The new Samsung LED TVs have an amazing picture. Family chipped in on one for my father last Christmas. No doubt this will be my next TV purchase.

I dont believe you have to spend money on calibrating. It can all be found online and is easy to do. Now my LG tv has so many settings I would have never been able to do the expert stuff without finding help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I dont believe you have to spend money on calibrating. It can all be found online and is easy to do. Now my LG tv has so many settings I would have never been able to do the expert stuff without finding help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

We have an LG, Samsung, Panny Plasma, Toshiba, Vizio all flatscreens and a benq projector.
I did this for all of mine after having the panny professionally done. I cant tell the difference.

We have an LG, Samsung, Panny Plasma, Toshiba, Vizio all flatscreens and a benq projector.
I did this for all of mine after having the panny professionally done. I cant tell the difference.

Then you sir, are not a serious videophile. :alien:

Spank should be in here in 3....2....1 telling us how awesome plasma is and if not a "Panny" plasma then the only choice is Samsung. Typical for TP supporters.

Personally Samsung's are the best quality. As a younger adult i just purchased a 55inch vizio Led 240hz 1080p built in wifi and widgets, I looked at the Samsung and have owned Samsung in the pas and Vizio's are most definitely the best bang for your buck TV

+1 on calibration. I thought I put my settings to where my picture looked pretty good. AFter calibrating it, I learned that I sucked at guessing!

Hopefully Spank will chime in here, he knows his stuff when it comes to TV's.

Thanks Smalls, I try my best.

Spank should be in here in 3....2....1 telling us how awesome plasma is and if not a "Panny" plasma then the only choice is Samsung. Typical for TP supporters.

Oh how narrow a focus such boys have when it comes to their toys. Silly boy and your brand loyalties. Typical TH thinking.

Icey, I have some questions...

1) How much are you planning to use this TV? Is it a main tv, etc?
2) How important are dimensions to you (specifically depth)? Are you mounting it? How about energy consumption?
3) What are you plugging into this thing? It'd be a shame to spend top dollar on this tv if all you're gonna be plugging into it is a dvd and a Wii. What type of stuff do you like to watch on it?

As my much misinformed cohort above is completely incorrect, I like to match tv's to whatever the consumer's likes and dislikes and tv habits are. There is no one best tv type or brand out there (like in golf) there's just different ones to match the consumer to their tv habits. For me to recommend a brand/tv model would be as inappropriate as recommending a make/model driver off of a posted swing speed. Call this a basic fitting.

I also do recommend some sort of calibration as it does improve picture quality. If you're not a "videophile" then there are discs available to help with that that are cost friendly. No need to get a professional calibration unless you're really into that stuff (it costs a lot and the gains are minimal to the point where some consumers won't even notice it). I'd rather you spend that money and get a good power unit that will filter some of the annoying little power spikes that will slowly degrade your tv and your whole system over time.

It does help to look into those forums some have posted above to see what the going ons are for the tv's you're about to research. They pretty much post every tendency that a make/model has and that is good to know for future reference. What I like to look for are major recalls, some even have class action lawsuits, and little nuisances (like the ease of changing a bulb or how many hours x something lasts).

Let me know if there's anything else you have any questions on as I'll be glad to help. Just as a sidenote I am not the authority on all things tv related. I used to work in the industry and know some things (nothing overly technical) that most consumers are avert to. At the end of the day it is your money that you are spending and whatever decision you come up with is the best. Good luck and have fun!

Icey, I have some questions...

1) How much are you planning to use this TV? Is it a main tv, etc?
2) How important are dimensions to you (specifically depth)? Are you mounting it? How about energy consumption?
3) What are you plugging into this thing? It'd be a shame to spend top dollar on this tv if all you're gonna be plugging into it is a dvd and a Wii. What type of stuff do you like to watch on it?

1 - It is my main TV, it's in the basement, not a ton of light, but some.
2 - Size isn't a problem, I have two TV stand options I'll choose between. I'm not mounting it, and I don't know for sure what to say on the energy consumption, I've never thought about that.
3 - Connected is a Blu-ray player, DVR, Wii and then there's a sony surround sound system connected.

