TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

If I were you, I would put a big move on saving for them. I didn't think they would change my game that much, but I could not have been more wrong. When I got mine, I instantly clubbed down 1 club. Now, with some lessons under my belt and a much improved swing I have dropped down another full club. Nothing like standing over an 8-iron from 150 and knowing with some certainty that I can stick the green. Obviously that still doesn't happen as often as I'd like, but it's WAY more often than with my old irons.

That has been my only disappointment so far with these clubs. I really have seen any distance increase at all.

Good feedback guys. I'm one of those who have tried these irons in multiple shaft setups and could never fall in love, despite wanting to! In the past month I tried again with KBS shafts and I cannot believe how great they perform for me, a completely different set of irons. This thread is a testament to custom fitting and the results you can get from clubs that are not off the rack. It's worth it to resist the temptation to buy it when you see and wait the 2-3 weeks for a fitted set to arrive on your door step.

That has been my only disappointment so far with these clubs. I really have seen any distance increase at all.

Not for nothing Jeff, but for you to see an increase would mean like 200 yard 8-irons :D:
I can't remember what were you swinging before? Were the lofts similar?

I know when I went from my Cally X18r-s to the 2.0's the lofts were a fair bit stronger. Honestly, I was more impressed with the forgiveness on off center strikes than the distance gains. A really bad swing is still a really bad swing, but toe strikes still fly straight losing only a nominal amount of distance.

To drive this idea home... Yesterday I took my son out for a few holes before the rains came in. Par three 135 I hit PW with a pull hook that soared into the woods & long. Knowing I would never see that ball again, I teed up another. I hit it off the toe which changed the ball flight some, but the ball ended up 3" from the cup.

Not for nothing Jeff, but for you to see an increase would mean like 200 yard 8-irons :D:
I can't remember what were you swinging before? Were the lofts similar?

I know when I went from my Cally X18r-s to the 2.0's the lofts were a fair bit stronger. Honestly, I was more impressed with the forgiveness on off center strikes than the distance gains. A really bad swing is still a really bad swing, but toe strikes still fly straight losing only a nominal amount of distance.

To drive this idea home... Yesterday I took my son out for a few holes before the rains came in. Par three 135 I hit PW with a pull hook that soared into the woods & long. Knowing I would never see that ball again, I teed up another. I hit it off the toe which changed the ball flight some, but the ball ended up 3" from the cup.

I was playing the Callaway Diablo Edge's before so there isn't much of a difference in lofts. Maybe 1* at most. But the Edge's were known for being long anyway. I've really only hit these irons twice so I will have to see again how they do after this weekend.

I'm liking everything I'm hearing from everyone. I didn't think I could increase my pitching wedge past 150, but I've gotten about 5 more yards out of every club. I'm about to head over to the range if these skies will clear up. Regardless I'll be getting plenty of swings in tomorrow, as I'm heading to GolfTec for a lesson.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I'm liking everything I'm hearing from everyone. I didn't think I could increase my pitching wedge past 150, but I've gotten about 5 more yards out of every club. I'm about to head over to the range if these skies will clear up. Regardless I'll be getting plenty of swings in tomorrow, as I'm heading to GolfTec for a lesson.

PW over 150 is huge!! Love it. Good luck with your lesson, cant wait to hear the results.

skim alert...but what clubs where you playing before, jefrazie?

Nevermind-posted to quickly

Last edited:
well ive had these irons for 2 weeks now 4/sw in the standard shaft and have to say they are long and forgiving,ive only played 3 rounds with them but it takes a bit of getting use to say dropping down to a 7 iron when you would sometimes use a 6 maybe a 5,the only negative i have is geting use to the offset in the 4 iron which is taken mee a bit to get use to but if cant will just add a hybrid,but nothing better than hitting a 7 into a green 175 yards away,if your thinking about these go and try you wont be disappointed

Just wanted to add a photo of these beauties in the bag.

bag.jpg

If I had the money I would go buy a set of these right now, I absolutely love the 6 iron. Now.....how can I make some extra cash?????

If I had the money I would go buy a set of these right now, I absolutely love the 6 iron. Now.....how can I make some extra cash?????

Go power wash and stain your brothers deck... Oh wait, that's how I'm paying for the 2012 outing! :alien2::blob:

They are amazing aren't they?

Still the best buy I ever let TC talk me into hehehehe

I just got off the range. Today, I decided to back off on my swing a bit, and be smooth. This worked wonders. My ball flight was even better, and I didn't lose any distance. I was able to get the full potential out of these clubs today. As promised, I decided to work on shaping shots in this session. It's so easy. I could hit some draws, or I could hit fades. I was also eating the pins up with each shot. One other thing I noticed, was that these clubs seem to be more forgiving than I thought. I've been saying that they are forgiving, but not as much as other sets I've hit. I'm willing to say they are super forgiving now. I'm also happy about this change I've made, because it's one less thing GolfTec has to fix. If I'm rolling the rock well next round, I'm looking to shoot my lowest score ever with this new shot.

