60* of separation

I feel like for me my approach shots within 100 yards are a mix of feel and science. I use different clubs for different distances that I have figured out through practice (50% of a 58* goes X number of yards, etc), but then I also take into consideration the type of shot I am trying to play (high, low, runner, hop and stop). All of these factors make my selection change depending on what my objective is, but one thing is almost always certain, I never hit a full 58*. Just don't like to and I have too many other options that are more predictable.

I had this thread in my mind all day while playing and while I'm sure I could zero in on 1/2 to 3/4 swings with my 56* I found myself in that 75 to 80 yard range like 6 times today and a smooth 60 put me flag high all but once, (14 ft past the hole for some reason, but made the down hill putt). Another two times I hit 3w in the 215 or more range to flag high right, but off the green. Both of those were tough little pitch shots over humps and I was very glad I had the 60*. Sure, I could get used to pulling off these same shots with the 56*, I did until this spring when I got the 60*. but I felt very smooth with it today.

My current setup is: 50 52 56 60 I love the 60, and it isn't going anywhere. I am thinking hard about getting a 64 as well. I am not great at half shots and like to take a full swing when I can. Plus I never find a need for the top end of my bag, so by going 5 wood, 3 hybrid and 5 iron, I have room in the bag and it doesn't hamper my longer game. My ideal setup that I hopefully will get to this year will be: 50 54 60 64

I'm in the same situation. I like full swings rather than trying to hit a 56 @ 50%. For a while I carried the 64, but honestly I found I wasn't using it very much. I hit my 64 around 50 yards, but unless I setup the hole (par 5 or short par 4) to have a 50 yard approach, there aren't many holes for me to use it unless I'm in trouble. I've learned to hit a low knock-down with the 56 which bounces once and checks up nicely.

I have never had a 60* wedge because I have learned the game without one. It was only this year that I jumped to two wedges, adding a 52* gap wedge to my repetoire. IMO the 60* is a specialty club that would really only come out of the bag maybe once a round if that, so I can just stick with the 56*. My comfort zone is with the 56 and was just starting to show in my 52 at the end of the season, so I think that is sufficent and I will let someone else play with their 60*'s.

Just my two cents

When my wedges go bad it doesn't matter if it is a 60 or PW I will hit a few shanks with any one of them off and on for a few weeks and then for some reason it just goes away, it is an enduring mystery. I think it has to do with my hands on the backswing, it almost seems like the better I hit my driver the worse I hit wedges. Getting all of them to work well at the same time is the hard part but then my putting goes haywire.

@duey that is awesome bro, the 60* works and worked well for you. Sounds like you had a good round

@duey that is awesome bro, the 60* works and worked well for you. Sounds like you had a good round

Thanks, I made a few adjustments with all my irons today and just felt comfortable. Wish I could say the same of my putter today, lol.

It seems the trend these days is to carry three wedges, not including the PW. Usual setup is 60, 56 and 52. With the creation of variable soles is it going to remain trend? The new sole will allow you to open the face of your 56* and play the high softy. So will you get rid of the 60*? Or will it stay in the bag because it's habit?

I have a 60* in the bag, but only use it greenside if i have an elephant grave to hit over or if i am somewhat short sided to the pin. I lot of us dont have any business hitting a 60* hitting off of tight, clean lies. I'd rather play my 56* or take a hybrid/putter if im juuuuusssst of the green.

A majority of the time im hitting a 60* its to save a hole from getting ugly (par, bogey, db). So i do have one, but use it sparingly. im much more comfy with my 56 or my 52

DL

Recently dropped my 60* and have just been opening up my 56*. Haven't missed it yet.

I used to be scared of the 60 but once I learned how to use it, I can't imagine golf without it. I use it for almost every shot around the green and just about anything inside of 70 yards or so. I can hit it high, low, in between, flop shot, hop and stop, or bump and run. Easier for me to adjust for shots with the same club rather than use 3 or 4 different clubs for different shots. I have the standard 60-56-52-48 set up. You get 14 clubs so I would rather fill in the space with scoring clubs rather than carry an extra wood, hybrid, or long iron. I don't have much need for more of those. They won't get me close to the hole when I have the best chance to be.

