TaylorMade RBZ Irons - Forum Testing Signup

First I have to thank THP and Taylormade for this amazing opportunity. I have been very intrigued, as most of us have, in the RocketBallz line as soon as it was announced. The fact that THP can provide such a wonderful opportunity to 6 lucky testers before they even hit the market is unreal. Thanks THP!

1. What irons do you currently play?
I currently play Callaway Razr X-Forged Irons.

2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex
In those irons are KBS Tour 120 shafts.

3. What do you look for in irons?
I really look for a good balance between Forgiveness and Workability. My current set of irons is plenty long, but my favorite thing about them is I can go after and try to shape or flight the ball a certain way - while knowing that in the instance I don't pull it off the miss isn't too harsh. I also love a simple looking iron with a thin topline.

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz?
It honestly does not bother me. I am about results - I don't care what the name is on the club. I went to my recent fitting, and the majority of my bag is now Callaway - simple because the Trackman results, as well as the feel of the club, told me so. I have owned Tommy Armour, Mizuno, Macgregor, and now Callaway. Call it whatever you want - I'll play if if it gives me the best chance to succeed.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?
I have recently took more of an active role here at THP. I am on the website each day reading everything I can find. I have gotten better at posting in the last month, probably posting more than half of my total activity within the last 30 days. The forum testing is a big responsibility, and I do not take my entrance lightly. It's a very powerful tool for everyone in the community and must be taken seriously.
My testing process is hindered a bit by my location as Connecticut gets pretty bad winters. So far it has been great though, and the weather has allowed me to play twice in the last 2 weeks. Snow or no snow - I plan on going to the range 1-2x per week. I play at least once a week when courses are open. I think I can provide a tough testing environment for the RBZs since I love my current set of irons very much. I would put these side by side on the range and on the course. When I get used to the RBZs after some range time, I plan on rotating back and forth between the irons during my rounds. I think this is a great chance to really see how the irons test out since it will over time remove myself as a variable - meaning if I am playing good or bad for a month - I would still have time with both irons. I would rather rotate rounds over a 3-6 months span so I can track my stats/scores with each set. I think putting the RBZs soley in the bag for 3 months may not yield such a good comparison for testing purposes. My ultimate goal would be providing a great side by side test of the RBZs vs the Razrs. I also plan on making at least 1 more trip to Florida to visit my parents in the next 2 months which allows me the opportunity to get on a grass range and play 18 a day for 3-4 days with the RBZs. I am not going to lie - It will take a lot to knock my current set out of the bag, but I absolutely look forward to seeing the results, and most importantly providing fast, honest, and complete feedback to THP - whether that be good or bad for the RocketBallz...

succeed

My current set of irons are Srixon Z-Star forged 4-pw
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex
Current shafts are KBS Tour C-tapers. S+ hard-stepped once.
I look for up to date styling, a decent topline, smooth & solid feel, and a shot of confidence when I have the club in my hands.
It's different, but in a good way. It really grabs your attention!! I was telling a buddy about this iron testing opportunity and he wasn't really paying attention, but once I said the irons name. He was instantly paying more attention. The first thing he asked was "are they long?" I said I don't know, the too be determined.
My testing process is pretty basic and to the point! I'll do the iron unveiling and head straight to the range. After the initial warmup period I will put them head 2 head with my current irons. There on after that I generally play 1-2 a week and practice at least 1-2 a week.

As for THP activity level, I believe I have been a pretty good and active member. I was deployed for the last 6 months so activity was limited. I am now back to THP full force.....lol! My wife just shakes her head now, she knows that when I'm checking my phone I'm tapatalk'n away on THP.

Thanks again THP and TaylorMade for another great opportunity!

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play the TM Burner 2.0 irons.
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex I have graphite shafts in regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons? I look for distance, consistency, feel, forgiveness. Distance: getting a bit older I need an irons that will give me a bit more pop. Consistency: I need an iron that I know will give me the same distance shot after shot. Feel: an iron the feels good when hitting the ball. Forgiveness: an iron that will give me a break if I hit if off the toe.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? For me it's all about performance. If a golf club performs I don't care what it's called.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I go to the range six days a week (we have heated bays). And, since we've had a mild winter I've been able to play daily as well. I usually spend a good two hours at the range. I just don't pound balls, but try a variety of shots using a variety of clubs. I'm unfailingly honest in any assessment I make of any equipment I test. I'm a regular participant of THP and have been for a number of years.

