What are you reading?

On my own I've been reading Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. For my English class I have to read a book independently each marking period that is from the AP list....any suggestions?? Please don't say Heart of Darkness because it is simply awful (dry and anticlimactic)

For the actual class, I've read "After Apple Picking" "Out, Out --" "Home Burial" and "White Phosphorous" recently....who knows what she'll throw at us next...
I just finished "The Crucible" for English class. It was decent, kind of slow though.

Last edited:
Just avoid Victor Hugo like the plague. Is Gastby on there?
On my own I've been reading Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella. For my English class I have to read a book independently each marking period that is from the AP list....any suggestions?? Please don't say Heart of Darkness because it is simply awful (dry and anticlimactic)

For the actual class, I've read "After Apple Picking" "Out, Out --" "Home Burial" and "White Phosphorous" recently....who knows what she'll throw at us next...

What's on the list?

Kevin

The Awakening
Invisible Man
The Great Gatsby
Brave New World
The Crucible
Animal Farm

I have read and can recommend all of these. Animal Farm is one of my favorites, and is a quick, relatively easy read. Gatsby is timeless. This list is missing some great ones in my opinion. No reason at all Catcher in the Rye and 1984 are not on there.

The Awakening
Invisible Man
The Great Gatsby
Brave New World
The Crucible
Animal Farm

I have read and can recommend all of these. Animal Farm is one of my favorites, and is a quick, relatively easy read. Gatsby is timeless. This list is missing some great ones in my opinion. No reason at all Catcher in the Rye and 1984 are not on there.
I have read 4 of the 6 above. I agree with JR that 1984 and Catcher in the Rye should be on there. I enjoyed them both very much.

Slaughterhouse 5, Walden, Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, Farewell to Arms, Lord of the Flies, Don Quixote all excellent reads.

Catcher in the Rye is on the list. That is a book that is suppose to be an American Classic, but I just never found it that compelling.

I think I'm going to start the Steve Jobs book

Tapatalk

Slaughterhouse 5, Walden, Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, Farewell to Arms, Lord of the Flies, Don Quixote all excellent reads.

Catcher in the Rye is on the list. That is a book that is suppose to be an American Classic, but I just never found it that compelling.

So it is, I missed it and To Kill a Mockingbird. I recommend those two as well.

Huck Finn
Native Son

Or you could read The Crying of Lot 49 and tell me about it. Or maybe Gravity's Rainbow.

Kevin

I like reading books while wearing only socks beside my fireplace.

Huck Finn
Native Son

Or you could read The Crying of Lot 49 and tell me about it. Or maybe Gravity's Rainbow.

Kevin

I thought we were friends? Huck Finn???? Ugh.

Funny, I do the same thing, though instead of a fireplace I turn my TV to the Food Network. Mmmmm, turkey.
I like reading books while wearing only socks beside my fireplace.

I just ordered the 40th Anniversary re-release of "The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty. I happened across a recent interview with him in which he discussed the phenomenon this novel and movie was back in the '70's. He's added a new character for the anniversary edition. Won't be able to have an early tee time the morning after I start this one.

Huck Finn rocks. Studied it in High School, and twice in College. Liked it all three times.

Kevin

Lord of the flies is an easy read. Then you can go sharpen a stick at both ends. To kill a mockingbird is an awesome easy read.

Tapatalk

I think I'll go with Animal Farm this time.....maybe try something longer next time when it is full blown winter and I have nothing to do.....like the crucible or Native Son

Native Son is pretty powerful stuff.

Kevin

Native Son is pretty powerful stuff.

Kevin

What's it about?

Lord of the flies is an easy read. Then you can go sharpen a stick at both ends. To kill a mockingbird is an awesome easy read.

Tapatalk

William Golding is on my enemies list...I hated LotF

Just downloaded the new Steve Jobs bio. That will keep me busy for a little while. TV has been unfulfilling lately.

Tapatalk

Just read the Call of the Wild, by Jack London. Solid book, although animal lovers beware!!

Reading US Geography for school. Really boring!!!!!!

Anybody read A Painted House? Terrific coming of age story by John Grisham

Excellent book, all of Grishams work is well written. Have you read Playing for Pizza or the Bleachers also great reads.

Currently reading a new author for me Carla Neggars, suspense writer. The Widow.

Back