Are dress codes good for the game?

Have you ever noticed that back in the 70s and 80s, all the movies that showed the future had the people wearing uniforms and most of them were done with a silver onesy number. Maybe that is what we need. Not the silver onesy number, but people learning how to dress....hehe

Thinking of beer guts and thunder thighs in silver onesy numbers.... eeww! :sick:

A few years ago, the Batman Hallowe'en costume had a warning label on it that wearing the costume did not enable the child to fly. P.T. Barnum was right.

Claire,
That is funny.

A few years ago, the Batman Hallowe'en costume had a warning label on it that wearing the costume did not enable the child to fly.

Well of course not.

That's the Superman costume.

I think women's skirts should be a modest length. They don't need to come to your knees but they should leave something to the imagination, we are not pole dancing out there we are playing golf.
Im guessing you dont approve of the way Natalie Gulbis dresses? Her skirts leave very little to the imagination, but in her case, Id say thats a good thing. :drool: She needs to show a little more clevage though.

Im guessing you dont approve of the way Natalie Gulbis dresses? Her skirts leave very little to the imagination, but in her case, Id say thats a good thing. :drool: She needs to show a little more clevage though.

So all the women you see on your courses look like Natalie Gulbis? You'd want them all to dress like her (but with more cleavage)?

So all the women you see on your courses look like Natalie Gulbis? You'd want them all to dress like her (but with more cleavage)?

oh jeez, I just threw up a little in my mouth...

oh jeez, I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Exactly what I'm saying.

Oh, hey guys...saw the Ralph Lauren spring preview today, and I thought of your silver onesies!

(Best internet picture I could find, not from the runway and from earlier but you get the point...)
Cate%20Blanchett_15.jpg

I think that folks should wear trousers instead of jeans, and a collared shirt rather than a tee (a mock is fine). I don't care if they wear sneakers.

I think that folks should wear trousers instead of jeans, and a collared shirt rather than a tee (a mock is fine). I don't care if they wear sneakers.

not sure why someone would wear sneakers to begin with... golf shoes definitely have their purpose

not sure why someone would wear sneakers to begin with... golf shoes definitely have their purpose

For someone that only plays a few times a year, sneakers are fine. Sure golf shoes have a real purpose, but to the hacker who doesn't have a complete swing anyhow, there's no real benefit to them. At least they're not tearing up the course. :D

For someone that only plays a few times a year, sneakers are fine. Sure golf shoes have a real purpose, but to the hacker who doesn't have a complete swing anyhow, there's no real benefit to them. At least they're not tearing up the course. :D

I wouldn't be able to keep my footing, would definitely slip on the tee...

This is a good question, and discussion so far has been a great read. Here are my thoughts on it.

If you'd asked me when I was younger ('92-'00 or so) I would have been completely against any type of dress code. But I grew up as a 4 sport athlete through school and if I couldn't wear some type of athletic wear I'd have felt out of place. Also, I grew up in a very rural area so most people golfed in whatever they felt like. I remember being out in a basketball tank and shorts with my brooks cross country shoes. (God what a slob I was!)

Fast forward to today, and I'd be embarrassed to walk onto a course looking like I used to. Definitely a polo, and either khakis or appropriate khaki shorts if it's too hot/humid. Mocks look fine, as long as the temp warrants it. Golf shoes or sneakers, doesn't matter to me. I'll be in my Nike golf shoes, but not everyone likes the feel of a spiked shoe. A good pair of running shoes can still give enough grip and keep you planted, and they're extremely comfortable.

This is a good question, and discussion so far has been a great read. Here are my thoughts on it.

If you'd asked me when I was younger ('92-'00 or so) I would have been completely against any type of dress code. But I grew up as a 4 sport athlete through school and if I couldn't wear some type of athletic wear I'd have felt out of place. Also, I grew up in a very rural area so most people golfed in whatever they felt like. I remember being out in a basketball tank and shorts with my brooks cross country shoes. (God what a slob I was!)

Fast forward to today, and I'd be embarrassed to walk onto a course looking like I used to. Definitely a polo, and either khakis or appropriate khaki shorts if it's too hot/humid. Mocks look fine, as long as the temp warrants it. Golf shoes or sneakers, doesn't matter to me. I'll be in my Nike golf shoes, but not everyone likes the feel of a spiked shoe. A good pair of running shoes can still give enough grip and keep you planted, and they're extremely comfortable.

In all seriousness, one of my fears is looking back later in life at what I wore, and being embarrassed.

In all seriousness, one of my fears is looking back later in life at what I wore, and being embarrassed.

What are you talking about, child? You weren't even alive during the 70s. Do we need to say "Nik-Nik shirts" again?

That's funny Julie.

My Momma has school pictures of me (2 or 3 years in a row) wearing my favorite shirt:

BUGSGTTJVL_f.jpg

Oh the 80's! I miss them badly. LOL I'll have to see if I can find a pic of me with my David Coverdale hair. :banana:

Julie, you left out leggings and oversized sweaters. Not to mention football player shoulders on suit jackets! Come to think of it, I had some really bad perms in the '80s.

Julie, you left out leggings and oversized sweaters. Not to mention football player shoulders on suit jackets! Come to think of it, I had some really bad perms in the '80s.

I was around for a few years in the 80s, but those pictures, my lady, were "like, so" the 90s!

(Kind of look like the 80s, though, huh. Too much leak over.)

Actually I have nothing against her at all. She is a beautiful woman with one hell of a body. Sex sells, it's a fact of life, and hell if I had legs like her I would want to show them off all the time too. But I am just not sure it is appropriate on the golf course. IMO there is a place and time for everything and I am not sure a skirt so short her butt is hanging out is the right outfit for the golf course. I think she would look just as good with a skirt a few inches longer. As long as she has on something tight and form fitting, I am sure she will have millions of men still drooling over her.

If a woman has the body to pull of short skirts and she is comfortable dressing like that, why not.
There actually are quite a few woman at the local courses around here who are in her same league in terms of looks and if they wanted to dress like that, it would be perfectly fine with me (as long as they dont mind getting checked out all the time).
It might make it a little more difficult for me to focus on my game, but Id manage. :D

Actually I have nothing against her at all. She is a beautiful woman with one hell of a body. Sex sells, it's a fact of life, and hell if I had legs like her I would want to show them off all the time too. But I am just not sure it is appropriate on the golf course. IMO there is a place and time for everything and I am not sure a skirt so short her butt is hanging out is the right outfit for the golf course. I think she would look just as good with a skirt a few inches longer. As long as she has on something tight and form fitting, I am sure she will have millions of men still drooling over her.
True. I personally think her skirts are a little too short as well, but she knows that sex sells and she is playing it for all its worth.
Ive noticed how she struts around on the golf course, shaking what the good lord gave her.
Shes not stupid. She knows that she has a nice body, that sex sells and she is making the most of it.
I say good for her. Use it while ya got it.

Thats going to happen no matter what you wear. Im sure there are plenty of people who look at pictures of themself from the '70s, '80s and even '90s and think to themselves, "Oh my God, what was I thinking dressing like that???"
As Im sure you know, styles change and whats cool today will be totally uncool in the future.
I guess I dont take myself seriously enough that I would someday look back at what I wore and be embarassed.

Back