I loved my 60 last year. Not sure what my set up will be for this year but I'd like to keep that loft.

Thanks, I made a few adjustments with all my irons today and just felt comfortable. Wish I could say the same of my putter today, lol.

It's always something, right!

After reading this thread, and playing on frozen greens, I tried some of the stuff other people mentioned here...punched an 8 iron from 100 yards, gap wedge from about 30...stuff like that. Interesting results.....

This thread really got me thinking about whether or not I need a 60 wedge, so today I played my entire round without the 60 and only played my 54* wedge and I have to say I didn't miss the 60, and dare I say, I think I'm a better player around the greens with the 54*, and I had to be more creative with my shots around the green, and this kept me focused on the shot I needed to pull off.

This was a bit of a revelation for me, as I would have normally played almost all the chips and pitches I had today with my 60* but I played them with the 54 and I was on average much closer to the hole than I normally am, and had a GREAT short game today. I'm really starting to question if I should have the 60 in my bag.

This thread really got me thinking about whether or not I need a 60 wedge, so today I played my entire round without the 60 and only played my 54* wedge and I have to say I didn't miss the 60, and dare I say, I think I'm a better player around the greens with the 54*, and I had to be more creative with my shots around the green, and this kept me focused on the shot I needed to pull off.

This was a bit of a revelation for me, as I would have normally played almost all the chips and pitches I had today with my 60* but I played them with the 54 and I was on average much closer to the hole than I normally am, and had a GREAT short game today. I'm really starting to question if I should have the 60 in my bag.

Glad to hear you got to experience this and learned a little bit from it. Good luck going forward!!

Were you getting more role out on your pitches and chips? I'm assuming your proximity to the hole was a bit closer with the 54*?

Were you getting more role out on your pitches and chips? I'm assuming your proximity to the hole was a bit closer with the 54*?
My proximity to the hole was much closer with the 54* and I was getting a little more roll out, but I also found I was able to control my spin a little more with the 54. I could go after the chip a little harder with a shorter stroke and get the ball to check, or I could hit it more like a putt and get it to roll out.
I was blown away to be honest, as I was putting almost every chip to within 4 feet all day, and darn near holed out a few times.

My proximity to the hole was much closer with the 54* and I was getting a little more roll out, but I also found I was able to control my spin a little more with the 54. I could go after the chip a little harder with a shorter stroke and get the ball to check, or I could hit it more like a putt and get it to roll out.
I was blown away to be honest, as I was putting almost every chip to within 4 feet all day, and darn near holed out a few times.

Sounds like you have a few more shots in your bag for MC.

Sounds like you have a few more shots in your bag for MC.
I think my distance control was just a lot better with the 54 and that shocked me. Now I could have just been having a good day, but I doubt it. I think I will have two wedges in my bag for the MC and it will be a 51* and a 55*.

Wait till you get the alignment zero'd in, you will be sinking a lot of chips. I use my 56 for almost every greenside chip, the 60* is for lob, or that occasional quick down hill chip. I know most people prefer an 8 or 9i, but I like the 56* handle forward for a bump and run or back a bit for two hop stop.

Wait till you get the alignment zero'd in, you will be sinking a lot of chips. I use my 56 for almost every greenside chip, the 60* is for lob, or that occasional quick down hill chip. I know most people prefer an 8 or 9i, but I like the 56* handle forward for a bump and run or back a bit for two hop stop.
I think the 60 is going to come out of the bag for a while Duey and see how I play. I think one more long club in the bag can't hurt.

I think the 60 is going to come out of the bag for a while Duey and see how I play. I think one more long club in the bag can't hurt.

I hate to admit it, but was considering the same thing even after a banner day with it yesterday.

Back