TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

New on here but been lurking for a few years. I change clubs like my underwear and am currently playing Snake Eyes 685OS with DG shafts .5 plus. My measurements actually call for 3/4 to 1" plus. Well it's my 40th birthday and I pulled the plug last night on a set of 2.0's 4-AW. +1 and 2 degree upright lie. I am praying I like them as much as I think I will. Anyone else have +1" on these clubs and have any input. I'm currently shooting right around 100 but most strokes are lost on my short game, not my iron or wood shots. Pretty solid ball striker but just fall short on touch and making good decisions when in trouble. I got these off eBay last night so I am hoping I am getting the real deal. Description says from the taylermade shop. So I think I am good. Plus he has good feedback history. Anyway, hello to everyone and thank you for any input.

New on here but been lurking for a few years. I change clubs like my underwear and am currently playing Snake Eyes 685OS with DG shafts .5 plus. My measurements actually call for 3/4 to 1" plus. Well it's my 40th birthday and I pulled the plug last night on a set of 2.0's 4-AW. +1 and 2 degree upright lie. I am praying I like them as much as I think I will. Anyone else have +1" on these clubs and have any input. I'm currently shooting right around 100 but most strokes are lost on my short game, not my iron or wood shots. Pretty solid ball striker but just fall short on touch and making good decisions when in trouble. I got these off eBay last night so I am hoping I am getting the real deal. Description says from the taylermade shop. So I think I am good. Plus he has good feedback history. Anyway, hello to everyone and thank you for any input.

My specs are +1/2" & 2* flat. So, not at all like your specs! That said, I think you'll love the clubs. Work on your short game separately, but the forgiveness and length you are are about to gain with this set will blow your mind.

I'm excited. Can't wait till they get here. They are stock stiff shafts. Hopefully they will be a good fit. I hit my 7 iron about 150 or so with my Snake Eyes. Problem I was seeing with them were in the long irons were on mats I could definitely tell the toe was digging. The upright lie angle should fix that.

Great to see everyone is still having lots of success with these!

I guess I will be waiting till next week to game these new beauties. The seller is shipping them for me today! Awesome! Only 5 hours away but wont get here till Monday. Very impressed with the seller!

Out of interest, I wonder whether contributors might list their yardages with:

driver
woods
hybrids
longest irons

Do you carry all these clubs to fill distance gaps between driver and irons? Do you feel you need tham all? Are they the right tool for the job, but only come out the bag a couple of times each per round?

Getting back into the game, playing just the 2.0 irons (4-PW-AW-SW), I suppose a driver or long hybrid will be the next club on the shopping list. But having had time to look strategically at my local course, there's only 3 or 4 holes where an accurate drive (300yards+) would be advantageous, and another 3 or 4 holes where something between irons and driver (260-290) would be of benefit.

Because I'm finding that, when hit well, the 2.0 irons are so long, it's going to feel an expensive choice to add clubs that can go further than my irons!

Yesterday I played two identical shots with a 6i landing in the same green bunker at 205yards, and on two subsequent holes I produced 245yard 4i shots, playing the entire length of one par4 - which is even a slight incline!

One totally seperate question, have any of the testers felt the claim of the 'highered centre of gravity in the short irons' to be the case? I know I certainly have. During recent rounds, whilst the course has been very quiet, I have played multiple balls at the 150yard par3s with my 9i. Some shots have been dangerously low, verging on thinned, and have looked like they'd travel forever, yet incredibly travelled my usual 150, or 160 tops, and from an impossible angle, still stopped dead?!?!? Not pretty, and not the norm, because I usually send them nice and high, but there's definitely something at play here which is odd but marvellous!

Last edited:

driver 280
woods 250
hybrids 220
longest irons 210

Do you carry all these clubs to fill distance gaps between driver and irons? I do.Do you feel you need tham all? I feel it is much easier to take an 85% swing at all times rather than try to limit or force something. Much easier to pick the right club than make one adapt IMO. Are they the right tool for the job, but only come out the bag a couple of times each per round? Yes and no. I only play the 4I when I need a low rising shot. I'm more comfortable playing a hybrid. However, I pretty much use my 7I as a utility club.