I just got off the range. Today, I decided to back off on my swing a bit, and be smooth. This worked wonders. My ball flight was even better, and I didn't lose any distance. I was able to get the full potential out of these clubs today. As promised, I decided to work on shaping shots in this session. It's so easy. I could hit some draws, or I could hit fades. I was also eating the pins up with each shot. One other thing I noticed, was that these clubs seem to be more forgiving than I thought. I've been saying that they are forgiving, but not as much as other sets I've hit. I'm willing to say they are super forgiving now. I'm also happy about this change I've made, because it's one less thing GolfTec has to fix. If I'm rolling the rock well next round, I'm looking to shoot my lowest score ever with this new shot.

I went through the SAME thing when I got mine Josh. My focus is all tempo now on irons and I'm just as long if not longer than I was, getting DEADLY with these too.

Biggsy made a post recently in the MC thread regarding shortening his hybrid swing. I know for sure when I swing my 2.0's (or anything else for that matter) if I take a full swing, it's just bad news. I haven't taken video yet, but what feels like 3/4 is probably full and yields the best results for me.

Biggsy made a post recently in the MC thread regarding shortening his hybrid swing. I know for sure when I swing my 2.0's (or anything else for that matter) if I take a full swing, it's just bad news. I haven't taken video yet, but what feels like 3/4 is probably full and yields the best results for me.

I completely agree. The swing is still a full swing, but the tempo is better. I guess I just calmed the swing down some. I'm very excited about it.

I completely agree. The swing is still a full swing, but the tempo is better. I guess I just calmed the swing down some. I'm very excited about it.

I've read about the first 8 pages of this thread so far this evening, and I am glad that a new round of testers seem to be reporting exactly what I experienced after buying a 4-PW set three months back, which has since been augmented with both AW and SW. All of which are totally standard: shaft, lie, loft, grip. I had been adding what I thought were helpful insights in the original test thread, but I have suspiscions 'regular' forum members were being less than courteous about my efforts.

I haven't played since my young teens, 20 years ago, and would class myself as a total hacker at the moment, but that doesn't mean I haven't been hitting the ball very well, and very long, since buying these clubs. I've said in my posts elsewhere, I have about a 25yard club gap, my 9i is most rigid at 150... so work out just how long my 4i has been! Well, maybe not quite 275, but several times 260 measured on-course with sat-nav buggy, and with room for huge improvement in my swing. Recently I played the classiest course I've been on (she of sat-nav buggies) and with the assistance of those measurements, found my approach shots with 6i-SW were immensely accurate for length. One long par 5, after a decent tee shot and shorter than ideal lay-up, required a 200 yard carry over water. I was too daunted to play my 7i, but also felt I typically land 190 and roll out to 200 with it, so 6i it had to be... it landed me dead in rough on a bank at the rear of the green. So 225yards. I love these clubs!

It was also great to birdie a hole before my 10handicap friend! I'm more like 20. I murdered the par3s. Very short 100yard but severe split level green with 5 bunkers surrounding, landed 6ft from hole and sunk in one putt. Landed just as close on two other 150yarders. 7i and 8i approach shots also enabled pars. Even if I'm not accurate in direction, these clubs have allowed me to be very sure of distance (on well hit shots) straight away since buying them!

I was reading with interest people's contributions about the AW and SW. I researched the loft scenario a lot (i.e. the strengthened modern lofts) to understand why the whole wedge-end of the game now exists, and I thought it went without saying that an AW was needed to fill the 10* PW-SW loft gap. The funny thing is, having 25yard gaps between all other clubs, the wedge distances falling as follows... PW125 - AW112.5 - SW100... make the AW seem a little frivellous. Especially when the SW then has to do everything <100. Since buying them, my SW instantly became my most used club, compared with only one shot in my last round for which I knew the AW offered the best full-shot distance. I hope more practice and improved technique will reveal distinct distance gaps.

Oh, one final comment. I was worried that the bounce on the wedges might be too excessive. I had thinned the PW of the main set repeatedly when first playing them. I was expecting a PW to be useable for chips and short pitches, and something to play from sand until I got back into playing and determined whether I needed a sand wedge. At the strengthened 45* I accepted within weeks that the PW is now a full swing 125yard club. I have arranged PW-AW-SW alongside each other to compare bounces, and they all appear to sit equally off the ground, yet somehow, the AW and especially SW, look to me, at address, to sit much crisper to the ground, giving confidence in the kind of contact needed.

