Journey to Break 85

Sunglasses and sideways glances. She'll still think you're a creep, but you can at least convince yourself she doesn't notice.

Hahaha. Or I could just top a ball in her direction. Over and over.

Sunglasses and sideways glances. She'll still think you're a creep, but you can at least convince yourself she doesn't notice.

Keep that pic of you holding the headless Monaco in your phone. Show her so she can see how serious your game is.

She saw me "work" plenty of balls left and right that day :) But that picture would just put it over the top. I'm pretty sure.

Keep that pic of you holding the headless Monaco in your phone. Show her so she can see how serious your game is.

Well, the positive updates are always better than anything else, so that's what I'll add today. Played yesterday and what is a tough course for me. For some reason, I really like it even though I tend to score a few strokes higher on average there. It's not overly long, but it is if that makes sense. Lots of right-left doglegs, which are the fader's worst enemy. Also, the fairways are just plain narrow and if you miss you are in trees and tall, thick rough. I think I like it because it's not too easy, challenges you by making you hit good shots, but doesn't really have the dreaded 'stupid hole'.

Anyway, I started out sort of rough with the driver, which usually indicates a long day. I was heeling them about 5 feet off the ground, which sort of limits your distance hehe. Anyway, I still was able to gut it out by making decent recovery shots and playing well around the green. Eventually I was able to get my driver together enough to find some fairways.

I ended with a 95, but it was a good 95 if that makes sense? My score was hampered by two blowups on each side. Three 7's and one 8, which are easy to get on this course. I was at least happy that they weren't due to stupid short game shots and things like that. One was a product of watered tee ball, then a follow up into the trees. Best thing was that I was still able to come back after the blow ups.

I feel like my touch around the greens is coming back and I'm making much better contact with my changes. I really feel like I'm close to getting over the mid 90's hump. It's a slow process, but I feel like I learn something every time.

Good going Hawk. Sometimes scores don't always tell the story of a round. Works both ways at times. I'm genuinely happy for you Hawkster.

sounds like you are making some great progress Hawk! My home course has narrow fairways and thick rough too so I know what you mean when you talk about missing fairways, esp with tree lined holes.

Well that sounds like a good positive round Hawk. Great job putting the blow ups behind you.

Narrow fairways for me = iron off the tee. That's usually pretty brutal on a longer course.

sounds like you are making some great progress Hawk! My home course has narrow fairways and thick rough too so I know what you mean when you talk about missing fairways, esp with tree lined holes.

The second of my two courses close by is like that. Narrow fairways and trees. Might as well be lined with water, high cliffs or lava. Miss the FW and youre doomed.

Lava along side the fairways. Now that might be enough encouragement to find more fairways and put the big stick away.

167848.JPG

The second of my two courses close by is like that. Narrow fairways and trees. Might as well be lined with water, high cliffs or lava. Miss the FW and youre doomed.

Lava along side the fairways. Now that might be enough encouragement to find more fairways and put the big stick away.
167848.JPG

that just made me LOL. At my course they actually just started experimenting with 2nd cut because they don't want to widen the fairways. It's made it a little easier, but if you in the regular rough there's a good chance you're hacking it out and trying to make par the hard way.

I'm just amazed at how freaking thick our rough is right now. It's rained so much in the last month that it's just getting jungle-ish they aren't mowing it as much. I would like to see a first cut/second cut set up too. Not that it matters in the trees, but it would be nice for those barely missed fairways.

I'm just amazed at how freaking thick our rough is right now. It's rained so much in the last month that it's just getting jungle-ish they aren't mowing it as much. I would like to see a first cut/second cut set up too. Not that it matters in the trees, but it would be nice for those barely missed fairways.

I'm glad someone is getting some rain. Our course has been bone dry for several weeks now. We've had less than an inch of rain since April and not a single drop in the past three weeks.

I'm glad someone is getting some rain. Our course has been bone dry for several weeks now. We've had less than an inch of rain since April and not a single drop in the past three weeks.

