Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

My biggest concern with “loft jacking” is gapping. If I’m suddenly able to hit a 200yd 7i that means my 8 is probably 188, 9 is about 175, and P is 160. My gap wedge is only about 110 so now I have a huge gap in the scoring area.
I’m not a big hitter by any stretc, but at most of the places I play, which are mostly around 6300yd, I rarely hit more than an 8I as it is. What would I do if I’m hitting a P farther than my current 8?

Good is the greatest ego game there is. Every thing about it is a constant Johnson measuring contest.

Gosh I love it!

People care because they want to say they are competitive. Jealous is the more likely answer. I put up 315 on the bench and the first thing some guy told me was it is because I have short arms. Nothing you do will be accepted as equal by anyone.
So who is more jealous, the guy saying his GMSA 200y 7i and forward 72 are the same or the guy saying they are not?

And if I didn't have long arms, I'd be right there with ya buddy! ;) Maybe even 320. 😆

but not actually at all

Last edited:
ALRIGHT

So who is more jealous, the guy saying his GMSA 200y 7i and forward 72 are the same or the guy saying they are not?

And if I didn't have long arms, I'd be right there with ya buddy! ;) Maybe even 320. 😆
I would say the one claiming 72 from the front. It is a good score and if you can't hit the ball that far then play the correct tees. All golf competitions for mean are based off of further back tees. I never understood why people brag about how far they hit a club. Great you hit your 7i 200 yds. You still missed the green!

Or who is more jealous, the guy that wacks a 7 iron 200yards and 20 yards left of the green or the guy that hits a 160 yard 7 iron to 10 feet from the pin?

Isn't today's "loft jacked" clubs basically the same as old school clubs, when it comes to loft?
Old set had 4 - PW.
Loft jacked has 5 - GW.
Different numbers for essentially the same club?

Or who is more jealous, the guy that wacks a 7 iron 200yards and 20 yards left of the green or the guy that hits a 160 yard 7 iron to 10 feet from the pin?
And which one cares and talks more about how far their 7i goes because of that? And maybe even plays the wrong gear to hang onto that brag?

Isn't today's "loft jacked" clubs basically the same as old school clubs, when it comes to loft?
Old set had 4 - PW.
Loft jacked has 5 - GW.
Different numbers for essentially the same club?
Depends on who you ask, and probably how far they hit them. 😆

And which one cares and talks more about how far their 7i goes because of that? And maybe even plays the wrong gear to hang onto that brag?

Exactly. I know which one I care about. I know I can hit a GI 7 iron 200+ yards. I don't want to because it doesn't help to shoot lower scores. There is more to an iron's playing profile than just distance.

Got in a money game with some guys on the first tee about a year ago. So these 2 guys are so so but young and have jacked irons. 3rd hole Par 3 about 155, I hit a six iron (1997 Mizuno MBs) pin high 12ft right. Guy says what u hit telll him 6 iron. Hits his six and sends it, starts calling me ahole cheater etc. Now I was still standing there with my club and just hold it up and show him the 6 on the sole and walked back to the cart. He didn't say a word for the rest of the round. Call that jacking his money lol.

I actually don't agree with that premise at all and think it's a huge part of what's wrong with golf. Anyone can look good or bad (relative to their norm) on any given round, and conclusions based on it will mostly be wrong. But that's not really what the thread is about. It's about same truthful scores or same truthful club yardages with different starting points. It's about JACKAGE! 😆

Got in a money game with some guys on the first tee about a year ago. So these 2 guys are so so but young and have jacked irons. 3rd hole Par 3 about 155, I hit a six iron (1997 Mizuno MBs) pin high 12ft right. Guy says what u hit telll him 6 iron. Hits his six and sends it, starts calling me ahole cheater etc. Now I was still standing there with my club and just hold it up and show him the 6 on the sole and walked back to the cart. He didn't say a word for the rest of the round. Call that jacking his money lol.
You should've told him you were assessing a two stroke penalty on him under Rule 10.2a, for asking for club advice! :ROFLMAO:

I actually don't agree with that premise at all and think it's a huge part of what's wrong with golf. Anyone can look good or bad (relative to their norm) on any given round, and conclusions based on it will mostly be wrong. But that's not really what the thread is about. It's about same truthful scores or same truthful club yardages with different starting points. It's about JACKAGE! 😆

So, if i may. Lets play a little Q&A

Whats the difference if someone whos a scratch plays with his buddies who are 10s from the "whatever up tees" vs the back tees? One he shoots 66 the other he shoots 72......he used the same clubs right? The course is rated right? each tee box has its own rating and relative to their hdcp thats really all that matters. no?

