New Release: Callaway Apex UW

I'm just gonna throw this out there as someone who's played it for what feels like ages now, and watched countless people hit it. I think some of the 'launch like crazy' is a bit misleading and probably getting confused with easy to launch (hit, basically). It definitely launches easier than some hybrids, but it's still a front weighted tweener. I've seen plenty of people struggle to maximize it in the air. Not like they would a long iron, but a super hybrid is probably easier to launch for most. Spin is big factor in this one vs. some others. It gets up well, but doesn't launch like an equally lofted fairway for me generally. But it generally penetrates more too. It's a different flight, not as prone to rising/sailing. Bit flatter. So I think for some of 19 and 21 launch thoughts are partly just how easy it is to hit compared to some other things, and get a nice consistent flight.

Might gap nicely for you though. Only one way to find out. :p

Thanks! You talked me into a Super Hybrid first lol... should be here in a few days! If I don't jive with it, then I'll send it back and try the UW.

Thanks! You talked me into a Super Hybrid first lol... should be here in a few days! If I don't jive with it, then I'll send it back and try the UW.
Oh wow. Okay. Yeah those 2 fly a little different. I mean I want you to play whatever works best, but I'm secretly hoping for a return. :p. If only for comparison purposes.

Had a loss in the family (not expected but expected...... all is well) was heading to trade the Apex UW in today... Couldn't make myself stop so I went to the range. I didn't really try.... The most gorgeous ball flights and workability occurred. High, low, right to left... some left to right but I don't do that on purpose well..... I reset my other hybrids and I'm taking this on my golf trip to myrtle beach next week. Its a great club... I'm a bad golfer... I'm gonna make this club make me a better golfer.

Had a loss in the family (not expected but expected...... all is well) was heading to trade the Apex UW in today... Couldn't make myself stop so I went to the range. I didn't really try.... The most gorgeous ball flights and workability occurred. High, low, right to left... some left to right but I don't do that on purpose well..... I reset my other hybrids and I'm taking this on my golf trip to myrtle beach next week. Its a great club... I'm a bad golfer... I'm gonna make this club make me a better golfer.
Live look at @hedley_lamarr08

I know it's tough to say and rather subjective, but does anyone think that a 19* UW would gap nicely with my 15* 3-wood and my 19* dinosaur hybrid? Hearing that the UW launches like crazy gives me hope that I can hit it about 15 yards further than my hybrid.
Ymmv but my 21 uw was about same distance as 21* hybrid.

I had the 17* and 21* UWs in the bag today and I had forgotten how freaking awesome these clubs are.

I am astonished how the 17° cuts the wind with a piercing flight. Personally I have never had a wood (FW, hybrid) come off the head with what I perceive, as more speed. As a 4 wood replacement it has been more accurate, longer and easier to hit from any position (tee, fairway, rough)). I would like to get it on a trackman or similar measuring device and test against some 3 woods. I still have 1 spot left in my bag and only club I am considering may be a 3 wood. Overall, carrying both the 17° & the 21° This year have been great additions.

Dropped my 3 wood for good, 17° UW fills that role now. Same distance with impressive accuracy. Just can't believe how easy it is to hit.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dropped my 3 wood for good, 17° UW fills that role now. Same distance with impressive accuracy. Just can't believe how easy it is to hit.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hope to see how the 17* gaps with the 19* and 21* today or tomorrow.

Only plan on keeping two and the 21* is already firmly in the bag, so either 17* or 19* will make the bag (most likely).

Hit the 19* already and it may be a bit close to use with the 21*.

Wanted to try something with a bit more launch and spin in the 17* as I had one with a Tensei AV White and just low bullets.

21* has a ZF tipped 1.5” at 40.25”.

19* has ZF tipped 1.25” at 41.25”.

17* has TB tipped 1.25” at 41.25”

I really love these clubs.

900B9875-2003-4BD4-AFE8-431B7BEEAAE4.jpegC0B56A6A-D3C3-43FD-9708-31CDE97A169D.jpegED23B2FF-8917-4CC6-B874-51FE269BC0DB.jpeg

This and the putter are the only non-Titleist clubs left standing in my bag. And they’re also the safest two. Favorite club ever made. Easily:

Going to be getting a UW....

