TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

I would be surprised if people in the northern states were buying new equipment this late in the season. Florida is heading into their season while we are all headed out of ours.

Lets keep in mind that irons are not exactly selling like hotcakes this year so far.
I mean for so many the talk of TaylorMade making a forged iron was what they were waiting for.
The TP line, while a very solid iron, has been abysmal in sales in my opinion.

Well, I would love to have these irons. I'm sure TM is ecstatic about selling one freaking million white metalwoods, and I am pretty sure that the 2.0's are doing just fine, and those are their bread n butter.

At any rate, the one thing I keep hearing about these are "forgiveness", "long", and "sleek". I like all those things. A lot!

What I thought was interesting yesterday was when I ask and he responded saying the R11's had some tough compitition and rattled off a few sets. Ping i15, mizuno JPX-800's which I don't consider to be in the same class but not the Razr X Tours. The more I think about it the more I think this guy was a moron.

What I thought was interesting yesterday was when I ask and he responded saying the R11's had some tough compitition and rattled off a few sets. Ping i15, mizuno JPX-800's which I don't consider to be in the same class but not the Razr X Tours. The more I think about it the more I think this guy was a moron.

Plus, the i15's are like 2 years old. You should never do business with that guy again. Clearly he's a Mizuno homer. The world is full of them.

Plus, the i15's are like 2 years old. You should never do business with that guy again. Clearly he's a Mizuno homer. The world is full of them.

Exactly. Full of too many of them too. I agree with you I think these irons offer a lot. Great looks, forgiveness, distance and tech. And I don't ever buy from that guy anyway. I just ask him about the R11's and his response was typical. He's on my no buy list since trashing callaway a while back.

Exactly. Full of too many of them too. I agree with you I think these irons offer a lot. Great looks, forgiveness, distance and tech. And I don't ever buy from that guy anyway. I just ask him about the R11's and his response was typical. He's on my no buy list since trashing callaway a while back.

He sounds like your typical Mizuno homer, just bashing everyone else. I would never talk to him again. What a moron.

He sounds like your typical Mizuno homer, just bashing everyone else. I would never talk to him again. What a moron.

He's been banned. Actually I was thinking of going back and making him fit me for some R11 irons. And when he tries to push the mizunos on me I'm going to shoot him down hard. I told him I played the JPX-800's in Florida and they were ok. He was shocked I didn't already have them in my bag. Homer.

He's been banned. Actually I was thinking of going back and making him fit me for some R11 irons. And when he tries to push the mizunos on me I'm going to shoot him down hard. I told him I played the JPX-800's in Florida and they were ok. He was shocked I didn't already have them in my bag. Homer.

I think that's the best plan dude, make him fit you for R11's. And every time you hit a ball with one, just gush about how buttery soft they feel, lol

I have still not made it to a store to hit these. I really need to too. Maybe sometime this week.

Well, I would love to have these irons. I'm sure TM is ecstatic about selling one freaking million white metalwoods, and I am pretty sure that the 2.0's are doing just fine, and those are their bread n butter.

At any rate, the one thing I keep hearing about these are "forgiveness", "long", and "sleek". I like all those things. A lot!

Its funny, that is how a lot of people described the 2.0s. I still have not seen a whole lot of difference between the two performance wise.

I think your assessment seems accurate.

I don't know if I would want the forgiveness to be on the same level as the 2.0s. It is hard to tell where you hit the ball on the face of those clubs.

Agreed dmb, and oem k what would you compare them to then, if there is such a comparison? I really love the cb's and the jpx 800 pros and was kinda looking down that alley.

Agreed dmb, and oem k what would you compare them to then, if there is such a comparison? I really love the cb's and the jpx 800 pros and was kinda looking down that alley.

That's a very good question. I'm not really sure to be honest. Maybe that's part of the problem with the R11's. What exactly is the target customer? They list a very wide range of HC's. They have lighter shafts, bigger heads but not huge, some but not much offset, thinner faces, stronger lofts and offer forgiveness. Maybe they're in a class of their own?

That's a very good question. I'm not really sure to be honest. Maybe that's part of the problem with the R11's. What exactly is the target customer? They list a very wide range of HC's. They have lighter shafts, bigger heads but not huge, some but not much offset, thinner faces, stronger lofts and offer forgiveness. Maybe they're in a class of their own?

