Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I have a random question here that somewhat relates to the mashie. Does anyone feel like the lightweight shaft causes some ballooning? I took the M4 out yesterday just to see if my thoughts had changed, and although I hit some pretty decent looking shots, the distance just wasn't there. We have a 195 yard par 3 at my home course that is relatively straight with bunker left. I normally hit 4 iron and am right around the green distance wise. I tried the M4 yesterday and although I made great contact and the shot looked nice, the ball ended up about 10 yards short. The trajectory was also extremely high. I know it's not normal to find that well struck iron shots go farther than comparable hybrid shots, but I think I am finding that maybe the mashie doesn't fit my swing profile.

I have a random question here that somewhat relates to the mashie. Does anyone feel like the lightweight shaft causes some ballooning? I took the M4 out yesterday just to see if my thoughts had changed, and although I hit some pretty decent looking shots, the distance just wasn't there. We have a 195 yard par 3 at my home course that is relatively straight with bunker left. I normally hit 4 iron and am right around the green distance wise. I tried the M4 yesterday and although I made great contact and the shot looked nice, the ball ended up about 10 yards short. The trajectory was also extremely high. I know it's not normal to find that well struck iron shots go farther than comparable hybrid shots, but I think I am finding that maybe the mashie doesn't fit my swing profile.

I have no problem with ballooning the ball because of the light shaft, but if I am, because of wind or something, I just move my ball position back a touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check your ball position....if it creeps up in your stance that's when the balloons start to come into play. middle or 1 ball ahead of middle seems to work best for the M4

check your ball position....if it creeps up in your stance that's when the balloons start to come into play. middle or 1 ball ahead of middle seems to work best for the M4

I may have to do that. I played it more towards front as I would a long iron. I was hoping to see 205-215 or so out of the M4.

I may have to do that. I played it more towards front as I would a long iron. I was hoping to see 205-215 or so out of the M4.

I play them as I would a 3iron, I do not have the M4 but would play that the same I would a 4 iron. But it may not work that way for some. I do swing the Mashie the same as an iron, same setup and everything. Its a great club but just like all the clubs out there, it wont fit everyone.

This is already in the Deal of the Day thread but it is too good of a deal:

Golfsmith.com

Buy a Cleveland Mashie Hybrid for $149.99 or two for $199.99. Choose your Cleveland Mashie Hybrid (CL5821) or your Cleveland Lady Mashie Hybrid (CL5827) and see the $149.99 price already discounted. Add two Mashie Hybrids to your cart and see the 2 for $199.99 (a $100 savings) automatically applied at checkout.

You can use the web10tech code too for free shipping..

This is already in the Deal of the Day thread but it is too good of a deal:

Golfsmith.com

Buy a Cleveland Mashie Hybrid for $149.99 or two for $199.99. Choose your Cleveland Mashie Hybrid (CL5821) or your Cleveland Lady Mashie Hybrid (CL5827) and see the $149.99 price already discounted. Add two Mashie Hybrids to your cart and see the 2 for $199.99 (a $100 savings) automatically applied at checkout.

You can use the web10tech code too for free shipping..

That is a very tempting deal...

I hit a 23* and 20.5* in a sim at Edwin Watts today. I really liked the feel and balance. I didn't think I'd like the light shaft as much, but it didn't bother me at all. I normally hit my 22* Rescue Mid around 185 and the sim was getting 190ish out of the 23* and around 200 from the 20.5*. And they weren't hooking in the sim, just a nice draw or dead straight. I'm going to try to get a demo for a round tomorrow and see what happens outside in the real world.

That is a very solid deal. My Mashie combo is awesome. I have the M1 and M3 that I have complete confidence in. I don't I have had a bad hit with them for while.

I changed the grip on my mashies to the Golf Pride NDMC this week. Fits more like a midsize on the mashies which was perfect to help me dial these in and help prevent my draw from becoming a hook. Played 18 yesterday and had a case of the yips with the driver. Used the M3 from the tee box the back 9 and did not miss a fairway. This did create some longer than normal 2nd shots for me but it didn't cause any issues because I have a...........M3. My best to shots of the day were 200 yards approach shots with the M3. The first one was to an elevated green and was a blind shot. With a little help from my Vision x3 UV seeming the correcting the flight in mid air (more on that to come in the Vision ball testing thread), I landed the ball with in three feet for an easy birdie putt. The second was a fairly open shot but with a protected green that required a draw to avoid some bunkers. Again just an easy swing for a for exactly the shot I needed.

