Newbie looking for some new irons

Danmancity

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Hi there first post so I'll explain my current situation

Been playing a few months, go to the range a couple of times a week and played 3 rounds and scored in the high 50s to low 70s for 9 holes (I know I'm not great lol)

At the moment I have:

Cobra SS tour driver 9.0 w/stiff shaft
Donnay cheapo 3 wood 15.0 degree w/reg shaft
Palm Springs 4 hybrid 18.0 degree w/reg shaft
Taylormade Burner XD 4-SW w/reg graphite shafts
Donnay Cheapo 60.0 degree wedge

I bought the burners Second hand after reading some good reviews, shots in the centre feel lovely but they don't feel as great as others say on off centre hits to me, also, I went into my local golf shop today to try some irons and the guys there said I would be much better off with stiff shafts because of my swing speed, but I've booked a shaft fitting session next weekend to be sure

I tested the di11 because of the reviews on here and they did feel pretty nice, gave a bit more feel off the face than my burners and I liked the weight of the shafts a little more, easy to get on with quickly, he then said the Nike Ignite 3 were very similar but alot cheaper, didn't get a chance to test them however.

Then I tried the TM Burner 2.0s that felt identical to my current ones tbh apart from the stiff steel shaft which felt a little better

Also tried the Adams idea a7s, the irons felt great but couldn't get on with the hybrids from the set

As you guys are the experts what would you recommend? Budget £300 but would stretch a little if the feel that much better.

Thanks for your help :)

For me the Di11's are fantastic and a great buy at any price, if the shaft fits you.

Welcome to thp.

I would wait until you can consistently shoot below 55 to get new clubs. In the mean time, use that 300 to buy a couple lessons. Your scores will improve more dramatically than new clubs would ever give you.

I would wait until you can consistently shoot below 55 to get new clubs. In the mean time, use that 300 to buy a couple lessons. Your scores will improve more dramatically than new clubs would ever give you.

I would have to agree. Although your TM clubs are older its not a bad se to have starting off. I would take the cash and get a few lessons before investing a ton of money in irons. It doesnt take much to rack up 1000-1500 in golf equipment before you know it. Plus, if you have a significant other it prevents any bad MOJO between you two!

I would agree and say the money would be better spent on lessons. Once you get your swing down and you like the swing and the scores you're getting, then I'd get some new clubs fit to your game.

Remember Grasshopper, the result comes from the indian, not the arrow.

Wisdom ftw^

Take a look at the testing thread on the new Adams a12OS irons, they areva big improvement over the a7OS set and the hybrids are much better.

Hi again, thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna take all your advice and invest in some lessons, there's a good deal down my local club at the moment 5 hours for just £ 45 with a pro, which Includes the short game too :)

Just got back from the range, as a small test I borrowed one of my dads blades (7 iron) and I was shocked that I was so much more consistent with it than I was with my TM Burner 7 iron, with his blade iron I was aiming for the 150 marker and hit it a fair few times and the majority of them landed very close bar those where I took a nice divot lol, whereas with the burners I was struggling to reach it let alone hit it.

Not too sure what to make of my results to be honest, the blades just launched the ball much better, I guess it's against all the rules of golf equipment that a relative beginner can play better with blades rather than game improvement irons, I think I'm going to buy a ex-demo di9 just to test against the blades at the range, I think the burners have psyched me out now lol

In July I was where you are, I had some woods and a putter but no irons I could use. I went to a local store and talked to the pro. He fitted me loosely with an inexpensive set of clubs that fit my height and arm length. He then suggested I get some lessons. He then told me that when I had a decent swing, correct posture and tempo, in about a year, to come back and they would be able to fit me with a set of clubs. I took the lessons, got my setup squared up, my swing better and I've spent the summer and this fall to work on all these things. I'll continue working on those things come spring and then go talk with him to see if I'm ready for a better set of clubs. But you can't beat a good set of lessons, the Pro I used had a great deal 4 lessons for the price of 3.

I would agree and say the money would be better spent on lessons. Once you get your swing down and you like the swing and the scores you're getting, then I'd get some new clubs fit to your game.

Remember Grasshopper, the result comes from the indian, not the arrow.

Wisdom ftw^

^+1

Quote this post makes me think of:

The head of the iron in like the mag wheel of the car. The shafts are the engine. Get fitted for the right shaft, pick the head you like.

With that said, you need a consistent swing to get fitted. As a beginner your swing will change soooo much over the next year+. Get lessons, groove a good, consistent swing, then get new clubs.

Back