Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Jeff- with the short irons, are you taking full shots, 3/4? I would think you'd want a more controlled swing to maximize the control of these irons so I'm curious to see what type of swing you're using for those....great thoughts so far

So after my morning 9, and my afternoon range session, I played 13 holes of twilight golf. I played with a friend who is a scratch golfer. We did a 9 hole match play, where he played from the black tees (furthest back) and I played from the blues (2nd furthest back), the tees we normally play. No strokes given. This was quite fun but I ended up dormie 2, even though I was only 2 over through 7. On to the review of the clubs.

Pocket Cavity (3,4) - I hit these ok out there, but only had a few shots with them. The first shot I hit with the 3I was was on a the par 5 second hole, and I hit it fat, so I dropped a ball and hit again. This time I hit a low screamer that ended up pretty good, not great but much better than fat. On one hole, after we had teed off, my friend asked to hit the 3I because I told him I wanted his opinion on these clubs. WOW. We were standing on the teebox that had a 381 marker and he hit it 15-20 yards past the 150 yard marker, 245-250 yard 3I. Instantly, the "why can't I do that?" thought popped into my head. The reason I brought that up is because I know that with a little range time, I should be able to hit these irons consistently. Not 245-250, but consistent. I'm just not there yet with the long irons.

Split Cavity (5,6,7) - I hit these irons very well today and walked away very impressed with them. They were very accurate, and distance seemed to be consistent throughout the round. Other than a chip in, I hit my shot of the match with the 7I. I was 155 out into a slight breeze, not much but it was there. I hit a smooth but solid 7I that had a mid-high ball flight and was dead straight, right at the pin. I ended up 5 feet past the pin, but missed the putt for birdie. Doh. These clubs just give me an added confidence boost when I am standing over the ball and I love it.

Blade (8,9,PW) - As mentioned above, I have fallen in love with these short irons. They look amazing, feel great, and are accurate. Before we played our 9 hole match, we were just out on the course playing a few practice holes and I hit an 8I from 150Y to 2'. It seemed like wherever I aimed, these went. They were straight as an arrow. Not much else to add about these short irons, they are just great.

All in all it was a great 13 holes and even though I ended up losing the match, I was hitting the ball good. I am really enjoying this opportunity and want to know what else I can do to make it better? I am going to the range this afternoon, and probably playing twilight again, so if anyone has any questions or anything they want me to look at or work on, let me know. I want to do the best job I can with this testing and encourage constructive criticism, or suggestions.

What's the trajectory like with the mid irons - 7i etc?

I find with my current irons that they get up a little too high at times which can be a hindrance especially into the wind

I have the SL S300s in mine and I'd say the 7 iron has a nice mid trajectory. I think I hit it once yesterday and it was into the wind (only 7-8 mph winds), but it penetrated very nicely. I change my ball position to change my trajectory quite a bit though throughout a round. I like to play quite a few knockdown shots every round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff- with the short irons, are you taking full shots, 3/4? I would think you'd want a more controlled swing to maximize the control of these irons so I'm curious to see what type of swing you're using for those....great thoughts so far

So far, I am able to take full swings with the short irons and still have control. That being said, I don't "go after" the ball, I have been working on my tempo all year and have gained a lot of control. I guess you could say it is more of a 3/4 swing tempo, but I consider it a full swing. Kind of confusing, hope this helps. If you'd like, I could try to get a video this afternoon.

Hey testers,
I am curious, are you finding the hex grooves adding more or less spin on the scoring clubs? I have yet to play these on course but found when struck well they kinda chew the ball.

I haven't had any issues with chewing the ball, any more than my previous set that is. The spin was still there, as I was able to hold greens no problem. I didn't have any short irons spin back, like my previous set, but they one hop and stopped which I actually prefer. I will pay more attention to this today, I am playing around 2 (pacific time) and will update after.

I find with my current irons that they get up a little too high at times which can be a hindrance especially into the wind

The mid irons (5,6,7) have had a mid ball flight for me so far. I have the KBS Tour stiffs in my irons. However, I have been practicing knock down shots on the range and it seems to be pretty easily done with these clubs.

The mid irons (5,6,7) have had a mid ball flight for me so far. I have the KBS Tour stiffs in my irons. However, I have been practicing knock down shots on the range and it seems to be pretty easily done with these clubs.

THose KBS' probably make a little bit easier to hit those great knock-down shots.

After reading all these great updates, I'm itching to get involved! Shouldn't be too long now. Sounds like you guys are really learning to work these babies!

