TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

I started taking interest in golf way back in 2000, took lesson to get the basics right. Took 2 years to break 100, accomplished this when I learned how to use the Driver. It took another 4 years before I broke 90 and I usually do this courtesy of good chipping and putting. I am a decent driver but I was never a good iron player, I would probably hit one good iron shot in a game and this is where my game got stuck. I have taken lessons, change equipment and custom fit my irons nothing helps. Obviously never even consider blades as the best I can do is a 5i cavity back on a regular graphite shaft.

I would not know the difference between good and bad iron swing as all of them feels the same to me. Then I played with a friend of mine who 5 years ago I have to wait for him for about 5 mins to reach my driving distance. This time he was the one waiting for me. He felt so sad to see the state of my iron play that after a third hole he never use his driver for me to catch up with his distance. Officially I hold an 18 handicap but now I can barely break 100.

In the quest to improve, I decided to try players irons, my head keep telling me “it’s not the clubs but your swing, you can’t even hit cavity back properly and you want to try blades? Have you gone mad?”, my heart is telling me “how can you improve if you your clubs are not telling you what wrong with your swing?”

Heart prevailed, got the taylormade tour prepared MB, TT S300. Wife complains she is also a golfer “what the @#$% is wrong with you, you think a small clubhead and a stiff shaft is going to save you some strokes? Did you even bother checking your swing speed before you got those stiff shafted clubs?”

Wife and I went to the range, first club PW. Top it!, I look at my wife and I said “warming up”. Second try PW, went straight…right of the target. Told wife “the club just told me I was standing too far from the ball, see the mark on the clubhead it’s on the toe”. Wife said “that’s a pitching wedge and you can’t even hit it”.

Adjusted and stand closer to the ball by about half an inch, took my swing and heard a very soft “tuck”. What did the club told you this time asked the wife, I said “Nothing, what ball I was using? Why it felt so soft like I did not hit anything?” wife reply “range ball dear”. I ask where did the ball go and how far?, wife has no reaction. Swing again, same soft feeling same sound. This time I saw where the ball went, straight to the target line 120 yards. Lucky shot wife replied, now try a 4 iron wife insisted, “Dear one step at a time”. No get that 4 iron and hit it. Pressure as the last time I hit 4 iron correctly was...can’t remember.

So 4 iron of we go, fade ball flight and landed on the green marked as 170 yards, 3 foot short from the flag. Wife said “just a lucky shot, if those things really help to swing better, hit another shot…but draw ball flight same target”. Dear your pushing it I replied. Out of curiosity I tried anyway set up for a draw..this time I did manage to draw the ball but overshoot the target green. Wife stands up and said “you missed the green, Im going to get something to eat”

Wife comes back after her snack and ask “Do they have those on lady flex?” …..PRICELESS ;)

I am very happy with these irons. I have the kbs shafts and I would have a hard time parting with these. Awesome flight, high but not really as high as my old CB's. Dead straight when hit well and a nice drop. People told me I shouldn't play these because their for more skilled players. What does that mean? I hit these better than my CB's. Confidence is big with these. Once your dialed in, wow. I think I will have these for a long time.

Seriously considering getting a custom set consisting of these and the MCs'. I am thinking of 4-7i in the MC and then 8-PW in the MB (like I have with my 735's). There is no way am I good enough to be playing a full set of MB's but I like the blades for the short irons.

Question - How does TM price them when doing a combo set, is it the same price as if buying a full set of one type?

Seriously considering getting a custom set consisting of these and the MCs'. I am thinking of 4-7i in the MC and then 8-PW in the MB (like I have with my 735's). There is no way am I good enough to be playing a full set of MB's but I like the blades for the short irons.

Question - How does TM price them when doing a combo set, is it the same price as if buying a full set of one type?

Every set is just a price per club, so when pricing a mixed set you pay the same thing. I believe its around 110 per club.

Still loving my irons. No more fade distance is back. And they feel so smooth on nice shots! Plus, they are GORGEOUS!!!

