Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Alright, got some video to edit of my latest range session and I should get some course time tomorrow. Hopefully it will be slow enough to video. Now need to fireup iMovie or WMM2.0.

As for my range session...

10/19/11 - Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood (15* 3 wood)
Weather: 62*, Sunny-to-Overcast-to-Sunny-back-to-Overcast, soft ocean breeze
Place: Home, Home on the Range Mat
Changes: Getting used to new oversize WinnXL Grip

As I mentioned in my last update, I had the grip changed to match the rest of my set. During my previous session I didn't think it affected the feel of the club. After another bucket of balls, I'm sure of it.

I got into a good rhythm right after a little warm up. First with half swings (mediocre), then three quarters (good) and finally full-swings (on FIYAH!). I sincerely hope I can replicate this on the course next time I play. (tomorrow, fingers crossed) With the XL grip, my misses are pulls or unexpected draws and the occasional pull-draw. Any miss right was a baby fade. Otherwise, crush crushity crush. I was so happy.

Switching to my driver and hybrids were good, although my trusty Cobra Baffler no longer seems to suit me. Irons were good and my wedges were spot on.

A veeeeery good range session.

I also picked up some alignment sticks on the way back from an interview today so I'm looking forward to using them as well.

Looking forward to the videos D, its 40* and raining here again today with 40-50 mph winds, winter is blowing in FAST! Gone tomorrow though, 60's this weekend and I am playing a new course Saturday that is very nice so I am excited, its a little longer than my home course so the Heavy 5 Wood should get a workout.

Alright, got some video to edit of my latest range session and I should get some course time tomorrow. Hopefully it will be slow enough to video. Now need to fireup iMovie or WMM2.0.

As I mentioned in my last update, I had the grip changed to match the rest of my set. During my previous session I didn't think it affected the feel of the club. After another bucket of balls, I'm sure of it.

I got into a good rhythm right after a little warm up. First with half swings (mediocre), then three quarters (good) and finally full-swings (on FIYAH!). I sincerely hope I can replicate this on the course next time I play. (tomorrow, fingers crossed) With the XL grip, my misses are pulls or unexpected draws and the occasional pull-draw. Any miss right was a baby fade. Otherwise, crush crushity crush. I was so happy.

Switching to my driver and hybrids were good, although my trusty Cobra Baffler no longer seems to suit me. Irons were good and my wedges were spot on.

I also picked up some alignment sticks on the way back from an interview today so I'm looking forward to using them as well.

Glad the results are there for you after the grip change. I am guessing you prefer the WinnXL over the Boccieri grip a bit. Got any pics of that grip on the BGHW yet?

congrats on the awesome range session, good luck on the course tomorrow (first day its not raining, so its sloppy out here)

I had about 15 minutes after work to hit some balls on the range with the Heavy Wood and I was hitting it awesome today, I only hit about 20 balls but only 2 of them would of cost me on the course. Playing at 11am at a new course I will update after that round.

Geez, I've been living an interesting life the pass couple days! So with that very fun very time consuming delay, here are my first videos on the BGHW! I also got out for 9 holes and used the BGHW on 6 holes, so I'll write a quick post after this.

(I know, I'm far more excited about this than I should be.)

Nice videos D. Looks like you are hitting that 3W very well now with the grip adjustment. Maybe after life settles down we can get to on a course and see how it works there.

10/21/11 - Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood (15° 3 wood)
Weather: 68°, Sunny with a little overcast, soft-to-stiff ocean wind, planes taking off overhead
Place: Penmar Executive 9 in Venice California

Hole#1:par 4, 271y, probably playing 285 today, maybe a bit longer with wind in mah face!
D'OH! I hit a Roseanne, Fat and short! Get it out to about 200 left side of the fairway - I was standing in the rough, but ball on fairway. Thankfully I was playing by myself so no one had to hear my maniacal laugh after that. Fly the green, chip and two put for bogey.

Hole#2: Par 4, 338y (at this point I catch up with a twosome infront of me so no multi-ball as I had planned)
CRUSH the BGHW...unfortunately the big tree that sticks out into the fairway decides to sway in the wind and use the furthest, highest branch to knock my ball straight down. Actually, I thought the tree looked much more deliberate in its action, but whatevs. Fat a 8 iron to the front of the green, two putt for bogey.

Hole#4: Par 4, 288y
Hit the BGHW a bit thin, still get a nice face to just left of fairway with less than 50-40 yards to the green. (got a nice roll) Pitch to green, barely, BARELY miss the putt, two putt for par.

Hole#6: Par 4, 423y
Argh! Swing the BGHW clean with tempo but small push + small fade into the right rough. Darn! Thankfully wind at my back carried the ball far! Yay! Have a little more or less than 190y to the green. Ball is so deep in the rough, I use a PW to dig it out, advance ball to 100 yards and hit a super smooth 3/4 AW and drop an 8 foot putt for my par!

