Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

New to the forum, but you guys did influence me to choose the VR Pro Combos but I was thinking I would post my thoughts about them and a little comparison to the AP 1s I'm coming from if that sounds like a good idea to everyone, I'm not an official tester thought so if everyone would rather not hear from me I understand that as well... But my clubs should be getting to me within a couple of days and I hope to take them to the course as often as possible for the rest of the summer.

Congrats on the purchase Kale!! Definitely post your thoughts on them!

New to the forum, but you guys did influence me to choose the VR Pro Combos but I was thinking I would post my thoughts about them and a little comparison to the AP 1s I'm coming from if that sounds like a good idea to everyone, I'm not an official tester thought so if everyone would rather not hear from me I understand that as well... But my clubs should be getting to me within a couple of days and I hope to take them to the course as often as possible for the rest of the summer.

Welcome to the forum Kale! You are just up the road from me - would enjoy hearing your thoughts on them as well.

I can't remember this about any of the testers. Did any of y'all game the Taylormade TP MCs before the Nike Combos? What are your thoughts about the two if so?

Tapatalkin

I can't help you there DMB. Sorry

Share away. The more the merrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's the weighting of the clubs feel to you Paulo? Light? Just right? I remember liking the weighting of these better than say the TM CB's

So I managed to play half a dozen holes and hit a few balls with the VR Pro Combos.

I played 2 balls, and for one of them I used the irons only. Mixed results as I was hitting my driver quite well!

I didn't strike the ball quite as well as I did last time out, so in a way this was a good thing as it taught me a little more about the irons.

Had a few hits towards the toe, and a couple of thins last night. The one thing that really struck me was the distance on mishits. The ones I pushed out to the right with a mishit were just about the same distance as I'd tried to hit it anyway, very little loss. With the fg59s, a similar hit would be 30 yards short and at least as wayward, if not more.

Initial feeling is that the pocket cavities seem more forgiving high on the face than lower. Thin hits don't seem to be taking to the air and travelling as much as slightly thick ones. This is something I hope to keep an eye on as I progress.

How's the weighting of the clubs feel to you Paulo? Light? Just right? I remember liking the weighting of these better than say the TM CB's

They feel noticeably lighter than the fg59s, but not in a bad way. They're very steady and balanced feeling, more like the Mizuno Pros I played before the fg59s. The shaft in the Nikes is lighter, and the club head doesn't feel heavy at all mated with this. Very happy on the feel of them throughout the swing so far. Lighter but balanced throughout.

Great updates Paulo. After resting my neck the past few days I hope to hit the range tonight

I have decided that I am regripping my irons. Yet to decide on the grip but I am going for a midsize grip this time

Options?

I have decided that I am regripping my irons. Yet to decide on the grip but I am going for a midsize grip this time

Options?

I went with Lamkin NDUR white and black when I had my Pro Combo's built. They look great and are really good in the heat and humidity. I had them put 4 wraps of tape under them to bring them up to mid-size.

Options?

Mike make sure that you can first. I know with certain tests OEM's want nothing changed on the equipment

Mike make sure that you can first. I know with certain tests OEM's want nothing changed on the equipment

These are my own irons, I bought them myself. Nike can't stop me - hehe

I have an appointment to get my fiitting checked out in the next few weeks so will probably wait till then and see what is available

Just back home from a range session. After playing (if you can call it that) on Monday, I just wanted to work on solid contact and see why I was pulling it left.

Started the session with a 9 iron to a flag that was 117 out into about a 10-15 MPH wind. As usual with the blades, just very consistent, great accuracy and dropping balls all around the flag. I still can't get over how easy the blades are to hit as it is definitely a misconception that blades are always harder to hit. Perhaps with 3-6 irons that is the case, but not 8-PW.

Moved onto the 6 iron and had a decent session. Hit a few thin but was still very happy with the distance and line they traveled - just saw a lower trajectory.

I then went to the 3 iron and it was ok...not great; but not terrible. Out of probably 20 shots, I hit 7 or 8 really well. On the others, I was hitting the center of the clubface but still not catching the ball flush and I was definitely paying for it with about a 40 yard distance loss. I think Canadan may have mentioned an issue similar to this that he was experiencing. Well struck shots are great but not a ton of room for error. The mishits definitely feel different than the other portions of the set with a feeling of being a bit more harsh through impact. I could see some of the shots I hit today hurting a bit more when it is cold out. My love affair with the 3 iron is hot & cold - LOVE it off the tee just wish I could find the sweetspot off the deck with it as I like the trajectory when hit well.

I ended my iron portion of the session with the PW and a target about 75 yards out. This is where this club has really been shining for me. I get within 80 yards and this thing really is throwing darts. At least once a round I have had a shot between 50-75 yards and I stick it to 2 feet. You can really play with the trajectory in that range and that is what I was doing tonight - just playing some floaters and then some bump & runs.

About it for now unless you want to hear about my driver woes...got one for sale! :D

Planning to head back out for another 18 tomorrow after work to get some more on course feedback!!

