The Car Shopping Thread

Just priced my new car that I bought in the spring to see what they would offer. Tempting….

This whole thing is bat sh!t crazy. We traded my wife's POS 2016 Dodge Dart in in May of 2020 on a 2017 RAV 4 LE. The sticker price on the RAV 4 was $16,999. With our trade in we were still 6k under water but out from underneath the POS known as the Dodge Dart and my wife was in a vehicle that was more suitable to transport our scent dog (though she lacked the AWD drive she probably needed). My wife went into our local Toyota dealer yesterday. They're giving her 21K for her RAV 4 toward the purchase of a new 2021 RAV4 XLE AWD. She'll end up $568.00 under water on the old loan and into a car 3 years newer. They already told her that they'll probably get 25K for her car when they put it on the lot......and it won't last 1 day. Her new car should be here by the 10th.

I've been craving buying a car for quite some time (I'll never sell my truck), but I'm buying used. I want something fun to drive. I've been in a truck or large SUV for the better part of the last 20 years. But I'm not touching this market for at least a year. This is f***ing nuts. Sorry endless Genesis, Infinity, Acura, BMW and Lexus searches. I'll pick you up again next year........or the next. Insane.

The used car market is insane. I mentioned this a few pages back but i'm looking at upgrading my modded Rav4 TRD for either a Tacoma TRD Pro or a 4runner TRD Pro. Toyota offered me 87% of retail value for my Rav , it's 2 years old with 22k KM on it.

I'm decided on a 2022 4runner TRD Pro if i do make the leap---Gotta decide before February or i won't get the car until 2023

On the fence. I definitely don't need the Runner. The Rav4 is plenty for the snow rallying and trails i do. But the Runner Pro is one of the most iconic offroad beasts on the market. A lot of this is just image LOL. But i do want it

New car and already 1500 miles on it from drive to FL. What a smooth and quiet ride compared to 430 and couldn’t be happier.

The time is coming near to replace our old GMC Sierra family mobile.

I want a 18-19 Sierra Denali, wife wants a Palisade or Telluride. Whoever offers highest trade in will probably win our business.

Just priced my new car that I bought in the spring to see what they would offer. Tempting….
It is both intriguing and aggravating at the same time hahaha

Constantly dangling out there, waiting to be plucked.

I want a 18-19 Sierra Denali, wife wants a Palisade or Telluride. Whoever offers highest trade in will probably win our business.
We almost traded in our '17 Sierra for a Telluride. It's hard to go from a pickup to no pickup though.

We almost traded in our '17 Sierra for a Telluride. It's hard to go from a pickup to no pickup though.
That's my concern. But I'm trying not to knock it until I try it.

Our pickup with tonneau cover has been insanely versatile. I feel like the smaller motor SUVs are much less capable overall.

I drove my wife to work today due to weather and we drove down car dealer row, Honda had 0 used cars maybe 3-4 new cars, BMW/Audi had 4 cars and the Toyota lot was completely empty. I'm waiting a year for a new car, it's pretty insane out there now.

I drove my wife to work today due to weather and we drove down car dealer row, Honda had 0 used cars maybe 3-4 new cars, BMW/Audi had 4 cars and the Toyota lot was completely empty. I'm waiting a year for a new car, it's pretty insane out there now.
I'm with you. All the car lots here are basically empty and the cars left are sold at full MSRP. It's a good time to sell our awesome car basically for what we paid for it 4yrs ago. Then wait until the lots are full again.

If you haven't already I would suggest checking apps like Carvana & Vroom as well. I have used both w/ great success. I bought my current vehicle from Vroom this summer as they had the exact midsize SUV I wanted in the trim I wanted (Nissan Rogue/Midnight Edition) and it was a decent amount less than anywhere local. They also offered me about $3k more for my trade ('15 Audi A3). Their offer was actually more than I paid for that car a couple years ago. GL!!

As an insurance agent I speak w/ car dealers every day. No one has cars right now. My clients ordering new cars are waiting months for them sometimes.

