WINE enthusiasts?

awesome. Barolo is a great varietal. It is referred to as the "wine of kings" in Italy. It has a very distinct taste. Excellent wine generally, and quite expensive on average. I am cooking Ossu bucco tomorrow night and might have to grab a bottle of this.

Silver Oak Alexander Valley is on standby.

awesome. Barolo is a great varietal. It is referred to as the "wine of kings" in Italy. It has a very distinct taste. Excellent wine generally, and quite expensive on average. I am cooking Ossu bucco tomorrow night and might have to grab a bottle of this.

Silver Oak Alexander Valley is on standby.

Very cool chingador. Hopefully I'll hang around here long enough to learn a thing or two from you!

Barolo has def been a good wine to me, and this specific one was awesome. Best of luck with your Osso bucco - that is one of my favs, but would never think to tackle it myself!

thanks, but at this point, my knowledge is limited to "knowing what I like". For the most part, I hope we can help each other out and point out some good wines to buy and some dogs to avoid. Hey, if you know of and appreciate Barolo you are way ahead of the pack. Great stuff. I have been out of the wine business for almost 17 years now and miss a lot of stuff and do not keep up with a lot of things like various vintage quality and hot labels. Pretty much have to stumble on some new things which requires a lot of suffering through disappointing wines. Latest disappointment was Korbin Kameron cabernet. Highly recommended at the shop I go to near my office, reviews were great, but the wine was garbage. Not worth $5, let alone the $20 I paid.

Tonight's wine to accompany Osso Bucco will be this one:

http://www.wine.com/V6/San-Felice-Campogiovanni-Brunello-di-Montalcino-2006/wine/110393/detail.aspx

Picked up the last bottle at Spec's. No Barolos to be had at this location, which is what I really wanted. I will open the Brunello early and let it open up. My backup will be this one:

http://www.rosadelgolfo.com/en/primitivo.htm

2 bottles of this for sparkling. Love Gloria Ferrer for the money. Highly recommended:

http://www.wine.com/V6/Gloria-Ferrer-Blanc-de-Noirs/wine/277/detail.aspx

I had to grab another bottle of the 09 Caymus Cab Sav last night, it is an amazing wine. While I was at Costco yesterday I grabbed a bottle of Silver Oak 07 and a bottle of Stag leap 06. They also had a 09 special reserve of Caymus but I did not grab it, wish I did now.

I had to grab another bottle of the 09 Caymus Cab Sav last night, it is an amazing wine. While I was at Costco yesterday I grabbed a bottle of Silver Oak 07 and a bottle of Stag leap 06. They also had a 09 special reserve of Caymus but I did not grab it, wish I did now.

I love the silver oak. The 07 is the Alexander Valley one right? My favorite of the Alexander valley is the 2001. Out of the silver oaks, though, I usually go with the napa, but I love both.

Have been drinking a wine called 'The Sum' from Seventy Five Wine Company. Its a Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Petite Syrah blend. It is incredibly smooth (can drink multiple bottles at a time, ha), and at around $20 a bottle not too hard on the wallet. Easily in my top 5 favorites of all time, and have recently been drinking quite a few of these. I belong to the Wine of the Month Club, and am getting more knowledgable on wine, but typically just buy off recommendations and ratings in the store. This one was recommended to me at a member-guest I played in this past summer, and it's an absolute winner. And now I highly recommend it to you all. If anyone tries it, I would love to hear about it!

(sorry for the sideways pic)

images

Having another bottle of this wine tonight. I'm telling you it is truly awesome. I highly recommend it and am interested in hearing if anyone has had it before?

Having another bottle of this wine tonight. I'm telling you it is truly awesome. I highly recommend it and am interested in hearing if anyone has had it before?

No, I have not had it but almost picked up a bottle once. I will give it a try for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I love the silver oak. The 07 is the Alexander Valley one right? My favorite of the Alexander valley is the 2001. Out of the silver oaks, though, I usually go with the napa, but I love both.
I just looked at the bottle, it was an 06 Alexander Valley. It was ok, I expected more. I still am amazed at the 09 Caymus, what a stud!

I just looked at the bottle, it was an 06 Alexander Valley. It was ok, I expected more. I still am amazed at the 09 Caymus, what a stud!

09 caymus is a very nice bottle!

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

A cheap, but VERY good red:
35 South Wild Ferment Merlot, this one exists as a
Cabernet / Merlot mix also...