Its amazing.

More details to follow. I'm really wanting to shore up the top end of my bag. This will be a vital piece I'm certain.

I need to get some range time in and figure out exactly how far this club goes because I absolutely nuked one on 7 today 💪

1658090413353.png

Looking pretty hard (okay will buy) at 19 and 21* UWs with Tensei White X Stiff shafts probably 70g. May have to hit a few to check which lie I need.

This will be to take care of 5W and 4i.

@xThor came up with some crazy ideas and I was pondering the same thing TBH!

The versatility of the UWs was evident again in my weekend round. On Shot Scope, my 17* UW is tagged as my 5 wood, because that is the spot it fills. On the second hole (screenshot below), I had about 225 to the pin for my second shot on a par 5. I was able to hit a shot with enough spin that it hit and held the green, after carrying a hazard in front of the green, resulting in a two putt birdie. On hole 9 (screenshot below), again a par 5, I was able to hit a lower flying, low spin shot that went 246 yards and ended up just about a foot off the back of the green. A chip and a putt gave me another birdie. Finally, on the 18th hole, thee wind caught my drive and pushed me behind a tree. I had no direct shot at the green, but wanted to hit a fade around the tree with my 21* UW, hopefully leaving me a little pitch and putt for a par save. I was able to hit the very fade I was trying to hit.

Three different types of shots, two of which resulted in birdies. This is as versatile as I think you could ever find, when we are talking shots that ranged from 195 yards to over 245 yards.

CE7F160C-EE86-4707-85E5-7FEA99144134.jpegBAE3BF5D-763E-4534-BEAC-AC7B1D8762DA.jpeg

The versatility of the UWs was evident again in my weekend round. On Shot Scope, my 17* UW is tagged as my 5 wood, because that is the spot it fills. On the second hole (screenshot below), I had about 225 to the pin for my second shot on a par 5. I was able to hit a shot with enough spin that it hit and held the green, after carrying a hazard in front of the green, resulting in a two putt birdie. On hole 9 (screenshot below), again a par 5, I was able to hit a lower flying, low spin shot that went 246 yards and ended up just about a foot off the back of the green. A chip and a putt gave me another birdie. Finally, on the 18th hole, thee wind caught my drive and pushed me behind a tree. I had no direct shot at the green, but wanted to hit a fade around the tree with my 21* UW, hopefully leaving me a little pitch and putt for a par save. I was able to hit the very fade I was trying to hit.

Three different types of shots, two of which resulted in birdies. This is as versatile as I think you could ever find, when we are talking shots that ranged from 195 yards to over 245 yards.

View attachment 9105174View attachment 9105175
did you think we were going to overlook the 280+ off the tee with driver? Looks like UWs arent the only club handling business for you! Great shots Sir!!!

View attachment 9105174View attachment 9105175

Wow! Great stuff @Tenputt!

As someone who has really liked the Sim2 Max hybrids, this is the one area that every time I read a review of the Apex UW, it's so enticing to make a purchase. Hmmmmmmm Hearing someone from Callaway call it their favorite club they've had is some kind of an endorsement.

For those who have used it, is it as forgiving as it seems?

As someone who has really liked the Sim2 Max hybrids, this is the one area that every time I read a review of the Apex UW, it's so enticing to make a purchase. Hmmmmmmm Hearing someone from Callaway call it their favorite club they've had is some kind of an endorsement.

As long as you hit ball first it’s easily one of the most forgiving clubs I’ve hit if not the most forgiving. I’ve hit some with pretty bad contact that ended up being way better than I deserved. Toe strikes that were a club or so short of my expected distance but slightly pushed and straight type of misses. Off the heel it spins on me more but there’s not a lot of big movement.

It’s pretty easy to shape which can be an adjustment. It feels like less manipulation is needed to make it so what you’re trying to do. I tried to hit a couple big draws by getting really in to out and it hooked. Kind of weird in that way considering it only moves a little when I’m trying to hit my stock shot and mishit it out towards the toe. Whatever the reason, it plays well with my swing.

It won't fix a bad swing, but it does seem to work some magic. I have an amazing level of confidence when this stick comes out of the bag. It rarely puts me in a bad spot when I hit it. Simply a magic stick.

Back