Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late TD pass by Delta State. 49-23 with 29 seconds left.

They mentioned their QB graduated in 3-1/2 years with a 4.0 GPA. Didn't mention what his major was, but to get 4 years of credits in 3-1/2 years as an athlete is something.

And it's on to Florence next Saturday. 49-23 final.

As I said earlier Smallie, you should be the favorites next week, just need to play like you are capable and win the championship.

As I said earlier Smallie, you should be the favorites next week, just need to play like you are capable and win the championship.

Agreed. They're playing amazing football right now. Congrats!

Thanks guys, I've really worked hard this year. hehehe.

But yep, they will definitely be favored next weekend.

My Georgia Southern Eagles are one step closer to a record 7th National Championship! We beat Maine today, and it was our last home game. Heading to North Dakota for the semis, and if we win, we go to Frisco, TX for the Championship! It's been a fun ride, and campus is buzzing with excitement!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The more I read and learn about RG3 the more I like this kid. What a great kid. Sure is nice to see what appears to be the good guy win for once.

I really thought Andrew Luck had this one. I am glad RG3 won it, but I was surprised that Luck didn't.

In case you missed the play by play last night:

Bama Bound: No. 7 Gorillas Punch Ticket to Florence With 49-23 Victory

PITTSBURG, Kan. -- No. 7 Pitt State road the wave of a 28-point second quarter to a 49-23 victory over No. 8 Delta State Saturday (Dec. 10) to advance to the 2011 NCAA Division II National Championship. The Gorillas (12-1) will face unranked Wayne (Mich.) State at Braly Field in Florence, Ala., in the season's ultimate game. The Warriors (12-3) posted their fourth straight road playoff win in their first appearance in the national playoffs to reach the title game, defeating Winston-Salem State, 21-14, Saturday.

John Brown sparked Pitt State early, returning a punt 43 yards for a touchdown after the Gorillas defense forced a quick three-and-out. Zac Dickey completed 12 of 22 passes for 168 yards and two scores for the Gorillas. He tossed a 30-yard TD pass Jon Thomas as well as a 38-yard scoring strike to Brown in in a two-minute stretch of the second quarter to turn a 14-13 lead into a 28-13 margin. Eighteen second later following a Delta State fumble, Andrew Castaneda threw a double pass to Levi Kuntzsch for a 36-yard score and a 35-13 lead.

The Statesmen (11-3) couldn't recover in the second half.

The Gorillas overcame five turnovers -- four fumbles and an interception -- to force six takeaways themselves on three interceptions and three fumble recoveries. Pitt State also limited Delta State to one of six on fourth down conversions, twice holding the Statesmen in the red zone -- the final time at the PSU 1 with 3:28 to play in the game.

Nate Dreiling logged a game-high 18 tackles with 4.5 TFLs, a quarterback sack, a forced fumble and an interception. He led a Pitt State defense that limited the Statesmen to 58 net rushing yards and forced Harlon Hill Trophy finalist quarterback Micah Davis into a 27-for-58 passing night with four sacks and three interceptions.

Delta State did outgain the Gorillas, 465 to 450 yards, in the contest. Though Delta State gained 15 more yards and ran 40 more plays from scrimmage, the Gorillas offense was helped by a strong defensive effort. Pitt State's defense allowed only one Delta State offensive touchdown and three field goals. The Statesmen's additional score came from a return on a blocked punt. The defense also added a touchdown to the Gorilla scoring effort as Paul Robinson returned an interception 91 yards for a score.

Three Pitt State backs -- Jeff Seybold, Jason Spradling and Dickey -- each gained 55 or more yards rushing. Seybold had a team-leading 58 yards, with Spradling (57) and Dickey (55) close behind. Dickey was 12-for-22 for 168 yards and two touchdowns passing on the night. He also threw one interception. Drew Castaneda also threw one pass for a strike on the night.

Pitt State advances to the Division II National Championship game for the fifth time in school history. The Gorillas captured the 1991 national title and finished as the national runner-up in 1992, 1995 and 2004.

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/home/detail.dot?id=404494

Mike Dyer suspended for Auburns bowl game. Word I'm hearing is that he has played his last game for the Tigers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Dyer suspended for Auburns bowl game. Word I'm hearing is that he has played his last game for the Tigers.

WTH! Any word on the reason yet? I was looking forward to watching him.

From al.com http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/12/auburn_suspends_leading_rusher.html

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn has suspended All-SEC running back and 1,000-yard rusher Mike Dyer for its Chick-fil-A Bowl game with Virginia for a violation of an undisclosed team rule.