Thanks for the help. I'm not tied into the Samsung or LG, just some the brands I'm more familiar with and have seen in person. If it helps I'm headed to a place called Nebraska Furniture Mart, http://nfm.com/default.aspx?N=2714 They don't always list all TVs available online but I figured it might help. Thanks again.

Another aside.

If you have an Amex, check that it has these benefits (most do, but just make sure) and put it on the card:

Extended Warranty (extends manufacturer's warranty for up to 1 additional year)
Purchase Protection (if ninja's attack your house and kick in your TV)
Return Protection (in case you decide to return it or what not and are charged restocking Amex will reimburse you)

https://www212.americanexpress.com/...toid=d13cbc0508bdf210VgnVCM40000037b3ad94RCRD

Happy TV shopping!

1 - It is my main TV, it's in the basement, not a ton of light, but some.
2 - Size isn't a problem, I have two TV stand options I'll choose between. I'm not mounting it, and I don't know for sure what to say on the energy consumption, I've never thought about that.
3 - Connected is a Blu-ray player, DVR, Wii and then there's a sony surround sound system connected.

Thanks for the help. I'm not tied into the Samsung or LG, just some the brands I'm more familiar with and have seen in person. If it helps I'm headed to a place called Nebraska Furniture Mart, http://nfm.com/default.aspx?N=2714 They don't always list all TVs available online but I figured it might help. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link. I have a couple more questions for you and sorry for the inquisition but it's normally how I figure out what tv will work for you. You forgot to answer my last question "What type of stuff do you watch on it?" What kind of budget are you looking at? (if you want to keep that last one private just PM it to me) Are you locked into buying from this place or could you buy from another retailer?

Something to chew on... energy consumption on all three types that you're looking at are different being that plasma consumes the most, then LCD, then LED. Not a huge significance initially but in the long term it will come into play (over time tv's tend to consume more energy the older it gets especially the plasma). If you're one of those "I tend to get rid my main tv every 3-5 years" type consumer it won't matter. If you're one of those "I'm gonna run my tv into the ground before I buy a new set" type consumer then it will come into play. We all strive to be the latter but end up being more like the former.

Spank, Sorry for the omission, this TV is my primary and will have a wide range of stuff viewed, primarily TV shows and sitcom type shows. But then again sports is a huge part of what I watch, especially on the weekends! I'm one who runs my TVs into the ground and then once they die I get a new one. As far as budget I don't know for sure exactly, but based on the replacement TV they offered to send me I'd say the credit I'll get will be around $1,000, but I'm certainly willing to add some in if it get's us a better TV. We do have to get the TV from that store as it's store credit. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the link. I have a couple more questions for you and sorry for the inquisition but it's normally how I figure out what tv will work for you. You forgot to answer my last question "What type of stuff do you watch on it?" What kind of budget are you looking at? (if you want to keep that last one private just PM it to me) Are you locked into buying from this place or could you buy from another retailer?

Something to chew on... energy consumption on all three types that you're looking at are different being that plasma consumes the most, then LCD, then LED. Not a huge significance initially but in the long term it will come into play (over time tv's tend to consume more energy the older it gets especially the plasma). If you're one of those "I tend to get rid my main tv every 3-5 years" type consumer it won't matter. If you're one of those "I'm gonna run my tv into the ground before I buy a new set" type consumer then it will come into play. We all strive to be the latter but end up being more like the former.

+1 for Samsung LED's. Best places to buy would be either a local electronics joint as opposed to places like Costco b/c they have different model numbers than the "regular" TV's (Fry's has awesome deals from time to time @ B&M)

Also if you wanna get really geeky w/ calibration, etc...

check out www.avforums.com

It made a huge difference AFTER calibration to when it was just fresh out of the box!

