TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Kev with your 7 were you chipping or doing more of a putting motion? i started using my 6 iron for long chips that i want to roll a long way but i choke down and put the ball very close to my feet and in the back of my stance and do a long putting motion after just putting the toe of my club down on the grass. i was hitting a lot of decent shots with the R11s after some practice and realizing how much it was gonna roll out. Just another shot i added to my bag a month ago from one of my short game lessons. but my buddy uses a 7 with more of a regular chipping motion and that works well for him.

Those are some good thoughts, OEM. I tried to adopt the 7 iron chipping method earlier in this year, but I always struggle because the ball came off the face too hot for me. Do you typically use the AW or PW for chipping or is it something you see yourself using down the road with the R11's?

I'll actually use which ever will give me the needed roll out. When I took lessons either last year or the year before one of the things he taught was using everything from the 7 or 8 down. Use the same putting type of swing and learn the results and adapt as needed. That being said I don't like using the 7 either. It just wants to roll forever. I used to use the 8 a lot but now I've gone to using the AW and SW more. I like to practice them though and feel it's a good part of testing irons. I can definitely see using the AW more in this set as I liked what I saw today.

Those are some good thoughts, OEM. I tried to adopt the 7 iron chipping method earlier in this year, but I always struggle because the ball came off the face too hot for me. Do you typically use the AW or PW for chipping or is it something you see yourself using down the road with the R11's?

With respect to the R11 irons, I've been using different irons for chipping around the greens, mainly 9I-AW. While some may feel that the ball comes off "hot" off of these irons, once I put some practice in, I've been able to figure out my chipping distances and such.

As an aside, I've found that it's easier to put the same chipping stroke on the ball with different clubs to get different distances. This video from Youtube describes the "Rule of 12" method that is a good guide, although you may have to change it to "Rule of 13" to adjust to the stronger lofts on many sets of modern irons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

Buck I was doing the putting style chips. It's something I used to use a lot but got away from for some reason. Figured it was time to start again with some testing and see how they performed. I agree that once you get it down it's a great shot and easy to hit more consistently.

I'll actually use which ever will give me the needed roll out. When I took lessons either last year or the year before one of the things he taught was using everything from the 7 or 8 down. Use the same putting type of swing and learn the results and adapt as needed. That being said I don't like using the 7 either. It just wants to roll forever. I used to use the 8 a lot but now I've gone to using the AW and SW more. I like to practice them though and feel it's a good part of testing irons. I can definitely see using the AW more in this set as I liked what I saw today.

With respect to the R11 irons, I've been using different irons for chipping around the greens, mainly 9I-AW. While some may feel that the ball comes off "hot" off of these irons, once I put some practice in, I've been able to figure out my chipping distances and such.

As an aside, I've found that it's easier to put the same chipping stroke on the ball with different clubs to get different distances. This video from Youtube describes the "Rule of 12" method that is a good guide, although you may have to change it to "Rule of 13" to adjust to the stronger lofts on many sets of modern irons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

Thanks for the info, Ary. I think I could have got it down over time for sure. It's one of those things where I got out of my comfort zone and was a bit lost at first.

I love AW's in iron sets and I always find myself gravitating towards them around the green and I love the added forgiveness on those full shots when you're in close. It sounds like the R11 set has a solid one that people could get comfortable with really quick.

October 10, 2011
St Ives CC outside of atlanta
68* rain and wind
The Randy Smith Charity outing
R11 testing with KBS 90 Stiff
previous irons Srixon 701 tours with KBS Tours

Each year the trade show industry holds an awesome charity Golf outing for 10 deserving families of falling colleagues in my industry. Today was the 17th playing of the event and it was held at one of the most beautiful golf courses I have seen in a long while. Typical GA golf, bremuda/Zsosa fairways and bent grass greens. Today was a real treat to say the least.