Still loving my irons. No more fade distance is back. And they feel so smooth on nice shots! Plus, they are GORGEOUS!!!

Agreed! I am just at the back end of being fully dialed into these. I am about due for a hosel rocket, but that is a good reminder to keep my head down and concentrate. I have been reading a lot about forgiveness and ability in regards to varying iron that people should be looking at or playing. I must say that while many many points are valid and hold a lot of truth. These irons captivated me and I have liked them since switching. Sure I am not going to get GI help on on misses. Thats not what I was going for. I love the shape and size of these, it helped break a barrier of just hitting the club (I know its what your supposed to do) and focus. When I hit these poorly, I get the feedback I need to attempt to fix my swing. Distance is consistent, I hit my 6i 160-70, I need to know how far my clubs will get me. I am very happy with the KBS shafts and they feel smooth throughout the swing.

I am happy with these clubs, however, there is still a VR shootout to be had this week. When an iron looks so good, it must inspire something? At least I think I look great missing! :)

Just took these out for a morning session. I wanted to try these after gaming a cavity backed iron for the past 3 months to see what would happen.

These things feel great, once again I have not felt a better balanced iron but unfortunately unless your putting a perfect swing on the ball everytime there is just too much loss of distance. However with that being said, coming from playing Titleist ZB's, Nike VR TW Blades, and a Cleveland CG1's, none of them compare to these. If you are good enough to game these you should give them a shot.

Blade iron with about as much tech as you can get into one of these.

Jrod I was just flipping through here because I am seriously considering these irons. Loved the feel of the 8 iron I hit at a demo day earlier this year. Any chance you could bring a couple of these irons along to our round next week?

Jrod I was just flipping through here because I am seriously considering these irons. Loved the feel of the 8 iron I hit at a demo day earlier this year. Any chance you could bring a couple of these irons along to our round next week?

Absdolutely which ones would you like me to bring? I actually think Slider uses these also so he should have the entire set.

Ah yes I see he does have them. What shaft do you have on yours? He has X-stiff and I usually use stiff so if you use stiff it might be better for me to try yours. If not I'll just ask him if I can hit a couple of his. I'm interested in hitting a longer iron like a 4 and then maybe a 7. I'm trying to decide if I get a set of TP's if I want a full set of MB's or a MC/MB combo set.

Edit: nevermind I saw in your pics they are X100 shafts. If slider is playing with his I will just ask if he minds if I hit a couple, that way you don't have to lug along any extra clubs with you. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Ah yes I see he does have them. What shaft do you have on yours? He has X-stiff and I usually use stiff so if you use stiff it might be better for me to try yours. If not I'll just ask him if I can hit a couple of his. I'm interested in hitting a longer iron like a 4 and then maybe a 7. I'm trying to decide if I get a set of TP's if I want a full set of MB's or a MC/MB combo set.

Edit: nevermind I saw in your pics they are X100 shafts. If slider is playing with his I will just ask if he minds if I hit a couple, that way you don't have to lug along any extra clubs with you. Thanks anyway!

You are more than welcome to try them out. Mine are .5" long and standard all else.

Taking these out again for a range session. I love looking at these. They feel so good in hand, and the sound at impact is a thing of beauty.

Thank you for keeping up the feedback dude. I still think about throwing some money at these just to have haha. Gorgeous irons.

Taking these out again for a range session. I love looking at these. They feel so good in hand, and the sound at impact is a thing of beauty.

Thank you for keeping up the feedback dude. I still think about throwing some money at these just to have haha. Gorgeous irons.

They really are bro. I love playing them also, they groove my swing so nicely. Blades get a lot of flack here but nothing gets through the turf as well as these, especially the gnarly rough. Of course I'm always in the short stuff. :beat-up:

hahahaha.. Well when you tee it up with a 4i I expect nothing less! Seriously though, I agree. Yeah probably not a good fit for the majority of us, but when you're talking looks.. these are just amazing and sounds like performance wise.. almost untouched in the blade category. Although I could think of a contender or two that would be fun to put up against these.