I've read a lot about these clubs. I've even exchanged a couple of emails with Bret Wahl of TaylorMade Golf, who was involved in their development (he said some very compelling things). We discussed how these compare to the Burner 2.0's, among other things. I would really like to give these a head-to-head comparison with the Burner 2.0's to see if they are that much better in the four areas I discussed earlier: distance, consistency, feel, and forgiveness. The 2.0's were very successful for TM. Are the RBZ's that much better?

Thank you very much for giving me this possible opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner 2.0
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex KBS Tour 130g stiff 3/4" long and standard lie/loft.
3. What do you look for in irons? The most important thing to me is accuracy. The burner 2.0s blew me away because of their accuracy and length.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I think it is a bit gimmicky. Taylormade definitely knows how to market their products. I believe this is a great way to get younger people into their products. Also, after watching some of the youtube videos on the new product the name seems fitting after seeing the gains the pros got from the fairway woods of this model.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Even though it is winter in my neck of the woods we have a nice heated golf dome where I find myself there 2-3 times per week. I am on THP everyday reading reviews and THP is the reason I decided to buy the burner 2.0s. I try to contribute as much as I can and would definitely enjoy writing about the RBZ irons. I am very interested to see how they stack up against the 2.0s. I am intrigued because I do not know if I can buy in to the irons being longer if they don't crank the lofts even more.

Last edited:
Wow... this is great. Thank you THP and TM! Awesome opportunity.

Mizuno MP-32
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex.
Steel shaft with stiff flex
Feel, control/accuracy, and an attractive look at address.
The names makes me think that I will absolutely crush these irons! I usually don't look much into the names of clubs but I wouldn't mind telling people I am playing the TM RocketBallz. I love the color of black and green!!
I have THP set as my homepage and read daily. I lack a bit in the posting department but try to post when I have note-worthy information. I haven't swung my clubs much since the end of last season but I am ready to start playing again. The lack of snow has got me itching to play even more! My game has improved a lot over the past year and I have become much more serious about practicing and the equipment I play. I would love to try this new technology and report how it affects my golf game and specifically the consistency of iron shots.

Great way to start the new year! Thank you to Taylormade and THP for giving us this chance to test these before they hit stores.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP 60's 5-PW. Own the 3 and 4, they just sit on the sidelines
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex KBS Tour 5.5 -1/2 under standard. 3 and 4 iron have S300's at standard length
3. What do you look for in irons? Consistency in both distance and dispersion, not distracting looking from address.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Doesn't bother me in the least. I care about the results, not the name
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Video and pictures of unboxing, comparison to current iron via pictures from multiple angles so someone with similar looking irons can relate to looks and views. Updated testing results after rounds played with side by side results to current irons. Most importantly, answering any and as many questions as possible from people as best I can. Activity level on the website is multiple times a day, at least 5 days a week.

Best of luck to all entrants!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylor Made Burner 2.0

2. What shafts are in those irons Both Type & Flex? KBS Tour Stiff

3. What do you look for in irons? Feel, Sound, Looks, Workability, Consistency

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I was and still am not a fan, although I do like RBZ, and since the graphics on the club say RBZ, I do not mind it. That said, if the clubs are right for me, I would play them regardless of name, as in the end name is not important, but perfomance is.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am an active member of THP, am logged on and post multiple times every day. I have tested multiple products for THP and enjoy the process. I enjoy writing and really enjoy testing golf products/clubs. I would do at least 1 range session a week, as well as short game sessions, and play as much as weather will allow, increasing as spring comes. I will systematically compare the Burner 2.0's to the RBZ in every phase including feel, sound, looks, long and short iron comparisons, distance comparisons, accuracy comparisons, etc. I will post my findings multiple times per week for 3-4 months, using on course/range video and pictures to add to my posting.

I would like to thank Taylor Made and THP for another awesome testing.

Great opportunity, looking forward to reading the reviews on these irons.

