Official 2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Since some teams open up their season this week, I thought I'd get this thread started. Lots of the stars from last year's college basketball season are returning this year, which should make for an exciting season. There are a number of teams that could cut the nets down in New Orleans in April. Here is the preseason AP Top 25 poll, I'm just going to pretend that the team dressed in baby blue is not the #1 team in the country. :wink:

AP Top 25
RKTEAMRECORDPTS
1North Carolina (62)0-01,620
2Kentucky0-01,501
3Ohio State (1)0-01,482
4Connecticut (2)0-01,433
5Syracuse0-01,338
6Duke0-01,301
7Vanderbilt0-01,120
8Florida0-01,086
9Louisville0-01,055
10Pittsburgh0-01,027
11Memphis0-0997
12Baylor0-0892
13Kansas0-0755
14Xavier0-0747
15Wisconsin0-0720
16Arizona0-0616
17UCLA0-0404
18Michigan0-0401
19Alabama0-0395
20Texas A&M0-0357
21Cincinnati0-0353
22Marquette0-0335
23Gonzaga0-0283
24California0-0230
25Missouri0-0139

Can we tie in womens bball here too so I can actually have a team that doesnt suck?

No womens allowed concept lol. sure i dont see why not but won't be many people talking about womens bball. Can't wait dude i'm so pumped for this season. UNC is stacked and not only talented but have experience. It's like 05 and 09 over again. All those teams were constructed the same. Looking to buy some tickets hopefully get UNC at UVA since its the closest and maybe get a game at UNC and make the 4hr drive and see them in the Dean Dome.

The game vs Mich St. on the ship is gonna be special.

Nothing can beat the Lady Vols! This is going to be a great year with the NBA gone more ncaa games will be on tv

No womens allowed concept lol. sure i dont see why not but won't be many people talking about womens bball. Can't wait dude i'm so pumped for this season. UNC is stacked and not only talented but have experience. It's like 05 and 09 over again. All those teams were constructed the same. Looking to buy some tickets hopefully get UNC at UVA since its the closest and maybe get a game at UNC and make the 4hr drive and see them in the Dean Dome.

The game vs Mich St. on the ship is gonna be special.

UNC vs Michigan State on the aircraft carrier will be interesting because of the venue, but maybe not the most competitive game. Duke at Ohio State on November 29 and UNC at Kentucky on December 3 are going to be 2 awesome non-conference games early in the season. Duke also plays in the Maui Invitational on the week of Thanksgiving, that field is loaded. Also in that tournament are Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA, and Tennessee.

I'm excited for this season.

Charlie

Duke sucks.

Austin Rivers is going to be a stud - LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Austin Rivers is going to be a stud - LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

A dude is Massachusetts is a Duke fan! That blows. I hate Duke more than anything. Carolina will kill them this year, and I'll be watching every minute of it. Rivers may be good but they can't stop our front court, in fact, I don't think anyone can. It's going to be a great year to be a Tarheel fan.

I hate Duke more than anything.
I'm a Kentucky fan so you can't possibly hate duke more than myself, as I'm reminded of how much I hate duke every year I get to see the Christian Laettner shot over, and over, and over during CBS promos.

My disclaimer is: I think UK is overrated at 2.

I'm a Kentucky fan so you can't possibly hate duke more than myself, as I'm reminded of how much I hate duke every year I get to see the Christian Laettner shot over, and over, and over during CBS promos.

My disclaimer is: I think UK is overrated at 2.

Stupid Laettner. Stupid Duke luck. I use to not mind Kentucky but I am no fan of Calipari. Austin Rivers just steps right in as yet another Duke point guard that annoys me (Hurly, Wojo, Jay Williams). At least he decided to go to Duke, that way he can be sure that he'll never amount to anything at the next level.