I understand the mashie gets a lot of love around here. I did not want to like this club. I am not a fan of the looks but I don't think these will leave the bag for quite some time.

Last edited:
Went ahead and jumped on that golfsmith deal since Cleveland was having a demo day at the Austin one. Hit them and fell in love. Can't wait to take them to the range tomorrow.

You guys recommended a stiff shaft for me earlier in the thread... SS 90-95 . I'm worried though because everyone mentions that you need to swing easy with the Mashie or it will produce a hook. I swung both and they felt pretty similiar to me... hit straight shots with both and hooks with both. You still think stiff is the way to go even considering the easier swing that's required?

You guys recommended a stiff shaft for me earlier in the thread... SS 90-95 . I'm worried though because everyone mentions that you need to swing easy with the Mashie or it will produce a hook. I swung both and they felt pretty similiar to me... hit straight shots with both and hooks with both. You still think stiff is the way to go even considering the easier swing that's required?

Yes, I would go stiff but thats me. Its your call, Off the tee I tend to give it a little more and all my clubs have a stiff shaft so I bought the stiff Mashies.

They set up really nice, feel great, but i hit sky balls with the demo i tried. I wish more places had the heavier shaft model available.

Can you demo both? see which one suits you the best

Can you demo both? see which one suits you the best

I did hit both actually... they kinda felt the same to me... great. I hit some straight shots with both and some hooks. It's just odd because sooo many people have them on this site that have high SS. Getting a stiff shaft seems to contradict the theory that you need to slow down your swing for this club to be straight. I'm torn :(

I used to use a R flex in mine. All my clubs are R flex now after being fit. My SS was in the high 80's if I remember correctly.

I would go with the one that felt the best to you

well ive just ordered a M4 will be here tomorrow so hoping to get it out for a try,if any good then will buy the M2 aswell cheers for all the advice and help

I had a great front round yesterday and came to the #10 hole. It's a lay up hole for me as there is a creek that runs across it and it's too risky to hit my driver. I hit my Mashie M5 and hooked it left out of bounds and ended up with a triple. This is about the 3rd time I've done that on that hole. I remembered what Hawk said about proper setup with this club using the little lines on the grip. The next tee shot was perfectly straight and down the middle. Just a tidbit for those of you who are just getting your Mashie. This seems to be a problem for a lot of folks. It's still my favorite club but I do need to spend more time making sure my clubface is proper on setup.

I had a great front round yesterday and came to the #10 hole. It's a lay up hole for me as there is a creek that runs across it and it's too risky to hit my driver. I hit my Mashie M5 and hooked it left out of bounds and ended up with a triple. This is about the 3rd time I've done that on that hole. I remembered what Hawk said about proper setup with this club using the little lines on the grip. The next tee shot was perfectly straight and down the middle. Just a tidbit for those of you who are just getting your Mashie. This seems to be a problem for a lot of folks. It's still my favorite club but I do need to spend more time making sure my clubface is proper on setup.

Can you repeat this tip? What's the secret? I noticed that it appears closed at address. I just try to open the club face a fraction.

Can you repeat this tip? What's the secret? I noticed that it appears closed at address. I just try to open the club face a fraction.

There are two small lines on the grip that help you line up the club face. One is at the top of the grip and the other is at the bottom. I tend to close the club face a little too much at times which always results in a shot to the left.

Hit a 220yrd perfect draw on the green yesterday with my M2, next shot with it was a snap hook left that fortunately stopped going OB due to the wet grass. Great club but when it goes wrong it can go badly wrong

Hit a 220yrd perfect draw on the green yesterday with my M2, next shot with it was a snap hook left that fortunately stopped going OB due to the wet grass. Great club but when it goes wrong it can go badly wrong

I have the same problem :angry:

Ohh Mashie how I miss you at times...

Anyone thats snap hooking these as their miss, do you have any issues with tempo and getting handsy at impact?

Anyone thats snap hooking these as their miss, do you have any issues with tempo and getting handsy at impact?

I'm sure mine is a tempo issue, I get lazy at address and miss out part of my cockpit drill.......I was very hungover in my defence

Exactly my isue when I start to miss with this club....

Back