Are dress codes good for the game?

haha i would give u mine, but its too legendary. i kind of want another one though

haha i would give u mine, but its too legendary. i kind of want another one though

I am going to take a drive over to The Country Club (99 Ryder Cup) and if they are open I am getting one. I could certainly pick one up for you...

Our club has one of those ridiculously strict dress codes, and I'm fine with it. I like pushing the limits. 19" outseam and shirt tucked in? Fine by my--I'll wear very tight capris cut low enough that my hem barely stays inside. Polo shirts? No problem--those zipper fronts are fun. And on and on. It's like parents setting limits for teenagers.

But a tad more seriously, people should always look nice. I wish we could have dress codes for the rest of life as well.

As long as you look presentable (in my opinion), I don't care what people wear. Jeans shorts? Fine, if they are hemmed. Not cut-offs. If it's over 100 degrees out there and someon's wearing a sleeveless shirt? Fine, again, hemmed (or whatever word I'm loking for - - - not having the sleeves just torn off). Cargo pants? I can't believe those are not allowed in some places. Jeans? If you want to wear jeans to golf in during the heat of summer, have right at it. Just try to make sure they are like newer, dark jeans, not all faded! I don't care if you wear a nice t-shirt instead of collared, as long as it's tasteful. Be comfortable out there. As long as the clothes aren't frayed, it doesn't really matter. Caps, visors, gatsby's? All good. The kind that Jm Colbert (Senior tour golfer) wears? Fine by me. In fact, with the younger people, under 18 please, I don't even care if they wear their caps backwards, if they are out golfing and taking care of the course! Normally, my opinion is if you are over 10 and not a baseball catcher, you need to turn your cap around and wear it correctly! (Thank you, George Carlin).

I worry more about people taking care of the course than what they are wearing. I also don't think there is any correlation between how people dress and how they take care of the course. A lot of people think that, but I don't. I've seen it both ways. But if the course management allows it, I'm not going to B-M and C about it. I don't own the course. If I don't like it I don't have to golf there. I'll wear jean shorts at our executive course sometimes. I normally try to dress so that I know I won't violate a dress code if there is one.

Finally, I used to wear my hair to the middle of my back (I was a product of the hair bands of the '80s!). Never had a problem at any course I ever played at. Muni's or more upscale courses. The cart girls came up to me first, most of the time!

I am for dress codes. Sometimes I play at the city muni with some guys form work and well......... at least it is cheap. It feels like I'm way overdressed when I go there. Ah the city muni , where the greens are fast and the play is slow. lol

Charley Hoffman makes it happen!

t1_hoffman.jpg

familyGuy2006_Chris_f_1178542383.jpg

I agree with small. I think as long as you look nice and no worn out rags it is ok. It all depends where you play-I only play at public courses that are in the sticks and probably have no dress code but I still always look nice, if you play at private courses/clubs and they have strict dress codes that is there right, they want to maintain a certain image and you have to respect that.

I am for dress codes. Sometimes I play at the city muni with some guys form work and well......... at least it is cheap. It feels like I'm way overdressed when I go there. Ah the city muni , where the greens are fast and the play is slow. lol
I hear ya. Last summer I played golf with some people I work with and they basically showed up and played with their dirty work clothes, whereas I went and changed into my polo shirt and khakis. Talk about feeling out of place!

would I look out of place... haha

these may be the most obnoxious pants I own

3178789944_e056e20e94_b.jpg

If those are the worst you own, check out loudmouth golf. I love it bright and crazy

If those are the worst you own, check out loudmouth golf. I love it bright and crazy

you have to keep it stylish though... loudmouth just takes it over the top

All I gotta do is break of the Tam O'Shanter cap and the plus-4s and I got you beat. I dont wear them anymore though. You gotta have some pretty serious game to pull that look off and Im not to that point yet.

I'll get fully dressed for the range... that is how stupid I am!

I'll match top, bottoms, hat, shoes, outerwear... if I'm not playing well I look terrible

I love when people will stop behind me when I am hitting driver, even though I am not that long but you see those pants how could you not stop?

I like them, It's a break from dressing in street clothes everyday. I was actually at the range, and I had street clothes on, and it was really weird because they have little mirrors you can look at there, and because I wasn't dressed in golf clothes, my swing looked like crap!