I fly up from Orlando and was picked up by a co-worker and we headed to the course. I immediately settled into aspot at the end of the range next to a few friends. The rain was spitting at this time so it was easy to keep the grips dry. This was not the case later in the day, I will explain later. I warmed up with my 56* wedge to get loose and then moved to my R11 7iron. I am not sure it was the mats, the ball, the slight declining slope of the driving range or what. But the ball was sailing so high with each swing. I hit about 10 balls that were either straight or had a slight fade. All of them were towering shots. I have no idea how far they traveled but the flight was tight, high and what seemed long. I moved into the 5 iron and more of the same just longer. A friend of mine was drooling all over my 7 iron so I asked him to hit it.
He plays Callaway X18s with a 7.0 rifle shaft. His shot is a 30 yard draw that towers over most. The first thing out of his mouth was "these a lite"..I shook my head and told him to take a few cuts. He put his strong grip with low hands set up on the club and proceeded to throttle 5 ball off the planet. His draw was reduced to a 10 yard shot and the hieght of each shot was unexplainable. if I tried I would not be justice to what I saw from this man. He was easily hittin my 7 iron 190 on the fly. He asked if he could hit them on the course with me, I said sure. he ended up in a groove with his so he only took a few cuts on the course with my AW, I do believe he may be buying these clubs in the coming weeks.
By the time we reached our first hole the rain was coming down pretty good. Staying dry was my #1 priority so I could give the R11s a good test today. I hit an R11 on almost every hole. For the most part i hit them well and had a variety of shots. I'll highlight a few but the main thing I took away from the round was the performance of the clubs in the rain. I did not get any fliers from water on the face, they responded well to 3/4 and sawed off swings and they go a mile if you shut the face and come over the top. With steady rain on all but 7 holes ( our final holes) it was tought day with all the rain gear and 4 gloves.
My yardages where right where I expect them to be.
Highlights:

Spoiler
#17 - 7 iron out of a right side fairway bunker from 169 to a front right flag. The tree line was blocking a direct approach to the green so i required a cut or the left side of the green. This was my first attempt from a fairway bunker with these clubs. I tried the cut but the ball stayed left and end up 30' left and back of the pin.
#18 - 5 iron from 198 uphill to a front pin. I aimed right and tried to hit a draw that stayed dead straight and finished 15' behind the hole, eagle baby
#1 - right rough side hill lie. The rough was soaked from the rain and tried to play for a hook but got a straight ball with my PW that finished long a right of the flag. I do believe I caught a flyer.
#5 - AW from 117 that I put 10' left of the flag with some right spin. (one of my better shots of the day)
#6 - from the right rough to back left flag from 129 up hill. I played a beauty of a knock down that finshed 15' below the flag.
#8 - 180 back right flag, slightly down hill. I flushed a 7 iron at the right green side bunker, looking for a baby draw. Yep you guessed it I got a straight ball that carried the trap and end up in the right rough, pin high. I'll get some right to left movement one of these days.
#10 - downhill par 3, 186 downhill...sawed off 7 iron 12' over the flag. By far the best shot of the day. The ball started just left of the flag and gradually moved back and flew the pin.
#14 - 164 to a middle pin. 8 iron from the left rough that never drew in for me and ended up 30' right of the flag

So I am still not pulling off the right to left, the clubs performed great in the rain and my distances and shot selection is coming around. Not to mention that my VP was all over me asking questions about the clubs. He is still gaming DCI Blacks and wants new sticks. I am going to meet him in the AM at his club so he can hit mine. I think he may get a set off of two swings with my 8 irons. He never stopped chattering about them after those two swings that carried as far as his current 6 iron (160)

@Buck great post my man and one heck of a round. I enjoyed watching you AW video as well. I'm going to have to see the Bstone cavity up against the R11 for my self. The Bridgestone seems like a mauch sleaker smaller head. But I only got a quick look.
@Kevin great session with the chipping. Next time you chip with the 7 use a putting stroke but get the heal of club off the ground so that it on the bottom of the toe. Once the club is in this position use you putting stroke and I think you may find a more manageable shots. I'll post a video of this when back in Orlando later this week.
@CB I loved the FIL story, great to see these clubs just 'DO WORK, SON'. Now you're going to get beat by your FIL with clubs he bought after using yours. How does that feel..hehe
@ary thanks for the video bro...I may have to watch that a few times

I love the comparison pictures Buck. Overall good reviews in this thread by all. Pics, vids, and awesome writeups, what more could we want? Thanks again guys!

I was able to hit Buckjob's R11's last night and now after hitting his steel shafts and OEM's graphite shafts I can definitely say that I like the steel ones better. They just feel better to me and don't demand that I have a perfect swing all the time. That being said, I really liked the distance I was seeing with them not to mention the accuracy I was also seeing. Long and accurate? That's a pretty good combo.