This one is also a nice one:
Tralcetto Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
[h=1]
[/h]

So as part of the Wine of the Month Club - they come out with a lot of different deals that I sometimes partake in. Usually for the wines they pick to send out, you can re-order them at quite a discounted rate (sometimes for like $7.99 on a $19.99 bottle)... So at the end of the year, they were having a sale - $4.99 a bottle. They said most of the bottles they were selling were retailing between $12.99 and $21.99. I ended up buying a dozen, and with shipping the total was like $94 - basically less than $8 a bottle shipped. What an incredible deal! The shipment came in a few days ago, and I drank the first bottle last night.

2010 Sycamore Lane Cabernet Sauvignon (California). This bottle was superb. As I have said previously in this thread, I don't know a ton about wine - I basically go off how smooth it is too drink and the flavor (don't know a lot about the nose, palate, etc etc..) The lowest I have seen this bottle online is $9, so it wasn't an amazing deal (WOMC has it typically retailing for $14.99)... But I do recommend picking one up if your looking to try a Cab in the $10-$14 range. Incredibly smooth and a slight finish of like Cherry/Vanilla (I got this one right! I try to taste the wine first and come up with a flavor and then read the reviews on it, and I absolutely tasted cherry vanilla which was spot on to the review! :banana:). Below is a picture I took of the bottle. as well as the WOMC website link to the review.

Enjoy!

http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/product/1111r1/wine-shoppe

wine3.jpg

this thread has kind of languished, so I will bring it back some. not much wine or bourbon drinking in January. Got back into the swing of things Super Bowl weekend. Ferrari Carrano Cabernet is still awesome. Was told that the last vintage was thinned out. Not so. Love it. Picked up a bottle of Franciscan Cabernet to go with the Vday filet mignon I made for the wife. Dissapointing. Thin and vegetal.

More into old world wines myself. Burgundy, Rhone, Piedmonte, Alsace, Germany and Austria mostly.

my mom manages a winery

Just finished this beauty.......happy VD!

6829b433.jpg

Sweet, I have the same bottle. Very good, my wife got me/us another botlle of Caymus 09 cab sav. I have to say thats the best wine I've ever had. If any of you have a Costco near you, they have the Caymus reserve and I hear its very good as well. I will be picking up one on Sunday.

Have been drinking a wine called 'The Sum' from Seventy Five Wine Company. Its a Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Petite Syrah blend. It is incredibly smooth (can drink multiple bottles at a time, ha), and at around $20 a bottle not too hard on the wallet. Easily in my top 5 favorites of all time, and have recently been drinking quite a few of these. I belong to the Wine of the Month Club, and am getting more knowledgable on wine, but typically just buy off recommendations and ratings in the store. This one was recommended to me at a member-guest I played in this past summer, and it's an absolute winner. And now I highly recommend it to you all. If anyone tries it, I would love to hear about it!

(sorry for the sideways pic)

images

Picked up a bottle of this one Sunday to enjoy with a ribeye. Liked it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Opening the Chimney Rock. Heard its good so the first glass is going to be poured. Had to grab another bottle of Caymus, that is very good.
aefc327c-756d-ca4f.jpg

Tap-in Talking

Opening the Chimney Rock. Heard its good so the first glass is going to be poured. Had to grab another bottle of Caymus, that is very good.
aefc327c-756d-ca4f.jpg

Tap-in Talking

You didn't strike me as a wine guy Vince. Don't use a glass, tip that bottle to the sky.

Cupcake red velvet- my fav right now

They're ok if you are into mediocre California wines. We laugh at those here in Washington where we make real wine, lol! I kid, I kid!

Tappin' using my Galaxy Tab

You didn't strike me as a wine guy Vince. Don't use a glass, tip that bottle to the sky.

I am a sophisticated hillbilly. I actually hated wine until I moved to my new home, we have so many wineries on my road and all around. Its fun to go have some wine with my wife and her hot friends.

aefc327c-756d-ca4f.jpg

Tap-in Talking

how did that Chimney Rock work out, Vince?

Just got in a couple of bottles of Roth Alexander Valley Cabernet. My daily email from wine.com highly recommended it and I could not pass it up. Price was right and I love just about everything from Alexander Valley. Opened one bottle yesterday and it was dynamite.

http://www.wine.com/V6/Roth-Alexand...cid=email_120227_ALERT_n_RothCOLLCST&state=TX

Oh yeah, bought a bottle of 2007 Jordan Cabernet too. 2007 Caymus is still the best bottle of wine I have had in the last 10 years. 2009, not so much, but still very good.

Back