This is a cool thread Ary and I thought I'd share my Duke story. So growing up my Dad always coached baseball basketball and football at the local high school. He was the head baseball coach and asst. basketball and football coach. The head basketball coach was a man who had been there for like 40 years, kind of a legend. We all were kind of brain washed into being Duke fans because all of us who went to his basketball camps were told of Duke stories and were led to believe that our coach was friends with Coach K. He used to tell us that he worked "Mike's Camp" and stayed at "Mike's house", and we didn't really question it until we got older and realized how big Coach K was. Then as players for this coach, when we were older and in high school, we kind of got that questioning chip on our shoulders as in, " I bet they met once at an airport or something..." So we kind of stopped believing that they were friends and actually used to tease our coach about it. He took it well and would just kind of smile.

Fast forward to winter break during my senior year of college. My roommates and baseball teammates wanted to go look at law schools down South. They wanted to look at the U of Richmond, UVA, Duke, UNC, South Carolina and a hand full of others. I just wanted to go along and drink beer and chase beautiful southern girls. I mentioned that we were going on this road trip to my former basketball coach when I saw him around town one day, and he replied, "Let me call Mike and see if I can get you tickets." Of course, I know how tough it is to get Duke tickets at Cameron, so I just smiled and said thanks and I appreciate the effort, obviously not expecting anything.

Fast forward to the drive down, right outside of New Jersey. My cell phone rings, and it is my coach. He says, " Tim, I talked to Mike and your tickets will be at the Will Call window. Have a great time." Right now my friends and I are blown away. We have tickets to watch Duke at Cameron.

Fast forward again to game night. We are wandering around Duke, pretty much in awe of its beautiful campus and friendly people, and it is finally time to get our tickets. We go up to the Will Call window and I give the guy my name and ask him how much the tickets are. He replies, "You all are guests of Coach K tonight." So at this point I pretty much pooped myself I was so excited, as were my buddies. We go into the arena and the usher is this little old lady. We hand her our tickets and she looks at them and says, "Wow fellas. Who do you know at Duke?" We thought she was joking until she led us to our seats 1 row behind the Duke bench. It was ridiculous. We sat two rows in front of the AD from UCLA and next to (I sat between hahaha) J.J. Redick's sisters (they are twins and hot and went to somewhat nearby Campbell University).

So we got to see Duke play at Cameron, as guests of Coach K, 1 row behind the Duke bench. All thanks to a small town high school coach from MA who was much better friends with Coach K than I ever gave him credit for.

A dude is Massachusetts is a Duke fan! That blows. I hate Duke more than anything. Carolina will kill them this year, and I'll be watching every minute of it. Rivers may be good but they can't stop our front court, in fact, I don't think anyone can. It's going to be a great year to be a Tarheel fan.

hahaha I know but I have a good reason.

I don't mind Calipari, I just don't care for all the 1 and done he brings with him. Tough to win a national championship with guys you've only coached for a few months. Please in the future don't mention Hurley or I just might.

I don't mind Calipari, I just don't care for all the 1 and done he brings with him. Tough to win a national championship with guys you've only coached for a few months. Please in the future don't mention Hurley or I just might.

As someone who used to watch a program that he destroyed (all of them but I am talking about Umass), the guy is the devil incarnate.

Stupid Laettner. Stupid Duke luck. I use to not mind Kentucky but I am no fan of Calipari. Austin Rivers just steps right in as yet another Duke point guard that annoys me (Hurly, Wojo, Jay Williams). At least he decided to go to Duke, that way he can be sure that he'll never amount to anything at the next level.

You think Roy is done after this year?

I hate Duke more than anything. Carolina will kill them this year. Rivers may be good but they can't stop our front court, in fact, I don't think anyone can. It's going to be a great year to be a Tarheel fan.

Definately QFT.

As someone who used to watch a program that he destroyed (all of them but I am talking about Umass), the guy is the devil incarnate.
I just wish Pitino had never left. I think UK would have more banners, and Lexington would have more upset women. Ha ha.

ok, I can get behind a story like that. I don't blame you for being a fan. Coach K is a good coach. He's loyal and the epitome of someone you would want mentoring your teenage kid. I can openly admit that. But being born and raised in a blue collar household in the great state of NC, I don't root for anyone other than UNC, especially not the private institution known as DUKE. My best friend growing up was a massive DUKE fan, we use to go at it. When we were kids Duke and Carolina seemed to flip flop ACC championships year in and year out. I despised Danny Ferry, Laettner, Grant Hill, etc.

