Big Break - Indian Wells [Spoilers]

Hah went to that facebook page and the first comment I notice is "you should stick with hauling cattle you hack"

My best friend at our club's brother plays with Oren Geri a lot. He told me that Oren shoots in the 60s all the time. FWIW.

My best friend at our club's brother plays with Oren Geri a lot. He told me that Oren shoots in the 60s all the time. FWIW.
Big, huge difference between guys who shoot in the 60's playing with their buddies and those that play on the PGA, Nationwide and Champions Tour for that matter.

Big, huge difference between guys who shoot in the 60's playing with their buddies and those that play on the PGA, Nationwide and Champions Tour for that matter.

Even bigger difference doing it in front of the cameras with some money on the line.

Even bigger difference doing it in front of the cameras with some money on the line.
It's a lot of pressure. I am not surprised when guys start puking all over themselves and can't swing a club like Mr. Floyd was demonstrating.

Yeah, Justin was a joke, he just sounds like a jerk, someone I would never want to play a round with for sure!

I agree with you on this one IS, there are very few people I really don't wish to play with, but Justin is now at the top of that list.

Well, he did split the fairway with the driver on the 2nd hole they played last night so that was a pretty good quality shot.

Not a good shot. Robert apologized for it and laughed, saying, "That's the only way I can hit the fairway."

It was low toward the heel, a squeeze slice that starts out low and left of target and weakly bananas toward the center of the fairway, normally ending up right center. Those shots feel terrible, and are producued by an awful swing, but you can typically get away with them as long as nothing intrudes about 15 yards left of your aim point, like a short tree or row of bushes maybe 150-180 yards off the tee.

You might guess I have considerable experience with that type of shot. :D

I wonder if Robert had to try out, actually hit shots? Doubtful. I'm sure the show pinpoints a handful of contestants well ahead of time, based on bio or story line, and they are locked in. At least 99% of the time a player of Robert's background and credentials would have more than enough game to fit in at Big Break. This was an embarrassing exception, and it might cause Big Break producers to be a bit more careful.

It's a lot of pressure. I am not surprised when guys start puking all over themselves and can't swing a club like Mr. Floyd was demonstrating.
I agree, and it seems the pressure is getting to them. At the same time it seems the ability is there.

Shenk for president!!!! Love that guy. And think he's got what it takes to win it all. Or the young skinny kid, guy's a stud.

It pains me to see that Justin guy on the show being a complete arse and know he's from the same state as me. What a complete moron.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad
I know exactly what you mean! It makes us all look bad! I would really love to know what 6 courses he supposedly holds the records at!

Please please send home the male commentator. His nasally voice really adds the right horrific touch to his bad british accent. Nails on a chalkboard is a symphony in comparison.

Please please send home the male commentator. His nasally voice really adds the right horrific touch to his bad british accent. Nails on a chalkboard is a symphony in comparison.
You know you like his skinny pants!

I like him now, he looks like Bill Hader from SNL and you can totally watch the show and feel like you just saw an SNL skit.

Robert Floyd, I mean what more can be said. It's either nerves or he just didn't take this very seriously. I don't think he hit one quality shot and 3/4's of them were off the hosel, that's bad.

Justin, glad to see him go. "99 times out of 100 I beat any one of them"...umm, you lost three times, make that 97 out of 100. He's a clown with little man's syndrome.

Surprised to see Russell step up and play as well as he did. He was forced to take that shot over the water and just didn't execute it.

Really glad to see Petey come back. He can play and you could tell by everyone's reaction that he strikes fear into some of those players.

So much for getting the day off, those boys actually had to play in the afternoon for next week's show...TGC just spaced it over two shows to make it look like they got a break. Really hope Petey can get through the next set of challenges. He'll be tough to beat if that's the case.

Liking this show more and more I see it.

+1 on that entire post. Petey is going to be deadly if he gets back on

It pains me to see that Justin guy on the show being a complete arse and know he's from the same state as me. What a complete moron.

Yeah, well, I'm from the same state as Al Gore, doesn't mean a thing.

Yeah, well, I'm from the same state as Al Gore, doesn't mean a thing.

Justin was barely tolerable. His mouth wrote checks, and he didn't even have a checking account.

Maybe, but he wasn't so deadly on the first show.

I agree but the first elimination is always the toughest IMO. Petey barely had a chance to warmup and he was walking off. But it was the same for everyone

Not a good shot. Robert apologized for it and laughed, saying, "That's the only way I can hit the fairway."

It was low toward the heel, a squeeze slice that starts out low and left of target and weakly bananas toward the center of the fairway, normally ending up right center. Those shots feel terrible, and are producued by an awful swing, but you can typically get away with them as long as nothing intrudes about 15 yards left of your aim point, like a short tree or row of bushes maybe 150-180 yards off the tee.

You might guess I have considerable experience with that type of shot. :D

I wonder if Robert had to try out, actually hit shots? Doubtful. I'm sure the show pinpoints a handful of contestants well ahead of time, based on bio or story line, and they are locked in. At least 99% of the time a player of Robert's background and credentials would have more than enough game to fit in at Big Break. This was an embarrassing exception, and it might cause Big Break producers to be a bit more careful.

It's evident that Robert has (and has had for a while) swing yips. Fear and demons are running around his head about all the bad shots he's hit and is going to hit. I feel for him as I just went down the same road but was able to patch things up!

There's no doubt he was on the show for his name and didn't have to hit a single shot for the casting crew. They need to watch out because the talent discrepancy is getting worse each year. But that's partly due to the fact that they're actually getting some really good talent on the show.

It's evident that Robert has (and has had for a while) swing yips. Fear and demons are running around his head about all the bad shots he's hit and is going to hit. I feel for him as I just went down the same road but was able to patch things up!

I felt bad for Robert also. I've had putting yips and chipping yips, to the point I tried crosshanded chipping (like Will) and now chip and putt lefty (I'm naturally lefthanded) while otherwise playing righty.

Unless you've had the yips of any type and know the feeling of absolute terror it's virtually impossible to evaluate the situation. I always get a kick out of the quick fixes. For example, Michael Breed on The Golf Fix frequently offers yips tips on putting. He focuses on the right hand literally every single time. Meanwhile, my right hand couldn't be more calm. The back of my strong left hand is pins and needles and can go haywire when I putt or chip righthanded.

There is no one stop solution. Congrats on working it out on your own. :clapp:

Robert was protected by the show. They didn't replay the disastrous shots or even use the camera angle that best displayed how inept they were. Normally it was a quick flash. The hosts and other players avoided descriptions that frankly were warranted, and no doubt would have overflowed if an obscure player without a famous name had hit the same caliber of shots.

I'm sure he's a good guy and built up a reservoir of respect and benefit of a doubt within the cast and crew. Heck, even the forums haven't been as critical as I expected.

Back