The 2022 MLB Thread + Hot Stove

Filthy.

Astros clinched not having a losing record last night. Woohoo!

Mets retired Willie Mays number....why? Mays was an all timer of all timers but he played (I use that losely) 2'ish years with the Mets. He was clearly done by then. Seems odd to me. 🤷‍♂️

Phillies and Thor with a stinker today. Wondering who will be our 3rd pitcher in the playoffs? 🤷‍♂️

The Cardinals are 🔥🔥🔥🔥 right now

Jack Flaherty should be joining the rotation at the beginning of the month as well.

The Cardinals are 🔥🔥🔥🔥 right now

Jack Flaherty should be joining the rotation at the beginning of the month as well.
I think they sweep the Padres (in the playoffs) but then the Dodgers are next. I am rooting for the cards over the Dodgers for sure but that is a tough match-up for any team.

I think they sweep the Padres (in the playoffs) but then the Dodgers are next. I am rooting for the cards over the Dodgers for sure but that is a tough match-up for any team.

Except they wouldn't play the Dodgers, they would play the Mets...

I don't think ur right. I heard them say they don't re-seed for the playoffs

I know I am right.

4 Plays 5
3 Plays 6

2 Plays the winner of 3 vs 6
1 Plays the winner of 4 vs 5

Unless the Cardinals lose the division, if they win their first round, they would play the Mets....

I know I am right.

4 Plays 5
3 Plays 6

2 Plays the winner of 3 vs 6
1 Plays the winner of 4 vs 5

Unless the Cardinals lose the division, if they win their first round, they would play the Mets....
Ha, rooting for even more against the mets 🤣

Mets retired Willie Mays number....why? Mays was an all timer of all timers but he played (I use that losely) 2'ish years with the Mets. He was clearly done by then. Seems odd to me. 🤷‍♂️
Mets sort of replaced the Giants when they moved to SF. I believe Mays was a NY Giant and thus still had his ties to the city - also why he signed or was traded to NY to finish his career. That's all I got.

Mets sort of replaced the Giants when they moved to SF. I believe Mays was a NY Giant and thus still had his ties to the city - also why he signed or was traded to NY to finish his career. That's all I got.
Excellent point. He was an all timer but still not a Met 🤷‍♂️

Brewers retired Hank Aaron - he played there for 2 seasons but was Brave in Milwaukee before they moved. Honestly for the alltime greats I don't think it's terribly uncommon - that said there are not that many all-time greats where the team moves, the city gets another team, and the player finishes his career in the original city. Again - likely more than I think, Aaron was the first (and only) one that I checked.

I'm with @JW Smoove on this. The Mets are NY's National League representative and successor to both the Giants and Dodgers. Mays was clearly the best player to ever play for a National League team located in NY(NY's National League history goes back beyond the Mets.) It's a tribute to NY's National League history.

Brewers retired Hank Aaron - he played there for 2 seasons but was Brave in Milwaukee before they moved. Honestly for the alltime greats I don't think it's terribly uncommon - that said there are not that many all-time greats where the team moves, the city gets another team, and the player finishes his career in the original city. Again - likely more than I think, Aaron was the first (and only) one that I checked.

I was going to bring thist up to. I agree with this also. We're thinking the same. :LOL:

Thinking that way should the phillies have retired #14 for Pete rose over Jim burning? Rose is an all time great.

Thinking that way should the phillies have retired #14 for Pete rose over Jim burning? Rose is an all time great.
Not the same. This was/is about honoring all time greats who retired in their “home city”. Pete would be a different discussion, in my opinion.

Wtf it was 7-0 Phillies when I went to sleep 🤦‍♂️

Wtf it was 7-0 Phillies when I went to sleep 🤦‍♂️
Ah David, they are the Phillies - sorry to say, there are just stinkers out there (and they had one last night). But fortunately today is a clean slate and if Harper is 100% when the playoffs start anything can happen - he loves the big stage.

Back