When to reach for a new ball...

Most pros replace their balls every 1-2 holes.

During my round yesterday, I noticed my TM Pentas developed a few cuts over the course of the round. This is something I've become accustomed to every since I added the Callaway Jaws wedges to my bag. As each ball developed a few cuts, I tossed them thinking that the cuts would adversely affect the ballflight. The cuts weren't long or deep and it's not like the cover was separating from the core, but I thought it would be smart to go with a new ball.

In hindsight, now I'm not so sure I should have tossed them. How do you guys determine whether to reach for a new ball? Obviously if the cover's hanging off, yeah probably not best to tee that one up. But if it's a couple cuts or scuffs, do you continue to play it or grab a clean ball?

I guess you dont believe in practice balls? :confused2:

They get them free, and if they hit one with a wedge they will shred it pretty good. I can easily go 18 if I don't lose it or hit a cartpath or tree.

Because it costs them nothing to do so. That would be crazy expensive for us schleps that pay for premium golf balls.

If it flies straight and true then I still use it. If there is a mark that is bothering me while standing over it then I will get a new ball.

I think it's too easy as an amateur to forget that you are actually an amateur and act like a pro. I have used the same ball for several weeks. Still as long as when I first hit it, still able to control it and still able to spin them back on the greens.
However if you are uncomfortable with something then it makes sense to change, an extra mental obstacle before taking your shot can have disastrous consequences on the shot.

I don't really tear up balls with wedges, but I've been known to put a few cart path burns on them. I don't like looking at a busted ball, so I'll grab a new one and use it for practice or when I'm running low.

I don't really tear up balls with wedges, but I've been known to put a few cart path burns on them. I don't like looking at a busted ball, so I'll grab a new one and use it for practice or when I'm running low.

Agreed. I typically only tear up a ball if I catch it ridiculously thing with a wedge...other than that it's cart path, tree, road, stop sign (only once) wear on my balls and once that happens it goes in the shag bag.

Tap before talk.

I will not play a scuffed up ball, and I find it psychologically damaging to play a "bad" ball on a hazard shot because if you play a bad ball there you are making yourself believe you will not make it over.

Exactly. You've mentally given up the shot.

I'll put a ball with a little scuff in my shag bag or blast them away at the driving range. My balls aren't that expensive and golf is not a cheap game. I always get annoyed when people stress over losing a ball for the sake of lost money. It's a golf ball. If you can't afford to lose a ball, pick another sport. Now if they're searching because of the game strategy, then that's different.

I used to the 6 holes and out guy, no matter the condition. Now I pull a new pelota on a few occasions:
1. Cart path, tree and blade
2. Hazard or OB (seldom...hehe)
3. Just having a bad stretch of holes and new some new juju
4. Serious money match, then after 9 holes
My last few rounds I've pulled a new a different ball to compare. But if and when possible I like to play one ball through out my round.

Pretty much when I see a major scuff from hitting something that shouldn't have been hit. Otherwise, things like blemishes the ball remains in the game. I don't toss too many balls but when I do they go into the shagbag or my son will start using them.

Alex

I will play the same ball until I loose it or it has cuts and scuffs on it. During the round I will take the ball out of play and it later goes into my practice / water ball bag. I dont know how many times I have pulled out a new ball and it hits a cart path on the first drive. There are times that I can play the same ball for several rounds and other days it lasts for one hole.

Exactly. You've mentally given up the shot.

I'll put a ball with a little scuff in my shag bag or blast them away at the driving range. My balls aren't that expensive and golf is not a cheap game. I always get annoyed when people stress over losing a ball for the sake of lost money. It's a golf ball. If you can't afford to lose a ball, pick another sport. Now if they're searching because of the game strategy, then that's different.

In casual rounds I have this outlook. If I cannot find it when I first get to where it's supposed to be. I drop one. I don't even bother to look. When asked "aren't you going to look for it?" I respond with "they make 'em everyday and it keeps people employed". Tournament rounds.. I use the alotted time.

Alex

I play them until I lose them or until I severely cut the cover to where the ball doesnt roll true anymore. Any kind of scuffing is going to effect ballflight but probably not enough to make a noticable difference.

If it's not scuffed, I will play a ball till it is or I lose it.
I played 5 rounds on one ball this past season. (personal record)
I use to go through 3 balls a round due to my gap wedge tearing the cover off.
But since I replaced that wedge early last season, this new one doesn't cut the balls up.

I used to the 6 holes and out guy, no matter the condition. Now I pull a new pelota on a few occasions:
1. Cart path, tree and blade
2. Hazard or OB (seldom...hehe)
3. Just having a bad stretch of holes and new some new juju
4. Serious money match, then after 9 holes
My last few rounds I've pulled a new a different ball to compare. But if and when possible I like to play one ball through out my round.

This, exactly. It's usually either that I need a change in mojo or that the last one when fishing......hehe

I play a new ball when I lose the old one. I'm not made of money.

I tear up balls pretty quickly with my wedges, but I will play a ball for 27 holes then swap it out. I dont lose many balls and was able to play all of last season on a dozen and half to two dozen

Back