Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

THis is so sick!! I will be throwin my name in this hat!

1. What irons do you current play? Dunlop DDH irons steel shaft
2. What is your handicap index? 12
3. What do you look for in an iron set? consistency, forgiveness, and ability to shape shots
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Best looking set of irons i've ever seen. I much prefer the look of cavity back clubs. Nike products are first class, all the way.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? At a minimum, i'm going to the course once a week thur the end of November. As far as THP, I just discovered it today and i'm totaly impressed. I plan on being on several times a day and expressing my opinions (both good and bad). Now that you got me, you won't be able to get rid of me..........

1. What irons do you currently play? Ben Hogan FTX (steel, Apex 4 Stiff)
2. What is your handicap index? 13-16
3. What do you look for in an iron set? very little offset, traditional styling, little bounce, a higher launch (I hit it low, grew up playing in Oklahoma winds)
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I like the clean
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I would test them on the range at least 1x per week as well as playing actual rounds at least 3x per month. I also have access to a friend at Golf Galaxy who would let me hit them in their bays. My THP activity level includes checking daily, interaction with fellow local members trying to coordinate outings and occasional listings on BST, including a couple of sales to this point.

1. What irons do you currently play? Burner 2.0
2. What is your handicap index? 18
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Thin Top line and overall feel
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look awesome I like the idea of a progressive set.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play in Golfweek's amateur tour and have access to a driving everyday before work. If chosen I would be able to review them and give my progress every 2-3 days. I currently am on THP daily checking new post and new equipment reviews.

pick Me!

pick Me!

1. What irons do you currently play?
I currently use Bridgestone J33 forged CB's with S300 +1/2 long
2. What is your handicap index?
Handicap is an 8 trending down
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
I look for a forged iron that is easy to look at when addressing the ball, a little forgiveness the longer the iron and I don't like to sacrifice distance. Able to work shots when needed.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
On looks alone, these are the best irons out there...nothing else cosmetically compares
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
My testing plan is to first practice on the range for a few sessions on the launch monitor to calibrate the club distances. Then, I plan on playing atleast 54 holes a week and giving feedback on a weekly basis so it is not influenced so much by one round. As a new member of THP and an active member in the golf industry, I plan on weigjing in on many topics and helping with any advice I can.

Don't forget: +1/2 and a degree or 2 upright!

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Razr X Forged or Mizuno MP-53
2. What is your handicap index? 2.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Feel, performance, workability, turf interaction and look at address.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Stunning. Great look at address and in the bag.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If selected, I would compare these irons head to head with my other player's irons. I would complete side-by-side testing on the range and on the course and report my findings regularly on THP, Facebook and Twitter. Comparisons would include, but would not be limited to, feel, sound, ball flight, workability, appearance, turf interaction, forgiveness, etc. I would continue to post findings and results of my testing for the duration of the testing period as I spend time on THP every day.

Thanks THP and Nike!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Razr X Tour
2. What is your handicap index? 10
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Great feel and performance...but those two things together = awesome. Thats what I look for
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? dead sexy!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am on here quite a bit. I have tested things before on the forum. My plan would be to take these irons through the ringer and play them as much as possible. More importantly I will give my most honest feedback.

Callaway Razr X, Nike Machspeed
2. What is your handicap index? 16.1
I want to have a great sound/feel, control, distance and forgiveness where I need it. In my long irons I want something that goes long, straight and is not uber punishing on mishits. My scoring and mid irons I want something that I can control. Looks do have a part in it I do admit. While I didnt think the Machspeeds were the best looking they certainly performed and that made them great looking in my eyes.
Classic looking and I can almost hear/feel what these clubs would do on contact just by looking at them. I love the clean looks and have had the privledge of hitting the 8i at demo day. I also want to say how inviting these clubs look when you see all the clubs from top to bottom. The cavity and split cavity really add to that because it's not just a full set of blades staring you in the face.
I plan to be at the range 4-5 times a week with 1-2 rounds. Both of those go hand in hand but I always get min 1 round in a week and with summer prices coming into effect, that usually goes up. One of the approaches I have at the range (which I just recently adopted) is to hit each club in my bag, two balls at a time. This has really given me a good feel for switching clubs on the fly and improved my ballstriking. This also gives me a good idea as to which clubs do what with my swing and provides a good opportunity for feedback. As each session ends I will provide my thoughts but will do a weekly wrap up. I think its important for both because you have initial reaction and then the reaction after you've had a chance to soak in all in. For the first month or so, I won't do a lot of direct comparissons unless specifically asked. I believe the irons should be evaluated on their own merit at first from my point of view. Ill give general comparisons and analogies if needed to help describe the clubs.