In the process of selling mine now for a nice profit. Will be getting a new lease for another SUV in the next few weeks.

Went to the Hyundai/Genesis dealer yesterday just to window shop. My wife wants to see difference between GV80 and Palisade. The salesman said the higher end Palisades have 5k markup and GV80s the same. There is a stack of 40 buyers with deposits for color combos on the Palisades. He told us that Hyundai said they would be at 80% inventory by March so to wait. He said once they get back to 80% inventory they would take the 5k markup off.

I got a cash offer of $35K (Vroom) for my Tucson, which is a whopping $9K more than I paid (before taxes and fees) when I got the car in March ‘21. It’s killing me not to be able to take advantage, but without any deals there’s just nothing out there that interests me in a similar price range.

My wife says once a week let’s get you a car. I love my old 2010 Hyundai Veracruz. Rides well. I use it for my sales car. It does everything I need. Plus nobody is going to steal it because it ain’t that pretty. My clubs in the back are worth more than the whole car but I love it.

We have 300k on our ‘07 Tahoe which is amazingly good shape for its age/mileage (kiss of death right there?). 😳

My biggest fear is it craps out before things “normalize” in the auto industry and we have to replace it… I’ll be hosed. There is no bang for your buck in car buying these days.

We have 300k on our ‘07 Tahoe which is amazingly good shape for its age/mileage (kiss of death right there?). 😳

My biggest fear is it craps out before things “normalize” in the auto industry and we have to replace it… I’ll be hosed. There is no bang for your buck in car buying these days.
I'm going to sell our BMW and make a profit then sit on the sidelines until the inventory sparks up again. My motto - never lose money.

My lease is up in 2 months. It's worth way more than my residual buyout so I plan to buy it. But do I keep it or sell it right away to make that profit? Or get something else haha its not like I love this Jeep GC but its fine other than cost of gas.

My lease is up in 2 months. It's worth way more than my residual buyout so I plan to buy it. But do I keep it or sell it right away to make that profit? Or get something else haha its not like I love this Jeep GC but its fine other than cost of gas.
Depends on what the value is there I would guess. It kind of stinks to drop it off, knowing if you bought it, you could trade it in for more money, if that is what is happening.

Got a letter and email from the dealership I bought my car from offering 5 to 8k depending on condition for my truck. Issue is I don't have another car or want to enter the market for another car right now.

That is the biggest draw back with that vehicle. Crazy to think something as "ordinary" as that vehicle gets something so lousy on gas.

Awesome that its worth so much more than residual. I see that as you have to be picky about the sale, knowing you are going to get a little on the other side of the deal with the increase/availability of cars right now.

I don't lease and don't mind "aged" cars, so .02 for you

Depends on what the value is there I would guess. It kind of stinks to drop it off, knowing if you bought it, you could trade it in for more money, if that is what is happening.
Yeah I just can't bring myself to turn it in when Carvana is offering me roughly 9k more than the cost to purchase from the lease. Why give that money to the dealer? I can't.

Yeah I just can't bring myself to turn it in when Carvana is offering me roughly 9k more than the cost to purchase from the lease. Why give that money to the dealer? I can't.
The biggest hurdle is the tax part of it.
Turn it in and start from scratch, or buy it outright and then trade it in if you would like for something else. Follow the sales tax though and make sure you are getting the benefit.

It seems like inventories are starting to improve although there are still huge supply chain shortages making it a sellers market. I saw yesterday that Ford has suspended taking orders until June for their new Maverick Pick Up that starts at $19,995. The orders they currently have won’t be filled until mid summer or later and the problems aren’t just with the Maverick. I still have no idea when we will get our Bronco that we ordered 12 months ago. Many of the Bronco order holders won’t take delivery until 2023.

The used market is still crazy. My daughters 2015 VW Beetle convertible is worth more with 50k miles on it than what we paid for it 6 years ago when it was almost new.

Back