Getting back into the game, playing just the 2.0 irons (4-PW-AW-SW), I suppose a driver or long hybrid will be the next club on the shopping list. But having had time to look strategically at my local course, there's only 3 or 4 holes where an accurate drive (300yards+) would be advantageous, and another 3 or 4 holes where something between irons and driver (260-290) would be of benefit.

Because I'm finding that, when hit well, the 2.0 irons are so long, it's going to feel an expensive choice to add clubs that can go further than my irons!

Yesterday I played two identical shots with a 6i landing in the same green bunker at 205yards, and on two susequent holes I produced 245yard 4i shots, playing the entire length of one par4 - which is even a slight incline!

One totally seperate question, have any of the testers felt the claim of the 'highered centre of gravity in the short irons' to be the case? I know I certainly have. During recent rounds, whilst the course has been very quiet, I have played multiple balls at the 150yard par3s with my 9i. Some shots have been dangerously low, verging on thinned, and have looked like they'd travel forever, yet incredibly travelled my usual 150, or 160 tops, and from an impossible angle, still stopped dead?!?!? Not pretty, and not the norm, because I usually send them nice and high, but there's definitely something at play here which is odd but marvellous!

Responded.

Update!

League night for work was last night and I brought along the 2.0's. We played from the white tees (68.4, 123). I got there a few minutes late so I didn't have any time to warm up with irons or woods.

Hole 1
Par 4, 429 yards. Hardest hole on the golf course. Tee off with hybrid and land with about 160 left to the hole (downhill and slight dogleg left). Take out an 8I and proceed to top it into the water right in front of me. I drop where I went in and change clubs. Playing from 130 and I chunk a PW also into the water. :banghead: Drop where I went in and play a 60* onto the green and 2 putt. Wonderful 7.

Hole 2
Par 4, 330 yards. I tee off with a hybrid again and this time yank it left into the creek. The day is starting out great. Drop where I went in and play a nice easy 7I onto the green from about 150 and a lie above my feet. 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 3
Par 3, 164 yards. This is normally my 8I but after seeing how I had been hitting I decided to hit a 7I. Swung nice and easy and put it right at the pin about 10 feet from it. 2 putt for par.

Hole 4
Par 5, 449 yards. Pull my drive left into the adjacent fairway but still have a decent shot. I have to get it up in a hurry and then down in a hurry to get over the trees and avoid the sand trap. I hit a perfect shot and land 40 yards from the green. 60* to about 10 feet and 2 putt for par.

Hole 5
Par 4, 366 yards. Hit a decent drive and fade a little bit at the end into the edge of the trees. Play a 7I out of the trees to the front fringe of the green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 6
Par 4, 329 yards. Tee off with a 7I and stripe one down the middle that lands right next to the 150 marker. Play a 9I and miss just to the right of the green. Flub a chip, chip on and 1 putt. Bogey

Hole 7
Par 4, 390 yards. Push a 3W right off the tee. Play a 7I out from the edge of the trees and just left of the green. Chip on and 3 putt for a 6. :angry:

Hole 8
Par 3, 135 yards. Short par 3. Play a PW right at the pin. Lands about 5 feet from the pin. Miss the birdie. Par

Hole 9
Par 4, 386 yards. Rip a drive right down the middle to about 80 yards. Play a 50* onto the green. 2 putt for par.

Overall, not too bad of a day. Shot a 44 after the triple on the first hole. At least it seems that I've gotten the "tops" out of my system. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

More to come....

Bobby... Good shot yardages +/- 5 yards

Driver 9* 280+ yards
3 Wood 13.5* 255
2 Hybrid 17* 235
4 iron 21* 225
5 iron 24* 215
6 iron 27* 205
7 iron 31* 185
8 iron 35* 165
9 iron 40* 150
PW 45* 140
W 50*
SW 55*
W 58*

I do not have a single loft gap in my set more than 5*. With the 2.0's I have a bit of an issue with the gaps between my 6 and 7 iron (190-197 yards), but outside of that it is perfect for me so far. I just need to learn a knock down 6 iron and/or a nuked 7 iron to close the gap.

