Sponsorship deal near for Heritage?

johndeere10

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.wtoc.com/Global/story.asp?S=14918456

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC (WTOC) - Nearly two years of uncertainty could be less than a day from ending for Hilton Head and the Heritage.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will be at Harbour Town Thursday for what her office termed "a major announcement,'' that will likely have to do with a new sponsorship deal for the Lowcountry's PGA Tour event. An hour before the governor is scheduled to speak at Sea Pines, Hilton Head town coucil will vote whether to approve spending for advertising on future Heritage broadcasts.

Hilton Head mayor Drew Laughlin revealed Tuesday that the Heritage Classic Foundation had asked the town to put up $3.2 million over the next five years to purchase ads on the Golf Channel and CBS durign the Heritage.

The participation of the state and town governments suggests a collaborative sponsorship between multiple parties, perhaps including a private company that has not yet been named.

Tournament officials have seemed increasingly hopeful lately that a deal would get done to replace Verizon, which ended a quarter-century relationship with the Heritage after the 2010 event. This year's tournament was paid for by Heritage Classic Foundation reserve funds and $1 million pledges from Hilton Head and Beaufort County.

And although interest in the event spiked after a near-perfect Heritage week this April, it has still been difficult to find a company willing to make the roughly $8 million annual commitment necessary for full title sponsorship. So the town and state could be playing a supporting role to a presenting sponsorship.

I've seen few tweets this morning the sponsor will be RBC.

glad to hear, love watching them play the course

second, the writer should have used spell check "durign the Heritage."

come on

If it's true then I'm glad. It's a great tourney and for it to stay on is good news for the tour. I have also heard that it was RBC.

RBC and Boeing are the new sponsors. It will be the week after The Masters like before.

RBC and Boeing are the new sponsors. It will be the week after The Masters like before.

I'm not sure which one is better news, that the tourney got a sponsor or that it's moving back to the week after the Masters. Being the week after the Masters should ensure a better field with more of the international guys staying in the States to play at Hilton Head.

So glad that this tournament was not an economic casualty. Harbour Town absolutely should be the week after the Masters too...so good news on both accounts.

Great news that an old tournament like the Heritage is hanging tough! Beautiful golf course.

Back