1. What irons do you currently play? - Cleveland CG16s

2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex - Traction 85 Regular

3. What do you look for in irons? - ​As a higher handicap player, I look for performance and forgiveness first. Performance to me means accuracy, distance and ball flight. Accuracy and ball flight are a bit subjective between golfers I think. I like a nice mid-high ball flight. Accuracy to me is more about my ability to be consistent with a club, so I guess it's part of forgiveness too, as well as more of a 'feel' thing. After that, I consider looks. I would say that I do prefer not to see the sole of the club at address until you get into the lower irons. That being said, if they perform and help me lower my scores, I could really care less what they look like. I'm not good enough to be snobby about looks.

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? - I think it's a little out there to be honest. Though it is fun to say when joking around with your buddies while waiting to tee off. Again, if it helps me lower my scores, I don't care what it's called.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? - Testing for me would start with unboxing and thoughts on first impressions and looks. Then range time and a head to head comparison with my CG16s as I hit them pretty well. Past that would be on course time for further testing in game situations. Being the offseason, I don't have a weekly league going at the moment, but I do try to get out as often as the weather allows. As for my activity level on THP, I am constantly reading and try to post whenever I have something to add to a given thread.

I do want to put out a disclaimer that it is technically winter here in Northern VA. The weather has been unseasonably warm up to this point, but that can't be expected to last forever. That being said, I already have a heated range that I frequent and plan to go there all winter already. If selected I would make sure to get these out in as many rounds as possible. Just wanted to put that out there as I'm sure there are members in warmer climates where this is not an issue.

Good luck to everyone! This is a great opportunity for six lucky testers!

Last edited:
This is awesome, I cant wait to hear about these irons as well as see in hand pics.

First off, thank you to THP and TaylorMade for this chance! I hope I am fortunate enough to get this chance.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play a Wilson Matix iron. (old, but they are a decent controllable iron)
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex The shafts are graphite, mens regular flex.
3. What do you look for in irons? I need an iron with a forgiving sweetspot. I am a bigger guy so I naturally swing a bit harder and thus sometimes have trouble with control. I love my TaylorMade Driver and Fairway woods so I feel the irons could be just what I'm looking for.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I love it! A name that implies sending the ball like a rocket!! Go with it!
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am in Utah, so testing will be done at our indoor range by my home. However, I have always been one that will hit the range and work on the swing at least 2 times a week as long as I can't be on the course. My THP Activity level has dropped a little in the past couple months with the holidays, and I have recently started a new job, but now that things are settled back in, I am ready to swing the sticks and get back into the groove of THP!

Thank you again, and good luck to everyone!!

1. What irons do you currently play? TM Burners for the past year and a half
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex: Factory, stiff
3. What do you look for in irons? Distance and response
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Not sure, I am warming up to it but still not sure, RBZ is OK.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Practice twice a week on the range and play twice a week. Can offer video and written review.

Looks like an awesome opportunity! Too bad its "RH only"..

Another amazing opportunity from TaylorMade and THP. I can't wait to see what the thoughts are on these. Good luck all you RH THP'ers out there. As someone who tested and loved the burner 2.0's, I will be following your thoughts closely, and with great interest.

1. What irons do you currently play? Currently playing 2008 Titleist AP2
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex Project X 6.0 flighted
3. What do you look for in irons? First thing I look for in irons is appearance. I have to like what the irons look like! If I don't like the appearence, I am not going to give them a fair chance. I also like a thin top line. Nothing bulky looking. I like forgiving irons, nothing that I can't control. To me golf is about missing in the right spot. If you can control your misses and limit the damage, you can improve your scores
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Not a huge fan of the name but I think TM did a good job of getting people to create a "buzz" about the new line. If you can intrigue people by the name alone, it will get people to try your product. The more people that try them, the more that are likely to buy them
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I have a fairly relaxed job that allows me quite a bit of downtime. I would be able to make it to the range once or twice a week. I live in Philadelphia so the weather right now is not great for golfing but if/when the thermometer hits 50 or close to it, I am out there playing. My activity has picked up on THP in the past couple weeks. I don't comment on everything, I like to find threads I can contribute to. I like to find threads that pertain to my game or especially the threads that involve tinkering with my equipment and the ones that pertain to what's new.

