Journey to Break 85

I don't like putting. Totally unnecessary imo.

I don't like putting. Totally unnecessary imo.

Can we call gimmes here in this thread? Usually 8 feet and in is way overrated.... Gimme?

I love this thread. Hawk is going to break 85 this month

89 yesterday. 49-40. i can never start off good. on the back i had a birdie, 3 pars, 4 bogeys and a double. not bad i guess since it was the first time i ever played the course. The fairways were actually in good shape. The front my approch shots and putting killed me. ill be out tomorrow on league but ill be lucky to break 100, i suck on league

Great back 9 Matty!

Nice rounds everyone. I played as a single today, hitting two balls. After the round, I was excited about how many great shots I hit, then I realized I played an equivalent of TWO rounds, so it was kind of average I guess. Here are some things I realized today:

I don't drink coffee much anymore. It's NOT a good idea to get a tall coffee and drink most of it 30 minutes before a 7:20am round. I was very jittery for the first three holes.

I played the blue tees today on a course where I've only ever played the white. Blue distance was 6580. the whites on this course are 6053 and I really think that's too short. I didn't figure that the 500+ yards would be that different spread over 18 holes - well I was wrong about that! I had some fun and it certainly meant the course played differently for me. I had two 235 yard par 3 holes. What I found was that I had longer shots into greens (obviously) but I also found that I sprayed the ball more from the tee trying to hit it harder/longer. I hit some great shots with my Taylormade CB 4 and 5 iron today. It felt great to do that!

I realized I need much more practice out of the sand.

I did that thing where you place the club across your chest to see if you're aiming properly. I realized I need to do that much more often. I was changing my alignment slightly because of it, and I was hitting greens, and hitting centers of fairways.

I realized that I've been posting here for about five months now, and I don't really know what I'm talking about! I try to be honest in my posts and give opinions based on my experience. But I haven't taken my game seriously enough and haven't tried enough gear to really have "valid" opinions. I might just shut up for awhile, we'll see.

I realized that my new Adams a7 4 hybrid is a sweet club and I can hit it high, straight and long, and work it when I want.

I realized that when I hit a draw with my irons, that it's mostly by accident. I realized that when I hit a draw with my driver, that I can do it at will and on purpose. I have no idea why it's different for me, but it is.

I realized that golfing alone is pretty cool, but playing two balls made me focus a little bit less, which wasn't a good thing for my score.

That's enough rambling for now. Hope you all have a pleasant weekend.

This made me laugh out loud! Keep posting your thought bro.

I played really good today and threw away a good round with a few stupid shots. It didn't help that I couldn't get off the damn tee. I had to take a penalty on a par 5 because I duck hooked my driver into some garbage and then hit a poor follow up hybrid into the drink. I two jacked a wedge from 25 yards. Also, my putting was pathetic today. The greens we were playing on were FAST and I haven't seen greens like that for a long time. I was way long on too many putts. I need to get off the tee better if I'm going to score better.

On the bright side, I birdied a hole this weekend and also got a fair amount of pars. That's a good thing in my world!

Nice Birdie Hawk!

To be honest Hawk thats the whole key to my game as well. If I'm hitting my driver well, then I'm playing well, if my driver is off, then my scores suffer. Thats whats going on right now, the past two rounds I just can't get off the tee properly.

I have been telling people that for years. My whole game is predicated on getting off the tee well. If I am in the fairway with 7 or less to get to the green, my chances of scoring well goes up exponentially.

Want to hear something funny? I used a different driver and hit 3/4 fairways yesterday.

That's awesome. Which driver did you switch to? Was your distance about the same?

Why thank you, Coolbreeze. Do you like R11's?

Yorkem,

I picked up a used Z-Star and have been working with it a little, but the Shotmaker testing has kept me from getting it out. Yes, I'm seeing some more distance out of it, but it needs tweaked a bit I think. Yesterday I was hitting it really well and lower than the SuperTri, but the long fairways were just killing any chance of roll out.

Hey, I never really thought about "Auto 2 putts". That's a terrific idea! Removing all the 3 putts from my scorecard is sure to bring me closer to shooting 85 regularly.

I love the idea of auto two putts.

I could live with that.

Yorkem,

I picked up a used Z-Star and have been working with it a little, but the Shotmaker testing has kept me from getting it out. Yes, I'm seeing some more distance out of it, but it needs tweaked a bit I think. Yesterday I was hitting it really well and lower than the SuperTri, but the long fairways were just killing any chance of roll out.

Any added distance is good, especially if you are hitting fairways. Do that in FL, and you will get plenty of roll out to add even more distance. What shaft is in the Z-Star? Same as your SuperTri?

I love the idea of auto two putts.

You guys don't want me to ever beat Chunky do you? If I don't make up strokes on the greens it'll never happen.

It's the R Flex Dromos. Similar flex code, but a little different. It was a pretty easy transition.