They really are bro. I love playing them also, they groove my swing so nicely. Blades get a lot of flack here but nothing gets through the turf as well as these, especially the gnarly rough. Of course I'm always in the short stuff. :beat-up:

hahahaha.. Well when you tee it up with a 4i I expect nothing less! Seriously though, I agree. Yeah probably not a good fit for the majority of us, but when you're talking looks.. these are just amazing and sounds like performance wise.. almost untouched in the blade category. Although I could think of a contender or two that would be fun to put up against these.

I love how they put so much tech into a blade iron. The nut isn't the most gorgeous thing in the world but it serves its purpose well. I have hit probably 6-7 blade irons in the past 2 years and these by far feel the best throughout the swing.

Looked this up after stopping at Golf Galaxy today. Really interested in these irons and got some good feedback on the first 11 pages. I play the Nike CCI irons right now and love them but have had them for years now and just ready for a new set. TM is my top company so i def want to look into the 3-4(with the R11s coming out in September) sets of irons TM has to offer. Once i get back home from Vac im going to have my head pro take me up on the range and do a shaft optimizer and hit a bunch of irons including these.

Looked this up after stopping at Golf Galaxy today. Really interested in these irons and got some good feedback on the first 11 pages. I play the Nike CCI irons right now and love them but have had them for years now and just ready for a new set. TM is my top company so i def want to look into the 3-4(with the R11s coming out in September) sets of irons TM has to offer. Once i get back home from Vac im going to have my head pro take me up on the range and do a shaft optimizer and hit a bunch of irons including these.
That sounds awesome man, have fun with the selection process. The TM TP MBs are some wicked good blade irons, I haven't hit them in a while because I've been playing my Morgan Cup irons but man the sweet feel from a solidly struck shot with these irons is addicting!

I've been gaming them since May and have yet to have a single stinger from these irons. I don't consider them to be a blade when it comes to reliability and forgiveness. At this point I don't question whether my blade is going to perform, I know it will, and it has time and time again this year. I will be keeping these for awhile.

Let's see how TM tops this iron in the future.

I have had my MC/MB combo set for about two months. These things are awesome. I have become one with them. I really like the way the heads frame the ball. There is not really much to look at. I really need to have good swings, anytime I get lazy, I get punished. I tried to compare these to a variety of other clubs such as 2.0's. I could not hit the 2.0's and was frsutrated with that. I am so used to my clubs. I have since sworn off trying anything else. Stopping power on the green is great. I have yet to roll one back, however, I normally get within a foot of the divot with my 8-PW. 6-7 take a little bit more hop, but not much. Forgiveness off mishits is not really there, I lose yards. I have hit a few, litereally, stingers. I feel it, but not where I am in pain. That could be because double tape and mid size grips. I feel that the KBS tours are great shafts. They load up well and give me a nice flight. When I first got them, I had a mid flight. Now I get them about as high as my old cb's with the XP. LIttle less with a nice boring flight.

Like many of you, if TM can top these irons. I would be a buyer!

I have had a combo set for about 2 months now and still love these irons. Only downside is that they are making me really paranoid about bag chatter and whatnot. I have been going out of my way to keep these clean and protected only to have my moron brother in law drop my bag out the back of his SUV. Only the pw and 8iron got dinged up but it sucks.

Anyway, these irons have been perfect for me. I actually broke 80 for the first time last weekend with these (7 over 78). I am going out this weekend to see if it was a fluke. Being a 16 HC, this was a huge jump for me. I thought it was going to be another year before I got anywhere near 80. My previous best was an 83. That also happened to be my first round with these irons. They must be good luck. I actually won two tournaments with them in the past month. One was a scramble and the other a two man best hole format. Given, my playing partner is a 5 HC but I still managed to contribute and actually won a closest to the hole at a NCGA tournament (35"/175 yards). Maybe TM can start marketing these irons as being "lucky" as well as long.

