Lamkin Grips: A Family Brand Story

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You have heard of Lamkin Grips. You have used Lamkin Grips. They continue to make some of the most innovative and best products available on the market, yet you might not know that we are approaching the 100 year anniversary of a company steeped in family tradition. To understand that, we must go back to where it all started, in 1925.

Lamkin IS golf’s original grip manufacturer. The founding member being Elver Lamkin and in 1925, he began the creation process. Working in his garage in the suburbs of Chicago, Elver was crafting premium leather grips. Wait, we are already getting ahead of ourselves. Let’s backup.

Untitled-design-3-1024x692.png

Chicago Rawhide was a leather company that was using the raw materials (leather)...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice reading the history and transition of leadership through the years.

Well done...it's interesting to read the "backstory" behind golf grips. Do you know what was used to make grips before leather and rubber was introduced?

Another outstanding Brand Story! I have long been a big fan of Lamkin grips and it is cool to learn a lot about their history. I do miss the old scripted logo though.

• Admin
Well done...it's interesting to read the "backstory" behind golf grips. Do you know what was used to make grips before leather and rubber was introduced?
Early grips were most likely done with sheep skin as it was thinner than some other materials and readily available.

Thank you for the read - always learning interesting things from these brand stories.

These brand stories are fascinating to read. I feel like I get a history lesson on how one enters into the golf business & marketing while at the same time creating products for the game they have so much passion for.

Great read!

Yes! Another brand story to read! Great way to start the day.

It’s impressive Lamkin has been able to navigate multiple generational transitions during times of pretty swift changes in their market. The story alludes to some of those challenges and it’s great to see them come out the other side.

It’s amazing how golf manufacturers have been able to navigate and prosper through uncertain times. Elver starts a conpany(passion project) in 1925, then you have the stock market crash, the Great Depression, and WWII. Recently, this happens again through the pandemic. It’s amazing when you stop and think about it.

Sad to hear that they will not be family owned after the current generation is done since none of the family wants it, but it is seriously impressive how the family let the next generation or family member with bigger ideas and ideas how to progress and grow the company take over.

I love Lamkin grips, and glad to see their commitment to quality and delivering a solid product hasn't wavered over the decades.

Another solid read. I think its a pretty cool story actually and the new logo update was needed and necessary. They make a good/solid product.

Great article. Had no clue they were that old and are on the 3rd generation. Wild that no one in the family wants to take it over! I'll change my last name lol. And crazy to think how long leather was the only and main golf grip.

great article!!

I know that some of my Sonar Grips have had "Made in Mexico" labels on them.

Great read. Family history in brands is always interesting, to me.

Have to say, while I understand their logic in moving to the new branding, I sure do like the original script.

I love these brand stories. Great job weaving another tale of an iconic golf brand.

Great read. Family history in brands is always interesting, to me.

Have to say, while I understand their logic in moving to the new branding, I sure do like the original script.
I love it too. I think modern and bold was necessary, while also not being easy to adapt to.

Really really enjoyed this one. It’s a great read on a lazy Saturday, and man, there is some interesting twists I did t expect.

My father Arthur Michael Sullivan who was married to the eldest Lamkin child ….. Mary Jean Lamkin….worked for Lamkin Leather for 25 years and was the head sales person who was instrumental in the company’s relationships with Wilson Sporting Goods and the relationship with Arnold Palmer. Unfortunately Arthur passed away at the young age of 53. He is never mentioned in the Lamkin biography. I am giving his story here so people will know his contribution to the development and sales of this generational company. My mother never remarried and was the person who took care of Elver B. Lamkin in his aging years.

New grips… will see if the best out the z cords..
image.jpg

Vastly superior imo.
I have liked the UTX cords in the past. So I am giving them another go. I expect them to perform.

I have liked the UTX cords in the past. So I am giving them another go. I expect them to perform.
They’re like the originals again, not the neutered blasphemy they had for a minute

Back