Dyer was easily the most consistent offensive player on a team that changed starting quarterbacks in midstream and played the middle portion of the season without its two top receivers, who were injured.

Multiple sources have confirmed Dyer won't play in the game.

Dyer is the first Auburn player to rush for more than a 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons. He is one of five Auburn players to ever rush for 1,000 yards in two consecutive years.

Dyer has more total yards than any Auburn player and ends his year with 1,242 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns. His 1,093 yards last season were an Auburn freshman record.

He was voted to the coaches and Associated Press All-SEC teams during this past week. He was named the offensive MVP in last season's BCS title game when the Tigers won the national championship.

Dyer's rushing total this season easily surpasses No. 2 rusher Onterio McCalebb, who has 532 yards and four touchdowns; as well as quarterback Kiehl Frazier, who has 272 yards and one touchdown and freshman running back Tre Mason, who has 97 yards and no touchdowns.

On a team short of running back depth, Mason is likely to assume Dyer's role as the power tailback for the bowl game. He has 19 carries this year.

"My time to shine," Mason tweeted over night.

Dyer's 242 rushing attempts are almost half of the team's 492 carries. He has 10 of the team's 16 rushing touchdowns.

I hate that w.e, Dyer is the real deal. He is fun to watch.

I hate that w.e, Dyer is the real deal. He is fun to watch.

Saw that article earlier. Talked to a friend of mine who works in the Athletic Department a while ago to see what I could find out. I found out some disappointing info, and hate to see a guy like Dyer head down the wrong path. From what I know, we've seen the last of him in an Auburn jersey, it's a shame because with another solid year next year he would be in good position for a high draft pick.

Fortunately, Mike Blakely is on the team, and has had a year in the system and will be chomping at the bit to take on the workload next year. Tre Mason will take over for Dyer in the bowl game, and that guy is lightning in a bottle.

Packed house! Looks like a tremendous atmosphere.

Always appreciate the level of football at the DII and DIII levels. Congrats!

Saw that article earlier. Talked to a friend of mine who works in the Athletic Department a while ago to see what I could find out. I found out some disappointing info, and hate to see a guy like Dyer head down the wrong path. From what I know, we've seen the last of him in an Auburn jersey, it's a shame because with another solid year next year he would be in good position for a high draft pick.

Fortunately, Mike Blakely is on the team, and has had a year in the system and will be chomping at the bit to take on the workload next year. Tre Mason will take over for Dyer in the bowl game, and that guy is lightning in a bottle.
War Eagle- from a strictly football standpoint, this is the one position that AU could absorb a loss (McCaleb, Mason, Blakely, even TJ Yeldon is enrolling in Jan.) but I still hate to hear this because Dyer has all the talent in the world. I wondered about his decreased role in the offense this year- coaches may have known something?? Hope he lands on his feet.

War Eagle- from a strictly football standpoint, this is the one position that AU could absorb a loss (McCaleb, Mason, Blakely, even TJ Yeldon is enrolling in Jan.) but I still hate to hear this because Dyer has all the talent in the world. I wondered about his decreased role in the offense this year- coaches may have known something?? Hope he lands on his feet.
You are correct, we can absorb a loss at RB. Just hate for that loss to be Mike, he has some serious talent, but major attitude problems. From talking to some folks last night, apparently he is quite the "it's all about me" type of player and has a poor attitude in the locker room. Most people dont realize this, but Dyer is the #2 tailback behind McCalleb, and was never once announced as the starter as the Coaches said that if he wanted to be the starter, he needed to be a leader.

Turned down $3mil/year at Vandy last year and goes to Arkansas State for 750k/year. He took a significant pay cut to go be a head coach there, but from what I hear is that he will be bring in "his guys" as his assistants at Ark State.

After the season, Chizik said he would evaluate all the coaches, top to bottom. Roof left and went to UCF and Malzahn left and went to Ark State. Malzahn was up for the UNC and Kansas job, but the youtube of his crazed wife wasnt helping him get those jobs, to say the least. I think Chizik was ready for a change in philosophy on offense, because as you can see from the Offense this year, the hurry up no huddle isnt as effective when Cam Newton isnt behind the center.

Last edited:
He took a significant pay cut to go be a head coach there, but from what I hear is that he will be bring in "his guys" as his assistants at Ark State.

I hope his guys are cheap as well. Damn. So who is Auburn looking at for OC?

I hope his guys are cheap as well. Damn. So who is Auburn looking at for OC?

That's the million dollar question...literally. I haven't heard much, but trying to find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Todd Graham quits and bolts to Arizona State?

Right. Worst of luck, Todd. Hope your career is a colossal failure. Scumbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back