Journey to Break 85

I sure do my friend. its a fine line too. Because you want to get better and you want to play. Sometimes they don't go hand in hand though. But the latter usually follows the first :) I know its frustrating but you can vent to us all day dude and we will have your back.

Hahaha...no pun intended. Thanks guys.

Hate to hear that you're still laid up, yorkem. Get better dude!

I sure do my friend. its a fine line too. Because you want to get better and you want to play. Sometimes they don't go hand in hand though. But the latter usually follows the first :) I know its frustrating but you can vent to us all day dude and we will have your back.

Yorkem, hate to hear you are sidelined for a bit. I'm pretty much the same situation that Yoccos described in this post. It's not my back but my ankle. I banged it up playing basketball exactly one month ago yesterday. While I can walk on it, and even swing a golf club, with pretty much no discomfort, the dang thing keeps swelling up on me and turning purple. X-rays didn't indicate anything broken, so I've been told just to take it easy. It's sure hard to do with this great weather we've had, along with the lack of pain I've experienced. Hopefully a little R&R will help both my ankle and your back and we'll be back in business soon!
Good luck!

Man, Yorkem... saying that's a real bummer is likely an understatement. Get better dude.

I wasn't sure where else to put this so I figured here. I wanted to kinda explain alittle bit about why I haven't been around as much. I know I don't need too but I feel like I want too.

I took a new position at work that requires me to be in training M-F 8-5 with hardly any access to THP during the day. Now thats not an issue because I can THP after work. But the last month has been filled with Tucson trips to see my family. My grandpa on my dads side passed away a few weeks ago and my grandma on my moms side passed away this past Sunday. I've been getting all the time I can with them and also been there with my family.

I know I dont have to apologize but with all that is sometimes made of people not being around I wanted to say whats been happenign because I do value everyone here and to be honest, I've had such support from the friends I met here.

Now that I said this Im off to training but I'll be back.

Tmex I'm sorry to hear about the recent losses in your family. You don't owe an explanation to anyone my friend.

Good to hear from you Yoccos, good luck on the new position and getting the game back in line.

Yoccos, sorry to hear about the recent losses in your family.
Congrats on the new position at work.
So how is your back treating you?

Sorry to hear about the losses in your family buddy.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

I've resurrected this thread because I've got news to report. But first, I missed reading Marc's (Yoccos) report on his Grandparent's, and I wanted to say my heartfelt condolences. My grandparents were a huge influence in my life, even though I only saw them about once per year. From what I read above, it sounds like they were a significant part of Marc's life as well, and I know their memory will be cherished.

In one of my earlier "contributions" to this thread, I pretty much said I had the realization that I didn't know what I was talking about due to my experience level not being what I though it was. And I figured I'd just shut up for awhile until I learned a few things. And although I've been lurking and posting occasionally, I did use the past few months to take stock of my game, learn a bit, and reflect on how I was playing.

I've read a couple interesting books. Every Shot Must Have a Purpose taught me to practice better. Golf in the Kingdom, which I'm currently reading, is teaching me to trust myself more. I'm also taking what I'm learning in my yoga classes out to the golf course. I'm feeling more grounded standing in the tee box with my leg and core muscles more engaged. I've learned that I was casting in my downswing. Three months ago I didn't even know what casting was. I've learned that I wasn't doing much of a body rotation, and was mostly swinging with my arms. I've learned to turn with my shoulders and make a more controlled and powerful swing at the ball. My 7 iron was always my 150 yard club, now that's my 8 iron.

Someone on this forum was talking about swing rhythm,(Sorry I can't remember who it was), and suggested it was like saying "Peanut Butter" on the backswing and "Jelly" on the downswing. I've tried that with terrific success, so THANK YOU to whoever came up with that.

What I've found that I'm able to with my game now, that I've never been able to do before, is get myself out of trouble. One bad shot doesn't lead to a string of bad shots.

Today, I purposely tried to hit a fade off the tee on a par 4. I overcooked it and flew over a line of trees and landed in the adjoining fairway. The pin was blocked out by the wall of trees, and I was too close to them to hit over the top. So I pulled out my 7 iron and hit a controlled draw down the tree line and towards the green. I landed pin high and about fifteen feet from the putting surface. I pulled my Vokey 60 degree wedge and chipped in for a birdie. A birdie, on my worst drive of the day.

So I wanted to use this thread to say thanks to everyone here for offering good advice and support. I've been golfing off and on for 40 years, but probably had a decade in there where I didn't touch a club at all. Six weeks ago I broke 90 for the first time ever, shooting an 87.

Today I shot 42 going out and 41 coming in. So there's my Journey to Break 85, I kind of like the neighborhood.

Personal Best Today and the journey has been achieved! I hope it isn't like when I shot my first 85 three years ago and didn't do it again until a couple weeks or so ago.

I shot 42-41 (83) today with 29 putts, six pars, 1 birdie. 7 one putts, 2 three putts and 1 no putt. Best hole of the day was #10, where I sank a 25 foot birdie putt right on top of the 30 foot par putt Jacqui made. Best thing was that they were two completely different lines so I dodn't even go to school on her putt! Longest putt I've made in probably three years.

Since breaking 85 on 10/5/2011, I've done it 3 times since April 1 (and added three 85's as well). I did it a few times over the winter, but wasn't keeping track as well, so I'm not sure how many times. And I don't know why I didn't mention the 84 the very next round after the 83! Best so far is an 82 on June 5, followed with an 85 the next round (the next day). Hope my elbow lets me get back to breaking 85 soon, hopefully by Tuesday.

Rob and Smalls - congrats on making some huge improvements! Definitely something to be very proud of.

after shooting a FUGLY 86 Friday, I played another 18 right afterwards and shot a nice 80. I even 3 jacked #9 and #18 which a 78 would have been a all time low.

big difference was that I stayed otu of troubel off of the tee by hitting mashie 3W solid, and I did manage 2 birdies wich really helps the cause

That's a great score as well, Mike!

I need to catch up but I reckon people are killing it!

That's a great score as well, Mike!

yeah thanks, it seems that since im chipping has become "respectable" to where I can at least put it on the green somewhere, that as long as I stay out of the trees Im fine. That 46 had to have included at least 3-4 "punch outs"

Big fan of the mashie 3W off the tee all day long

Back