Any added distance is good, especially if you are hitting fairways. Do that in FL, and you will get plenty of roll out to add even more distance. What shaft is in the Z-Star? Same as your SuperTri?

You guys don't want me to ever beat Chunky do you? If I don't make up strokes on the greens it'll never happen.

Maybe a height restriction on the two putt gimme?

I didn't realize it until I did my writeup for the Adams clubs, but I almost broke 85 yesterday! Missed it by THAT much!

You hit it though. That's pretty awesome dude.

So...what's with the facial recognition avatars?

Hey, you guy's forgot to smile in your new Avatar pics. I couldn't bear showing you all my fugly mug, so I put a photo up of Tawny, our smiling Golden Retriever.

That's a nice looking pic, RadRob.

Yorkem, we are just being goofy and trying to have a little fun. It may or may not be allowed. We have people checking.

Chunky has had his picture up for months with no issues...hehehehe

Maybe a height restriction on the two putt gimme?

You have to be taller then the "Long Tom"

Ok seriously I am starting to hate these irons now...I have lost so much distance because they are so soft and high lofted I shot over 90 for the first time in forever today. I really wish I could test the R11s now.

I couldn't find any place to blog about this on the forums.. I really wanted something to keep track of my progress. I know that if I start a word doc I wont have to own up to it. At least here I will get some feedback and I will feel more inclined to stick to my routine. Any feedback is welcome! Even if you want me to stop!!!!

I signed up the PGA SS card. I have unlimited sessions in their practice bay for 30-45 mins at a time. Whats cool is not only does it capture your stats (SS, Ball Speed, Launch Angle, shot type) but it also captures your swing on video to review and how your clubs impacts the ball (out to in, in to out etc...).

All I can say is I learned a ton!!!!!! I golfed a lot when I was in high school (about 10 years ago) and I stopped playing for a few years. Its good to see a lot of the basics havent left me and I just have to trust my swing more... But here are a few things I noticed:.

- I was rockin a lot. Tons of lower body movement. I realized that what seems like
a little bit is a ton. When I thought I took out 99% of the movement I noticed on video
it was right where it should be. And enough to transfer my weight and not dip.
Hopefully. Just have to work on being consistant

- My set up is out there. What I thought was a closed stance is actually nuetral. I would
over compensate and have a really open stance. Would that explain my pulls to the left?

- I also noticed my swing was super compact. Im getting back into shape (down 20lbs)
but man did it look compact. When I thought I was being wild with my swing, I still
thought it looked decent. I need to be more relaxed.. I looked super stiff.

- My out to ins isnt as bad as I thought. Which is cool. I've been working hard at it. I've
tried to limit myself to one thought during the swing. Thats the baseball diamond lol.

- I need to work on keeping focused even when im tired.

- I hit a ton of pulls lol.

- I dont get ball position. When I look down and see it far back.... on video its
still forward. This seems more psychological from a top down view but I hope to get
it straight. All I know is, my timing will be thrown off until I get used to the new ball
placement. I wonder if this explains my pulls too?????

- My swing speed is anywhere from 80 - 95 mph with my irons. I need to find a way to be
more consistant without slowing down on my downswing. This is gonna be tough.

- My free lesson cant come soon enough! I've had them before so Im hoping a couple
tune ups will be what I need for a bit. Obviously Ill need more as I keep getting better but
for now I think I can regain my old form.

Once I get a better picture of my swing and where its at, I know Ill def be posting in the ask the pro. Again, I apologize if this thread starts to bug because I plan on updating it a lot. I feel more accountable for working hard if this is here. Also, everyone on THP has really helped me re-ignite my passion for this game. In each of your own way you have contributed. Thank you!!!!!

I also realize I can't format.. sorry!

I found the GolfShot app to be pretty helpful for keeping track of my performance. It's a free app that acts as an electronic scorecard, and you enter your score, what club you hit off the tee, how many putts, whether or not you hit the fairway, etc., and it keeps track of your stats. It helps you see where you're performing at your skill level and where you're performing above or below (provided you know the averages for the different levels). I've found it pretty helpful in the two months I've been playing.

I found the GolfShot app to be pretty helpful for keeping track of my performance. It's a free app that acts as an electronic scorecard, and you enter your score, what club you hit off the tee, how many putts, whether or not you hit the fairway, etc., and it keeps track of your stats. It helps you see where you're performing at your skill level and where you're performing above or below (provided you know the averages for the different levels). I've found it pretty helpful in the two months I've been playing.

Thanks man! Ill have to find it for my Blackberry, unfortunately they do not have it for my os.

Thanks man! Ill have to find it for my Blackberry, unfortunately they do not have it for my os.

You could try OOB too.

Same thing broham. 9810 isnt support just yet. In time though!

I dont track distance or anything but I fill up my scorecard with stats with details (score, FIR, GIR, Putts, Chips) and then put it in online. Never bothered with the app because its just a distraction.

Back