Hole#7: Par 4, 368y (twosome walk off after one gets a phone call, so I multi-ball)
Ball#1: Decent swing, slight fade, no wind to carry, but get a bit of a roll. I forgot to write down distance, here, but I hit a 8i, so I guess I was a ~130y-ish left. Lip out TWICE before making the last putt for bogey. ARGH!
Ball#2: Great swing, straight, no wind to carry and get a sweet bounce and roll. I was 120y-ish left. Smooth 9 iron to 20 feet - my alignment was way off. Three jack for bogey.

Hold #9: Par 4, 350y
Ball#1: Smooth and well hit. Got a great roll out leaving me with 120y to the green. PW into the wind short of the green. Flub my chip and two putt for a bogey.
Ball#2: Swung out of my heels. Rushed and also crushed ... into the maintenance yard. Ball lost.
Ball#3: Smooth and crushed. Flushed. Nutted. With roll, I was a crazy 90-95 yards to the green. I must have hit a freaking sprinkler cover or something! Rattle the flag stick with my AW left with a 3 footer for bird. Center of the cup. Nice way to end.

Nice videos D. Looks like you are hitting that 3W very well now with the grip adjustment. Maybe after life settles down we can get to on a course and see how it works there.

I sure hope so! Going to jump up north for an interview this week, but I felt pretty good about both of the final round interviews, so hopefully that burden will be off my mind soon!

sorry boys havent been out in a week thanks to weather and company from out of town, come hell or high water ill go out mon or tues

I played a new course yesterday and only had the chance to hit the Heavy Wood 1 time, the course was using temporary tee boxes whiched sucked because it made the course so much shorter and you never had a level tee box, was very dissapointed with this as this is one of the nicest courses in the area, fairways were also under construction so some par4's were turned into par 3's etc. That said I hit the Heavy Wood on my 2nd shot into a par5 and it was nearly perfect, my drive left me on the left side of the fairway and this dogleged slighty left so I needed to hit a draw around the dogleg which I did perfectly, my ball mark on the green was about 20 feet short of the pin and my ball snuggled up to about 10 feet past the hole. I missed the eagle but made my only birdie of the day here. The ball flight was nice and high and it just felt like it exploded off the face, this was from 225 out. I am going to get a updated picture up tonight of the face showing just how consistenly I am hitting the sweet spot with the Heavy Wood, its very surprising to me that I hit dead center of the face with this more than any other club in my bag. Backweighting works!

Had a good round this morning, not too much action for the 3W but did put in play a couple times.

On a Par 5, second shot, right at 250 to the green. Hit the Heavy Wood, dead straight with a nice piercing ball flight. Ended up being about 25 yards short of the green, leaving myself a good shot at a birdie (2 putted for par).

Used it off the tee on a straight away par 4, as I had been struggling with my driver. Had great distance, but had a strong fade on on it leaving me off the right of the fairway by about 10 yards. Even though I missed the fairway, still had a decent look at the pin.

Lately, I have been getting good results when hitting off the deck, but I have been slicing/pushing right off the tee. I am not sure what is causing me to have the slice off the tee and not the ground, but it's there. Hitting the heavy wood off the deck seems to be much easier for me, I hit a nice smooth swing, and practically just let the club do the work. I still feel that if I overswing with the Heavy Wood, the results are scattered all over the place.

I plan on getting a range session in tomorrow to try to get my swing back with the Heavy Wood from the tee. Will try to get some video of my swing from the tee vs off the deck to see what is causing the misses.

Just wanted to add some pics of where I have been hitting the Heavy Wood since getting it, I hit this club on the sweet spot 90% of the time which is way more than any other club in my bag besides putter lol. It is so easy to hit

heavywoodsweetspot.jpg

heavywoodsweetspot2.jpg

heavywoodsweetspot3.jpg

Great pics, 10y. I don't think my BGHW looks quite that nice! :beauty:

Got to play a round yesterday and used the BGH3w somewhat sparingly. Great weather, temp. in the mid 70's, clear skies and light winds.

Hole #1 - Used the BGH3w to tee off. No range to warm up on unfortunately so ball #1 was a low screaming slice into the woods, bye bye. Tee up another and hit a low screaming fade that didn't make it into the woods so playable at least.

Hole #2 - Teed off again and got the same low screaming fade into the right rough. Not happy with that swing at all. Retired the BGH3w to the bag, no more tee shots with it.

Hole #15 - long par 5. Used the BGH3w from the fairway about 250 yds. out. Hit a nice, mid-trajectory flight, draw to about 20 yds. short of the green and 10 feet short of the greenside bunker. Very happy with this shot.

