Top-Flite Gamer V2 Review

fishymehta

Ahh... life is good
Reaction score
Handicap
14.0 OOB
I picked this ball up recently, since I was playing a long course and it was rainy all week. Plus, there was a B1G1 free deal for $15, so it was worth it. I played a few rounds in wet conditions, and here are my findings:

Off the tee
First things first, this ball is long. I was consistently driving well over 245 with this ball, and this was with soaked fairways. I estimated the carry to be around 230-235 yards, with some nice rollout. Really reduced sidespin, it was really difficult to slice or hook with this ball. The ball flight was higher, but not too high that I lost distance. The ball felt really light off the driver, and it was tough to get a gauge on feel. But with my 5w, I could really feel the ball, and it was very light and soft. It felt a little like I was over-compressing the golf ball, although I couldn't argue with the results. Only one downside: tough to draw/fade on doglegs

Score: 9.5/10

Woods/Long irons
Nothing really different than the tee. I saw a distance increase, but not even close to that off the tee. 3-4 yards on average; my 7i carry increased from 153 to around 156. I felt this ball really shined with carry. I saw the ball get up a lot quicker, although it was a very penetrating mid-high ball flight. Although there wasn't too much rollout, I was still gaining some distance. Again, the sidespin was reduced, and the ball flew straight for me, compared to my usual slight draw. I liked this ball, except when it came to having to hit out from trees. Because the ball got up so quick, it took a lot of effort to keep the ball low.

Score: 8/10

Short Irons/Wedges

This is one of the few areas where I felt the ball was really lacking. I was lucky to get a hop-hop-and-stop with a full 52º, and was lucky if I had minimal rollout with 8-PW. I was unable to back it up, or even stop, except for once with the 56º. I liked the constant rollout on greenside chips, though, but hated the lack of spin on anything more. Obviously, this ball is meant for people who need the long-game help.

Score: 3/10

And lastly... Putting

Actually wasn't as bad as I thought. It didn't feel like a brick like I was expecting. The lightness of the ball really helped it from feeling too heavy off the face, and the roll was consistent. It was alright, maybe better than most of the cheap distance balls

Score: 5/10

Overall: 6.4/10 7.1

Note: After playing 1 ball for 12 holes, hitting a cart path and 2 trees, plus numerous wedge shots on the practice greens, this ball was almost scuff-free. There were no cracks or scrapes, just a few slight scuff marks. I'm going to give the durability a 10/10, bumping up the overall to a 7.1/10

Final Thoughts: I know this was a long review, but I felt like really being thorough for you THPers who might be thinking about this ball. I'm going to say this is a ball if you are either a high-handicapper who needs the extra help with your driving and irons, or if you are a very high spin player who can get this ball to hop-and-stop (I am a mid-spinner). This ball was good, but the short game was abysmal, stopping any hopes of knocking my Z-Stars OOTB.

Great review, where di you find them b1g1?

It is a great ball for me, I see all the same things you see with your long irons and driver, except the ball is pretty decent for me around the green. I can usually stop it cold or even bring it back a foot or two with a 7 on up. Similar spin to a distance oriented tour ball for me, like a Prov1X or 20XIX. It does release a little more than I like on chips, I am a low spin chipper

Great review, where di you find them b1g1?

It is a great ball for me, I see all the same things you see with your long irons and driver, except the ball is pretty decent for me around the green. I can usually stop it cold or even bring it back a foot or two with a 7 on up. Similar spin to a distance oriented tour ball for me, like a Prov1X or 20XIX. It does release a little more than I like on chips, I am a low spin chipper

I found them at my local golf shop, it was a really nice deal, I know.

Really? You found good spin with these? You must be reallly high spin, because the most I could get was a single stop dead with a full 56º out of barely damp fairway. Mostly hop-and-stop with the 56º*and hop-hop-and-stop with the 52º

I am a very high spin iron player. With a high spin ball, I will stop my 4 iron dead, no joke. The most roll I had all day with a full swing was about 1-2 feet. I get no spin on my chip shots however, If I am 10 feet off the green I am likely to roll it off the green on the other side here lately. It's frustrating. Those are the spots where I really miss a ball like the Penta.

If I am 10 feet off the green I am likely to roll it off the green on the other side here lately. It's frustrating. Those are the spots where I really miss a ball like the Penta.

Haha I'm with you. But I'm actually solid spin on my chipping/pitching, but low spin with my irons. But that's why I can't use the Gamer*— I can't shoot for the pin like I want (just in case I make a mistake, I have a larger margin of error)

Thanks for the review. I've seen positive reviews on Amazon for these, but nothing as thorough as this. I would certainly get them if they were B1G1, but I think I'll still try them out. I've been looking for a new ball as my favorite (Callaway HX Hot) are old and getting hard to find.

Ive played with a handful of people the last few weeks that have been talking about the Gamer V2s, as well as seeing some people here on THP that were surprisingly impressed with these.

Thanks for posting up your thoughts, great review, but good call on keeping the Z Stars in the bag.

I actually like these balls for the price, and esp for the price you got it for.

I have never hit these balls, I know Ole Gray bought some back in the spring and liked them then, but I don't know if he has gamed them again. They seem to be a great value and something anyone with a handicap in the 20's or above should seriously consider. Great review.

Thanks for the review. I've seen positive reviews on Amazon for these, but nothing as thorough as this. I would certainly get them if they were B1G1, but I think I'll still try them out. I've been looking for a new ball as my favorite (Callaway HX Hot) are old and getting hard to find.

Then you should definitely try these. These are really similar — hot off the tee with nice roll.

Thanks for posting up your thoughts, great review, but good call on keeping the Z Stars in the bag.

LOL I know, nothing can beat them

I think they are a solid ball, no pun intended. During the summer when we were getting quite a bit of rain I put the premium balls away and used these for better roll out and found I liked them from all over the place. Nice review OP.

I think they are a solid ball, no pun intended. During the summer when we were getting quite a bit of rain I put the premium balls away and used these for better roll out and found I liked them from all over the place. Nice review OP.

Thanks... and I agree. I think this is definitely going to be a possible option for me in soaked conditions, where the rollout is an advantage, and the wetter greens will help to stop the ball a bit quicker.

Nicely done

Nice review of the v2. They are my goto 20 ball if I can't get some e6 for any reason.

I tapped, I talked.

Back