I was hesitant at first because I'll have the Morgan CUp to perpare for. But I see this as an incredible opportunity. When I'm working at the range, getting dailed in to distances and what to expect from the clubs is important but I'm really focusing on my swing and mechanics. I've also always wanted to see how an iron considered more on the players would work for me on the course long term. I don't think I have a bad swing at all and with what I'm fixing I feel I could really put these irons through a good workout from a mid cappers point of view. Also if able too, would be a great chance to test out graphite iron shafts. Been looking at that a lot lately.

I almost live on THP. I do joke from time to time but I also love giving input and interacting with everyone here. I don't have anything but work and golf coming up and that's gonna be what I'm doing for awhile. You won't see me drop off or leave. I'm here throughout the day even into the evening. I try to post my thoughts at different times because you get to interact with the different people on different time zones haha.

Thank you THP and Nike for putting this out there. Incredible!

Last edited:
Wow...another fantastic opportunity !!
Thanks THP and Nike !

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner 2.0

2. What is your handicap index? 5.1 ghin

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Some forgiveness, workability, some feedback, and they must look good(to me)

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These look good. They just look like a club that would fit my eye very well.

I live 2 blocks from 2 of the nicest courses in the area.
I play a minimum of 2 rounds a week and am on the range at least once a week as well. I would put my TM's aside for the duration of testing and reviews to give these clubs a complete and honest trial.
My activity level on THP is pretty high. I am on the forum several times a day.(my wife says I'm on here too much) I have over 1500 posts, I am currently testing the Hirzl gloves and would love to test the Nike VR Pro Combo irons.

Thanks again to THP and Nike for this great opportunity !!

Currently play Nike slingshot
Currently an 18 handicap and have played about 2 years
I look for feel in my irons. Weight and ease of hit.
I love the look of these irons. Been wanting to by set. Set a goal of break 85 and I will buy some hopefully.
I play golf 6 times a month at least. Going to play clubs at multiple courses and range. I am new to the forum but glad I found this forum. I am huge into golf digest.

Wow this is exciting. My favorite players iron from the demo day available to test long term! Pretty please. I actually just got back from Golfsmith and I was hitting these into the nets. It is so surprising how forgiving the long irons in this set are. Thanks to THP & Nike for this amazing opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di11's
2. What is your handicap index? 11
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiving long irons and accurate short irons. This set is perfect
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Nicest irons on the market today
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My activity level is a pretty constant 10 hours a day lol. I think I'm one of the more active members. My plans for testing would be identical to how I tested the Di11's. I would hit them multiple times a week at a local range and get in at least 18 holes a week.

2010 TaylorMade Tour Preferred, 2* upright, +0.5", KBS Tour Stiff shafts
GHIN 12.7 currently, but should be down a little at the next update because I have shot 78, 76, 79 for my last three full rounds and 37, 39, 37 for my last three nine hole rounds. My game is definitely shaping up at the right time!
Forgiving yet workable, thin top line and sole, durability, high quality, and good looks
Honestly, I have loved the look of these since they came out. I have hit them a few times (indoors) and thoroughly enjoy the look at setup. They give you instant confidence when standing over the ball. They look even cooler in the bag though! Going from a slight cavity back down to a blade simply looks cool.
I am a college student, so during the summer (which starts in one week for me) I work at a golf course four days a week. I get free golf and free range balls (grass and matts), so if I am not working, I am playing golf or practicing. I play at least 4 times a week, sometimes up to 6. I practice literally every day. A lot of times I will come to work an hour and a half early to practice before work, or play a few holes. And if it is still light outside when I get off, I practice or play a few holes then too. This would be perfect for testing because I could work with these clubs (range time and/or course time) literally every day for about three months. After the summer it would be down to 2-3 times a week. Also, I play a lot with some scratch or better golfers so I could have them hit a bucket or two with them and get their feedback as well. Lastly, I have a Kodak Playsport video camera that I attach to my Clic-gear, so I could capture many videos while practicing or playing with these clubs. If I am chosen, I will update THP very often, and will post my updates on FaceBook and Twitter.
As far as activity goes, I think I am very active on THP. I joined May 9 (2011) and have about 250 posts already. I believe I average about 10.5 posts per day. I really enjoy this site and all of the info/discussions on here. I try to add my 2 cents whenever possible. I have started a few threads, and plan on starting more, but most of the threads I think of are already up and going, which is why I love THP!