That's the only swings I took with the BGH3w yesterday. We were playing the Senior tees because I was playing with a friend and his Dad for the first time so I mostly had short to mid irons into the greens. Only hit 1 hybrid all day long as well.

Just wanted to add some pics of where I have been hitting the Heavy Wood since getting it, I hit this club on the sweet spot 90% of the time which is way more than any other club in my bag besides putter lol. It is so easy to hit

heavywoodsweetspot.jpg

heavywoodsweetspot2.jpg

heavywoodsweetspot3.jpg

Man I wish I hit the sweet spot 90% of the time with my putter LOL, thanks for the pics

Man I wish I hit the sweet spot 90% of the time with my putter LOL, thanks for the pics

Its crazy dude every other club isnt even 50% hitting the sweet spot, something about how balanced the Heavy Wood is just makes me hit it so consistently

I'll agree with that statement. I don't think I hit the center of the face more with any club in my bag than the hybrid. Love that sound too!

I'll agree with that statement. I don't think I hit the center of the face more with any club in my bag than the hybrid. Love that sound too!

Its crazy, it has to be from the backweighting IMO. That is the only factor I can think off. I was just crushing the Heavy Wood on the range today, a lot of straight shots mixed in with a couple draws here and there. I really love the sound of this club, such a solid thwack with a little ting to go along with it. I am playing Saturday and Sunday so I should have some video if the weather is nice and the course isnt packed.

Its crazy, it has to be from the backweighting IMO. That is the only factor I can think off. I was just crushing the Heavy Wood on the range today, a lot of straight shots mixed in with a couple draws here and there. I really love the sound of this club, such a solid thwack with a little ting to go along with it. I am playing Saturday and Sunday so I should have some video if the weather is nice and the course isnt packed.

I've been in the bay area this week on a two-day interview and all I can thinking about is why the heck did I leave my clubs at home?!? Especially after reading the recent posts about the BGHW. I can't wait to get back to her!

sorry for the lack of posts lately, havent played in about 11 days, not to fear, got rounds fri/sat/sun and shoudl have plenty of chances for the 3W to report back on

Glad you are still seeing some great results with the Heavy Wood. I took it out on the range yesterday and was hitting very, very high up on the face and everything was slicing. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, then it dawned on me. I was trying to kill the ball. I was swinging so hard, that I was literally out of control.

After realizing what I was doing, I went back to the 3/4 swing with the Heavy Wood. Again, the results straightened out and I was making solid contact square on the club face. I have learned through testing the club, that a hard out of control swing really throws a wrench in to the designed technology of the back-weighting. Smooth, under control swing is needed, and let the club do the work. My issue here was that I wasn't seeing results, so I wanted to swing faster and harder to get it going where I wanted it to. Obviously, not the best decision I have had with this club. I have to remember that a 3/4 swing, keep it smooth, and the club will take care of the rest for me.

Glad you are still seeing some great results with the Heavy Wood. I took it out on the range yesterday and was hitting very, very high up on the face and everything was slicing. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, then it dawned on me. I was trying to kill the ball. I was swinging so hard, that I was literally out of control.

After realizing what I was doing, I went back to the 3/4 swing with the Heavy Wood. Again, the results straightened out and I was making solid contact square on the club face. I have learned through testing the club, that a hard out of control swing really throws a wrench in to the designed technology of the back-weighting. Smooth, under control swing is needed, and let the club do the work. My issue here was that I wasn't seeing results, so I wanted to swing faster and harder to get it going where I wanted it to. Obviously, not the best decision I have had with this club. I have to remember that a 3/4 swing, keep it smooth, and the club will take care of the rest for me.

This is what Im going to focus on tomorrow, especially when hitting off of the tee. It has been so up and down as of late that I think I hit a few good ones, get all excited and try to swing a little extra harder and get myself into all sorts of trouble (slicers the most).

See I have found just the opposite to be honest, I can go all out with the Heavy Wood and still get great results, sure I will hit some bad ones while doing it but I hit WAY more good ones than with any other club going all out.

See I have found just the opposite to be honest, I can go all out with the Heavy Wood and still get great results, sure I will hit some bad ones while doing it but I hit WAY more good ones than with any other club going all out.

Funny how peoples games/swings can be so different? What's your swing speed on driver 10yard? And if you had to guess, what would you think it would be with the Heavy Wood?

Funny how peoples games/swings can be so different? What's your swing speed on driver 10yard? And if you had to guess, what would you think it would be with the Heavy Wood?

man I really need to find out my SS lol, I really dont know, I would guess between 100-105 give or take, my normal distances are 250-260 with driver with some longer and of course some shorter. I really cant answer that second one, I have no idea lol

Back