TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

As for holding greens with the longer irons, I can hold even firm greens with the 5 and 6 irons with no trouble at all. On firm greens I'm seeing some rollout but nothing crazy, on soft greens, they just hit and stick.

I've seen the same thing with my irons. At the worst, I'll have the 5 iron release about half the distance of the green, but that's mainly in thin shots. The amount of spin out of the rough with the short irons is also impressive.

Sent from Tapatalk

I wonder if this is going to be an industry standard, i would have to think so. I've noticed it in my wedges

Kongfrontation

I would think so buddy, it was really interesting talking to him, and he had me convinced that the grooves that are on the irons and wedges now will impart more spin than before. I would think every OEM in the game is doing the same thing, but TaylorMade put a lot of time and money into making sure the grooves on their new irons were the best they could do.

I've seen the same thing with my irons. At the worst, I'll have the 5 iron release about half the distance of the green, but that's mainly in thin shots. The amount of spin out of the rough with the short irons is also impressive.

Sent from Tapatalk

These heads do create some good spin but the shaft you are using is very spinny as well if its the kbs tour 90. Thats what I experienced with that shaft when I was fitted.

The KBS 90 is a spinny shaft. I was digging through some of my old numbers from steel shafts I tested and what I found in the KBS 90's has me very excited to put them back in the bag. It offered the most spin but it also offered the fastest clubhead speed and ball speed, so it was giving me some pretty wicked carry distances. Granted I was testing all of these iron shafts in a JPX 800 head, but at least it shows me what this shaft is capable of.

Great write up OEM. How did you like the R11's compared to your RXT's? Anything really stand out about one but not the other?

Kmac, with the immediate success of the 4iron, I have to ask, does it make you want a 3iron?

You know this thought did cross my mind. I think I've struggled with the 3 iron before for a few reasons some of which the graphite shafts might help a bit. I'm curious for sure. That 4 iron dropped next to the 150 marker a couple times for me like a guided missile.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

Kevin do you think the graphite shafts are what is helping your success with the 4i? I used to have a set of Nike VR Full Cavity irons with graphite shafts, they were the first set of graphite shafts I ever owned on a set, and I thought my long iron game was great with those. I still prefer the accuracy and distance control I have with steel shafts now, especially in my shorter irons, but do you think it is the graphite shaft that is really helping you, or maybe just the weight combination of your club?

The KBS 90 is a spinny shaft. I was digging through some of my old numbers from steel shafts I tested and what I found in the KBS 90's has me very excited to put them back in the bag. It offered the most spin but it also offered the fastest clubhead speed and ball speed, so it was giving me some pretty wicked carry distances. Granted I was testing all of these iron shafts in a JPX 800 head, but at least it shows me what this shaft is capable of.

Man I would love to try out those shafts on my MBs sometime just to see what kind of spin I get, but the flight might be scary because I definitely already get a high ball flight with the DG shafts. It is just something I would love to experiment with sometime. On other sets I had previously tried out that had stock KBS shafts I just loved the flight though

yea it does give alot of height and spin. The problem was they werent very accurate for me, not only directional but distance control is very hard with them. If you have a slow swing speed though, its one of the best to use. Which is what Taylormade is aiming for in the R11 irons stock; the average golfer has a slow swing speed and they make up a big percentage of their sales. Thats why their tour preferred line comes stock with Dynamic Gold normal weighted shafts which can handle the faster speeds and can be more accurate. Two different target audiences and the reviewers of the irons should be aware of this when reviewing. The R11 irons are fantastic heads but you need to be custom fitted to find the correct shaft.

yea it does give alot of height and spin. The problem was they werent very accurate for me, not only directional but distance control is very hard with them. If you have a slow swing speed though, its one of the best to use. Which is what Taylormade is aiming for in the R11 irons stock; the average golfer has a slow swing speed and they make up a big percentage of their sales. Thats why their tour preferred line comes stock with Dynamic Gold normal weighted shafts which can handle the faster speeds and can be more accurate.

I don't agree with this statement at all!!!!!

yeah my swing speed averages around 90-95mph, so I don't have a real fast one.

yea it does give alot of height and spin. The problem was they werent very accurate for me, not only directional but distance control is very hard with them. If you have a slow swing speed though, its one of the best to use. Which is what Taylormade is aiming for in the R11 irons stock; the average golfer has a slow swing speed and they make up a big percentage of their sales. Thats why their tour preferred line comes stock with Dynamic Gold normal weighted shafts which can handle the faster speeds and can be more accurate. Two different target audiences and the reviewers of the irons should be aware of this when reviewing. The R11 irons are fantastic heads but you need to be custom fitted to find the correct shaft.

what dont you agree with?

Interesting edit add. I did not agree either. You have to be custom fit with these heads just as much and as little as ANY iron. A shaft is only as good as the person that it fits.

what dont you agree with?

Because everyones swing is different, you can't say that one shaft works for better golfers and fast swing speeds and others don't. TC has a really fast swing speed and I've seen his numbers with the KBS 90 shafts and their sick. I've also seen golfers with struggle with the DG shafts who are scratch players, and IMHO the stock shaft in the CB's is garbage. You can't make broad generalizations about skill level and the shaft that would fit them.