I still am confused as to why "loft jacking" has anything to do with handicap at all? Not trying to be a richard either, i genuinely have no idea why its in the same conversation. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, when I post in the "What Did You Shoot Today?" thread or answer somebody who asks what my score was, I tell them the score. I don't tell them what tees I was playing from, the yardage, course rating and slope, and the differential score - although if they asked, I'd be more than happy to disclose it. I'm not hiding anything, it's just TMI in most cases.

Ask me how far I hit a 7 iron? Around 150. Ask what the loft of my 7 iron is? I'm gonna have to look that up, because I honestly don't know (or care) off the top of my head. All I care about is that I know if I have a shot around 150 yards, I need a 7 iron. If I was playing different clubs and my 7 iron went 140 or 160, I'd hit a 7 iron when I had a 140 or 160 shot.

So, if i may. Lets play a little Q&A

Whats the difference if someone whos a scratch plays with his buddies who are 10s from the "whatever up tees" vs the back tees? One he shoots 66 the other he shoots 72......he used the same clubs right? The course is rated right? each tee box has its own rating and relative to their hdcp thats really all that matters. no?

I still am confused as to why "loft jacking" has anything to do with handicap at all? Not trying to be a richard either, i genuinely have no idea why its in the same conversation. 🤷‍♂️
Well if you read the OP, the quote was about how the rating system sorts everyone out on the truth of the scoring a bit. But with clubs there's no rating system that levels the results for more accurate comparison, so there's more pride and hurt feelings in the end. That was the gist.

What if one 72 is at your home course while the other is at an away course? There are so many variables!

What if one 72 is at your home course while the other is at an away course? There are so many variables!
What if you shot a 72 when you were a single and just playing around but once someone put at $10/$10/$10 on you then you shot an 85?

Well if you read the OP, the quote was about how the rating system sorts everyone out on the truth of the scoring a bit. But with clubs there's no rating system that levels the results for more accurate comparison, so there's more pride and hurt feelings in the end. That was the gist.

hmmm. But what's the difference if someone shoots -2 with 20yr old non "loft jacked" clubs vs -2 with the most "jacked" ?? The premise that a great round of golf is more great because someone isn't using "jacked" clubs seems like a weak argument.

one isn't better than the other. Adding more distance doesn't automatically make you a better golfer just because. Egos are stupid. Especially on the golf course. 🤣🤣

What if you shot a 72 when you were a single and just playing around but once someone put at $10/$10/$10 on you then you shot an 85?
Too many variables!!!

hmmm. But what's the difference if someone shoots -2 with 20yr old non "loft jacked" clubs vs -2 with the most "jacked" ?? The premise that a great round of golf is more great because someone isn't using "jacked" clubs seems like a weak argument.

one isn't better than the other. Adding more distance doesn't automatically make you a better golfer just because. Egos are stupid. Especially on the golf course. 🤣🤣
It's not about the score you shot with which clubs its..

It's an analogy. This is like this, except for this. Did you read it? Same scores different tees - same yardage different clubs (loft etc). And the difference.

I just don’t have the time to worry about what other folks say they do. What does it matter. Some folks caught mobs dick, others had 309 girlfriends and some have superpowers on the golf course. Me, I just play my game since that is all that I have control over.

Life’s to short to worry about the things that don’t matter.

It's not about the score you shot with which clubs its..

It's an analogy. This is like this, except for this. Did you read it? Same scores different tees - same yardage different clubs (loft etc).
The easy answer is that people shouldn't be proud or have hurt feelings about how far they or somebody else hits a golf club. They're not you and you're not them, and it doesn't matter anyway unless you're a douche looking for cheap bragging rights. I sometimes score better than guys who hit it longer than me, and I sometimes get my butt whupped by little old men who hit driver on 180 yard par 3s.

What if one 72 is at your home course while the other is at an away course?
Depends on how many strokes you got and who won. :LOL:

And maybe what irons you play and how far they go.

Back