1. What irons do you currently play? Bridgestone J38
2. What shafts are in those irons? Project X Flighted 6.0
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness, feel, looks. I know feel is subjective, but I have hit irons that feel harsh. I want an iron that I dont have to swing ou tof my shoes to get the ball moving. Also, one I can swing out of my shoes. There are those times where a muscled iron is better than the easy swing. I want an iron that can handle both.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I personally cant stand it, it sounds cheap. Sure it produces rocketballz, but I think TM has a good name, I dont think it should have been hit with such a name. I would think I could get a Rocketballz club in Wal Mart.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am always active on THP, if I am chosen I will report my findings in an honest and timely manor

THP shines again!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-23's
2. What shafts are in those irons? TT Dynalite Gold R300's
3. What do you look for in irons? Consist feel throughout the set and tight shot dispersion. I assume reliable distance gaps.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Neutral, however I do like the RBZ monicker, as it flows nicely off the tongue.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing will be easy for me, as I work at a golf course and have unlimited access to the course and practice facilities. The first step would be to get on a lie board and make any necessary adjustments. That accomplished, I would then spend considerable time on the range getting to know the new clubs. As I am very famliiar with the playing characteristics of my current set, I will especially note any differences I might discover distance- and dispersion-wise. I would then put the new clubs into play, 3-5 times a week as weather allows. Updates will be delivered (at least)weekly in a style similar to those given in other testing threads. As for my activity level, I'm here every day, usually multiple times. I post infrequently, as I prefer to listen and learn than to jack up my count. Hopefullly, when I do post, it furthers along the discussion in a meaningful way.

Once again, thanks again to THP and TMag. Pre-launch access to the clubs for the lucky six and the feedback that will then be available to all is, well, simply terrific.

Good luck to all...but especially to me! :egyptian:

First and Foremost, thank you THP and Taylor Made! It's opportunities like this that seperates THP from the rest!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylor Made Tour Preferred MB 4-PW

2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex. True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Steel / Stiff Flex

3. What do you look for in irons? 1st - Ball interaction at impact (feel), 2nd - Performance of off centered hits and the outcome to the target, 3rd - Control of the club and how much can I work the ball, 4th - Distance and 5th - Does the club look good to the eye behind the ball.

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Genius. Why? Because whether people like the name or not, they are talking about it. It happened with the white drivers (R11) and it's happening again with the RocketBallz name. It will make people try the club and ask about it. But with any club, performance will determine if RocketBallz lives long and strong. But once again Taylor Made has delivered in creating a buzz about their product.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I use THP on a daily basic and it is a part of my day....everyday! I check the site morning, noon and night and contribute to the site in all ways possible. I was very active in the recent Morgan Cup process and was posting daily about the selection process. My plan will consist of frequent driving range sessions that will use photos and videos to bring what I see and feel to each member that follows the forum. I will provide instant feedback after each round I play with the RocketBallz irons. I will compare them to the Taylor Made MB's to give everyone a fair understanding in the differences each club has. I will use Facebook and Twitter to communicate when I post a new review on THP and also add little teasers when I'm planning to hit the RocketBallz irons again. When I'm not playing the RocketBallz irons, I will be checking the forum daily for questions and comments made by members and vistors that are interested in the Rocketballz irons. I also belong to a golf group at my club that consists of about 40 guys. We play every Saturday morning throughout the year. Every couple of weeks I will take a couple of the clubs to someone on the driving range and let them hit the RocketBallz irons to see what their initial reaction is to the club. I will video the "encounter" session and provide the feedback online to the forum members including the videos. Living in Texas makes for golf year round so will be out early and often!

Thanks again THP and Taylor Made for the wonderful opportunity 6 very lucky members are going to have!

Having these in THP testing prior to them going to market is amazing. Thanks TaylorMade and THP!

1. What irons do you currently play? Adam's a12OS / Nickent 4DX Pro's

2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex The Adam's have True Temper Performance 85 in regular flex. Precision regular flex in the Nickents.
3. What do you look for in irons? I'm looking for something in between the two types listed above. Mid size, fairly forgiving and long with good turf interaction and balance.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I think it's funny and should draw a lot of attention. If it's indicative of the clubs performance then I'm all for it.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'm here everyday and have been for 2 1/2 year posting off and on all day and evening. I try to be involved in everything possible and support THP and the companies who support us by way of Twitter, FaceBook, the THP forum and word of mouth. Many of my friends support these companies after seeing the products I have tested. I try to give solid, detailed accounts of the things I see and feel in the looks and performance of the tested product through my words, video's and pictures. When testing, I often play almost every day and post about that along with answering questions for the forum members.

