Brand Story: Understanding the Dominance of Odyssey Golf

Great read!

Fun fact....the first putter I ever purchased with my own money was a Dual Force Rossie Blade with the stronomic insert! I still have it today.

Fun article to read, its pretty amazing how long Odyssey has been the number #1 putter in golf.

Such good stuff, love looking at the history of those inserts, I think I've played almost all of them, great stuff!

Phenomenal read! 70% unpaid professionals using an Odyssey is mind blowing and quite refreshing.

Really great article JB. I love learning more about the brands and their history. I've played an odyssey putter for most of my golfing time yet did not know a lot of their backstory.

Great write up! Thank you for taking the time and effort.

Really enjoyed the article. My first name brand putter was a Rossie II, and I have been in the Odyssey camp for a majority of the years since. I love that they have such a variety of shapes and products to meet the eyes of so many different golfers, while the product variety is there to match the different putting strokes and alignment needs. The addition of Toulon has been a brilliant partnership so that the high end milled lines are covered as well as the insert lines that Odyssey has done better than anyone.

Good read. I knew they had a lion's share of the market, not that much of the market though and 70 percent of the players are unpaid. So impressive, and to think I have never used an odyssey putter.

Had a 15+ year love affair with a 2 Ball blade that ended a few months ago. It's on the wall just in case.

Great article. 70% is crazy. I don't think I knew this until last year too. The tour golf bags I'm sure helped educate a lot of people who watch.

Pretty cool to see the evolution of Odyssey and how their putters seem to always make their way into championship bags. I stand firm that the microhinge insert is the best they've done and one I find myself playing if I am not using a milled putter.

Great read. I didn't know how the company started and had no idea it had been #1 for so long and had won the putter count in 39 straight events. I knew that it was the #1 putter in majors for 10 years plus. That's dominance, that's a dynasty. It doesn't stay there with just product although that is undeniably huge. It has and had great people throughout the years. I'm a big fan of Odyssey and the company's people I've met.

The Toulon milling is superb.

Thoroughly enjoyed the article and I while I knew of the dominance of Odyssey on tour, it's wild reading the numbers.

Perhaps, the best part of the article is the caption under one of the photos: Sean Toulon Doing His Putter Inspection Pose.
I lol'd at that and was going to mention it. So funny.

Pretty cool to see the evolution of Odyssey and how their putters seem to always make their way into championship bags. I stand firm that the microhinge insert is the best they've done and one I find myself playing if I am not using a milled putter.
I was a big microhinge guy too. This story started as something completely different in morphed. It started as an exploration into the history of white hot, and how many evolutions have coke that did the opposite in terms of viewing audience. Meaning metal X, and microhinge, etc. when the audience is programmed to see that white face and instantly know it was an odyssey.

So as a company altering that, means more choices but probably also less visibility and that is a hard notion to get passed.

This is a great writeup @JB ! 70% unpaid is crazy and I didn't realize it was that high. I remember as a kid, I wanted an Odyssey Rossie II so bad I couldn't stand it, but grandparents bought me the cheapest things to get me into the game, which was completely understandable, and I remember I purchased my first Odyssey putter in 2016, while on recruiting duty for the Navy. It's all I have owned other than my short stint with a Scotty prior to going to the Grandaddy. The Toulon's are fantastic, but there is just something about an insert that is so much better for me. We just get along and Odyssey/Callaway makes the best insert in the business. WHITE HOT!!!
I was the same. I wanted a two ball putter for the longest time. If my wife (girlfriend at the time) hadn't bought me a Scotty for my 18th birthday, I probably would have purchased a two ball and would still be using it to this day.
Now I've been using that Scotty since then and now every time I go to Golf Galaxy I try out the Odysseys and just cant seem to get used to the insert.

Now I've been using that Scotty since then and now every time I go to Golf Galaxy I try out the Odysseys and just cant seem to get used to the insert.
I think that is one of the biggest reasons for the Toulon Design line to exist. They feel as though they have a better milled offering and can have it under the Odyssey umbrella. Based on fairly quick adoption on tour, it seems like it is working.

I think that is one of the biggest reasons for the Toulon Design line to exist. They feel as though they have a better milled offering and can have it under the Odyssey umbrella. Based on fairly quick adoption on tour, it seems like it is working.
Yes. I need to try out a Toulon Design. I guess I so badly want the classic two ball to work for me, I just cant give it up! Haha

Great article.
love the trip down memory lane with the Versa and Metal X Milled. I loved the Metal X Milled (had a 9HT and 330M, still have the 9), but it definitely didn't have the success. Versa remains one of my favorite all time putter lines, and I am not really an insert fan. Unfortunately the paint just couldn't hold up, though I have babied mine. I wish they would do another versa limited release on a milled putter. I'd be thrilled. Metal X Milled Versa was soooooooo good and combined both worlds.

I love how Toulon came about, became part of Odyssey, and has been blowing up in the milled world. Okay going to go read it for a seventh time.

The dominance is pretty wild...

I was the same. I wanted a two ball putter for the longest time. If my wife (girlfriend at the time) hadn't bought me a Scotty for my 18th birthday, I probably would have purchased a two ball and would still be using it to this day.
It's a transition moving from milled to insert, but if you can stick with it, you can get used to it.

Watch just about any tour event and witness a sea of familiarity. That white face as the putter makes impact with the ball is nothing short of a dynasty at the PGA Tour level. How did it get that way and where did it all begin?

Continue reading...

Really good writeup. Some interesting items I didn't know which is damn cool.

Great read of an iconic brand in the golf industry.

Great article! What a dominant force in Golf in all Tours!

It's a transition moving from milled to insert, but if you can stick with it, you can get used to it.
And vice versa. I am of the opinion, like you, a round or practice session and you are pretty good to go.

Loved seeing this pop up! You've been doing work with the brand stories JB! I'm surprised at how many people missed the Sean Toulon Live stream in regards to percentages on tour :p

For real though, love seeing numbers like that. I've been using an Odyssey for over half my golf career and I don't see myself switching at this point!

Back