How to Improve Angle of Attack with Driver

Follow what @blugold said. He nailed it in my mind. I get a +3-5 degree AoA by rotating back into my right side, coming with an inside-to-out swing and making sure the ball is setup in my stance past the low point in the swing arc so you come up on into impact.

The magic happens when the face of the driver is squart to target at the impact site which is after the low point in the swing arc. To make it square, your swing has to be inside your target line / swing path.

or something like that.

Main thing is to fix the swing path, on out to in positive angle of attack would be funny looking. Need to shallow out the path as well. Keep your back to the target, little bump to the left, let your hands drop, and then rotate while feeling like the back is still facing the target, for as long as possible. Lastly, late last season I reread a swing book I really like and it talked about the release. It's not a hand rotation, per say, that's a good way to shut the face down. When you go to release the club, pull up with the left hand and push down with the right.

Those are the thoughts that help me.
During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

okay, really worked on these at home over the week just getting in position and rotating better, with better tilt into that reverse K.
Holy cow what a difference.

Now, I still need to do some work on club path, but what a difference in spin and launch it has made from last week. I’ll work on path for an update next week.

Look at these AOA numbers! 😱😱

719034A8-39A4-46C2-AAE8-46FAA375CFD2.jpeg
6AA8F99F-7447-40B4-BAE3-33F0B7FF9FDA.jpeg
81C01640-18E5-4315-A2D8-5AA47D9E1D84.jpeg
CB2A7BC7-B75F-4683-AAD2-F983FED68E39.jpeg

okay, really worked on these at home over the week just getting in position and rotating better, with better tilt into that reverse K.

Now, I still need to do some work on club path, but what a difference in spin and launch it has made from last week. I’ll work on path for an update next week.

View attachment 9059862
View attachment 9059863
View attachment 9059864
View attachment 9059865
That'll be $50

;)

BTW, that last one, with that shape, you're going to be just fine. That's a fairway finder.

I wish I could tell you how I did it. I went from someone that had NAA to hitting up on it. Gerritt Pon at ECPC even commented on it.

If I were to guess it started when I started tipping a 3 1/4” tee, It changes your thought process.

View attachment 9059862
View attachment 9059863
View attachment 9059864
View attachment 9059865

PM me for my PayPal, F&F please! Lol

seriously dude it’s such an easy fix and it will be second nature in a few weeks. Sort out the club path and you’ll be set.

Do you find that you need a wider stance with all of those elements?
Wider stance naturally drops the rear shoulder, and puts your head behind the ball a bit more.

What usually works well in increasing your AoA is feeling like you’re unwinding behind the ball, if that’l makes sense. Head and upper body stay behind it. It’s tricky, because you still have to get your weight to your front side or the bottom of your swing arc is gonna also be behind the ball. That can either be just fine, or you’re gonna drop kick it if your timing is off or you stall your turn.

View attachment 9059862
View attachment 9059863
View attachment 9059864
View attachment 9059865
I am a bit late to the party, but for me, one of the biggest triggers to get me to hit up on the ball is literally just to tee it higher - it is surprising how quickly the brain adapts to the higher ball position with the driver and you can change your attack
Ball position is just inside the front foot, but if you saw me on the tee, I have almost all of the ball sitting above the driver face, slightly wider stance and shoulder tilt slightly away from the ball at address - just make sure it is tilt and not shoulders turned away from the ball

This all seems to get my swing more neutral and it then just becomes all about controlling the face, but it means I hit a high draw or straight shot most often, with my miss being a little fade or push unless I get really lazy and I can slice one with the best of them when the face is left well open

There are 2 potential issues that I can have, but they are both indicators of a bad swing - first is sliding towards the ball rather than turning through it and adding a nice sky mark to the crown of the driver (not done yet but have hit a few very high on the face in the early days of working on this), and the second is hanging back on my back foot and that results in an impact low on the face and is a little bit of a distance killer in the current wet, soft conditions here in the UK

I need to get on a monitor to see where my numbers are at currently, but at one point whilst I was having lessons about 4 years ago, I was hitting up on the ball by 8° and sometimes even more while overdoing the feeling I was looking for

Looking at the first and last screenshots in your post - the carry difference is almost identical, yet the swing speed in the last is almost 7mph slower, so the better contact and launch conditions has given you almost identical carry numbers, so imagine the bombs you could be hitting with the same impact but another 7mph club speed.....