I have had a combo set for about 2 months now and still love these irons. Only downside is that they are making me really paranoid about bag chatter and whatnot. I have been going out of my way to keep these clean and protected only to have my moron brother in law drop my bag out the back of his SUV. Only the pw and 8iron got dinged up but it sucks.

Anyway, these irons have been perfect for me. I actually broke 80 for the first time last weekend with these (7 over 78). I am going out this weekend to see if it was a fluke. Being a 16 HC, this was a huge jump for me. I thought it was going to be another year before I got anywhere near 80. My previous best was an 83. That also happened to be my first round with these irons. They must be good luck. I actually won two tournaments with them in the past month. One was a scramble and the other a two man best hole format. Given, my playing partner is a 5 HC but I still managed to contribute and actually won a closest to the hole at a NCGA tournament (35"/175 yards). Maybe TM can start marketing these irons as being "lucky" as well as long.

Congrats on the solid rounds!

Love hearing all this feedback. Although I still spend alot of range time with these it's making me miss gaming them. Soon as the Morgan Cup is over I will probably throw these back in the bag for some more serious on course testing. I love the way I am able to control my trajectory with these.

I am more than satisfied with these clubs. I fully understand that being a higher capper, there is some shortcomings of playing these. I have lost a club of distance with these compared to my R9's and CB's. Sometimes I miss that, however, not too often. Where these excel more so than the other clubs, is that I get better accuracy. When I miss hit, they do not spray out to the right as much and when I skulled them, they actually produce a playable shot because the distance loss. I love the ball flight, that may be more shaft related but it is awesome.

First few rounds with these, I really had some remorse. I had a lot of doubt going through my head as these were the first blades I have ever played. I stuck the course and resisted a trade in. After a few rounds, I became more dialed in. I did take a hit on scores, but now those scores are dropping. Like a few have said, playing these is a commitment. I can understand why some folks have said that scores will suffer and do what would help your game. I agree, but I also believe that fun is a major factor for why I golf. These are just too much fun. I get over bad shots quickly and when I refocus and hit a nice one, the sound and fell keep my coming back.

Keeping things short, these clubs are great for ME. I have to stay focused and accepting that they are not the most forgiving. If you want a forgiving iron, these are not 2.0's, razr, or a host of others. If you want something that is gorgeous, accurate, gives you a bit more control (up, down, side-side) these may work for you. Distance on well struck shots is good, not 2.0 long, but good enough to put me in a position to score.

Weakness of these is stock grip. Those things suck, IMO.

Cheers

I am more than satisfied with these clubs. I fully understand that being a higher capper, there is some shortcomings of playing these. I have lost a club of distance with these compared to my R9's and CB's. Sometimes I miss that, however, not too often. Where these excel more so than the other clubs, is that I get better accuracy. When I miss hit, they do not spray out to the right as much and when I skulled them, they actually produce a playable shot because the distance loss. I love the ball flight, that may be more shaft related but it is awesome.

First few rounds with these, I really had some remorse. I had a lot of doubt going through my head as these were the first blades I have ever played. I stuck the course and resisted a trade in. After a few rounds, I became more dialed in. I did take a hit on scores, but now those scores are dropping. Like a few have said, playing these is a commitment. I can understand why some folks have said that scores will suffer and do what would help your game. I agree, but I also believe that fun is a major factor for why I golf. These are just too much fun. I get over bad shots quickly and when I refocus and hit a nice one, the sound and fell keep my coming back.

Keeping things short, these clubs are great for ME. I have to stay focused and accepting that they are not the most forgiving. If you want a forgiving iron, these are not 2.0's, razr, or a host of others. If you want something that is gorgeous, accurate, gives you a bit more control (up, down, side-side) these may work for you. Distance on well struck shots is good, not 2.0 long, but good enough to put me in a position to score.

Weakness of these is stock grip. Those things suck, IMO.

Cheers

+1 on this one. I was the same way. When I first got mine. Do I still have some bad shots, YES! But do I have a lot of good shots, a even bigger YES! I have no regrets at all. I did have distance loss at first, but thanks to my TM Speed Sleeve, that is no longer a problem...

Back