Tornado Flattens Joplin, Mo

Even though I've lived in Missouri all my life and have seen first hand the damage large tornadoes do, it's still stunning. Not that there's a bright side to this situation, but the actions of the first responders, national guard, medical personnel, etc has been very inspiring. Some of the stories about the people who worked at the hospital that was effected are amazing. I know locally here in Kansas City the fund raising and collections have already started, they're asking people to wait to donate blood because they've already had so many donate, the local television channels had fund raising campaigns on TV tonight, grocery stores have kicked in with making it easy to donate goods at their stores, and the Chiefs are helping organize a huge campaign to get bottled water to Joplin.

Amazing! This is exactly why America is the single greatest country in the world.

I just found out my Grand daughter and her mom were there when it happened. 6 blocks from the hospital that was destroyed. They were afraid to tell grandpa. Thank God above they are ok.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Well, it appears my Dad is officially a 'tornado victim.' He's perfectly fine and no injuries, but he went to pick up his dry cleaning today, and was told it 'blew away with the wind.'

Truthfully, I'm surprised to hear the building itself was even still standing.

My wife was raised in MO. She has some friends in Joplin and they say it is much worse than you can imagine. It was over before they knew what was going on. I'm not one to tell people how to spend their cash, but this year in particular would be a good year to skip that extra golf purchase and donate something to any reputable charitable organization.

And there's tornado warnings in Joplin again tonight. They can't catch a break.

Last I heard the death count in Joplin alone was at 122 and something like 1500 missing, but they expect a lot of those just left to stay with family elsewhere. 13 more deaths in four states overnight and one tornado touched ground in Texas, close to Dallas, in the small town my sister and family live. Getting pretty crazy, but early to mid June we should see these taper off some.

Smallville or anyone else in KC-did you get any of the bad weather today? On this side of the state a few funnel clouds have been spotted. The one that just went through Sedalia missed my house in the country by about 15 miles....

It has been a terrible year for tornadoes and I feel so bad for the families affected by such an awful disaster! My prayers are with the families who have had to deal with this terrible weather and the results which have been horrendous.

Another round is on the way. Unfortunately we in West TN are at a 9 out of 10 on the Tor-Con scale for tonight. Hopefully the predictions are wrong, but I'm preparing for the worst nonetheless.

I saw a thing on the news about one huge tornado with 3 smaller ones traveling inside it. That is some kind of devastation traveling across the land right there.

Smallville or anyone else in KC-did you get any of the bad weather today? On this side of the state a few funnel clouds have been spotted. The one that just went through Sedalia missed my house in the country by about 15 miles....

We had the sirens going off here and it was really windy and raining buckets but nothing serious. There were reports of funnels just south of me, but nothing here. Sedalia (about 2 hours east of here) got hit with an F2, but there was just mainly property damage. About 20 people got hurt, but nothing major. Duey's daughters live in Sedalia and we talked and texted back and forth for a while today. He said they were all OK.

Just heard there were tornadoes in Northern California today too. Crazy stuff!

We had the sirens going off here and it was really windy and raining buckets but nothing serious. There were reports of funnels just south of me, but nothing here. Sedalia (about 2 hours east of here) got hit with an F2, but there was just mainly property damage. About 20 people got hurt, but nothing major. Duey's daughters live in Sedalia and we talked and texted back and forth for a while today. He said they were all OK.

By the way, a huge thanks to Smally for all the help yesterday! I was a bit freaked out when my daughter texted me at work to say she was huddled in a basement and a tornado was on the ground in town, lol. I had no idea where my son or other daughter and my grand babies were at, or the many friends I have there. With no tv available for information, Mike was nice enough to be my eye's and ears for some anxious father moments.

Thank You a Ton Mike!

Smallville, that was awesome of you to do that for Due. I work on the plaza nd we got the rain and had a few swirls above us, but nothing touched down up here. Now, I live up north and was on the phone with my wife every ten minutes as it rolled through up towardm y house, making sure she had my daughter, dog and cats all int he basement. I work in the basement of my building so we sat around here listening to the radio while I watched chopper vids on the computer. A couple hours after eveything moved through, I was out in the offices and one of my coworkers sent me a photo that her brother sent ot her from the guard shack at the Ford plant in Claycomo or a funnel. I can't post it right now, but I will try to get it up tonight. My house is a few miles form that plant. Luckily, no damage that anyone has reported yet.

Prayers go out to all those affected - I know I've already donated. I remember stepping out the front door at work on Monday and seeing a cloud touching the ground - thank god it wasn't a tornado.

Smalls, that was an awesome gesture for a friend. Here's to hoping the severe weather has past for everyone.

Tap before talk.

Sirens going off here right now. Liz and her cats in a closet but no room for all three, lol. Ugly looking sucker on tv and there is rotation.

Gotta love this weather.

Tap,Tap,Tap

These storms suck. Cable and dish is out, my phone just has a signal once in a while. 90 mph winds, but the rotation is past us thankgoodness

Tap,Tap,Tap

Glad to hear the trouble is past you duey.

Glad to hear the trouble is past you duey.

Thanks buddy, crazy strong winds, hail and lightning. Not sure I want to see my yard, haha

Tap,Tap,Tap

Back