All in all I think I am a perfect candidate for this testing (what do I know though!?). I have the time and the resources to work with these clubs daily, and I am an active member. But I understand not everyone can be chosen. I just want to thank THP and Nike for giving us members this wonderful opportunity. I am looking forward to the reviews whether I am chosen or not.

Last edited:
It bears saying over and over, but thanks THP for such opportunities!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R9 - KBS stiff

2. What is your handicap index? 9.5

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I'm looking for forgiveness and control. I came from the old Taylormade 300 and Mizuno MP-37 sets prior and it was a big thing for me to move to cavity backs. I still carry my Mizuno's around with me as even now I feel more confident with them on the scoring clubs but realistically I'm no longer capable of hitting the longer iron blades and really could use the forgiveness most times on the mid-irons as well. I've never used a combo-set so this is definitely something I want to see; the progression of forgiveness through the set is something very interesting and important to me.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Clean and simple. It's how clubs should look IMO. I'm not a fan of huge clubheads (still in rehab as I'm a former card-carrying member of the blade-snobs club) and while I'm ok with thicker toplines and wider club faces (just the difference in width between my R9 and mp37s is scary), I still prefer a clean looking club and this definitely has it.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? First thing is I actually have a fairly difficult workout schedule Monday-Thursday. I take it easy Friday-Sunday so that I can spend those days golfing (otherwise I would be too sore). So most of my practice and playing will be Fri-Sun. I'm at the driving range all 3 of those days every week so commitment to that isn't an issue and I play 18 to 27 holes a week. My plan with them would be to simply integrate the new irons into my current schedule......I definitely want to spend the first 2 days getting used to them on the range and eyeballing my distances but I'll be trying to get on the course as much as I can to build trust and experience with them. As for the clubs themselves, I'm definitely going to concentrate on the difference in their cavity design as you get to from the 7 to the 4 iron as this is very important to me since I'm going back and forth on whether or not to get a 4-hybrid. As for my activity level on THP, I'll definitely be free to answer questions several times a day. I think I post fairly consistently although it's definitely not as much as some of the celebs here.

Wow this is exciting. My favorite players iron from the demo day available to test long term! Pretty please. I actually just got back from Golfsmith and I was hitting these into the nets. It is so surprising how forgiving the long irons in this set are. Thanks to THP & Nike for this amazing opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di11's
2. What is your handicap index? 11
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiving long irons and accurate short irons. This set is perfect
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Nicest irons on the market today
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My activity level is a pretty constant 10 hours a day lol. I think I'm one of the more active members. My plans for testing would be identical to how I tested the Di11's. I would hit them multiple times a week at a local range and get in at least 18 holes a week.

You did such a wonderful job testing the Di11's!

Nike Iron Testing

Nike Iron Testing

TaylorMade R7’s

Currently playing to a USGA handicap index of 6

I admire an Iron that has been designed to look timeless. When investing in a product for my game I try to choose a club that appears to have solid craftsmanship with superior quality. The top-line should be thin and the head size should be relatively compact for shot making ability but large enough to provide forgiveness. I also look for a soft but responsive feel and pleasing acoustics on well struck shots.