I do not normally play on Wednesday, but my In-service for today was canceled last night so I decided to go for it. With the temperature expected to reach 94, with 90+ humidity, I hit the course early. This would be only my second round with the new Driver, but I was sure that the Nike VR Pro Combo irons would allow me to play with confidence.:cool:

The round went very well. In fact, it was one of my best rounds this year. I did hit a few errant tee shots, but the mid irons and the scoring irons made up for the small mistakes off the tee. :clapp:

One of my best shots today came from the 3 iron believe it or not. A par 5 dogleg right. Tee shot went 219 which left me short of the turn and 316 from the hole. I went for a fade around a quite large Hickory on the point. Made beautiful contact with the 3 and launched an incredible left to right arc that landed , rolled out and left me 123 from the hole.:beauty: GPS said it was 171 yd shot but that is a straight line. I bet that ball went 225 total. I was thrilled. 3/4 PW to 9’ and birdied.

The remainder of the round went almost as good. Shot a 79 with 13 GIR. I was able to move the ball when I needed to, and the drop and stop from the 9 and PW was spot on. I still am not able to get quite the same spin with the 8i and I am becoming increasingly curious about that.:confused2: I am considering taking the irons in and having them checked for setup. Normally I would have done that as soon as I got them, but I did want to see how they performed “out of the box” so to speak.

My fear and trepidation with the pocket cavs is pretty much over, but I have put a lot into making them work. I focus more with those two irons than any of the others and it is really paying off.
Will head back out Thursday morning but I may not play a full 18 as I was close to exhausted today because of the heat and humidity.:at-wits-end:

Nice updates guys. Sounds like everyone is loving the feel of the blades in particular. They are some sweet irons for sure, but I just need to get my distances really dialled in with them at the moment. Feel like once I've had some decent practice sessions, I could really control these things!

My wondering is on the 3/4 shots though. I wonder if I'll be able to play them just as controlled as before, with the lower weight of these irons, or will I be trying to 'force' it too much? That's something I'll need to look out for.

Lol sorry Mike. Well I got to the range last night for just a small bucket. My neck is killing me but I needed to hit some balls after the struggles last time I hit them. Started with some 3/4 wedges and moved up and down the set.

Immediately I was struggling making good contact with the full swing. Took 4 shots with the PW and 2 of them were shanks. Dropped down to the 9I and shanked the first one of those. Took a deep breath and a little break. Grabbed my LW and started some 9 to 3 shots and I started making center contact. Moved back to the 9I and put my first shot onto the green. The rest of my range session was pretty good.

3-4I--Struggled off the deck with these irons. Hit weak fades with the 3I. I feel like I'm not completing my swing right now so that could be causing the fade. By the end of the session I was hitting nice stinger 3I shots off the tee. I think my next round will have this shot off the tee box instead of the Mashie.

5-7-- Hit these irons very well. A few duffs early on with the 5I but by the end I was hitting nice straight shots with each of them. The 7I was really nice. Ended the session with a couple of knock down 7's and they all went exactly where I wanted them to go. Man I really like the Split Cavs in this set. A bit more forgiveness and yet I don't feel any difference between the Split Cavs and the Blades when hit nicely.

8-PW--Struggled early with these. Once I took the break and worked out the kinks with the 9 to 3 drill, these irons were money again. These irons are very accurate. I have a ton of confidence right now that I will be getting the ball close if I am hitting the blades into the green. 9I right now is my favorite club in the set. I hit it a lot because there is a green at the range that is exactly a 3/4 9I away. I have become ridiculously confident in this iron.

8 iron blade sweetness anyone?

Giddy Paulo - love it!

very nice Paulo,

is that a range you are at? would like to practice off grass a bit more often

very nice Paulo,

is that a range you are at? would like to practice off grass a bit more often

That's the lower practice area at Balmore. We've got some good practice ground, should come up sometime!

I have been following the thread and that last video made me wish I had a set, better wait for my Handicap to drop before I play around with blades, sounds sweet!

I have been following the thread and that last video made me wish I had a set, better wait for my Handicap to drop before I play around with blades, sounds sweet!

I understand the apprehension and had the same initial thoughts but I urge you to get on a range and try them if you can. I think you will be VERY surprised how easy the blades are to hit.

I understand the apprehension and had the same initial thoughts but I urge you to get on a range and try them if you can. I think you will be VERY surprised how easy the blades are to hit.

I agree 100%. That and the fact that this is a "combo" set. It is designed to help the mid HC'S I believe as there is a method to the composition of this set. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at the way the actual "blades" play.

Mine just arrived from Nike today. The new grips are drying tonight, change the lie angle tomorrow and we're good to go for some Saturday golf woot woot. Also way to go Nike for getting the custom order to me in half the time. Also for having all the iron shafts out flex out perfectly.

Here's the 6 iron. Tried to take a vid of all 3 kinds of club to compare. Watching them over, I really do like the sound these clubs make at impact. I hit this one as nice as ever :wink:

Thanks for that, paulo! Sorry I haven't commented yet. I can't see the ytube vids during the day.

It seemed like the blade sounded a little different on video? Do you agree or am I just imagining it?

Back