Fairway and Hybrid Ideas???

fishymehta

Ahh... life is good
Reaction score
Handicap
14.0 OOB
I'm going shopping/testing for a new 3-wood and a 3-hybrid soon, and was looking for some ideas on what to go test, since I can't test everything. I hit my 3-wood some 200-205 yards, and the 3-hybrid around 185-ish.

Here's what I'm looking for in each:

Wood: Good distance, moderate forgiveness, mid ball flight, straight, decent looks (not a hunk of metal), versatile for tee, fairway, and light rough

Hybrid: Versatility, good distance, some forgiveness, mid ball flight, looks, can cut through heavy rough, ability to work the ball, long carry and land softly.

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome...

Try everything you can. That is my advice. The Taylormade R11 or the Cleveland Fl were my favorite 3 woods. Taylormade rescue 11 and the Titleist 910h are my favorite hybrids right now.

Try everything you can. That is my advice. The Taylormade R11 or the Cleveland Fl were my favorite 3 woods. Taylormade rescue 11 and the Titleist 910h are my favorite hybrids right now.

I'm planning to test quite a bit; I just want a starting point

Check out the thread The Longest Fairway Wood.

As for hybrids, there have been 5-10 threads in the last 3-4 weeks on this. Tons of great options.

I'd be remiss if I didnt offer the DIablo Octane FW or Cleveland FL's. Great FW's and they provide a lot of what you're looking for. Hybrids, I love the Mashie or Razr X. I'd recommend the Adams A12 but I'm not sure they're out or going to be individual hybrids.

Check out the thread The Longest Fairway Wood.

As for hybrids, there have been 5-10 threads in the last 3-4 weeks on this. Tons of great options.

Thanks JB... I have read through the Longest Fairway Wood, and have gained some good info from it. I'll look up on those hybrid threads, though.

Forgiveness I love the Adams F11 or LP 3woods and great distance for me. The Cleveland FL is a rocket launcher. Also, don't sleep on the VR Pro from Nike.

With the hybrids, the Mashie is so darn forgiving. I didn't get the performance out of it compared to my Rescue 11s.

Like everyone has said, try everything you can. The FW I'm gaming now wasn't even on my radar until I hit it at my driver fitting. Great looking club and I've had a lot of luck with it. Same goes for hybrids. There are a ton of good threads on either here. Good luck in your search!

I get that everyone says to try everything you can, but I know that you can't, so I'd say to try the Ping G20. I have the 4 wood and it gives me good distance with AMAZING forgiveness! On a heavily toed shot (my miss), I only lose 5-10 yards! It's ridiculous! Gives a high, consistant ball flight, so I'd highly recommend it!

I hit a bunch of hybrids and fairway woods, and I'm glad I did. At the start, I thought I'd get a SF 2.0 and 910H. In the end, the R11 worked best for me. None of the hybrids outperformed a long iron.

If you can wait until October, check out the Adams a12OS hybrids. We have a testing thread on the hybrids and irons going on right now.

If you can wait until October, check out the Adams a12OS hybrids. We have a testing thread on the hybrids and irons going on right now.

Was just going to mention that...really only a few days till they hit the market and they Hybrids are great!

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out for the Cleveland Mashie Hybrids. Unbelievable performers, with a super premium stock shaft. And now that they've been out half a year, you can get them for well under 100 bucks, far less money than if you just bought the shaft alone. The glide rails on the sole make them great performers out of the rough, and they are very forgiving to boot. And long, very long. I hit the M1 so well, I have no need for a 3 wood. And the M3 (3 Hyrbrid) is a great club too (Keegan Bradley is using one this weekend and crushing it)

I'm a big fan of the Taylormade Rescue 11. I have two and they are solid and consistent performers in every area you mentioned for me. Good luck in your search. It's fun going through the process.

I get that everyone says to try everything you can, but I know that you can't, so I'd say to try the Ping G20. I have the 4 wood and it gives me good distance with AMAZING forgiveness! On a heavily toed shot (my miss), I only lose 5-10 yards! It's ridiculous! Gives a high, consistant ball flight, so I'd highly recommend it!

I did try the G15 a short while back, but I couldn't really get it working. Is there any difference in between the 15 and 20 that could really help?

Well, I doubt I'll be doing only one testing, and the first probably won't be till early October so we'll see. I have heard great things about Adams hybrid, so they're definitely in the testing

I'd be remiss if I didnt offer the DIablo Octane FW or Cleveland FL's. Great FW's and they provide a lot of what you're looking for. Hybrids, I love the Mashie or Razr X. I'd recommend the Adams A12 but I'm not sure they're out or going to be individual hybrids.

I tried out both a while back, just for the heck of it. I personally loved both, although I find myself to be overswinging with the FL due to the lighter weight. Probably gonna put these in the FW testing.

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out for the Cleveland Mashie Hybrids. Unbelievable performers, with a super premium stock shaft. And now that they've been out half a year, you can get them for well under 100 bucks, far less money than if you just bought the shaft alone. The glide rails on the sole make them great performers out of the rough, and they are very forgiving to boot. And long, very long. I hit the M1 so well, I have no need for a 3 wood. And the M3 (3 Hyrbrid) is a great club too (Keegan Bradley is using one this weekend and crushing it)

I have also tried out the Mashie, when I tried out the Octane and FL Launcher. and it was easily a top pick for me. But I don't know how it will be after my full testing. As for an M1 over a 3w, personally, I could never do that. I need the 3w off the tee when the driver quits on me. But hey, whatever works, works.

I did try the G15 a short while back, but I couldn't really get it working. Is there any difference in between the 15 and 20 that could really help?

I haven't hit the 15, so I don't know. Sorry.

I haven't hit the 15, so I don't know. Sorry.

No problem. Thanks for the input, though. I'll definitely be testing out the 20.

P.S. what is your hdcp? It could help me getter a better scope of how it could work for me

Back