New clubs for a newbie!

crfloor

Reaction score
I golfed alot last summer and i plan on golfing alot in the year to come. I was using a set of old clubs i got from a friend. I am about a 20 handicap so I have been looking game improvement irons. I have in mind the Ping G10 xgs, the Ping G15s, and the TM 2.0s. I have hit all three and am leaning towards the Pings. As a new golfer would I benifit from geting the G15s vs the G10 xgs for the 100 dollar diffrence?

I golfed alot last summer and i plan on golfing alot in the year to come. I was using a set of old clubs i got from a friend. I am about a 20 handicap so I have been looking game improvement irons. I have in mind the Ping G10 xgs, the Ping G15s, and the TM 2.0s. I have hit all three and am leaning towards the Pings. As a new golfer would I benifit from geting the G15s vs the G10 xgs for the 100 dollar diffrence?

Personally, I think the G10's play much like the G15's. The G10's were one of Pings best ever irons. I think you would do fine with the G10's.

If you have the pockets, give the Razr XF's a try. Best SGI ever made.

If you have the pockets, give the Razr XF's a try. Best SGI ever made.

What makes you say that?? I am really curious about these for the Morgan Cup....they look very interesting

They are hands down the most forgiving irons you will ever hit. I simply could not mishit the ball if it made contact with the face. Definitely give them a try if you want huge forgiveness.

Well he clearly wants GI/SGI irons and is willing to spend 800 already...

G10 XGs are going for 500 brand new. XF's are almost 3 times as pricey.

Mizuno JPX 800s.

They are hands down the most forgiving irons you will ever hit. I simply could not mishit the ball if it made contact with the face. Definitely give them a try if you want huge forgiveness.

I have a set here and like them quite a bit. Also find them quite forgiving, but that is simply not true for all players.

Check out the thread on Wilson Staff DI 11 elsewhere on THP. Great game improvement iron that can be had for hudreds less than what you've been looking at.

Friend of mine had a set of G10's and loved them. Great club for the price.

Check out the thread on Wilson Staff DI 11 elsewhere on THP. Great game improvement iron that can be had for hudreds less than what you've been looking at.

Seconded. I'm a relatively new golfer (only a season under my belt) and around a 20 handicap, and I love my Di11s. They are great GI irons, and don't dent the wallet as much.

Seconded. I'm a relatively new golfer (only a season under my belt) and around a 20 handicap, and I love my Di11s. They are great GI irons, and don't dent the wallet as much.

Thirded. Best iron set for the money

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

err fourthed person here for the Di11. When I was first getting back into the game the Di11 was the best club available for me. I think that the Di11's are one of the more forgiving clubs available at the moment. And they aren't hugely expensive either.

Last edited:
G10 are great irons. I don't think you will find much difference between them and the G15's. But you may find the V2 irons would be worth an extra 100 if you have the option.

But I think you would be quite happy with G10's.

I can only recommend the Wilson Di11. I just started golfing a few months ago and these irons are great for beginners. they are very forgiving and easy to hit. and you still hit them a good distance and all of this for a very reasonable price.

I was in the same boat right before the holidays. I tried the following:

Mizuno JPX800
Callaway Raxr X
Wilson Di11
Ping G10
Ping G20

For me the Callaways won out but the Mizunos were close. That being said and taking into account price differences and what I've read on THP, I probably should have hit the Wilsons some more before I decided. I don't regret getting my Razr Xs at all but there are some really good deals on the Di11s right now.

Go hit a bunch of irons, try to narrow it down (feel, looks at address, etc), get a fitting, sit on it a few days to think about it and then pull the trigger.

Good luck!

another vote for the Di'11s

So happy to see my fellow Di11 gamers loving these...for the price, there is not one better playing and forgiving iron on the market right now.

I went with the Razr X as well after trying pretty much the same list. I also tried Taylormade as well. I know that is not what the OP was about though. I didn't find much difference in my shots between the G10 and G15. The TM 2.0 were my second choice followed by Miz.

I was in the same boat right before the holidays. I tried the following:

Mizuno JPX800
Callaway Raxr X
Wilson Di11
Ping G10
Ping G20

For me the Callaways won out but the Mizunos were close. That being said and taking into account price differences and what I've read on THP, I probably should have hit the Wilsons some more before I decided. I don't regret getting my Razr Xs at all but there are some really good deals on the Di11s right now.

Go hit a bunch of irons, try to narrow it down (feel, looks at address, etc), get a fitting, sit on it a few days to think about it and then pull the trigger.

Good luck!

I have hit both.

I was in the same issue as you. G10s or G15s. I went with the G10s, but ALWAYS thought about what my game would be like with the G15s. So, I bought the 15s. I think they are very very similar, but if you are a person that always second guesses, just go with the G15s.

They are both ultra forgiving and great sets of irons. If money is tight, go with the G10s.

There are several other GI/SGI irons out there for cheaper too.

Adams A4R (really really really good irons for a complete bargain)
Wilson Di11 (stupid good sticks and a good price)
Callaway Razr X

Back