The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. I have not tried to ring the Rodgers Bell this whole argument. I won't now. But he is awfully close.

Brady and Manning are nearing the end of their careers. One more than the other. This is one of those times when the young group needs to step up and fill those roles.

Can I say Tebow? He always shows up in the big games. He has the intangibles.

How can he do that if he doesn't look like a QB? :alien:

How can he do that if he doesn't look like a QB? :alien:

Welcome to the joke...

I just don't buy the logic that years ago this guy was super goto and clutch, so even after 5 years of not succeeding, he is still clutch.

That opinion was formed after watching the Green Bay Packers from 1997-2008.

Long time Denver Broncos fan here, and it's not so much fun lately. The issue I have with Kyle Orton is that he doesn't play better when the game is on the line, he plays worse. Contrast that with Tebow who seems to raise his level of his play the farther along a game gets, and he seems to bring up the level of play of his teammates as well. Denver needs more than a different QB however. They need new studs at DT, OG, MLB, CB and RB in order to compete in their own division, let alone with the rest of the league.
I have to agree with you there. They had some really good draft picks and didn't capitalize on it. They took Tebow like it was for bragging rights. I don't see him as the answer, he is a great Guy but I'd rather have a great quarterback. I hope he proves to be both. Orton shows moments of greatness for sure but like was said when the heat goes up he doesn't handle it well. I think their biggest weakness right now though is defense both for the run and passing. Oakland would have scored atleast two more touchdowns had they not been so stupid with the flags. Denver had very little answer for anything they did.

Serious question: has there been a successful NFL QB who had to more or less completely change his throwing motion?

If just looking like a QB was all it took and changing your motion was easy to do and still be good then Byron Leftwich would be a pro-bowler by now... just sayin'.

Serious question: has there been a successful NFL QB who had to more or less completely change his throwing motion?

If just looking like a QB was all it took and changing your motion was easy to do and still be good then Byron Leftwich would be a pro-bowler by now... just sayin'.

Sure. Here are a few that got major overhauls once they got to the NFL. Sometimes they stuck, sometimes they went to a hybrid of the overhaul.

Randall Cunningham
Steve McNair
Daunte Culpepper
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Steve Grogan

I never thought I word see the words "moment of greatness" along side Kyle Orton ..... ever....

You have to wonder where Romo's head is right about now and just how bad his confidence is too. A few more games like that and he might be broke for good.

You have to wonder where Romo's head is right about now and just how bad his confidence is too. A few more games like that and he might be broke for good.

I dont know man. He seems unflappable. In the sense he understood he made some mistakes but just seems like the type of guy who wont let it impact him. Hope that makes sense.

Plus he seems so damn likable. Lessons from the pros was fun to watch.

I dont know man. He seems unflappable. In the sense he understood he made some mistakes but just seems like the type of guy who wont let it impact him. Hope that makes sense.

Plus he seems so damn likable. Lessons from the pros was fun to watch.

You sure hope so. You have to have a short memory playing QB and even more so when you make stupid mistakes. Theyve been calling for his head on Sirius NFL the last two days. Surprises me too. Who do they want? Kitna? Quincy Carter?

I saw the Lessons from the pros last , it was pretty good. He seemed like a pretty cool dude.

You sure hope so. You have to have a short memory playing QB and even more so when you make stupid mistakes. Theyve been calling for his head on Sirius NFL the last two days. Surprises me too. Who do they want? Kitna? Quincy Carter?

I saw the Lessons from the pros last , it was pretty good. He seemed like a pretty cool dude.

Some of the callers into Sirius piss me off. The only thing I could see is if they give McGee a chance but no way he is better than Romo.

Romo is going to be fine, he has a game like that once in a while, some have come at the worst possible time but that has happened to others as well. He will win his share of games and titles.

Charles Woodson is 10k lighter. I like the guy off the field quite a bit, but that was weak.

"Yeah, I threw a punch," he said. "Just got frustrated, the guy was holding me a little longer than I wanted. Nothing was said about it, referee-wise, quick enough, and I reacted. It is what it is, I guess."

Charles Woodson is 10k lighter. I like the guy off the field quite a bit, but that was weak.

Rightly so too. That was a dumb move.

Rightly so too. That was a dumb move.

No doubt. He admitted it right after the game. Guy was chipping at him and he lost his cool. It doesn't happen too often.

Kevin

Sure. Here are a few that got major overhauls once they got to the NFL. Sometimes they stuck, sometimes they went to a hybrid of the overhaul.

Randall Cunningham
Steve McNair
Daunte Culpepper
Jim McMahon
Jim Plunkett
Steve Grogan

But nobody really recent under the modern pass-happy NFL rules. McNair and Culpepper are closest, but McNair was never a great passer and Culpepper was at his best chucking bombs to Randy Moss and then vanished (helped by injury, of course). But if anything that might help Tebow since the NFL seems hell-bent on making pass defense impossible to play and giving every advantage to the passing game...