I think they are very stylish, probably one of the better looking set of Irons on the market. Blending MB’s and CB’s give the golfer a chance to gape over two beautifully forged styles of clubs in one set. If they play as good as they look Nike will win another follower.

I plan on testing these irons at the range at least twice a week (Mats and Grass) and on the course twice a week. I will provide information on each individual iron in the set; I will post written reviews, photos and video as needed. I will post the results on THP and Facebook as the data comes in. I can design my own testing parameters to report on, or follow a form provided by THP.
I’m a new member on THP but have been reading forums and articles from THP for about a year.
Thank you THP for this great opportunity! I look forward to working with you in the near future.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nickent 4dx CB
2. What is your handicap index? 16,2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Feel and performance
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? The shape and size look very nice, they look like players irons.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I usually play twice a week, a little more during the summer. I would be reporting my findings as they occur, at least once a week. I haven´t been testing anything for THP before, so you would be taking a gamble by selecting me:act-up:. Anyway, here´s me throwing my hat in!

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner 1.0 in stiff graphite shafts
2. What is your handicap index? 17
3. What do you look for in an iron set? beauty, forgiveness, confidence building looks, higher trajectory on longer irons, irons that will grow with me and improve my game
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? looks clean, nice lines, has traditional look with "hidden" technology for easier play, been hearing great things about this iron
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play at least once a week at the local muni courses. If selected, I would visit the range more often during the week to practice with these irons. With irons this good looking, it would be shame not to hit them well. I was a lurker for the first year or so on THP. Just reading and gaining valuable information from the forums and articles. Recently, I am posting more and providing my thoughts and comments. I've been selected to test a few balls the past year and have faithfully posted my reviews, in as much details as I can. I log on to THP at least once a day, while I may not post daily. Also, I'm active on facebook and twitter. If selected, I would diligently take on my responsibility to play, test, review, comment, and post my thoughts.

Thanks Nike and THP! Another great opportunity.

Thanks, THP and Nike! I think I've gone through every iron review on this site, looking for the next set. Love gear.

Mizuno MX-300s, GS95 shafts, 2 deg upright, 1/2 in short

18, with putting being my main weakness

Straight ball flight, good swingweight, and clean looks. Feel is important too, but I think the great feeling of hitting the ball where I want outweighs the great feeling of a buttery club. If I can have it all, then that is cause for celebration.

These look great, from the look of the club to the technology built in.

I just moved to NYC for work, but I chose to live in NJ so I can golf. I golf whenever I can, even if it means putting across my living room. Fortunately work is sometimes conducive to golf as well -- on a recent week-long work trip I played as many rounds of golf as I had meetings (5). The testing will begin with photos at home, move to the driving range for initial thoughts, iron by iron, and to find my groove, then take them out on the course for some real-world testing. Who knows, maybe some video? Of course, some real-time tweets for the immediate reactions.

Thanks for the opportunity and excited to be a part of the community.

First I would like to say thanks for this opportunity. I follow THP on Twitter and I lurk on the forums. I decided to officially join today. I hope this testing opportunity is open to those of us that hit from the wrong side.

* Currently playing the Taylormade R9's with Premio Grips
* Current handicap is 26 but steadily working it down
* I try to walk that line between max forgiveness and workability. I cant play blades but i hate looking down at a clunky GI iron. Basically, i want a set that looks great, feels great, inspires confidence at address, and helps me work the ball when i get in trouble while providing a little forgiveness in the longer irons. (That's not asking for too much, right?)
* I think these irons look awesome. Sleak and clean lines with a classic color combo.
* I'm an Account Manager so i do a lot of entertaining on the golf course. I also have a standing tee time every Saturday with friends and I also try to get a range sesion in during the week while on the road. I can commit to posting about these irons at least once per week on FB and Twitter (600 plus friends on FB and 50 followers on Twitter).

