When to switch to blades?

You can work the golf ball EASILY with any type of iron. I can hit a 20 yard hook/ or slice with any iron if i wanted to. I would think it would be easier without a blade as its more forgiving and you don't have to do it just perfectly. IMO it's all about feel and look but if your not a perfect ball striker then id say blades are a bad option. I feel im a very good ball striker but i myself have 1-3 really bad iron shots a round and would hate to see it with a blade.

I disagree.

I don't think you should go to a blade until your good enough to hit it consistently, roughly a 5ish hcp.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

You can work the golf ball EASILY with any type of iron.

I disagree as well. I think SGI irons are WAY less workable (on purpose). While there may be some folks who could work the ball with them, they are typically made to hit the ball straight.

I disagree as well. I think SGI irons are WAY less workable (on purpose). While there may be some folks who could work the ball with them, they are typically made to hit the ball straight.

I'm not going to say UNC is right or wrong here but a blade for him, a 2 hcp, is going to much easier to work than anything else. For a higher handicap player blades are very hard to hit because they work the ball by closing or opening the face not changing the swing path like UNC most likely does.

We can agree to disagree!

What about the arguement of consistent distances and smaller dispersion rate with blades as opposed to cavity backs?

I'm not going to say UNC is right or wrong here but a blade for him, a 2 hcp, is going to much easier to work than anything else. For a higher handicap player blades are very hard to hit because they work the ball by closing or opening the face not changing the swing path like UNC most likely does.

this. If you just open or close the face to hit a different shot of course you aren't going to be able to work the ball much at all you have to change the way you swing the club. a draw for me is my natural shot so of course a hook is real easy for me to hit as i can hit them 30 yards with a 7iron and longer and less draw with the shorter clubs because they are harder to move but overall i'm very confident that i could move any iron because it's all about the swing path. No IRON can MAKE you hit it straight. You still have to make the swing.

If you want to try out a blade you should pick up a used 6 or 7 iron and swap it with your current one. Game it for a couple rounds and see if your comfortable. I did this with a Miz MP-68 5 iron. Picked up an entire set (PW-3) after 5 rounds and haven't looked back. I found that I still shoot the same scores consistently and don't even have issues with the long irons. Just checked and Ebay has a Nike Forged 7 iron on bid right now. $15 with 8hrs left.

When the blades give you a better chance of scoring well that is when you should switch. For me they never would so I don't see me playing blades ever again.

When you are willing to have 2 or 3 mis-hits be horrid rather than somewhat ok during a round. Workability is affected by swing path and face angle, not whether the club has a cavity of MB. Many more pros hit cavity back irons rather than MB irons for a reason... here's the reason --> Why do you want to hit a club that will go further from the hole when struck poorly? They also make a living off playing a pretty hard game, which is why many of them don't make it harder on themselves.

Hitting a blade over a cavity back isn't going to cause you to stick the ball closer than you would with a cavity back. They will perform equally well when struck well; however, the MB will perform much more poorly than a CB when the strike isn't very good.

Playing blades isn't really about making a choice, it's about making a commitment IMO.

You're going to have to invest a ton of time into developing a repeatable swing and understanding how to play, and recover from your misses, there are alot of folks who say that you should never play blades, and if your swing looks like two drunks trying to #$%&, then I agree, stay with something more forgiving, but if you truly want to make that commitment then I say have at it and enjoy your quest, it's a worthy one. Do alot of research, talk to some players who play both and who have low handicaps, see why they play what they play, and relate to the reality, not the dream.

key point to take away - have your missed shots work to your advantage.

if you think you can do this with blades, go try out a set of blades. if you feel you can do this better with players cb or GI, then get those. Golf is pretty much subjective to feel and preferences by the player.

I opted to play with blades because that's what my dad had gave me when i was young. I'm used to seeing a small head with minimal offset when i address the ball. i've tried GI clubs in the past and I didn't really like the way they addressed the ball as they looked like hockey sticks to me. like i said above - feel and preferences is different for everyone.

i agree with Trout Bum when he said that "Playing blades isn't really about making a choice, it's about making a commitment IMO." if you're committed to recreating the perfect swing time and time again have have patience with yourself, go with blades.

Last edited:
What about the argument of consistent distances and smaller dispersion rate with blades as opposed to cavity backs?

It is legitimate. While blades do have their downside, distance control is a strong suit I've observed using them. Dispersion I can't speak to.

If they're forged, then they're softer and better than any cast cavity clubs. All serious golfers know that.

Im hoping your joking. Softness does not come from whether a club is cast or forged, it comes from the kind of metal that is used. Carbon steel clubs that are cast are just as soft as ones that are forged.

I peeked into this thread because I am switching to blades too. I'm switching because I like the way the clubs look and because I want them. I'm not worried if it's an equipment up or down grade.

I'm a league bowler, but when I started bowling, I used the plastic house balls. In high school, I bought a plastic bowling ball had it drilled or fitted to my hand. Started shooting in the 180's. Then for college, I bought a high tech $200+ reactive resin bowling ball, had it fitted and watched my scores drop to the 70's as I learned to throw a curve. Now my bowling bag has 3 bowling balls for various lane conditions and I can drop 230+ at the end of the night when there's five pitchers of beer on the table.

Maybe sometimes you have to get worse, before you can get better. Maybe technology can improve your game, maybe it's holding you back. Let's say that blades force you to get a repeatable golf swing. Wouldn't that make you better overall? Life's too short for the what if's and would've, could've, should've ... If having blades will make you happy, go for it. Surely you deserve happiness.

Not sure if MP-30s count as blades but I love them. I went with blades to make me a more consistent ball striker and so far 2.5 years (1 yr with these clubs) of playing and I feel like I can make consistent shots with them. I think I'm a more consistent player and feel confident with my clubs.

All that being said I did get a static fitting and had my swing measured by my local pro. I bought used clubs based on the measurements we figured out. Super happy I did this before blindly buying irons.

I think every person is different but no matter what clubs you get they should fit you.

I love this game!

Back