We will be dry soon enough. We end up getting a ton of hardpan towards the end of the year, which is worse in many ways I think. My main complaint with the length of the rough right now is that it can be so damn hard to find your ball. You can know exactly where you hit it and still search for a bit before you see it.

We will be dry soon enough. We end up getting a ton of hardpan towards the end of the year, which is worse in many ways I think. My main complaint with the length of the rough right now is that it can be so damn hard to find your ball. You can know exactly where you hit it and still search for a bit before you see it.

I hear you on the hardpan. Usually our course doesn't get this dry and hard till at least after the 4th of July. Our next decent chance of rain is being shown for the 22nd. Sure hope we catch a stray thundershower before then.

that just made me LOL. At my course they actually just started experimenting with 2nd cut because they don't want to widen the fairways. It's made it a little easier, but if you in the regular rough there's a good chance you're hacking it out and trying to make par the hard way.

lol nothing like a vaporized ball in the lava. The Pro was telling me they were doing something like that too. But it was to make the course a little more friendly in hopes of not losing business. The course is very unforgiving and people just dont want to play it. They started cutting back some of the brush and woods but its still pretty bad. Unless youre an amazing driver of the ball like yoccos.

Haven't updated this for awhile. Been having some serious range time and feel like a complete range rat. Summertime so Ill be out at least 2 rounds a week minimum now.

I do have to admit, I'm kinda getting worn thin on a few things. I won't go into detail but it was really frustrating me. I've just decided to tone things down and back off for a bit.

The Razr X irons are working out beautifully for me right now. I'm getting used to the draw I play but as we all know the course really determines what you play. My draw wasn't always there but if it wasn't the straight ball was in effect. Good to know and fun to actually be hitting greens or getting really close. I hit a few bad shots due to lack on concentration but overall when I needed a shot, it was there without question. Had the team relying on me for most of the round which was a change.

The putter is money. I've been putting a lot better and the 3 putts are going down bigtime. Its like night and day in some aspects.

I'm anxious for the other equipment to come in because after 175 yards not really sure I have a club I want to get comfortable with. After yesterdays round with the Mashie I'm even more pleased with my decision to go 3-5 in hybrids. I can hit my irons but not as well I do hybrids.

That's it for now, hope all the dads have a wonderful fathers day.

Yoccos, thanks for the update and the well wishes :)

I can't wait to see what happens when you really get those irons dialed in dude. I think a dialed in iron game will take you to the next level as good as you are off the tee and with a hybrid. Keep up the good work buddy. You're my MC darkhorse pick.

I had another mid 90's round this weekend and it was sort of frustrating to see. The thing was that I hit the ball pretty well. My tee game wasn't good, but it wasn't bad. My irons and hybrids were pretty solid. What killed me were 3-4 blowup holes again. If I'd just taken a bogey on them, I would have been right around 85. Just stupid crap that only happens on blowups.

I am still struggling in the sand. Gave up a few strokes today because of it, but it seems to be getting better at times. I'm hitting some nice shots, but some others are very penalizing. It's hard because the sand around here can be fluffy, hard, rocky, and water logged on the same course. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Wedges are as good as they've been in a long time. Only one flub today and it was a ball that was sitting up against the collar of rough around the green. I wussied it and it didn't go very far. Other than that, they are fine.

I need to not have blow up holes. That's my new focus. That and sand. Need to keep working on the sand.

yeah I know too much about blowup holes. Yesterday on the par 5 17th Im pin high in the rough in 2, chunk my chip into teh sand take a 6, then blow up on the par 3 18th for an 8. Could have had a 39ish on the back until that nonsense.

Right now I do have 2 fron 9 rounds of 43 and 44 that I need to combine with back 9 rounds only. Might be a decent shot at break 85 there, as Ive shot 40 on the back twice this year. Front 9 is longer and 43 is as low as ive played it this year. Hoping to play these 2 nines this week....wish me luck

Good luck!

Each of my blowup holes were set up by bad shots (into the sand, under a pine tree) and then I couldn't get out. I just need to slow down and think about my shot before taking it.