Quite a production there Buckjob. The AW looks like it's really getting dialed in.

Liked the chipping routine OEM. I've chipped with the PW quite a few times and the 9i a few times. I don't like the way the ball jumps with anything higher, so I can see your dilemma with the 7i. Again, liked the write-up and demonstration.

@Tadashi: Wow, DCI blacks. He's in for some change if he hits the R11s. For the most part it looks like you had some great iron shots. I'll say it again, I just don't work these in either direction very much. Nice eagle BTW.

This thread just cost me $800! :banghead:
That's awesome! Enjoy the new sticks.

I was able to hit Buckjob's R11's last night and now after hitting his steel shafts and OEM's graphite shafts I can definitely say that I like the steel ones better. They just feel better to me and don't demand that I have a perfect swing all the time. That being said, I really liked the distance I was seeing with them not to mention the accuracy I was also seeing. Long and accurate? That's a pretty good combo.
It's really hard to argue that. Interesting and insightful thoughts on the graphite shafts. What do you think of the looks of them?

thanks biggsy! I think overall the R11's look like a great iron. Very similar to the TP CB's I tested which I liked but just didn't perform well for me. I think the graphite shafts of the R11's look like mini driver shafts and really add something to the overall look of the R11's. the red shafts pick up the red 'lug nut' in th eclub head and look pretty cool. The steel shafts present a nice and clean package as well but in terms of overall looks I'd give the nod to the graphite shafts.

It's really hard to argue that. Interesting and insightful thoughts on the graphite shafts. What do you think of the looks of them?

thanks biggsy! I think overall the R11's look like a great iron. Very similar to the TP CB's I tested which I liked but just didn't perform well for me. I think the graphite shafts of the R11's look like mini driver shafts and really add something to the overall look of the R11's. the red shafts pick up the red 'lug nut' in th eclub head and look pretty cool. The steel shafts present a nice and clean package as well but in terms of overall looks I'd give the nod to the graphite shafts.
Thanks Hanks! I know you haven't hit the R11s as much, but what do you think about the performance compared to that of the CBs?

So, in your opinion, the steel shafts seem easier overall to get better results? We've talked about having to be real smooth with the graphite shafts and a "more controlled" swing every time. Would you agree after hitting both graphite and steel?

I could put the R11's in my bag and not miss much of a beat. The performance of the R11's is better than that of the CB's in that the R11's are much more forgiving and I think they are longer too. I'd say by a club in remembering what the CB's gave me

Thanks Hanks! I know you haven't hit the R11s as much, but what do you think about the performance compared to that of the CBs?

Strictly speaking for my game and my game only....yes. I already have a ton of stuff in my head and thinking 'tempo tempo tempo' on shots other than driver would drive me insane. My swing and ball striking isn't always consistent but on the days that I'm swinging well and want to go after some shots I don't think the graphites would let me do that.

So, in your opinion, the steel shafts seem easier overall to get better results? We've talked about having to be real smooth with the graphite shafts and a "more controlled" swing every time. Would you agree after hitting both graphite and steel?

Thanks for the thoughts Hanks, interesting take on steel vs graphite. I hope to take some swings with Bucky's here soon for comparison.

Thanks for the thoughts Hanks, interesting take on steel vs graphite. I hope to take some swings with Bucky's here soon for comparison.
I think at this point, I'll have to agree that I need to swing both steel and graphite to see the difference for myself....Buckjob....send my your clubs for a while! OEM, seriously, if you and Buck get an op to get together, I'd love to hear what you both think after swapping.

I could put the R11's in my bag and not miss much of a beat. The performance of the R11's is better than that of the CB's in that the R11's are much more forgiving and I think they are longer too. I'd say by a club in remembering what the CB's gave me

Strictly speaking for my game and my game only....yes. I already have a ton of stuff in my head and thinking 'tempo tempo tempo' on shots other than driver would drive me insane. My swing and ball striking isn't always consistent but on the days that I'm swinging well and want to go after some shots I don't think the graphites would let me do that.

There is some good stuff in there Hanks.

