The Inside Approach

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
I picked up this aid last year from Kmart. It was on clearance for $8. I was very supprised at how well this works. It cured me of the out to in path. The DVD is very well done. Also has and endorsed by Nicklaus. I use it in the beginning of the year to tune up with. Has anyone used it here on THP ?

http://www.intheholegolf.com/store/ia.html?gtse=goog&gtkw={keyword}&gclid=CJXpo6CP5acCFQjd4AodMzLv9g

I have this training aid :) It's a great concept and I really liked the video. I should try it again but I noticed at the top of my backswing I was doing odd things to keep from hitting the pad. Maybe it's worth another shot. I got real frustrated after a few weeks because I wasn't coming over the top but I was in shambles with fat shots. I don't thnk I really followed the directions well or put it to use as well as I could have.

always thought about trying this thing, never knew if it was worth it

I picked one of these things up on eBay for $5 and it had been sitting in my garage...took it to the range yesterday...I hit 5 balls with my normal swing and they all hade a pretty good cut to them....moved the inside approach over and first swing a mid height ball flight with a hook!

I proceeded to hit a whole bucket of balls and never once hit the pad, but was hitting draws...hello where did that come from? I guess it was a visual thing because I never hit the pad...but after my short game practice I teed up once last ball with the driver...no IA training aid and went right back to hitting a cut!

Must be a muscle memory thing...I'll keep training with it and see how things go

At that price, TBT, I'll be getting one too if I can get the same deal you did!

I accomplished the same basic idea by placing large objects just outside my club at address, that way I wasn't able to come from the outside. It played a big part in getting rid of my OTT swing and getting rid of my slice. It takes some repittions till it becomes ingrained but it certainly worked for me.

I accomplished the same basic idea by placing large objects just outside my club at address, that way I wasn't able to come from the outside. It played a big part in getting rid of my OTT swing and getting rid of my slice. It takes some repittions till it becomes ingrained but it certainly worked for me.

like what kind of objects ?
how far away from the ball ?

Thanks !

Start off with something soft. A plastic range ball bucket, headcover, or even a tee works well. You can build up to harder things if you really want to ingrain it in your head. I would put it as close to my clubhead as I could on the oustide without hitting it during my takeaway. I'll try to get a video of it next time I'm at the range.

At the driving range a friend was putting his balls just in front of the rubber tee that's on the mats to make sure he was swinging inside out. Its soft and already there for you.

if you work with alignment sticks at all there are several ways you can accomplish the same thing.
1). lay the stick on the ground parallel to your target line but 2-3" on the other side of your ball and hit shots without hitting the stick.
2). stick the stick in the ground at an angle so that the end of the stick is about 4" off the ground place your ball under the stick and hit shots from there.
3). place a stick upright in the ground about 10" behind the ball and a couple inches on the other side of the line and hit shots without hitting the stick.

I have an inside approach that I use periodically but usually forget to take when I practice, but almost almays have 1 or 2 sticks in my bag.

Turn and rotate going back, never lift up or wobble off the ball going back, make sure your back elbow (right elbow if right handed) is tucked into your side on the way back and also on the way down. Aiming the butt end of the grip at the ball as you come down into the ball will also help prevent casting or coming over the top. If you don't have a death grip on the club the weight of the club will move your hands back to the position you started in at address.

At the driving range a friend was putting his balls just in front of the rubber tee that's on the mats to make sure he was swinging inside out. Its soft and already there for you.

This is what I do. It works great!

Looks like a good idea if you slice but if you hook....?

I just wanted to post that the Inside Approach may very well have saved my sanity this past week.

As I have posted in a couple other threads, a nasty slice was working its way into my swing in late December. By last week it had developed into a full blown shank. I sent some video of my swing to my swing coach, and he noticed a couple things right away, but I was really struggling to get the club started on the right swing path.

Then I remembered that I bought the inside approach many, many years ago. I set it up on my mat at home and hit balls into a net. Right away I was hitting the sweet spot. Took it out to the range this weekend, and the results were fantastic. At first I was able to hit balls using the inside approach, but as soon as I started swinging without the device there it was back to hosel rockets. I finally got things grooved and was able to take off the training wheels.

It may not be for everyone, but if you are swinging outside the target line and are reasonably familiar with your own swing, it can really help out.

Oh, and if you're hooking the ball, they have something for you, too. Turn the inside approach around, and place it by your back foot (right foot for right handers). The foam thingy should be outside your toes, and pointing backwards, parallel to the target line. If your club hits the foam thing on the downswing, then you are swinging too flat

I asked my swing coach a couple of years ago if this would be a good training aid to buy. He sais yes, but I can give you something that will work just as well. He went to shop and brought out a shoebox and put it a couple of inches outside the ball, and had me take a swing. If you come from outside in, or over the top, you'll hit the box every time. I destroyed a few shoeboxes over the next couple of weeks, but it worked!

I asked my swing coach a couple of years ago if this would be a good training aid to buy. He sais yes, but I can give you something that will work just as well. He went to shop and brought out a shoebox and put it a couple of inches outside the ball, and had me take a swing. If you come from outside in, or over the top, you'll hit the box every time. I destroyed a few shoeboxes over the next couple of weeks, but it worked!

I used to just use the range ball bucket....the old metal ones, not the newer plastic ones....but the inside approach gives you a much more dramatic visual image. I place the ball so far under the foam arm that I cannot even see it. The arm helps you with alignment, too, so you know everything is set up correctly. I found that when I used a range bucket, I would ever so slowly shift my aim to the right so that the bucket was less of a hindrance to coming over the top. There's no cheating with the inside approach.

Back