I don't agree with this statement at all!!!!!

I'm with CB here. I have the KBS 90s in my R9s and have a pretty high swing speed (108 with driver according to Bridgestone Ball Fitting), and they work very well for me. I haven't had problems with accuracy except for those caused by my swing directly. The KBS 90s are very good shafts for all kinds of golfers.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the initial thoughts and write-ups by everyone. I can't wait until everyone gets theirs in and gets into a groove with these things.

Interesting edit add. I did not agree either. You have to be custom fit with these heads just as much and as little as ANY iron. A shaft is only as good as the person that it fits.

yea, I wasnt finished, tried to make it more clear. The R11 irons heads are some of the best GI irons out there, IMO, plenty of forgiveness but top line isnt bad. Super easy to hit but the stock offering is aimed at slow swing speeds.

Because everyones swing is different, you can't say that one shaft works for better golfers and fast swing speeds and others don't. TC has a really fast swing speed and I've seen his numbers with the KBS 90 shafts and their sick. I've also seen golfers with struggle with the DG shafts who are scratch players, and IMHO the stock shaft in the CB's is garbage. You can't make broad generalizations about skill level and the shaft that would fit them.

Yea they can be good shafts for anyone really but when you go to get fitted on trackman or any other fitting device like for instance the mizuno shaft optimizer or a taylormade performance lab. The computer is not going to recommend KBS tour 90 or any lightweight shaft for that matter if you have a fast swing speed.

Yea they can be good shafts for anyone really but when you go to get fitted on trackman or any other fitting device like for instance the mizuno shaft optimizer or a taylormade performance lab. The computer is not going to recommend KBS tour 90 or any lightweight shaft for that matter.

We need to take thig to another thread, but again I disagree.

Yea they can be good shafts for anyone really but when you go to get fitted on trackman or any other fitting device like for instance the mizuno shaft optimizer or a taylormade performance lab. The computer is not going to recommend KBS tour 90 or any lightweight shaft for that matter.

Ummmm, really? I have been fit through all of these systems. I also have my own launch monitor. The KBS Tour 90 was actually fit for me by two different systems due to launch numbers. For a shaft to be fit for someone, they must be in the system obviously.

Ummmm, really? I have been fit through all of these systems. I also have my own launch monitor. The KBS Tour 90 was actually fit for me by two different systems due to launch numbers. For a shaft to be fit for someone, they must be in the system obviously.

Im sorry I edited that one too. Im talking about fast swing speeds. What was your swing speed when you were recommended kbs tour 90?

Im sorry I edited that one too. Im talking about fast swing speeds. What was your swing speed when you were recommended kbs tour 90?

I swing the driver around 105mph. I have the numbers from the fitting at the office. Making vast generalizations about swing speed, skill level and shaft weight is not really fair. That is like saying no fast swingers can play the Miyazaki 43 or 59 C. Kua with a fast swing speed. While weight may play a role (just like other factors), it is the total package of swing and shaft that determine what someone should be properly fit for.

Great write up OEM. How did you like the R11's compared to your RXT's? Anything really stand out about one but not the other?

Man I really like the RXT's so this is a hard comparison but a good one too. To be fair the two sets are not set up the same. I have TrueTemper GS95 S300 shafts in the RXT's. A little heavier and probably on the stiff side for my swing. Then the R11's with light weight graphite shafts. First is probably obvious and thats the weight. The R11's have a more effortless feel to them when swung. When I changed my bag around yesterday I held the two AW's together and the difference was very noticeable. Where the RXT's have a little smaller looking head the R11's are bigger. The RXT's kind of have a powerful compact look, kind of all business and the R11's look modern and flashy. On the course I saw a higher ball flight with the R11's and Im going to say *more distance. I added the "*" because it was my first time out with them so there still needs to be more testing. Sound and feel is another thing I'll have to wait on for now. Moving from the RXT's to the R11's I saw no loss of distance or accuracy.

Kevin do you think the graphite shafts are what is helping your success with the 4i? I used to have a set of Nike VR Full Cavity irons with graphite shafts, they were the first set of graphite shafts I ever owned on a set, and I thought my long iron game was great with those. I still prefer the accuracy and distance control I have with steel shafts now, especially in my shorter irons, but do you think it is the graphite shaft that is really helping you, or maybe just the weight combination of your club?

I think the graphite shafts had a lot to do with it. It was almost too easy to hit it. I hit the 5 iron very well too which makes sense. I cant wait to get back out and go through a good range session with each club. Hopefully that can happen in the next couple days.

But again this is just not true, there is a lot more to a shaft fitting than SS and the KBS 90 shaft can quite often be fit for golfers with fast swing speeds.

This is beginning to sound a lot like someone saying that good players or players with fast swings should not play graphite either.

Must not ponder new irons, must not ponder new irons, must not ponder new irons....

OEM I'm really enjoying your feedback in particular right now because I am definitely considering a return to graphite iron shafts with the next set of clubs I buy. I like certain aspects of the steel I'm playing now, but honestly the dampening effects of graphite is hard to ignore since I've been battling elbow tendonitis issues off and on this year. Glad to see the clubs are very controllable and not ballooning on you.

Back