We have two more converts to the R11s. I spent an hour with my VP at his club in Atlanta this morning working with him on his swing and game. We worked strictly with the R11s. He hit every club in my bag from the AW to the 4 iron.
Little background, he's been playing for 30 years and has solid action. He is a bit steep coming into the ball but plays a high ball with the driver and mid flight with the irons. Naked eye tells me his swing is at or just a little over 100mph with the driver. His irons I am not sure.
His first couple of swings were off the toe but still gave some positive feedback. The couple were on the screws. The ball started mid and slowly climbed to it's apex and fell onto the target. From our position his shots could not have been more than a few feel across. This continues through the set until we hit the 5&4 irons. These were a little more problematic. He kept pushing fading these for some reason. We made a slight adjustment and another before we put a bandaid on the problem. He will have to see his pro.
At the end of the season he simply said, 'I'm hooked'. He liked the feel, the weight, the sound of the ball and the look of the clubs. We will have a matched set in Vegas at the end of November.
The other convert sits in the office next to mine. He hit a few balls yesterday and was hooked. After a convo with the wife, he is ordering a set this week.
It's amazing to me that two people that swung these 1 time are buying them. It just confirms my feelings that this a quality set of irons that performs and responds to good swings. I'm looking forward TP Vegas to see who hits them better.

Kongfrontation

I think at this point, I'll have to agree that I need to swing both steel and graphite to see the difference for myself....Buckjob....send my your clubs for a while! OEM, seriously, if you and Buck get an op to get together, I'd love to hear what you both think after swapping.

Kev and i will def be getting together at some point soon im sure. Im interested in hitting the graphite although i dunno how they would work for my game.

Kev and i will def be getting together at some point soon im sure. Im interested in hitting the graphite although i dunno how they would work for my game.

I'd like to see you two get your swing speeds checked and compared. You guys have different action and swings but you both take healthy cuts at the ball. My point is I think you mat be surprised, IMO

Kongfrontation

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 10/11/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Bridgestone B330S
Testing Conditions- Sunny 75*
Location- Limerick Golf Course- 67.9/113 6019 Yards

got out this morning for a quick round. and honestly i was pretty upset i didn't play somewhere else because i was ON today. Although Limerick is a fairly easy course and i play there often because i can get on for $20 with a cart year round, today i was striking the ball well. As i got to the pro shop the guy who works there that i have become fairly friendly with told me they were aerating the greens today and some of the greens didn't even have holes in them. so i teed off of 1 and couldn't hit to that green cause they were working on that one the next hole was all backed up so i ended up skipping to hole #6 which was not aerated yet. A 130 yard par 3- smacked my PW right up to about 15' i would say i only left 1 shot today that landed on the green outside of 20'. Thats how good my irons were today. i ended up playing 13 holes and finishing on 18. i only missed 1 GIR which also was my only bogey of the day. it was #10 a 215 yard par 3 that plays a lot longer than that at least 225 yards and i hit my 2 hybrid just short of the green in the left rough and my chip with my AW went to about 10' which i missed that putt. and every other hole i used a R11 in for my approach shot except on hole 15 where i over shot the green with my second shot with my hybrid from 235 out and i chipped back up with my AW to 8' it was a long chip from a bad lie but i was happy with that result. but also ended up with a par. So i played 13 holes and shot +1. Everything today was great except my putting still isn't where i want it to be. i mean i don't expect to make all my 10' putts but it be nice to drain a couple here and there. and these irons are putting me close where i really feel like i have a chance to make those birdie putts. but at least im tapping in for a par. Kept my drives in play today and hit 7/9 fairways this has been my 2nd biggest improvement playing a safer drive or hitting a hybrid cause i feel so confident that i can get my 2nd shot on the green and at least 2 putt for a par. really an all around great round for me. I have had thoughts in my head a couple of times of me possibly finishing 18 holes at even par. but those were at my best rounds that were very rare. i think now with my GIR going up a lot i have more of a chance than ever. and even if its on an easy pretty open course like Limerick. it still would be par. I still can't believe how consistent my ball flight is i know exactly where to aim now all the time for every club and my gaps are closer so i can really pick 2 clubs per most greens and go for the flag or play it safe with either clubbing up or down. Anyway just thought id share this round even though i didn't keep notes or take any video or nothing. Just wanted to get out and enjoy the day because it looks like the rest of the week is gonna be wet .

Back