Some new books on Woods being released.

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-01/golf-tiger-woods-john-feinstein-book

This is from the first part of the article:

No One Tells Tiger Woods What To Do
One thing I learned from a four-hour conversation: Tiger makes almost all his own calls--for good and bad

The first time I laid eyes on Tiger Woods was in March 1994 at Bay Hill for Arnold Palmer's tournament. I was standing on the range on Wednesday afternoon, talking to Peter Jacobsen, Davis Love III and Billy Andrade. Billy pointed down the range at a skinny kid hitting balls. "You know who that is?" he said.

"You should know," Billy continued. "That's Tiger Woods. He's the Next One."

I did know the name. A phenom from California. In fact, his father, Earl, was already on IMG's payroll as a "junior talent scout."

I hadn't paid that much attention. My focus was on the players who were on the tour at that moment, and I tended to be skeptical about Next Ones. I still remember Brent Musburger comparing Jeff Lebo to Jerry West when Lebo was a freshman basketball player at North Carolina. I had seen what being the Next One in tennis had done to Jennifer Capriati, and I remember reading a Rick Reilly piece in Sports Illustrated years earlier on how Love and Fred Couples were the Next Ones in golf.

"I thought you and Fred were the Next Ones," I said to Love.

"Not like this kid," Love said.

I shrugged, still skeptical. A few minutes later, I walked off the range. As luck would have it, Woods was walking a few steps in front of me. As he headed, I presumed, to the first tee to play a few holes, a small cadre of maybe 15 to 20 kids standing behind the ropes pushed pieces of paper in his direction for autographs. Woods put his head down, looked in neither direction and walked past them without slowing.

Most players will stop as they leave the range on practice days. Walking to the first tee for an actual round is different. In that situation most guys will say, "After the round," or "Gotta go to work." But this was a practice day, and before Woods had become such a big star that stopping to sign autographs could turn into an all-day affair.

Watching him put his head down and keep on going, I distinctly remember thinking, Just who the hell does that kid think he is?

Of course the answer, as it turned out, was simple: He thought he was Tiger Woods.

I read that entire article. Certainly an interesting read something I actually enjoyed.

That article was in Golf Digest a few months ago. I was really surprised to read that Earl was so much of a jerk.

That article was in Golf Digest a few months ago. I was really surprised to read that Earl was so much of a jerk.
It was? Because it's in the January 2012 issue.

Supposedly, Hank Haney is releasing a book about Tiger right around the time of The Masters. I don't care about him writing the book, and in fact I expect it to be a fascinating read, but I question the time of the release.

I think this book is a tougher book to pull off than most would think. I'm sure there's a treasure trove of information and stories that Haney has, but the execution is going to be essential. If he's to easy and complimentary to tiger, people will say haney is going soft and possibly protecting something. If he comes off to harsh, people will say he's bitter. It's a very delicate balancing act.

It's easy to say, just tell the honest truth, and we hope everything in books of this nature are honest truth, but as we've seen in the past, because everyone has their own point of view on things, see the world through their own eyes, especially in events many years gone by, the truth becomes different shades of gray depending on where you're seeing it from.

should be interesting and entertaining though

Haney writing a tell all

Haney writing a tell all

Just heard Hank is set to publish a tell all about his six year run with Tiger. Hope he is not out to bury Tiger, he is the only one without a confidentiality clause and could really do some damage. What does everybody think? Does Haney look like the kind of guy who would let the rest of the unknown out? I think he does look like a whistle blower.

If this is in the wrong spot, I apologize, and please move thread

I'll read it.

I hope he isn't all negative. But I do hope that he is honest.

Not sure, but I'll read it.

I want an honest account, but there are some things he should and hopefully will leave out. I will read it

Tap Tap Taparoo

I will probably read this.

Moved this to the Tiger Issues thread where it was discussed last night.

Moved this to the Tiger Issues thread where it was discussed last night.

Went ahead and separated it since it kind of gets lost in the other thread.
Its an interesting thought that if done well could be a great read.

I'd be interested to read it.

It was? Because it's in the January 2012 issue.

There was an excerp from a Finestein book that was very similar. I thought it was the same. I could be wrong though.

I hope Haney doesn't write a book detailing his relationship with Tiger. He, and Steve Williams, need to move past their past with Eldrick. There are still trying to milk that cash cow and it's kind of sad.

OK. I changed the title a little since it didn't have anything to do with the first post! haha

There was an excerp from a Finestein book that was very similar. I thought it was the same. I could be wrong though.

I hope Haney doesn't write a book detailing his relationship with Tiger. He, and Steve Williams, need to move past their past with Eldrick. There are still trying to milk that cash cow and it's kind of sad.

I'm the opposite. Tiger is the best golfer I'd ever seen. I always find it interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes, how these guys work and prepare. Will there be some negative stuff, sure. Everyone has their faults. I think it would be similar to Joe Torre's book about when he was with the Yankees.

I'm the opposite. Tiger is the best golfer I'd ever seen. I always find it interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes, how these guys work and prepare. Will there be some negative stuff, sure. Everyone has their faults. I think it would be similar to Joe Torre's book about when he was with the Yankees.

Im the opposite here. I've had my problems with Woods but it just seems like when its almost time to just focus on golf, something else comes out. If Haney was that interested in chronicling everything, wouldnt the book have come out sooner? I doubt we see any award winning writing here so its not like that is the reason the book is coming out later. Almost as if he was waiting for the storm to calm down and it would only be him slinging stories about woods.

On a side note I don't know if I believe that either. While it seems like Haney wants to move past tiger with all the other going ons, he still seems to hold onto his relationship with him.

I will hear about all of the controversial parts of the book here and elsewhere online, I don't think I will be making the purchase.

For me, it is different for Tiger to give all access to a writer. And allow that writer to record his actions. For former employees to write the book, after they have been fired, seems petty to me. To be fair though, I would probably also read the book.

Back