What is it about Starbucks?

I like their coffee and I typically don't wait if I go through the drive thru. Their blonde roast is what I get. It can take a while if I take the wife as she will order a crazy drink, low carb, heavy whip type thing that I can barely pronounce. In our area it's just Starbucks or Dunkin and Dunkin always tastes burnt to me. I typically try to find local places when I'm traveling around but for box store coffee it's always starbucks for me. As a parent though my kids won't be going, loads of sugar in most of those drinks, ie Pink Drink.
Thats the thing right? no foam, light foam, oatmilk, almond milk, extra shot, extra caramel drizzle....UGH just drink coffee you damn hipsters!

Red cup? Did someone say red cup day?

Thats the thing right? no foam, light foam, oatmilk, almond milk, extra shot, extra caramel drizzle....UGH just drink coffee you damn hipsters!
It short circuits their baristas when you don't do the hipster thing. Dude ahead of you: "Uhhh...yeahhhh...give me, like, a tall grande free trade organic super mocha choco latte mint americano frappuccino, extra hot, medium foam, two shots, three pumps of chai spice amaretto, two splendas".

After his five minute order, you walk up and say "Large coffee".

After a short blank stare by the barista, zie/they/zey/zir reply, "Venti?"

"Large"

I like Starbucks but I only drink coffee black.

And as an aside, my daughter works at a Starbucks. The stories she tells about customers and their orders make me shake my head.

I don't speak Starbucksian right @JB

Honestly, I used to like to go to a Starbucks near my old place to write. I think their coffee is ok, nothing crazy that I ever crave though. And no, i don't understand the crazy lines that are always there.

I went inside twice in the past week in the afternoon and had no one in front of me. Some locations are busier than others, and the morning rush is always busy.

Probably one of the few who can say I've NEVER been to a Starbucks and no plans to visit one

you just found out that you’d have to add your own Bourbon, they wouldn’t do it for you.

I know. Deal breaker… 😂

Good lord this is a question I ask my wife all the time. All she says is it's the best. She said she get's the same thing at other places and it just doesn't taste the same. And my retort is it doesn't taste the same because other places taste better😁

Then I ask about the wait, she doesn't care. I ask about the price, she doesn't care. I ask about how there are so many better local shops, she doesn't care. I don't have an answer for you but there has to be some kind of brainwashing going on. It's my only conclusion lol

Also I don't know how many times I've been informed on the progress of the Starbucks that is being built in our Target. I don't go in to target by myself very often but I know how the Starbucks is coming along :ROFLMAO:

Not a coffee person but am amazed by how much money people are willing to spend for a drink.
I read somewhere that us millennials on average will spend more in Starbucks and Uber than their 401K contributions over their life.

Good lord this is a question I ask my wife all the time. All she says is it's the best. She said she get's the same thing at other places and it just doesn't taste the same. And my retort is it doesn't taste the same because other places taste better😁

Then I ask about the wait, she doesn't care. I ask about the price, she doesn't care. I ask about how there are so many better local shops, she doesn't care. I don't have an answer for you but there has to be some kind of brainwashing going on. It's my only conclusion lol

Also I don't know how many times I've been informed on the progress of the Starbucks that is being built in our Target. I don't go in to target by myself very often but I know how the Starbucks is coming along :ROFLMAO:
It seems like the general rule in most metro areas is that if you stand outside the front door of a Starbucks, you should be able to see the next closest Starbucks.

Surprised I can't find it in Giphy, but there was one from a Simpsons episode where they were standing in a mall watching the Starbucks stores multiply until the whole mall was full of them.

Haha, my wife always says "I want my coffee to not taste like coffee". I'm a large black coffee drinker. I want my coffee to taste exactly like coffee!

You guys have no idea of the lunacy that Tim Hortons is up in Canada. It's a borderline cult.

At least Starbucks makes good coffee. I mean it's legitimately good. The Pike Roast i genuinely enjoy and i'm not even a huge coffee guy. Now , i won't wait for 30 minutes for one but at least it's decent coffee

Tim Hortons up in Canada makes terrible coffee, and people will wait in drive thru's that are 30 cars long for one. It's lunacy. It's like part of the culture or something. They've hookwinked all of us into thinking we're good Canadians for going there.

So i get where the OP is coming from...But it's even worse with Tim Hortons here

Never been and never will.........

As I sit here waiting for my daughter to get her pink drink for 20 minutes I started thinking…why? Why is there always a huge line and a slow wait? Why is this acceptable and why do customers continue to subject themselves to this punishment? Is there crack in the drinks?

I mean I like their coffee but I rarely get any of the fancy stuff. I find it so odd.
I grab my 4 shots of espresso from Starbucks every single morning. I have never waited more than 5 - 6 minutes from the time I walk in the door to the time I leave. I would guess you need to find a place that hires staff that can handle higher volume.

In downtown city areas (like mine,) I have found that Starbucks is quite efficient. In more suburban/rural areas (where the number of frappucinos probably outweighs the number of coffee drinks) there definitely seems to be a slowdown.

I don't get it. To me, before the Covid robbed me of my taste for coffee, Starbucks coffee always smelled and tasted like it was burnt. Or it was the coffee that had been sitting a pot all day.

I'm not waiting in line for it.

To answer the question of "what is it about Starbucks:"

In every city, state, country, and planet I have been to, you can always* find a Starbucks, and it is always the same. When you're working in Central Asia and haven't been home in 6 months, that morning routine of grabbing the same thing you drink back home is comforting.

Super consistent everywhere.

Secret menu makes people feel special, a la in-n-out.

No clue how they stay staffed, seems miserable
Lots of college grads with worthless degrees...

I don't get it. To me, before the Covid robbed me of my taste for coffee, Starbucks coffee always smelled and tasted like it was burnt. Or it was the coffee that had been sitting a pot all day.

I'm not waiting in line for it.
Yup, this. I find their coffee undrinkable.

The first time I tried it in St. Louis, I thought I just got a bad cup. I tried it again the next day when I was in Denver, and had the exact same experience. So, yes, they are indeed consistent ... consistently terrible coffee. Not for me.

I don't get the attraction at all.

I don’t get it, just good marketing but..

This thread did make me watch Bert Kreischers’ Starbucks bit…”Room for cream?”

I don’t get it…….but then again I’m good with 7-11 coffee or even instant in a crisis

I don't see the appeal. I think a couple of drinks on their menu are okay, but they are pretty terrible for you and wildly overpriced.
It's so crazy to me how many people at work will lecture others about how terrible soda is for you while holding a PinkDrink™ in their right hand.

Personally, I'd rather make my coffee at home but work loves to give out Starbucks gift cards so I tend to go there semi-often for Blonde Roast or Americano (if it's a rough morning).

I think it's mostly the drive through, prices and availability. Starbucks is genuinely decent quality coffee and food. I prefer small local coffee shops when I can but Starbucks is my go to for a drive thru. I will rarely go in to the store, if I have time for that I'm going to a local spot.

Anecdotally there is a regional chain here called better buzz that has drive throughs and is even crazier waits then Starbucks. They are similar quality but not nearly as good as some of the small shops on the same streets. I really think its all about the drive through.

Yep I'm that guy! Starbucks in the burbs but I choose a local shop if there is one. IMG_20211118_080334_01.jpg

Hey babe, wanna hit up Starbucks and get a mocha choca bull s*hit?

Back