Sounds like the description of the R9s to me.

if that's the case, does Taylormade risk diluting or overlapping products if people think that their newer offerings are like their older ones? If irons are selling well like you say you'd think TM would want to come out with an iron product so unique (i.e white woods) that would make people wait in line to buy them

if that's the case, does Taylormade risk diluting or overlapping products if people think that their newer offerings are like their older ones? If irons are selling well like you say you'd think TM would want to come out with an iron product so unique (i.e white woods) that would make people wait in line to buy them

I dont think so. Its been a while since the R9s hit the market. To me its no different than any other company bringing out their latest line. Just like Ping with the G20, Titleist with the AP1, etc...

Interesting. Does anyone on tour at all play the R11 irons?

i agree with you to some level but i think just the name r11 (after the driver and FW's) would spark madness""

im leaning towards the cb's which felt awesome, compared to the pro combos

I dont think so. Its been a while since the R9s hit the market. To me its no different than any other company bringing out their latest line. Just like Ping with the G20, Titleist with the AP1, etc...

So this conversation interests me from a business perspective. JB, you watch what all these companies do much closer than most; do you get what TM is up to? One year ago they come out with the iron that was billed as changing everything in the 2.0 and it was well received but they've proceeded to release 4 more lines in the ensuing year. It seems like they're producing new products twice as fast (or more) as any other OEM. Callaway hasn't had a new product since the X line last year have they? And that was one line in 3 models which seems a lot "tighter" from a marketing perspective.

As a golfing consumer, I'm not complaining, it's fantastic for us, but I wonder about the business strategy. The R11 comes out 1 year after the 2.0; is different but plays the same; but isn't the replacement to the 2.0.... I have no idea what I'm saying, just some random thoughts/curiosity.

Interesting. Does anyone on tour at all play the R11 irons?

I dont believe so. Similar to the R9s actually. There were lots of guys playing the TP version on tour. That of course has been translated to the guys playing MCs for the most part.

So this conversation interests me from a business perspective. JB, you watch what all these companies do much closer than most; do you get what TM is up to? One year ago they come out with the iron that was billed as changing everything in the 2.0 and it was well received but they've proceeded to release 4 more lines in the ensuing year. It seems like they're producing new products twice as fast (or more) as any other OEM. Callaway hasn't had a new product since the X line last year have they? And that was one line in 3 models which seems a lot "tighter" from a marketing perspective.

As a golfing consumer, I'm not complaining, it's fantastic for us, but I wonder about the business strategy. The R11 comes out 1 year after the 2.0; is different but plays the same; but isn't the replacement to the 2.0.... I have no idea what I'm saying, just some random thoughts/curiosity.

Every company, every year has their new equipment as "game changing". The 2.0s were no different. They are not producing new products any faster than Adams, Mizuno, or a host of other companies. For the last few years, Taylormade has this rap as being the company that produces 46 drivers a year. Yet look at the timeline. R11 and SuperFast 2.0 are still the only driver released and we are 3 quarters of the way through 2011.

Then people say they release too many irons. But in reality they have always had the two lines (last few years anyway). Burner and R series. Both have different versions and both are separate releases. No different than Ping lets say with the S line and G line being released at different times.

The demand by some to release a forged product (for whatever the reason), let TaylorMade re-release the Tour Preferred irons. This was an iron set that was popular a few years ago and then was rolled into the R9 TPs rather than having 3 lines. The Tour Preferred set is not 3 different iron sets. It is one iron set that people can mix and match to choose what they want. Its the Tour Preferred line.

To me its no different than Mizuno having 5 sets of irons in their line at a given time and yet nobody ever says a thing about that for some reason. I do find it incredibly odd that nobody ever mentions Mizuno and Adams when it comes to product releases and yet always mention TaylorMade. Every company is guilty of this and its only going to get worse. Why? Because as this game as always been a game of social credit, people must have the latest and the greatest for some reason more so what works for their game. And while the two can be one and the same, they are not always.

That is so well said JB, I am looking into these irons as i like the cb's but i saw that whole line as a mix n match. The cb suited me the best. Hence my interest in the r11's. Forgiveness and workability? hmmm im in.

Lets keep in mind that irons are not exactly selling like hotcakes this year so far.
I mean for so many the talk of TaylorMade making a forged iron was what they were waiting for.
The TP line, while a very solid iron, has been abysmal in sales in my opinion.

Even though the TP line was a great product I don't think they had enough marketing behind the line. I also think the line is specifically for a niche group of players, where the 2.0's really branch out to just about every player, depending on whatever club they want to play.

JB do you get any sales numbers from TM or is this just what you hear from reps?

Back