I was at futureshop the other day looking at TVs, and they had a 'calibrated' one and a 'non-calibrated' one next to each other, and I honestly preferred the 'non-calibrated' one. They were showing scenery of a glacier, and the 'calibrated' one was all washed out and ugly compared to the nicer deeper blues of the 'non-calibrated' one.

Also, based on my hour or so staring at TVs at Futureshop and Bestbuy, the Samsung LED tvs are my choice.
I saw one older Series 7 46" Samsung 240hz TV and the best analogy I can think of for its picture quality compared to the other LGs and what not beside it was staring at a fast moving river that is constantly flowing, versus a slide projector. It was almost too good.

Spank, Sorry for the omission, this TV is my primary and will have a wide range of stuff viewed, primarily TV shows and sitcom type shows. But then again sports is a huge part of what I watch, especially on the weekends! I'm one who runs my TVs into the ground and then once they die I get a new one. As far as budget I don't know for sure exactly, but based on the replacement TV they offered to send me I'd say the credit I'll get will be around $1,000, but I'm certainly willing to add some in if it get's us a better TV. We do have to get the TV from that store as it's store credit. Thanks for the help.

Thanks, Icey. I have three meetings to attend tonight so I'll narrow down some choices for you off the site when I get back (if I don't pass out right away). I'm leaning towards one tech more than the others (LED) just because I think it'll save you money in the long run. I'll be more detailed as to why on my later posts.

Awesome, thanks Spank I can't wait to hear what your recommendations are!
Thanks, Icey. I have three meetings to attend tonight so I'll narrow down some choices for you off the site when I get back (if I don't pass out right away). I'm leaning towards one tech more than the others (LED) just because I think it'll save you money in the long run. I'll be more detailed as to why on my later posts.

This is my last plea for advise, I'm off to the TV store tomorrow morning. I can't wait to look at all these TVs at once knowing one of them get's to come home with me!

Ok Icey, looking at your options, take a look at these tv's. I was looking at the 55" range. Any of the good ones from this store will run you at least $1500. Go with the LED's since they'll save you some money on energy consumption in the long run as well as give you better PQ. For PQ here's a couple of things to look for... I don't know how this store is setup but try to look at these tv's in a somewhat similar light as you would have at home (pretty much impossible in a big box store but I know some of these stores have an HT area where you can find a tv with the same specs in better lighting), look at how deep the blacks are on the picture (not a blank screen) and the whites (look for shadows). The deeper the black the better (completely subjective here so that's all up to you). On faster moving pics look for what they call "screen door effect" it's a common flaw in LCD's and LED's (google it so you can see some examples and the definition of it). The lesser the better and more liveable.

On LED's back lit ones rank better than edge lit ones. I also prefer the back lit ones as well but they are a touch more expensive. Here's the tv's I was looking at for you...

Samsung UN55D6000, LG 55LV5500, Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720

The Sony always has been more expensive because it says "Sony" on it but in this case it is the only backlit set of the group. Sammy and LG also have TV's in that same price point as the Sony but with features you really don't need (3D on the LG and much better internet capability on the Sammie). It's up to you to see the difference in the sets when it comes to picture and decide if it's worth it or not. I recommended the EX720 over the EX620 because for an extra $80 on their pricing it was worth it to go to the higher model.

I don't know what kind of pricing policy this store has but if they're legit they will price match competitors prices so do some shopping and make sure you bring proof. Even look at online retailers and don't forget to factor in tax and shipping (most B&M's will match to a larger site like best buy, target, wal-mart, etc and not Bob's TV's and Stuff.com I'm sure you get the drift).

Hopefully this helps and if you have any questions PM me so I can answer them quickly (since you're heading in tomorrow and I will not be on a computer for long durations for the next couple of days). Buying a TV is like buying a car in some aspects. Sales folks prey on the fact that you need a TV asap and they'll use that to they're advantage when they're price negotiating. Don't be afraid to walk away or speak to a manager. Have fun and enjoy the process!

