Does your swing change when you are in a simulator vs outside?

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have never been able to hit the ball consistently in an indoor simulator, be they small computers or full screen caves. I just spent my lunch break spraying various hybrids all over creation on the big screen simulator at my local Edwin Watts.

Outside I know what my ball is going to do 9 times out of 10 - it will go straight or turn slightly left, and my big miss is either a snap hook or a block every few holes or so. Put me inside in a simulator and all heck breaks loose; left, right, hook, slice, high, low, bad contact, good contact, fat, thin, heel, toe. I feel like a beginner again instead of a 13 handicap capable of shooting in the mid-80s.

Dear Lord, I can't hit two shots back to back the same way to save my life! Tell me I'm not the only one who loses nearly all golfing ability in a simulator like that? :beat-up:

I don't seem to have a problem hitting on the sim. My ball actually seems to go straight more often than it does outside ( I think they are "fixed" to make it look like the clubs you are testing make your ball go straight).

I can't stand simulators. It doesn't completely fall apart, but I'm never able to get comfortable, so I'm never able to get my swing going the way I would like. I know it's all mental, but is what it is. I've avoided them up to this point. I'm sure it would get better if I spent more time in one. Makes trying out clubs a pain unless you luck upon a demo day...

I'm ok if it's a large sim, the small cave simulators I get all nervous that I might hit something though and it throws my swing out of whack, especially since I'm a lefty and it seems the computer is always at my back!

I hit the ball so well in te simulators at GG and GT. I hit like 300 yard 3 woods and 180yd pw's.

I hit the ball so well in te simulators at GG and GT. I hit like 300 yard 3 woods and 180yd pw's.

You need to quit playing outdoors and buy one of those sims Roger Maltbie peddles on TGC infomercials

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I shortarm my follow through in Sims thinking I'm going to hit the ceiling.

It's never bothered me.

I tend to do the same thing. I've gotten better, especially last winter when I often hit in a sim but yeah I used to have fits in those things too.

I don't have a problem. But I'm sure others struggle with indoors on a simulator because they want to just kill the ball and see a big number rather than just hitting the ball straight in the fairway.

I cant hit on them with a driver but 3w and irons I hit perfectly...wait...guess that's just my game these days. I dont know what it is about them but I have the most inconsistent swings when I try a driver and yesterday I was actually clocked at 82mph swing speed instead of the 98 that I have been measured at.

Interesting enough I seem to have problems hitting in our golfsmith, but I remember playing pretty well on the simulator elsewhere. I believe it happens because of time pressure that you have while being in the shop, because those sales guys are not really happy that you're having driving range session there, and there is always another guy waiting... I think if you would remove those factors ' you would be able to swing close to the real world (considering that the equipment is decent)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem. But I'm sure others struggle with indoors on a simulator because they want to just kill the ball and see a big number rather than just hitting the ball straight in the fairway.

This is what happens to me. I get in a long drive contest with my instuctor and swing out of my shoes. My drives go straight for the most part, but as soon as I try to pick up an iron, its game over. I gave up after hitting 3 hosel rockets with the new R11 and just left.

I get tentative with my swing indoors. I can't swing as hard, ever, not sure why.

I dont have problems hitting the ball straight on simulators but I definetly dont hit the ball as far on a simulator as I do at the range or on the course. I only hit my 7-iron about 135 yards on a simulator but I can easily hit it 150+ at the range or on the course.

I think that's my problem too...I spray the ball everywhere in the sims at GG....but the big ones at Golfsmith with the big hitting area I seem to do okay in.

There are thoughts going on in a sim that aren't preset during a round. I liken it to playing in a scramble, unless you're the 1st guy, or there isn't a good ball laying yet, you're gonna approach it differently than your regular game.

Simply said... yes!

I feel all constricted and stuff in those sims or lm's... I tighten right up.

Alex

I do hit the ceiling. I've done it time and time again. All I feel comfortable hitting are irons.

I'm 6'5" and with today's longer drivers I'm simply afraid to swing them in those simulators anymore.

Neither do I. Not quite for the same reason but for the most part I ignore them. I ignore them based on the feeling of constriction I mentioned. I did take the SF 2.0 into one and that was the first time I took a chance on a purchase after hitting in a sim or lm. LOL.. I'm old school. 6'5"... man you must create a crapload of leverage in your swing.

Alex

I never swing well in a simulator. I don't like constricted spaces and I certainly don't like hitting on turf-inside or outside.

I tend to do the same thing. I have hit a couple of walls, ceilings and cutains in a few of them.
And, when I am in one that I don't short arm, I tend to swing harder than I do outside.

Neither do I. Not quite for the same reason but for the most part I ignore them. I ignore them based on the feeling of constriction I mentioned. I did take the SF 2.0 into one and that was the first time I took a chance on a purchase after hitting in a sim or lm. LOL.. I'm old school. 6'5"... man you must create a crapload of leverage in your swing.

Alex
Get a Nicklaus ML4 Alex. :)

Back