Tornado Flattens Joplin, Mo

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just in shock looking at the pictures of Joplin this morning. Coming from that general region, I know a ton of people there and have been in a lot of those buildings that are no longer even there.

Please pray for those who have been effected by such a tragedy. The last count I've heard is 89 dead and growing. They have not even started a missing count yet. What a shame.

Unreal due. I hope all of your friends are safe.

We had some really strange clouds coming through Ohio yesterday.. Hail and temp changes... I was starting to wonder what we were going to see, but it passed over.

I'v been checking the pictures out and it looks pretty bad. This weather has been unreal so far this spring after a not so good winter here in Indiana.

So far so good, everyone seem's accounted for, but word is coming through very slowly. Liz's 92 yo aunt and other family members were actually in a restaurant having dinner when it came through. The roof raised while they hunkered down and it just sat back down for them.

When they went outside everything was destroyed but their car. Back window busted out and dents everywhere, but they hoped in and drove an hour home, lol.

Such a pretty area and home for like 50 thousand I think. About 30% of Hopkins is just gone the news said.

Tap,Tap,Tap

We are having some really wild weather this year all over the country. glad t hear that your friends are safe there due. My thought and prayers go out to those that lost loved ones.

Praying for everyone affected. Awful weather tragedies happening of late.

Saw this last night. Praying for everyone that lost family, friends, and possessions.

tappin from the THP 2011 Outing at PGA National

Can't imagine what they are going through. What's worse is they are expecting more severe weather. Such a tragedy.

Definitely keep these guys in your prayers. I hope all your friends are ok Due!

Can't imagine what they are going through. What's worse is they are expecting more severe weather. Such a tragedy.

That's what I just heard, another round coming through later today. That area gets plenty of tornadoes as Pierce City, not far from there, was leveled just a few years ago. They are bringing in cadaver dogs and beach teams right now.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I just cant believe the amount of tornados we have seen already this year. We had some nasty storms come through Indiana yesterday, and while I normally could just care less about it any more, all I can think about when these storms come through are the number of tornados that have happened already this year. Weren't there like 70-some tornadoes in the south in one day? I can't remember for sure, but I'm ready for storm season to be over and for summer to be here. I hate this time between spring and summer when we always get a ton of rain and storms. I hope all your friends are OK and that they can rebuild their lives again and get back to normal as soon as possible.

My parents live in Neosho, Missouri, about 20 miles south, and naturally, I've been to Joplin a lot while visiting them. They are fine.

My dad, who works for a bank down there, is expecting to assess damage to the branch banks in Joplin today. If he thinks to take pictures, I will post them here.

This is the second highly destructive tornado in a short time period. A few years ago, a confirmed F5 tore though the country side south of joplin and north of neosho. Following that tornado, it was impossible to tell where homes used to be, and the only reason a person would know is if a local told them 'homes used to be there.' Trees were literally uprooted from the ground. If I recall right, that tornado had a mile wide base.

About 5 years ago, the area was devastated by a massive ice storm that dumped upwards of 4-5" of ice. Some residents were without power for close to a month as a result of that ice storm, and had to be placed with willing families with electricity and hot water.

The area seems to be storm prone, but they always come out ahead.

Glad to hear your parents are ok down there. I lived in Lamar, about 40 miles from there, but spent a ton of time in the Joplin, Neosho, Pittsburg area. They certainly get their share.

non-professional pictures of damage

non-professional pictures of damage

Its just crazy to think what used to be a big commercial strip of mega stores and restaurants is now just a giant pile of rubble.

Here are some lovely quality cell phone pictures taken by my Dad. the first and last pictures used to be a Burger King with a play room for the kids. Probably not child-safe now.

Heard about this through the news channels and it's frightening to say the least. Prayers go out to those that are affected and for the safety of those still left ot there. I'm glad everything is good on your end, Duey. Hope your family stays safe.

I've been following this and it looks bad. I was just talking to my wife last week when here in MD they were talking about an EF0 tornado that went through a cornfield here. I said to her that mind as well have been a cloud sneezing compared to a real tornado. This one in Joplin is as bad as they get and from the sounds of it, it's probably extremely lucky that there weren't a lot more dead considering it hit the hospital.

My prayers go out to everyone in that area. Man tornadoes are a new thing to me. Living back on LI I never had to worry about them.

Definitely going to keep those affected by this in our prayers!

It was recently reported that it is up to 116 confirmed dead. The largest single tornado killer since the late 40's I think. Sad, sad day in the Ozarks. It is an wierd feeling for me as I have been to Joplin many times. I have driven down those streets and been in many of those destroyed buildings. Very strange to see those large stores like Home Depot and Wal-Mart without a roof and walls. Luckily the 6 co-workers from my company that live there all came out okay. One guy's home was leveled, though he and his family came out unharmed fortunately.

My wife is an RN at a hospital in Springfield about 70 miles away and she got a call about 10:30 last night (they have a 'disaster tree' call list in each unit) to see if she would be able to come in since they were going to get many of the injured from Joplin. She is on medical leave from having neck surgery a few weeks ago, so even though she wanted to, she is just not physically capable yet.

It has been raining and storming again most of the day so that has to make recovery efforts much slower.

It was recently reported that it is up to 116 confirmed dead. The largest single tornado killer since the late 40's I think. Sad, sad day in the Ozarks. It is an wierd feeling for me as I have been to Joplin many times. I have driven down those streets and been in many of those destroyed buildings. Very strange to see those large stores like Home Depot and Wal-Mart without a roof and walls. Luckily the 6 co-workers from my company that live there all came out okay. One guy's home was leveled, though he and his family came out unharmed fortunately.

My wife is an RN at a hospital in Springfield about 70 miles away and she got a call about 10:30 last night (they have a 'disaster tree' call list in each unit) to see if she would be able to come in since they were going to get many of the injured from Joplin. She is on medical leave from having neck surgery a few weeks ago, so even though she wanted to, she is just not physically capable yet.

It has been raining and storming again most of the day so that has to make recovery efforts much slower.

Glad to hear your co-workers all made it out ok. I know you guys get your share up there as well and I am at least glad these didn't get to you guys or Central Mo where my kids and grand kids live. Worst death damage from a tornado in 50 years they were saying and we have a ton of people training in Nebraska right now to go down there as relief volunteers. Crazy stuff.

When you see the devastation up-close, these events become more than background noise on the news. It seems like each wave of storms this year is more brutal than the previous storms. Lets hope there are no more. It is going to take many years for all the affected areas to recover, if recovery is even possible. And the loss of life is heartbreaking...

I understand that feeling, I'm pretty handy with my chain saw but unable to help clean up around here due to TKR (total knee replacement) a few weeks before the storms hit.

Even though I've lived in Missouri all my life and have seen first hand the damage large tornadoes do, it's still stunning. Not that there's a bright side to this situation, but the actions of the first responders, national guard, medical personnel, etc has been very inspiring. Some of the stories about the people who worked at the hospital that was effected are amazing. I know locally here in Kansas City the fund raising and collections have already started, they're asking people to wait to donate blood because they've already had so many donate, the local television channels had fund raising campaigns on TV tonight, grocery stores have kicked in with making it easy to donate goods at their stores, and the Chiefs are helping organize a huge campaign to get bottled water to Joplin.

Back