Stick a tee (normal height) in the ground 4-6 inches in front of the ball. Don't hit that tee.

One other note- visualize watching the club hit the ball BELOW the equator. This will keep the head back as well letting the clubhead release and get that positive AOA. (Also does wonders for that low duck hook)

A great drill a local pro gave my son who was struggling with the same issue.

Put a empty sleeve of balls or a headcover a grip length or so in front of the ball down the target line. If you hit them on your follow-thru you do not have the proper AOA.
Anyone know how far said headcover will fly in case you hit it? Asking for a friend who wants to try this drill....

Thanks for the good tips fellas, negative AoA is something I've battled for quite some time and I think 2022 might be the year I finally fix it!

Get yourself on an upslope at home or on the range - swing up the slope.

One simple set up change can sometimes fix angle of attack.

When you set up, first make sure that the ball is just inside your lead heel. Then, get set then with your right hand tilt away from the target at the hips till your finger of your right hand (assuming right handed) are touching the outside of your knee. This will put you in the classing reverse K set up. It should help you create a more upward strike on the ball by a small change in set up.
This is pretty much what I do with driver.
—Ball teed high 3 1/4” tee with it barely in the ground
—ball off left big toe
— setup and I slide my right hand down my thigh about 4-5” to apply tilt.

If I only have ball data, best way to see results is my launch should go up if AOA gets more positive right?

If I only have ball data, best way to see results is my launch should go up if AOA gets more positive right?
Not necessarily. You can have a ton of launch angle with a negative angle of attack. More spin though. So, if launch angle goes up and spin stays the same or goes down, then AoA is going up, typically.

It's been a process for me. First, I tee approximately 2/3 of the ball above the top of the club face at setup.

Second, when setting up, the ball is close to the inside of my left heel.

Third, the club head rests closely behind the ball at setup while my hands are still just slightly target side of my belt buckle. This has actually been an important key for me.

Fourth, I need my left hand is under my chin for appropriate distance from the ball. This has been important as well because there was too much variability.

Focusing my left eye on the back of the ball throughout the swing and feeling like I hit up on the ball.

You'd think so, but no not necessarily. A driver head is concave (curved). The fact is that if you contact the ball lower on the clubface (as often happens when players consciously try to swing up) the static loft is lower than if you contact the ball higher on the face. So, in this example, your dynamic loft may be lower with a more positive AoA if you are contacting the ball lower on the face. In addition, contact low on the face is NOT on the sweet spot. This lowers ball speed off the face. It may also generate more or less spin, which also affects dynamic loft and the flight of the ball.

Thanks all for the insight. I think I was catching it more up but will have to hop on a monitor this week. Either way, had a really nice range session with some better ball flights, at least to my eye.

During my progress to straighten out my drives and correct my slice/open face, I had to fix my negative AoA because not only was that killing my move into the ball, it was creating some spin that was hurting me.

Go to the 1:10 minute part of this video and watch. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but implementing this to help me get more behind the ball, helped me hit up on the ball and in turn created some positive AoA. I have not been on a launch monitor lately, but on course results have me carrying the ball further and my launch has improved.

Got into this a bit at the range today. It doesn’t feel natural yet but it was helping to straighten out my ball flight today. I’m excited to keep working on it now that the weather is starting to turn for me.

Got into this a bit at the range today. It doesn’t feel natural yet but it was helping to straighten out my ball flight today. I’m excited to keep working on it now that the weather is starting to turn for me.
It definitely took me a few range sessions to get it to feel more natural. I had been hitting down for so long it just felt weird. I even popped a few up over exaggerating the move, but once you settle in, it's easy to hit some straight tee shots and then work the ball once it feels comfortable.

It definitely took me a few range sessions to get it to feel more natural. I had been hitting down for so long it just felt weird. I even popped a few up over exaggerating the move, but once you settle in, it's easy to hit some straight tee shots and then work the ball once it feels comfortable.
I can’t recall the last time I was excited to work on driver at the range but this has been doing it.

And I can feel you on the popups. I had one of those and not from my weak turn coming down sky balls. I know what those feel like too 🤣

Back