Boycotting USGA and GHIN

Cruskater

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA Sucks
Thought this could spark some interesting discussion, perhaps @Jman, who I believe is a USGA loyalist would have some thoughts. After the college football season and salivating for golf season to come back to New England, I'm back and posting more here on THP.

Some guys from our local golf course were talking (after the announced golf ball rollback) about boycotting the USGA by not getting handicaps this year. Our course is not one that you can get a handicap from so everyone either signs up from nearby courses we do play somewhat frequently or we do a digital version. They thought that, combined with the rollback, was enough! I realize for some who play in tournaments this is not an option.

The men's league proposed using simply league scores rather than any handicap and apparently they only have two flights anyway: under 55 and over 55. I brought up that it could potentially hurt our local state golf association and the many programs they run (especially for the youth), but if enough people got on board it could seriously hamper the USGA.

What say all of you?

I won’t be paying to have an ‘official’ handicap. I’ll just use Grint for the approximation.

we technically don’t have to abide by it.
Assuming you will be able to buy non conforming balls, or that you hoard them leading up.

won't accomplish anything on such a small scale

GHIN is included with my membership in the Mississippi Golf Association. My dues are $40 and I'm happy to pay and help with the MGA's junior golf programs.

GHIN is included with my membership in the Mississippi Golf Association. My dues are $40 and I'm happy to pay and help with the MGA's junior golf programs.
This. I know in Florida the money goes the FSGA and funds the Florida Junior Tour.

I'm happy to send my $40, and usually donate extra.

I'd love to boycott GHIN (and the USGA), but then I'd miss out on any tournament play like my member/member and member/guest.

So really, it hurts me more than it hurts those pleat wearing dingleberries.

pleat wearing dingleberries.
Happy Gilmore Win GIF

I am playing in multiple tournaments that require a ghin so I have to maintain my cap.

I need a GHIN cap to play in certain tournaments and have no problem paying the relatively small amount to maintain it.

AZTHP membership requires two things: THP Albatross Club membership and GHIN membership (GHIN is included with the membership). I'll keep it just so I can stay with AZTHP.

I considered this just the other day when I received info on renewing my USGA subscription. I haven't done it yet, so I probably won't after seeing this. :ROFLMAO: My league just uses a scoring system & it's based on your round scores anyway. And my tournament playing days are over.

Same for me in Nebraska!

I stopped being a USGA member when they instituted the groove rule. That's was my "boycott". Our state golf association is tied to the USGA and there isn't much I can do about that.

I boycotted after the flag rule which was reinforced by that b*tch move from Mike Whan to remove Gooch who already qualified for the U.S. Open.

I would be willing to bet the ball rollback doesn't end up being instituted. The PGA a couple of other testing and data organizations have already shown that what they are trying to do won't actually come about from this proposed rule. The only people it will actually effect are the 99.9% of golfers whom this rule isn't targeting.

We all like to think we are important but we are really nothing more than a pimple on the ass of the USGA.

Don’t bite off your nose to spite your face.

I'm not sure if this Boycott accomplishes what you are looking to do?

AZTHP membership requires two things: THP Albatross Club membership and GHIN membership (GHIN is included with the membership). I'll keep it just so I can stay with AZTHP.
This my response exactly.........

I’ve seen the posts from a lot of you… some of you fellas are JUST FINE.
Yes, but you don’t know how quickly I can burn through a ball stockpile 😒

Back