Thanks to TaylorMade and THP for another great test product.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade R7's
2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons? Mostly feel but look at address is very important as well.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I actually thought it was a marketing ploy to throw off counterfeit club-makers. I wouldn't have expected RocketBallz as a TM line of products. Sounds more like Powerbilt. That being said I have no problem with the initials RBZ and if it produces results I don't really care what they are called.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am a relatively new member and was fairly active until we bought a house that we gutted and remodeled. My golf game and THP activity definitely suffered. The house is done and I am a member of a course very nearby so will be back fine -tuning the game on a weekly basis as well as actively posting in the forum.

Whether chosen or not I will be very interested to hear how these perform as I most likely will be in the market for new irons this year.

Thanks again to TM and THP.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner 2.0

2. What shafts are in those irons Both Type & Flex? Burner 2.0 SuperFast 85 in Stiff Flex

3. What do you look for in irons? In an iron the most important thing for me is the forgiveness, I don't like to lose a ton of performance if I catch the ball of the toe etc. At address the iron must inspire confidence to make the next shot. Lastly, the feel of a well struck (or otherwise) ball must be directly translated to the golfer. In short, something that takes my middling skills and allows me to play with authority.

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? On the surface I think the name is ridiculous. That being said, I appreciate what TaylorMade does with their marketing and have been very impressed how just the name "RocketBallz" has set the golf world on alert. With so many good products available I am not surprised that TaylorMade "took it there" to set themselves apart. Well played!

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? My participation level on THP is more in the role of lurker. Being relatively new to THP I have been spending the last 6 months absorbing the wealth of knowledge that these pages possess. I try not to post just for the sake of posting and make sure that my comments are to the point and helpful. When it comes to testing a new set of irons, my approach would be very organic and feel based. Lots of range sessions, some monitor work and plenty of rounds played. I am blessed with CA weather and would be able to put the irons into play straight away and continue to ramp up the play as summer approaches. Each session would be followed by a complete write up with an emphasis on comparing the RocketBallz to my current Burner 2.0s.

Congratulations to the eventual winners and thank you THP for the opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner (first generation)
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex Aldila NV stiff graphite
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness, then distance, then feel, then looks
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? Don't really care for the name. But, everytime I hit a shot close to the flag, I will scream "Rocketballz!" to my playing partners.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Having previously tested some balls, I take my testing seriously. I play a round once a week and post my comments after testing. For irons, I will add range sessions (at least once a week) to hit more shots per irons.

Thanks TaylorMade and THP for another great opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway X-24 Hot irons
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex Steel shaft Uniflex
3. What do you look for in irons? The main thing I look for in a set of Irons is distance followed by forgiveness. I'm not worried about workability much at all just as long as I get the distance I seek.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? The name is fine however the ball had best fly off the face like a rocket in order to live up to the name.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? If chosen I would play 3 rounds a week or visit the driving range depending on course conditions as its winter and wet here. I would give these clubs a thorough beating. I do not post on the forums much however I try to visit and lurk as much as possible.

Thanks for the opportunity THP, a few folks are going to be very lucky.

PICK ME

PICK ME

I would love an opportunity to test these irons, I have always used Nike or Titleist clubs and would like to see what TaylorMade has to offer, I have been eying there clubs for a few years now

Nike VR Full Cavity irons.

2. What shafts are in those irons? Stiff Flex True Temper Dynamic Gold High Launch S300

3. What do you look for in irons? The two biggest things for me are the look and feel of the iron. I want something that is visually appealing to the eye, but what is most important is the feel of it. I like to feel a little bounce from the ball off the club, not a dead feeling. I want an iron that when I make good solid contact, I can take the memory of how that felt and walk away feeling good about my game.

4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? When I saw on Twitter Dustin Johnson post something about RocketBallz I thought it was someone just joking around. No way they could name it RocketBallz right? When i saw some videos for it I knew it wasn't just a joke, they were serious, and I loved it! The green colors and the name itself set it apart from any other clubs in the industry. It's a great kind of funny name, that sticks when you see and hear it, and i love it and think it's a great name!

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i10's
2. What shafts are in those irons? Both Type & Flex Truetemper Stiff s300.
3. What do you look for in irons? distance and feel.
4. What do you think of the name RocketBallz? I think the name is stupid.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'd be hitting the range and course (if open) at least twice a week. I'm fairly quiet on THP since the cold weather here doesn't allow me to play as much as before.

Back