I hit the range last night and hit 4 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, PW exclusively. Reason why... I haven't hit the 4 much, wanted to try and figure out the 6-7 iron gap, and needed to dial in the PW. Here are the highlights.

4 iron: When hit well, this thing is a rocket. Sound is awesome, feel is buttery (I know they aren't forged but still... HAHA), and the distance is borderline rediculous. I was hanging with my good friend Mike S who happens to be a PGA teaching pro, and he couldn't believe the distance I was getting. When I hit the 4 iron on the nuts, I was getting 230 yards on my rangefinder with older range balls. That is seriously impressive, considering I usually get a good bit more distance with the Penta or Z Star than with range balls. The majority of my 4 iron shots were more in the range of 215-220, that equates to 225-230 with my gamer balls. I had a tough time turning the ball over with this club, but managed to do it a few times. Unfortunately, I did hit some overcooked hooks while trying to hit a draw, so I won't be attempting this in a round until I am more comfy. Most of my shots were nice slight fades which is my natural ball flight. I would really like to hit a green from 220+ out of the fairway with this club to see how the ball reacts on the green. I am rapidly gaining confidence with this club!

6 iron: My favorite club in the bag right now! Hit it great... AGAIN. Took about 20 full swings with it and only miss hit 1 ball. I can draw this club, fade this club, and hit it straight. My rangefinder distances with range balls was a consistant 200-205. Next I started to try choked down shots with the 6. Figured hitting it 180-185 was the goal since they are range balls and my trouble distance is 190. Did ok, but not great results. When I don't swing aggressively, I tend to increase my natural fade. I can't seem to keep my swing plane the same as my full shots, and possibly get a little lazy with my hands. Need more work with this. Not a shot I feel great about gaming with regularity yet.

7 iron: Another favorite club. Can pretty much do the same things with the 7 that I can with the 6. Hit 12 great full shots with it and was getting a very consistant 175 with it. Now it is time to try and close the gap and fire the ball out there 185 if possible. Ehhh! Not terrible, not great. Just ehhh. I purposely tried 10 shots, and the goal was 185. Got it to 185 only twice with pure hits. Hit it thin twice and fat once. The thin shots actually turned out pretty good, but not what I was looking for. It was appearant that I was over swinging to try and acheive the added distance goals. This 190-195 thing is not going to be a quick fix, but now that I am aware of it, I should be able to avoid this yardage on the course until I figure it out.

PW: Finished up my range session with some PW work. There is a target at this range that is at 135 yards. I took dead aim at it with 10 shots with my PW. Not one shot was more than 15' off line and the distance was very consistant. I hit the ball within 10 feet of the target 5 of the 10 shots and 8 of the 10 would have most likely been a GIR. The other 2 would have been close to the green and were not bad shots by any stretch. Overall very happy ending to the range session.

I really want to have something bad to say about this set of irons, but I can't find any weaknesses. Are they for everyone? Probably not, but I am a big fan of game improvement clubs and these are as good as they come. Are they forged blades? No. I am not good enough to play blades anyway. I have hit blades many times, and I cannot deal with the mis hit losses. They hurt my game and score. I would much rather have a set of game improvement irons like the 2.0's in my bag. I have very little need to work the ball a ton, but when I need to, I certainly can. The distance is amazing, the sound is great off the face, and I love the feel of the pured shots. I love the mis hits as well. Still get a good amount of yardage and for the most part they stay on line. The 2.0's are just a VERY SOLID set of irons that I believe anyone from scratch to 30+ HC'ers can game.

I have to say, I'm loving this thread. You all are doing a fantastic job here with some wonderful sticks. Sounds like I'll have to keep dreaming of these beauties for some time to come, so keep the info, stories and results coming, your all doing a great job!

Anyone see anything on shaft recommendations for your swing speed on these? I purchased the stiff shafts +1". I'm hoping they play a little softer per the added length. My ss on my driver is a consistent 95mph and I hit my snake eyes 685os 7 iron easily 150-155. That was on the range a few days ago. Do you think the stiff shaft will be a good fit. I will sacrifice a little yardage for tighter dispersion 7 days a week. What's your opinion?