As far as Roy being done. I'm not so sure. Roy went to high school around here and I run in to his old high school coach all the time at the golf shop. We always exchange conversations about Roy and recruiting. This guy actually accompanies Roy on recruiting visits at times. I've heard that if he wins a Championship this year that he may consider retiring, but it's just a rumor I hope.

ok, I can get behind a story like that. I don't blame you for being a fan. Coach K is a good coach. He's loyal and the epitome of someone you would want mentoring your teenage kid. I can openly admit that. But being born and raised in a blue collar household in the great state of NC, I don't root for anyone other than UNC, especially not the private institution known as DUKE. My best friend growing up was a massive DUKE fan, we use to go at it. When we were kids Duke and Carolina seemed to flip flop ACC championships year in and year out. I despised Danny Ferry, Laettner, Grant Hill, etc.

As far as Roy being done. I'm not so sure. Roy went to high school around here and I run in to his old high school coach all the time at the golf shop. We always exchange conversations about Roy and recruiting. This guy actually accompanies Roy on recruiting visits at times. I've heard that if he wins a Championship this year that he may consider retiring, but it's just a rumor I hope.

I understand the Duke venom. Same deal here, one of my best friends in college was a UNC fan and we used to kill each other during the games. Even now, he'll call me randomly and just say " Duke sucks" and hang up haha. I think Roy is an unbelievable coach personally, and I hope he doesn't leave. I really like they type of coach he is and the respect he brings with everything he does. Absolutely the closest thing that UNC has had since Dean Smith. Not being from NC, I've always tried to get away with the "I love Duke, but don't really hate UNC position." I know that is kind of blasphemous for some, but on the same trip, we partied with the UNC basketball team (one of the guys who was with us, his twin bro played baseball for UNC and he introduced us) and Sean May bought us like 5 pitchers of beer, even though we were introduced as Duke fans. Really cool dude. All in all, I have to say NC is one of the, if not THE coolest state.

I understand the Duke venom. Same deal here, one of my best friends in college was a UNC fan and we used to kill each other during the games. Even now, he'll call me randomly and just say " Duke sucks" and hang up haha. I think Roy is an unbelievable coach personally, and I hope he doesn't leave. I really like they type of coach he is and the respect he brings with everything he does. Absolutely the closest thing that UNC has had since Dean Smith. Not being from NC, I've always tried to get away with the "I love Duke, but don't really hate UNC position." I know that is kind of blasphemous for some, but on the same trip, we partied with the UNC basketball team (one of the guys who was with us, his twin bro played baseball for UNC and he introduced us) and Sean May bought us like 5 pitchers of beer, even though we were introduced as Duke fans. Really cool dude. All in all, I have to say NC is one of the, if not THE coolest state.

Finally! Someone around here with some sense. And we have awesome bbq!

Poor old Sean May. He was so good in college. A true double/double machine. Too bad his knees gave out.

I am kind of kicking myself for not getting UNC Basketball Tix this year. It's just so hard to make it to >15 games.

Finally! Someone around here with some sense. And we have awesome bbq!

Poor old Sean May. He was so good in college. A true double/double machine. Too bad his knees gave out.

Seriously. He was one of the nicest guys I have EVER met in my life. He sat and drank and chilled with us for over an hour. I mean this was a guy who was going to be a first rounder, hanging out, and buying beer for 5 random massholes hahaha. And your ladies are gorgeous as well. I spent 3 nights in the Library (that bar on main street) trying to take home a southern belle (they weren't having it haha)

Duke fan since old Johnny Dawkins rocked the short shorts. Not a hater of NC ball. I watch them take down mighty Georgetown and bis versa. Some of the greatest college games have involved NC and Duke. When I was younger I still liked both teams but if you as me to wear a cap I'm putn Duke on the head.

I love this thread. Diehard unc fan but also college bball fan. I hope Roy doesn't retire. If he does they need to bring in someone who will run the same offense.

Yes ary i agree uk n unc and osu n duke are far more exciting then unc n mich st.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back