Should sim golf be more expensive on the weekend?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know why this has always been the norm as courses routinely charge upwards of $20 or more to play on Saturday/Sunday but it particularly bugged me when looking for a sim place to play last weekend. The same place that is only $40/hr Mon-Thursday before 5pm goes to $60/70 per hour just because its Friday-Sun. Why?

Capitalism?

Basic supply and demand. There are only so many tee times so the supply is limited.
Much more demand on weekends.

I like to play when the course isn't busy,
I'll play golf when it is brutally cold or too hot for most golfers!
During the summer I've gotten waved through as a single while other golfers take a needed rest break.

Supply and demand. If they can get a full booking with higher rates because more people are able to play then they are doing nothing wrong. As a consumer I don't like it but my only other option is to play at times where it is cheaper.

• Admin
Supply and demand. If they can get a full booking with higher rates because more people are able to play then they are doing nothing wrong. As a consumer I don't like it but my only other option is to play at times where it is cheaper.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it, businesses are entitled to make money. I guess the day of the week bothers me more than the time of day rate increase. When checking the "tee sheet" on early weekend mornings at these sim places its usually wide open but yet they want me to pay $30 more per hour just because its Saturday or Sunday.

More people for less spots, makes sense for the price to go up on the weekends imo.

Absolutely. Anything in demand should be more expensive. It is the way.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it, businesses are entitled to make money. I guess the day of the week bothers me more than the time of day rate increase. When checking the "tee sheet" on early weekend mornings at these sim places its usually wide open but yet they want me to pay $30 more per hour just because its Saturday or Sunday.

If people don't go on weekend mornings---eventually the price should come down. And maybe you only see the higher prices for weekend afternoons etc.

• Admin
More people for less spots, makes sense for the price to go up on the weekends imo.

Absolutely. Anything in demand should be more expensive. It is the way.
Outdoor golf I agree, more people higher demand, pay your fare. I get it. In the case of sim golf however these places are dead in the mornings.

We had an interesting discussion on this around the holidays. Also started because of SIM golf rates. One of the best arguments I heard was that it's basically entertainment and entertainment costs more on weekends and prime hours. There were lots of terrible analogies throughout the whole thing but some made sense with that. From matinees and drink specials during the week to cover charges and higher priced shows on the weekend. So yeah basic supply and demand, but the guy making the entertainment argument about it had me nodding quite a bit.

Still sucks in ways though.

Outdoor golf I agree, more people higher demand, pay your fare. I get it. In the case of sim golf however these places are dead in the mornings.
The weekend morning rate being high just feels lazy. Convenient. Easiest way to handle pay software and advertising without having to use a brain type lazy.

Do you know the guy who runs it? Maybe make a comment that it's so dead in the morning why do they charge higher prices than during the week? You'd be more likely to go at the lower prices.

And then, if he lowers the prices and sees increased business---Sue the pants off him for using your IP without your consent and run him out of business.

Yes. It helps with supply and demand and keeps the courses cheaper/open during the week?
Like a restaurant that is Packed on weekends has happy hours annd specials early in the week. It’s a small operating profit, but the real money is made on weekends.

I understand why it makes sense that weekend SIM rates cost more than weekday rates as you have the potential for more demand.

If that demand isn't realized it does seem like making early weekend rates cheaper than late weekend rates may be beneficial for the SIM place but would need more data.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it, businesses are entitled to make money. I guess the day of the week bothers me more than the time of day rate increase. When checking the "tee sheet" on early weekend mornings at these sim places it’s usually wide open but yet they want me to pay $30 more per hour just because it’s Saturday or Sunday.
Maybe see if you can haggle on a time they won’t likely fill? If they have a 9:00 time unfilled call at 8:30 and tell them you’ll take it for $20/off? Better to make less money than no money at all.

If they are wide open they might bite.

Isn't this dynamic pricing? More people are off on Weekends and this available to golf. Perhaps the price is a barrier to weekend sim and helps push people to fill during the week when it's cheaper so it's working in multiple directions.

It's really on the business to see if they are maximizing play at these places. In my opinion the weekend price hole and open bays would be a bad result because most are attached to restaurants and bars and if I can get people in they are likely going to make high margin purchases within the building.

Yes. It helps with supply and demand and keeps the courses cheaper/open during the week?
Like a restaurant that is Packed on weekends has happy hours annd specials early in the week. It’s a small operating profit, but the real money is made on weekends.
But are they really making money at 9am on the weekend if nobody is there? Why even open early if thats the case.

Yes.
If something is more expensive due to time demands, then I would think this would be the same thing.

Only if your sheet is filled. If you’ve got a bunch of open times you’re probably overpricing.

Yes, unfortunately, prime time rates are real in just about anything in this day and age.

it’s nothing crazy here. $50 on the weekend is pretty standard. A few places keep it $50 regardless of the day and a few drop to $40 during the week

Yes, unfortunately, prime time rates are real in just about anything in this day and age.
Yes I'm aware. I guess it just bothers me because between 9am-noon I could play at any one of the 3 sim places within 5 miles of me on any give Sat/Sun, don't even need a reservation just walk right in because they are all empty. However to pay $70/hour is just crazy talk....if the place was packed and busy I get it but none of them are. Either boost your prices at noon or don't open until then.

Yes I'm aware. I guess it just bothers me because between 9am-noon I could play at any one of the 3 sim places within 5 miles of me on any give Sat/Sun, don't even need a reservation just walk right in because they are all empty. However to pay $70/hour is just crazy talk....if the place was packed and busy I get it but none of them are. Either boost your prices at noon or don't open until then.
Well that is just maddening then. If it's empty, I dont see how they can justify the price hike.

But are they really making money at 9am on the weekend if nobody is there? Why even open early if thats the case.
That’s true. But as mentioned they are probably pricing too high if the sheets aren’t filled at that hour. That should be peak time

Back