Anyone see anything on shaft recommendations for your swing speed on these? I purchased the stiff shafts +1". I'm hoping they play a little softer per the added length. My ss on my driver is a consistent 95mph and I hit my snake eyes 685os 7 iron easily 150-155. That was on the range a few days ago. Do you think the stiff shaft will be a good fit. I will sacrifice a little yardage for tighter dispersion 7 days a week. What's your opinion?

Were you fit for that shaft? That is what made my decision on which one to go with.

I was fit also by a TM rep. I was hesitant to get a shaft that was 20+ grams heavier than my old shafts but he insisted that was the best offering for my swing. I even PM'ed TOMAHAWK18 because were fit to the same shaft by TM. He was also coming from a much lighter shaft. The TM rep was absolutely correct.

I don't have as much time in with these clubs as some others on this thread but I have spent 3 hours on the range and played 27 holes thusfar but the results speak for themselves.

I live in the boon docks and have nothing in the way of a brand name club fitter but I was fit for 1"+ and highly recommended to a stiff shaft by a local club maker. He put me in 1/2 plus. Not sure why. I would like a more upright stance and these should do that. Bad back from 24 year of fighting fires. Plus should be able to take easier swing with 1+

driver 300+
woods 270-280
hybrids 250
longest irons 225

Do you carry all these clubs to fill distance gaps between driver and irons? I actually don't have a hybrid yet, but I'm getting one to fill that huge gap. Do you feel you need tham all? I think so, because I play only the back tees, and I play in many different places. Sometimes these longer clubs are needed. Are they the right tool for the job, but only come out the bag a couple of times each per round? I feel that once I get the M2 Mashie, I will have all the right tools in my bag.

Yesterday I played two identical shots with a 6i landing in the same green bunker at 205yards, and on two subsequent holes I produced 245yard 4i shots, playing the entire length of one par4 - which is even a slight incline!

I have noticed this a couple of times. One time I hit the 9 iron and thought I had hit it thin, but the ball landed and checked up nicely.

There ya go. Hope this helps.

I used to carry a 22* hybrid as a 4 iron replacement, but have since taken it out of the bag for this testing. I am hitting the 2.0 4 iron around 220-225 yards and pretty straight. The feel of these long irons is exceptional and the sound when hit crisply is awesome. My 22* hybrid was my 210 yard club previously, so I am getting a some distance increases with the 21* 4 iron.

While I don't hit the 4 iron that far(210 for me), I did the same thing. I pulled the 4 iron out of my Callaway X-20 set and put in a 22* hybrid.
Since I got my Burner 2.0's, I have pulled that hybrid out of the bag and put in the 2.0 4 iron.
I am hitting it just as consistent as the hybrid and I feel more confident with the 4 iron.

Weather permitting, I will be getting in some type of golf tomorrow, whether it's on the range, or at the course. Look for an update tomorrow evening!

My irons are setting on the UPS truck in my town and I can't get them till Monday. Argh!

That's just painful! Can't get in touch with them to arrange for pick up?

Great reviews guys, I am so ready for a new set of irons and these are at the top of my list right now.

Weather permitting, I will be getting in some type of golf tomorrow, whether it's on the range, or at the course. Look for an update tomorrow evening!

Make that in the morning. Too much happened today to get out there.

I called UPS and was willing to drive 2 hours to the last stop to get them. They wouldn't work with me. So I have them held here at the local terminal and will pick them up Monday morning. I shot a 104 today. Drove awesome, 2nd shot was awesome, and putted awesome. But my chipping killed me. 2 penalty shots and bunker play in brick hard bunkers killed me. We played Black Rock in Hagerstown Md. Very nice course.

I called UPS and was willing to drive 2 hours to the last stop to get them. They wouldn't work with me. So I have them held here at the local terminal and will pick them up Monday morning. I shot a 104 today. Drove awesome, 2nd shot was awesome, and putted awesome. But my chipping killed me. 2 penalty shots and bunker play in brick hard bunkers killed me. We played Black Rock in Hagerstown Md. Very nice course.

Well hey, at least you know you're getting them for sure Monday. Try to keep yourself contained over the weekend, haha.

Back