WOW, look at all these new signups :D

This are hot irons....
1. What irons do you currently play?I currently swing the Srixon 170i Tour irons
2. What is your handicap index? 4.4
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Consistency is big for me in my irons. I need to know that the gaps between the irons are consistant and that distances are true. If my stock PW travels 135, I need to know that it will do so everytime with a stock swing. I am forged head guy for this reason, I moved away from Cast heads years ago. Ball fkight is imporatant to me as well. Workability is key, I'm not the straigtest ball striker in the world and will need to manufacture a shot or two during the round. So moving the ball right to left or left to right, high or low is a must.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I've always been fond of the look of these irons. I think I grab them everytime I am in the golf shop. Good lines and great finish
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My plan is to put them in play right away. I will of course have the loft and lies checked but after that I will take my current sticks out and begining learn the ways of the VR Pro Combos. I hit the range a few times a week and I play at least once or twice a week. I will post after each session with the clubs and will solicate feed back from my playing partner.
I am a regular on the forums, I read all of the post that interest me and comment often. I think I am very active and try to engage others with topics I find interesting. I listen to the radio shows and rerad the news letters.

Thank you to THP and Nike for the chance....Who ever swings these clubs will be a fortunate person

I currently play Adams CB2 4-GW
I look for a clean look address while offering forgiveness and feedback.
On looks alone, these irons are outstanding. They have a very ‘classic’ look to them due to the fact that they are very clean and basic. The lack of excessive badging, graphics, etc make these very appealing to the eye.
I currently have 3 range sessions per week and play a round at least once per week as well. During my range sessions I really take the time to ‘practice with a purpose’ and analyze each shot. I would enjoy the opportunity to compare these to my CB2’s in terms of forgiveness, feel, etc. I am fairly new to the forum, however, anticipate being a long time member. I have visited other forums but none have the feel/culture of this one. I was just thinking the other day how I could contribute to the forum in a way other than just asking questions all the time and simply taking in information. I think this would be a perfect opportunity for me to share information with other THP’ers.

1. What irons do you currently play: Powerbilt Dynasty
2. What is your handicap index: 16.5
3. What do you look for in an iron set: I look for good looks in an iron, but most importantly an iron that lets me play my game and isn't too harsh.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons: On looks alone, I think these are beautiful irons. After hitting these, and having them in hand, they were sooooooo pretty :)
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP: Well, I am a member at a local executive course so I would be playing iron shots 85% of the time. I would go to the range and play full rounds with them. My activity on THP has been miniscule, but I have been busy with my baseball, hockey, golf and studies. (I know everyone can have an excuse) but I am on THP everyday reading the forums, or reviews. I hope I win, but good luck to the people that do if I don't! Thanks THP!

1. What irons do you currently play? 2007 Cobra FP
2. What is your handicap index? 24
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I want long irons that are forgiving but still look great in the bag and at address. I picked the Cobras because they were the kindest long irons I tried but the playing feel is a little dull.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look fantastic, nice and classic. I'm not (now) a massive fan of brightly coloured clubs, I think the bold blue graphics on my current irons have put me off. Understated is good.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I'm a brand new member on THP. To be honest I started playing in 2006 with a sports store complete set of clubs, got my current set in 2007, got injured in 2008 and stopped playing. I took it back up earlier this year and am now working hard to improve my game in all areas with daily visits to the local range & at least once a week playing the full course. Over the summer I'll be playing more full rounds. As far as activity here goes: I can't believe I didn't find THP sooner!

Thanks for the chance to try these things out.

1. What irons do you currently play? 2010 Taylor Made R9

2. What is your handicap index? 7.9

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Workability, length, forgiveness, feel, feedback, not a large top line

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? They look very appealing, more of a players iron than I am used to which I have been interested in for some time but haven't had the stones to buy. Simple, classy, just plain stylish looks.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have tested a putter for THP and would like to think I have done a good job. I can comfortably say I am one of the more active posters on THP since I have joined, (maybe top 150?).
I would initially test the new irons up against my current set and compare and contrast on the range. I will post pictures and video from the unboxing to the range and the course. From there I would honestly give feedback of the pro's and con's on a weekly or even round by round basis since I will be playing a couple of times a week during the summer. I believe in total transperancy in testing and if I love or hate them or anything in between, you will know! I would also give a good perspective for the above average player who is currently working hard to get better, but isn't quite in the class of a scratch type player.

Last edited:
Back