Have you ever sworn off a course?

Matthews and Kaprisov showing off their hands and wild win the shootout.
Agreed. But perhaps best for the NHL thread? Haha… I can only give a hard time because I’ve done the same thing this year.

I haven’t sworn off a course before. So few tracks around here that I’ll play whatever I can get.

very sadly yes. There was a muni dad and i played many times. I’ve played it many times in the years since. This year it was just in the worst shape ever. It’s almost always in only so so shape. But after the last time, they lost about 6 greens no sand…in any trap, fairways aren’t mowed well, no water, no ball cleaners. Yet other city owned munis have sand, have bag cleaners etc. so my wife asked i torture myself. I guess it was the connection to my dad, but no more. I’ll not return.

Now, there’s a second course, where the Marshall makes everything bad our fault, instead of acting he just blames whoever complains. If it’s too slow there’s a reason if I’m too slow it’s course I’m walking, he’s rarely seen and i gave up talking to him, or for that matter even acknowledging that he exists, which sort irritates him, oh well. This course is on my why bother list. Maybe I’ll go back but why torture myself.

Yes a couple of course over here , one l had played previously and said wouldn’t return , we Ended up playing it in golf group somehow , l will not go back , l said it should be turned into a bombing range .

Another ordinarily flat featureless track and as fulfilling as cardboard chips …..
will not return there either , l want variation and interest in a game of 18 holes not similarly challenging sameness

Couple courses near me that just aren’t worth the money for the conditions. I’d rather just not.

My freshmen year we played a course that had dandelions on the greens, a sewage plant in the middle of the course, and just awful conditions. Said I'd never go back and I didn't. It's now closed, overgrown, and the clubhouse burned down years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes....the course was in horrible condition, the worst I have ever seen a course. All dirt tee boxes to very patchy greens. We caught up to a worker and asked about the course and he said the owner doesn't care and will not out any money into the course. Bye bye

Agreed. But perhaps best for the NHL thread? Haha… I can only give a hard time because I’ve done the same thing this year.

Can honestly say I was super confused. Thanks for clarifying!

Played a Faldo course this past summer that will not be anywhere near the top of my list for replay if in the area. My demeanour that day was probably not good as we were playing 36 and it was cartpath only but what drove me crazy was that probably 60% of the tea shots were completely blind and you had no idea what was happening to the poor after it crested the hill. As well the rough was long and thick so we spent way too much time looking for balls that ran down the opposite side of the crest because no fairway was flat with very steep runoffs. Made for a lot of walking.

Today I played a course which 8 years ago I said I would never play again and today confirmed that 8 years ago, I was right. Last time I played this course, it was raining sideways, and the course is already so hard, the LPGA took it off their list of courses. Too hard to be enjoyable and not even as a challenge (the Ocean Course in Kiawah, formerly rated the most challenging course in the country, was an enjoyable challenge, this course felt way harder). A new friend asked me to play today, and I thought I would give it a shot. I played really well, but I should not have gone back or have suggested a different course. This course plays nothing near its rating.

Have you encountered a course like this? What makes you say you're never going back?
I haven't sworn off a course, but I do absolutely hate when a course rating feels way off. PGA Riviera Maya was like this. It had a 121 course rating and there's just absolutely no way.

There's a couple I'd rather not play again, but none I've sworn off....sworn at yes!

I have not, but one ofy favorite layouts around here was in awful condition the last time I played it. Weeds growing in sand traps, long grass in the fairway, bare patches on almost every green. I have not been back, but I probably will at some point.

There was one course we played two years in a row on our Myrtle Beach trip that was horrible. I told the group that I wasn't making the trip if that course was ever on the list. We have never been back. I can't even remember the name now, but conditions were horrendous and the layout just bizarre.

Sworn off? Probably not. I can think of at least 1 that I would rather not play again.

Greg Norman designed a course in Roanoke north of Ft Worth. Hardest course I’ve ever played. Jacked up for no real reason. When Feherty played it, he said he felt like he was told to stand in the corner of a round room.

There are a couple around me where the conditions are just bad. I don't play them often, but if I want to get some swings in tee to green, I'll go there and just not putt

Yup Tobacco Road in North Carolina. They ruined a great gravel quarry when they built that POS.

I’m more offended by an immaculately groomed course than any goat pasture, I don’t thing I’d ever swear off a course for poor conditions. There is a local course that I have no desire to play again, it’s gimmicky, silly penal and no fun.

Several local courses. I don’t care if the round is free. I’m not playing. The combo of poor conditions and poor layout drives me away. My time is too precious to spend 4 hours frustrated.

Any Nicklaus design :LOL:

Yup Tobacco Road in North Carolina. They ruined a great gravel quarry when they built that POS.
Interesting take. I liked that course.

Cimmerone and royal st augustine are on my local do not play list here in NE FL.

There’s a local course less than 10 minutes from me that I’ve sworn off. It has been poorly maintained for the last couple years and last season, they lost several greens because of really bad mowing errors.

Last edited:
Back