Yea it definately feels weird in street clothes. Jeans the most i can't swing at all in them. Doesn't feel right, and i find the dress code brings the original class and imagery of when the sport was created. Now it's become such a fun thing for many golfers, i enjoy wearing something different anyways

i find the dress code brings the original class and imagery of when the sport was created.
Im pretty sure that the sheep farmers who invented golf didnt wear khakis and polo shirts...:confused2:

Im pretty sure that the sheep farmers who invented golf didnt wear khakis and polo shirts...:confused2:

Well im not talking about when it was just invented:p, but for like the past 50 years lets say the style sure has evolved futuristically etc. but kept a ellicate look more then the commen street style look.

p.s more then likely spelt "ellicate" wrong lol

p.s#2: I bet they made some nike polos out of sheep wool:clown:

Well im not talking about when it was just invented:p, but for like the past 50 years lets say the style sure has evolved futuristically etc. but kept a ellicate look more then the commen street style look.

p.s more then likely spelt "ellicate" wrong lol

p.s#2: I bet they made some nike polos out of sheep wool:clown:

Exactly. Sheep-Tek

or maybe it was Ewe-Fit.

Answer to question: yes.

Because while the original golfers didn't have dress codes, peoples' IQs have dropped since then on the subject and we now have to regulate good taste. I don't think the farmers didn't have t shirts that said "Bikini Inspector" or "Amateur G(I'm not even gonna type it)," or my favorite, ladies and gentlemen, just because the trousers technically stay on your waist and technically cover the important areas, doesn't mean you should wear that size or rise.

Josh has a new job and the dress code is stated as, "casual, but keep professionalism in mind." He asked if they really needed to say that last part but yes, yes they do. People as a whole are too incompetent to figure it out themselves.

Julie, where can I get a couple of these T shirts you mentioned? I have a buddy who is interested.

I think it's good to have a dress code, and I really enjoy dressing the part. I think it's fine for men to wear shorts on the course as long as they are appropriate golf shorts. I am not a fan of jean anything out there. I think women's skirts should be a modest length. They don't need to come to your knees but they should leave something to the imagination, we are not pole dancing out there we are playing golf. I like the idea of a dress code as long as it's not over the top strict.

Love those trousers, DD! I've got capris embroidered with crossed golf clubs, and a skort embroidered with bags. They're fun.

Loudmouth rocks! That's my idea of pushing the envelope.

To answer the original question. I'm not sure. There is a limit to everything. There are times when I go golfing that I do wear jeans and a t-shirt. But there are also times that I wear a polo and khaki shorts. It all depends on who I'm playing with and where we are playing. If it's a nice course (classified as paying over $30 for greens fees) then I've got a polo and khaki shorts/pants on depending on the weather. If its the local muni and I'm just out having a good time with my cousin then I'll wear jeans and a t-shirt. There are times that I even wear polos and khaki shorts to the muni. It just depends. A lot of times when I play in the summer it's after work on a Friday and since I wear jeans that's what I wear to the course. I was always taught that you wore a collared shirt to the golf course so that's what I try to wear when I go. That's not always possible so there are times that I don't. I'd say though that majority of the time I wear a polo.

Our club has one of those ridiculously strict dress codes, and I'm fine with it. I like pushing the limits. 19" outseam and shirt tucked in? Fine by my--I'll wear very tight capris cut low enough that my hem barely stays inside. Polo shirts? No problem--those zipper fronts are fun. And on and on. It's like parents setting limits for teenagers.

But a tad more seriously, people should always look nice. I wish we could have dress codes for the rest of life as well.

I think more women should wear zippered front shirts. :eek: :clapp:

Josh has a new job and the dress code is stated as, "casual, but keep professionalism in mind." He asked if they really needed to say that last part but yes, yes they do. People as a whole are too incompetent to figure it out themselves.

Do they really have to put caution sharp on the package of knives?? It's sad when you have to point out the obvious to people that should know better. We have a similar dress code here at my office. We had a girl show up one day dressed like she was going to work at the strip club right after work.

Similar to "coffee is hot". For many retail items they do it because they do not want to be sued.

Back to what Claire said....Have you ever noticed that back in the 70s and 80s, all the movies that showed the future had the people wearing uniforms and most of them were done with a silver onesy number. Maybe that is what we need. Not the silver onesy number, but people learning how to dress....hehe

Back