I do at least give Woodson credit for owning up to it and admitting he lost his cool and not trying to fabricate a grand tale of woe, etc.

I wouldnt expect anything else. That secondary is full of cheapshots. Second worst part (other the act) was it was such a weak uppercut. What a loser, I really really despise that secondary, they lack integrity.

I wouldnt expect anything else. That secondary is full of cheapshots. Second worst part (other the act) was it was such a weak uppercut. What a loser, I really really despise that secondary, they lack integrity.

You're pushing me, aren't you junior? Well, it's not going to work. Cutler is my second favorite QB, and Lovie Smith is a great coach.

Kevin

You're pushing me, aren't you junior? Well, it's not going to work. Cutler is my second favorite QB, and Lovie Smith is a great coach.

Kevin

Hahaha, no I like to push 2010.. not a well to do Packers fan like yourself. I was actually really surprised to see him lose his cool. Lovie Smith is my 32nd favorite NFL coach. He flat out stinks. He and Mike Martz can go run the Cardinals next year.

But nobody really recent under the modern pass-happy NFL rules. McNair and Culpepper are closest, but McNair was never a great passer and Culpepper was at his best chucking bombs to Randy Moss and then vanished (helped by injury, of course). But if anything that might help Tebow since the NFL seems hell-bent on making pass defense impossible to play and giving every advantage to the passing game...

I do at least give Woodson credit for owning up to it and admitting he lost his cool and not trying to fabricate a grand tale of woe, etc.

But that is just it. I dont think anybody thinks Tebow needs to be a great passer. McNair certainly wasnt (although underrated), and was definitely fine. The idea that this guy is a complete failure after just one year, is absurd to me. The part that shows that it is subjective rather than objective is that nobody is so openly discussing the guy he is competing with failing and both were projected similarly in the draft. Im not a Tebow fan. I hate the Gators so much it hurts. But if I was on a team in todays day and age of professional sports, it would be hard to not root for a guy like him. A guy that does everything right, works hard, never has off field issues and has his pedigree of winning. I wouldnt bet against it. The people that are, in my opinion are doing it for the wrong reasons.

They talk of the religious thing being the reason, yet nobody ever said boo about Steve Young, Jim McMahon, or any other player that praises God at every chance they get. To me, and it is only my opinion, that side of it is used a scape goat because of where he played, how dominant the team was and that there is not a single thing else to go after the guy for.

But that is just it. I dont think anybody thinks Tebow needs to be a great passer. McNair certainly wasnt (although underrated), and was definitely fine. The idea that this guy is a complete failure after just one year, is absurd to me. The part that shows that it is subjective rather than objective is that nobody is so openly discussing the guy he is competing with failing and both were projected similarly in the draft. Im not a Tebow fan. I hate the Gators so much it hurts. But if I was on a team in todays day and age of professional sports, it would be hard to not root for a guy like him. A guy that does everything right, works hard, never has off field issues and has his pedigree of winning. I wouldnt bet against it. The people that are, in my opinion are doing it for the wrong reasons.

They talk of the religious thing being the reason, yet nobody ever said boo about Steve Young, Jim McMahon, or any other player that praises God at every chance they get. To me, and it is only my opinion, that side of it is used a scape goat because of where he played, how dominant the team was and that there is not a single thing else to go after the guy for.

There is no doubt the dude is a stand up guys and maybe that is why people hate on him. I am not Tebows biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the perserving and the hard work the dude shows is second to none. The religious thing doesnt bother me so much, but I do think he "flaunts" it more than anyone I have ever seen in the NFL.

My question is, where does the road end? He wasnt expected to be a starting college QB, win a national championship, and certainly not a heisman. He wasnt expected to be drafted in the first round, so where does he finally not exceed expectations? I dont think he will ever be a dominant QB, but maybe he will prove me wrong. I think he makes for a good backup for a team and hopefully one day someone realizes that. He could be a good weapon out of the wildcat or maybe even as a fullback to be honsest.

Not trying to discount the dude because he seems like a great person with great morals, and in the NFL that is so rare, but how far is everyone willing to say this guy can go?

I'm glad someone in here can see the plain truth. Never a nicer ball thrown. Aikmans passes spoke to his receivers

Aikman is way underrated as a passer in my opinion. Just watch some replays sometime and look at the precision of that passing game, it is truly amazing. If he had been motivated by stats and not a true team player he would have owned a lot more records and the Cowboys might not have won nearly as much as they did.

Just found out Tony Romo uses a belly putter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back