I've read about the first 8 pages of this thread so far this evening, and I am glad that a new round of testers seem to be reporting exactly what I experienced after buying a 4-PW set three months back, which has since been augmented with both AW and SW. All of which are totally standard: shaft, lie, loft, grip. I had been adding what I thought were helpful insights in the original test thread, but I have suspiscions 'regular' forum members were being less than courteous about my efforts.

I haven't played since my young teens, 20 years ago, and would class myself as a total hacker at the moment, but that doesn't mean I haven't been hitting the ball very well, and very long, since buying these clubs. I've said in my posts elsewhere, I have about a 25yard club gap, my 9i is most rigid at 150... so work out just how long my 4i has been! Well, maybe not quite 275, but several times 260 measured on-course with sat-nav buggy, and with room for huge improvement in my swing. Recently I played the classiest course I've been on (she of sat-nav buggies) and with the assistance of those measurements, found my approach shots with 6i-SW were immensely accurate for length. One long par 5, after a decent tee shot and shorter than ideal lay-up, required a 200 yard carry over water. I was too daunted to play my 7i, but also felt I typically land 190 and roll out to 200 with it, so 6i it had to be... it landed me dead in rough on a bank at the rear of the green. So 225yards. I love these clubs!

It was also great to birdie a hole before my 10handicap friend! I'm more like 20. I murdered the par3s. Very short 100yard but severe split level green with 5 bunkers surrounding, landed 6ft from hole and sunk in one putt. Landed just as close on two other 150yarders. 7i and 8i approach shots also enabled pars. Even if I'm not accurate in direction, these clubs have allowed me to be very sure of distance (on well hit shots) straight away since buying them!

I was reading with interest people's contributions about the AW and SW. I researched the loft scenario a lot (i.e. the strengthened modern lofts) to understand why the whole wedge-end of the game now exists, and I thought it went without saying that an AW was needed to fill the 10* PW-SW loft gap. The funny thing is, having 25yard gaps between all other clubs, the wedge distances falling as follows... PW125 - AW112.5 - SW100... make the AW seem a little frivellous. Especially when the SW then has to do everything <100. Since buying them, my SW instantly became my most used club, compared with only one shot in my last round for which I knew the AW offered the best full-shot distance. I hope more practice and improved technique will reveal distinct distance gaps.

Oh, one final comment. I was worried that the bounce on the wedges might be too excessive. I had thinned the PW of the main set repeatedly when first playing them. I was expecting a PW to be useable for chips and short pitches, and something to play from sand until I got back into playing and determined whether I needed a sand wedge. At the strengthened 45* I accepted within weeks that the PW is now a full swing 125yard club. I have arranged PW-AW-SW alongside each other to compare bounces, and they all appear to sit equally off the ground, yet somehow, the AW and especially SW, look to me, at address, to sit much crisper to the ground, giving confidence in the kind of contact needed.

BB, I have not seen your posts in the original thread so I cannot comment on them or the respective replies. I will say, I have visited many, many golf forums and THP is by far the most friendly. There are definitely a bunch of ball busters here and posts that you view as "less that courteous" should be viewed as such. A 150 yard 9i is awesome, but not unheard of. It's a club longer than me (8i @ 150), but I don't carry the longest swing on the course.

Please continue to offer your feedback on these and other clubs. As you get to know everyone, you will truly find this is the best golf forum around!

I think I need to try these...I generally stray away from fm just cause I'm weird like that but that might change soon...prob. Won't get them cause I gotta get a filler set until I'm fully grown so I don't have to drop two sets off big bucks...o well I can dream

Wow, that is some incredible distance! I have never known anyone with 25 yard gaps between clubs. That is huge, and I would imagine, really difficult to manage.

Thanks for the input Bobby. You can really hit the ball a long ways!

I'll agree with mdbuschsr on what he said. Your distances aren't unheard of, as I also kind of have those distances. My PW is my 150 club, and I have about 12 yards in between clubs. So not quite the distance gaps you have, and not quite as long near the longer irons, but close with the shorter irons. Contribute as much as you like here, or ask any questions. I think everyone here would be glad to have it.

TM Burner 1.0 vs 2.0

TM Burner 1.0 vs 2.0

Firstly, thanks to all contributors for great reviews, pictures and questions! I have enjoyed reading up on the Burner clubs on this forum! I am very close to buying these...

I was hoping to get your input on my trade-off: My closest store sells the v1.0 at ~half the prize of the v2.0. How does the v1.0 compare to the v2.0 in terms of distance, consistency, workability. The v2.0 certainly looks much better :) Has anyone tried both or may help me reason around this tradeoff?

A friend of mine has the v1.0 and is very happy with them. I will thus be able to test them tomorrow on a 9h round, but that course's proshop do not carry the v2.0, so not direct comparison unfortunately.

Grateful for all input! Regards from Norway

Back