Driver Spin Causes

Right now my best swings are around 3,500 and I have never seen anything lower than that. It's all me and I've realized it's not going away unless I get some help.

Will do, Ary. I was reading on my phone earlier, so I didn't watch. Thanks again :)

Watched the video and I liked it. Thanks for the reading material as well. Gotta love THP. Always some enlightenment!

Hawk, here are 2 articles written by the golf pro that also did the video that I posted above. I like how he explains things, so if you want some more tips in visual form, check these out from his blog:
http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2011/11/hitting-up-or-down-heres-how-to-set-up/
http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2011/08/getting-more-out-of-your-driver/

Good tips, but when I try to hit up by tilting my spine back with the driver I end up hitting the ground first. I tee the ball up fairly high. What am I most likely doing wrong?

Good tips, but when I try to hit up by tilting my spine back with the driver I end up hitting the ground first. I tee the ball up fairly high. What am I most likely doing wrong?

Try hovering the driver at address.

The loft on any club, even a 1 iron, is enough to generate some back spin whether you are hitting up slightly or down on it but if you hit up on it enough to create top spin then the ball is definitely not going to go up, that is a top or a worm burner at best. De-lofting the club by hitting down on the ball with a driver requires higher lofts. Phil or Bubba can use a 5 or a 6 degree loft driver because they are sweeping the ball more level at impact and getting the full benefit of the loft they have without creating unnecessary backspin with a down strike.

I just have a question about the videos. So if I close my stance 4-5 degrees for a driver to hit it on the upswing, should the club face be perpendicular to the target line? Similarly should the club face be perpendicular to the target line when hitting down on the ball with a slightly closed stance? This is assuming I'm trying to get a straight or slightly push/draw ball flight.

Dumping your leverage. Need to hold the angle longer through impact. If you lose that angle the club will bottom out and you'll stub it into the ground.

I was hitting the G20 today. I was seeing smaller spin numbers. Between 2800 and 3400 rpm. I switch to a i15 and was seeing spin numbers from 2400 rpm to 2800 rpm. And to no one's surprise, I was seeing much better over all distances with the rollout.

What about the carry, BG? I was able to get good distance from the Z-Star even at 4k, primarily due to a lower launch angle and the dry conditions at the time. The problem was that I suffered just the same if 1) conditions were wet 2) I hit the taller grass. I'd rather have the carry any day.

What about the carry, BG? I was able to get good distance from the Z-Star even at 4k, primarily due to a lower launch angle and the dry conditions at the time. The problem was that I suffered just the same if 1) conditions were wet 2) I hit the taller grass. I'd rather have the carry any day.

Hey hawk I stumbled into something over the past few days and wanted to see if you've tried this.

The black has a fairly high spin rate and I've been searching for a way to lower it a little bit. I noticed when I tee'd the ball either fairly low or in the upper third of the face I was getting a much higher ball. Of course height doesn't always equal spin but... When I switched to teeing with maybe a quarter of the ball above the crown I instantly saw a lower launch with better carry and the ball flights apex was visibly lower. Not sure what it changed mechanically but the results were solid.

Hope this made some kind of sense to someone other than me!

The carry was about the same +/- 5 yards. I was seeing a much more boring ball flight, even with similar launch angles. I have been retooling my swing. So the swing speed has been a secondary concern behind consistancy and ball flight. The i15 had a UST Prolaunch Tour in it as well. It was much heavier than I was used to. My swing speed was considerably slower by 3-4 mph. But my distances were better with it. I was seeing 30-40 yards of rollout with the UST Prolaunch Tour.

Hey hawk I stumbled into something over the past few days and wanted to see if you've tried this.

The black has a fairly high spin rate and I've been searching for a way to lower it a little bit. I noticed when I tee'd the ball either fairly low or in the upper third of the face I was getting a much higher ball. Of course height doesn't always equal spin but... When I switched to teeing with maybe a quarter of the ball above the crown I instantly saw a lower launch with better carry and the ball flights apex was visibly lower. Not sure what it changed mechanically but the results were solid.

Hope this made some kind of sense to someone other than me!

It does makes sense to me, though what I've seen on the monitor is that it tends to alter my launch more than my spin.

Ary - I tried some of the tips in that video with mixed results. I honestly felt bunched up and had a hard time getting my shoulders turned for some reason. Obviously not doing something right. I did hit some nice balls, but it felt real weird and I had some ugly misses too.

I was really concerned with my numbers on the sim. I think I remember seeing one of my swings at 135 ball velocity, ss 101 (which I thought was weird), launch angle at 9* and sping at 3800 rpm. Needless to say, it ballooned on me.

That is a very poor ratio. What ball are you testing with?

Also, with a 101ss, your launch angle should be about 12*, if I remember correctly.

That is a very poor ratio. What ball are you testing with?

I know it's a poor ratio. I may even be misremembering my numbers. That is very possible.

It was a ball that they just had laying around in their sim. It was beaten to hell.

I know it's a poor ratio. I may even be misremembering my numbers. That is very possible.

It was a ball that they just had laying around in their sim. It was beaten to hell.

If that's the case, I wouldn't put much stock into you LM numbers.

If that's the case, I wouldn't put much stock into you LM numbers.

I was not hitting my gamer ball. I put some stock, but not much into those numbers. I have seen my buddy hit a 300 yard 3wood (no more than 260 on the course) and another guy hit a 240 yard 7-iron in that same simulator.

I was not hitting my gamer ball. I put some stock, but not much into those numbers. I have seen my buddy hit a 300 yard 3wood (no more than 260 on the course) and another guy hit a 240 yard 7-iron in that same simulator.

That sucks. If it's indoor, into a net, take a couple sleeves of your ball next time. I would think they would let you do that.

That sucks. If it's indoor, into a net, take a couple sleeves of your ball next time. I would think they would let you do that.

I'm sure they would. Contrary to some beliefs and experiences of others, the Golf Galaxy and Dick's by are good people.

Hey everybody - Look at the swing issues I'm dealing with. Granted this was not with my driver, or my golf balls. But an i15 with a UST Proforce 69g Stiff Flex. But still, gross.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMTEyMDUtMTYyOC5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everybody - Look at the swing issues I'm dealing with. Granted this was not with my driver, or my golf balls. But an i15 with a UST Proforce 69g Stiff Flex. But still, gross.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMTEyMDUtMTYyOC5qcGc.jpg

How many of those were "sweetspot"? What happened on the 2nd one?
ss.....ball....ratio
92.8 133.9 1.44
96.1 130.3 1.36
91.5 137.0 1.50
90.3 140.1 1.55
90.5 141.9 1.57

Never seen a ratio higher than 1.50 ???????????

How many of those were "sweetspot"? What happened on the 2nd one?
ss.....ball....ratio
92.8 133.9 1.44
96.1 130.3 1.36
91.5 137.0 1.50
90.3 140.1 1.55
90.5 141.9 1.57

Never seen a ratio higher than 1.50 ???????????

How man of those were sweetspots? Tell you the truth, I don't remember. None of them felt bad.

Never seen a ratio above 1.5? That's because you haven't met a person who's as much man as I am...:alien:

Back