Agree with others that shaft will play a large part in this. I have the project x 5.0 shafts and see a mid-high ball flight so far. I will however be working on ball positioning this week to try and work out the "fat shots" so will be interesting to see how that affects ball flight.

Played 22 holes yesterday (twilight) and am starting to figure these irons out as far as distances are concerned. Yesterday these were about a whole club longer than my previous set (which has very similar lofts). I am still getting used to, and having a little trouble with, the 3 and 4 irons. I hit a few good shots with both clubs, but hit some ugly ones as well, missing left and right. The 5, 6, and 7 were great all round, and the 8, 9 and PW were exceptional. On one of the par 5's I faded my second shot with the 3I into red stakes, took a drop and stuffed a PW to 3 feet, made the putt to save par. All in all, I am loving these irons so far.

I'm at the range now and hoping to play at least 9 today. I will update this evening or tomorrow morning because it's the 4th.

Played 22 holes yesterday (twilight) and am starting to figure these irons out as far as distances are concerned. Yesterday these were about a whole club longer than my previous set (which has very similar lofts). I am still getting used to, and having a little trouble with, the 3 and 4 irons. I hit a few good shots with both clubs, but hit some ugly ones as well, missing left and right. The 5, 6, and 7 were great all round, and the 8, 9 and PW were exceptional. On one of the par 5's I faded my second shot with the 3I into red stakes, took a drop and stuffed a PW to 3 feet, made the putt to save par. All in all, I am loving these irons so far.

I'm at the range now and hoping to play at least 9 today. I will update this evening or tomorrow morning because it's the 4th.

Its great to see you liking these irons. 3 and 4s are tough to hit so it may just take some practice.

Its great to see you liking these irons. 3 and 4s are tough to hit so it may just take some practice.

Exactly. When I hit them good, they're great. I hit them pretty well off the tee, just having a little trouble off the deck. I will definitely keep working on it.

On a 349 yard par 4, I hit a 3I off the tee to play it safe. I crushed it and was practically on top of the 100 yard marker in the middle of the fairway. This is the farthest I've ever hit a 3I. Granted, I got some decent roll out, but still.

Just got done with my range session here at the course. I was hitting the ball really well and hope it translates to the course in an hour or so. I was trying to hit basically 3/4 tempo shots with all of my clubs to gain control throughout the set. This was very effective and helped me hit the 3 and 4 iron consistently solid. Also with the 3 and 4, I moved a bit closer to the ball because I was hitting off the toe a little yesterday. This helped quite a bit. I was also hitting a couple knock down/punch shots with most clubs, which was pretty successful.

Anyone else having trouble cleaning the grooves because they are so small? I am just using a wetted towel and it takes longer than normal. I haven't tried using a scrub brush and I may resort to that.

Anyone else having trouble cleaning the grooves because they are so small? I am just using a wetted towel and it takes longer than normal. I haven't tried using a scrub brush and I may resort to that.

Having hit so many fat shots I have spent my fair share of time cleaning the grooves. I actually keep a little squirt bottle of water in my bag that I use to spray the iron head (if needed) before wiping it with a towel. I am not a fan of constantly re-wetting a towel. This has worked pretty well but there is definitely some times when I have to rub a bit more with the towel than I would like. Hoping the combination of my squirt bottle and Spotless Swing towel which is on the way makes it a bit easier than a standard towel.

So who has a favorite club so far?

I do! PW for me right now. I have knocked it close a few times already with the PW. Love it.

I have not hit a bunch of goods irons on the course yet but the few really good ones have come from the PW (see Fridays post with the pic of me hitting a knock down PW from 99 yards to 12 inches for a
tap in birdie).

Sent from my Tapatalk!

I know I'm not supposed to come and say this but.....I can't wait for these irons to show up!! I have a plan of attack to start this review and I can't wait to get it started. I said I was not going to read the thread until I got to hit my irons first but god I'm so tempted!!

Great reviews so far! I look forward to reading more. Keep em coming!

awesome work thus far all! keep it up - hope you continue to dial them in!

Sounds like the blades are not as intimidating as they looks. They are Beauts! Keep the reviews coming. Have you all found reasonable success with the longer irons?

so those that have a favorite club......what is the one that you are struggling with hitting?

I can't believe there isn't much activity on this thread! I will update tomorrow about my 9 holes today.

I've expressed this already, but I would say the 3 and/or 4 iron.

Is this because you haven't had a 3i in the bag or are they just more difficult to hit well?

Back