Perfect example: I hit a horrible drive to the right on the one hole you don't want to hit right (but I always do). I'm on the neighboring fairway and really just need to hit a wedge over some trees and on the correct fairway. Well, I do it, but I didn't take the time to figure out the I was aimed directly for a creek. As soon as I let it go, I knew where it was going. All of a sudden, I'm hitting four on a par five from 250 out. Then proceed to grab a long club because I feel like I have to do something. I do something by hitting into a bunker. Bunker shot was decent, but I have a 20 foot putt for a double (7). End up two putting. Just stupid crap like that. It's my own fault.

My plan next time is to hit hybrid off the tee.

Good luck Mike. Man, sounds like youre so close. Keep the positive thinking and itll come.

Hawk youre so close dude. Glad to hear the wedges are back and youve got a ton to build on.

Blow up holes suck. They really used to put me out. I had 5 or 6 in a row in FL. Ever since then though, just taking golf one shot at a time. Helped alot. Just sucks when you hit a perfect shot out trouble and it costs you more strokes. We all cant be McIlroy I guess ha.

Appreciate the vote of confidence Hawkster. :)

Sent from my Tapatalk App

Oh the blow up hole, how I wish I could get rid of you. Played a golf course I had never played on Saturday. I had a couple blow up holes where I just did stupid stuff, but the worse was a 550 yard par 5. I teed off perfectly with a 6 iron to lay up in front of a lake, because it takes 260 to carry the lake off the tee. I'm thinking I'm in great shape, proceed to take out my 3 iron, and chunk it into the lake. Drop a ball, 3 iron again from the same spot, top the ball, into the lake. Decide to drop on the other side of the lake, in the rough, catch it thick with the 3 iron, move the ball 10 yards, still in the rough. Put the 3 iron away at that point, ended up taking a 9 on the hole.

Two holes later, played perfect shots in for a birdie. I'm getting much better at letting the bad holes go.

Lol. I'm not laughing at you at all, just with you. I have holes like that. Letting it go is the most important part. Golf is always one shot at a time.

Oh the blow up hole, how I wish I could get rid of you. Played a golf course I had never played on Saturday. I had a couple blow up holes where I just did stupid stuff, but the worse was a 550 yard par 5. I teed off perfectly with a 6 iron to lay up in front of a lake, because it takes 260 to carry the lake off the tee. I'm thinking I'm in great shape, proceed to take out my 3 iron, and chunk it into the lake. Drop a ball, 3 iron again from the same spot, top the ball, into the lake. Decide to drop on the other side of the lake, in the rough, catch it thick with the 3 iron, move the ball 10 yards, still in the rough. Put the 3 iron away at that point, ended up taking a 9 on the hole.

Two holes later, played perfect shots in for a birdie. I'm getting much better at letting the bad holes go.

I'm posting this in 2 threads (breaking 85 and breaking 90) since it's the first time I broke 90. My goal this year was to break 90 at least once and consistently score in the 90's. I might have to readjust those a bit. Thanks to the RXT's I shot an 83 on a par 73 (so +10) yesterday. It was 101 degrees outside when I was playing so I was literally and figuratively on fire yesterday. I think it actually helped considering it kept my mind off the score.

Right now my weakness is putting, as my playing partners yesterday can attest to. They said that if I can get my putting woes to bed I'd be scoring in the 70's easily. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself though as I know this is a long journey. I'm just glad I took the next steps yesterday.

Those are some huge steps Spank!!! Congrats on the score and I'm sure getting back there wont be any issues for you. good job broski!

I'm posting this in 2 threads (breaking 85 and breaking 90) since it's the first time I broke 90. My goal this year was to break 90 at least once and consistently score in the 90's. I might have to readjust those a bit. Thanks to the RXT's I shot an 83 on a par 73 (so +10) yesterday. It was 101 degrees outside when I was playing so I was literally and figuratively on fire yesterday. I think it actually helped considering it kept my mind off the score.

Right now my weakness is putting, as my playing partners yesterday can attest to. They said that if I can get my putting woes to bed I'd be scoring in the 70's easily. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself though as I know this is a long journey. I'm just glad I took the next steps yesterday.

Back