I have the 65" DLP Mitsubishi you mentioned along with a 42" Vizio Plasma, 42" Vizio LCD, & 32" Samsung LED. I actually had all our tvs side by side for the Super Bowl and got to really compare them. For the size and value the 65" DLP makes a great picture but make sure it is a minimum of 120 hz or sports will produce a drag. For quality, side by side the plasma had the best picture but the LED was a very close second and is much thinner. The LED is also internet ready, however it was a few hundred more than our plasma which is 10" bigger. LCD shouldn't even be in this conversation. We use that in the play room for the boys video games as Plasma will leave a burn in image on most things that sit on the same menue for a long time. I love buying tvs, reading up on them, and really trying to hunt down the best deal. Good luck, have fun with it, and I hope you get the best tv out there at a great deal!

Well long story short, I got a call from the warranty people while I was looking at TVs and they told me I'd be getting a larger credit than I had expected. I went with a Panasonic Plasma 55", and once I got it home, I had to make two trips as I brought the wrong car, box didn't fit, the TV is amazing. I love the picture and can't wait to get it calibrated and ready for football season. Thank you for all your help. It was fun to look at all the different models. I think this new one will be a great addition, the golf tournament this weekend looked excellent on it!

Well long story short, I got a call from the warranty people while I was looking at TVs and they told me I'd be getting a larger credit than I had expected. I went with a Panasonic Plasma 55", and once I got it home, I had to make two trips as I brought the wrong car, box didn't fit, the TV is amazing. I love the picture and can't wait to get it calibrated and ready for football season. Thank you for all your help. It was fun to look at all the different models. I think this new one will be a great addition, the golf tournament this weekend looked excellent on it!

This thread is useless w/o pics! J/K!

Congrats on the new purchase IceyShanks!

Nice. Always a good surprise when you get more play money. Panny plasmas are real good if not the best that are out there. Enjoy it.

This thread is useless w/o pics! J/K!

Congrats on the new purchase IceyShanks!

Once I get home tonight hopefully I remember to take a pic, but here's the stock photo!
220137361.jpg

Nice. Always a good surprise when you get more play money. Panny plasmas are real good if not the best that are out there. Enjoy it.

Thank you for all your help, it helps to go into a buying decision with previous information rather than just blind!

So I ended up with a Panny Plasma, now I'm having a problem with this auto dim feature and can't seem to get it calibrated/turned off/or just plain working. Anyone have any experience with Panny Plasmas and their auto dim feature?

So I ended up with a Panny Plasma, now I'm having a problem with this auto dim feature and can't seem to get it calibrated/turned off/or just plain working. Anyone have any experience with Panny Plasmas and their auto dim feature?

LOL! Yes, i know about the auto-dim. I own two Panasonic Plasmas. One is 3 years old, the other is less than a year old. The newer one has the auto dim feature, and my old one does not, it's extremely annoying, and for whatever reason, it seems to be the worse during basketball games. I haven't explored how to turn it off, but I have two theories. One, it could be an anti-image retention feature. Two, it could be an energy-star feature.

I'd be interested in knowing if you figure out how to turn that stupid feature off.

~Rock

LOL! Yes, i know about the auto-dim. I own two Panasonic Plasmas. One is 3 years old, the other is less than a year old. The newer one has the auto dim feature, and my old one does not, it's extremely annoying, and for whatever reason, it seems to be the worse during basketball games. I haven't explored how to turn it off, but I have two theories. One, it could be an anti-image retention feature. Two, it could be an energy-star feature.

I'd be interested in knowing if you figure out how to turn that stupid feature off.

~Rock

I found something talking about a C.A.T.S. feature and turning it off should help, problem is I found that feature on my TV and it was off and it still seems to be doing it. DOH!!!

get a plasma.. with LCD's you have to be sitting right in front of it to see what's actually on the screen..
if your store credit is at best buy, get an insignia.. i have a 50 inch insignia plasma and we got it for $500 ($620 with a warranty that includes the geek squad coming to your house even if the remote won't work.. with other brands, if something goes wrong with the TV, you gotta send it to Korea, and you gotta pay for shipping there and back..)

Back