Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

Played a round yesterday and had one of my better days with the V2's. Thought I'd run down the different types of holes and how I did on them. Didn't hit a large GIR's like is usual for me, but my misses were close and seem to be getting closer all the time. That's promising to see.

It was crazy wet on the course. Lots of standing water and my tee distance suffered for that. Aside for it just not being that great to begin with haha. The point of that is to say I didn't hit as many iron shots as I would have liked. Had a hybrid in my had way too often it seemed.

Par 3's

Used the V2's on 3 of the 4 and missed left on all three. 7 iron twice and 5 iron once. Two misses were on the fringe and one was in a bunker about 15 feet off the left side of the green. All balls were solidly hit and had the distance I was looking for, but with a bit of a pull swing. That's been my prevailing miss with everything lately it seems.

Par 4's
Used the V2's on five par 4's and hit 2/5 greens with them. Here is the rundown:

9 - Pushed a drive way right and had to hit from a big hill over some trees. Blind shot to the green. Took a nine iron and promptly chunked the hell out of it.

10 - 170 yards and I was on a side hill lie with the ball way above my feet. Last thought before I swung was "I should take a hybrid'. HaHa. Turns out I was correct. Fat shot that was short, but did clear the water hazard I needed to carry.

12 - Blind shot with a 7 iron that hit 3 feet from the pin and rolled out a little bit. GIR. One of the best shots of my day.

14 - Fairway bunker shot with 9 iron that was hit poorly and went right on me.

18 - Big uphill shot to yet another blind green with the 7 iron. Hit the shot and was left with a 20 foot birdie putt. GIR.

Par 5's

Used the V2's on three par 5's and came away with par on each one. Hit one green and barely missed two more. One of the misses was not with the V2's.

2 - Hit my layup with a hybrid and nicked a tree, which caused me to be in the fairway of the next hole over. Had a pretty scary shot of 170 yards that had to carry a couple bunkers that typically kill me. Slight uphill shot. I hit a great 5 iron and it landed about 15 feet over the pin for a GIR.

11 - 7 iron layup from a fairway bunker. Nice and high and left me a good approach.

15 - PW to the green. Hoser pin way up front on the narrowest part of the green. Only was about 15 feet left of the pin, but still on the fringe. Up and down for par.

So, only had what I'd consider three bad shots. Two were fatties and the other was a horrible fairway bunker swing. My distances were still very good even though it was pretty cold. I'm playing a real soft ball, so I'm sure that helps.

I played 5 extra holes, hitting a variety of shots for some fun/practice and my last iron shots of the day was pretty interesting. I was set up at a 170 yard flag from some light rough/pine straw. I took the 5 iron and just rocketed the ball past the flag with two shots. Both were off the back of the green and carried around 180 yards. That's long for me with these irons. Then I took the 7 iron and was hitting the front of the green at 155-160 yards. Again, really long, though I was feeling really smooth in my swing at the time. Shows me there's some more potential out there if I can keep improving my swing.

I'm going to miss being out on the course with these guys, but it was nice to go out strong with them.

Nice info, Hawk! Glad you are closing out the year strong with the V2s. Seems that these have found a permanent spot in your bag (as permanent as a spot can be for an equipment tester).

Great writeup Hawk! I love that your distance keeps improving with these even in the cold weather! That's awesome! These irons are so good looking, I want to hit them really badly.

Due to some work I've been doing with another set of irons I hadn't hit these guys for a few weeks. Took them out yesterday to the course - temp tees/greens - and it was like seeing an old friend. I'm not sure if it's a fitting thing or what, but these irons just work well for me. One thing that really stood out to me was how much I liked the weighting. They feel substantial and nicely balanced. It was nice to get them out one more time.

Due to some work I've been doing with another set of irons I hadn't hit these guys for a few weeks. Took them out yesterday to the course - temp tees/greens - and it was like seeing an old friend. I'm not sure if it's a fitting thing or what, but these irons just work well for me. One thing that really stood out to me was how much I liked the weighting. They feel substantial and nicely balanced. It was nice to get them out one more time.
I have been gaming the 2.0s the past few weeks, and plan on putting these back in the bag for a round or two this week to see how it is when moving back to them. I agree with what you said about the weighting, I do miss the feel of these irons, and it's hard to beat the stock KBS 90s that came with the V2s.

I have the V2s in the bag for my round tomorrow, going to put them head to head with the Bridgestone J40s and see how they work out. Cant wait to get these back in play tomorrow morning!

I have the V2s in the bag for my round tomorrow, going to put them head to head with the Bridgestone J40s and see how they work out. Cant wait to get these back in play tomorrow morning!

Looking forward to this WE! I have missed these now that the white stuff is on the ground.

Looking forward to this WE! I have missed these now that the white stuff is on the ground.
Like you said in the J40 testing thread, these are still some of the best looking irons on the market. Every time I change out my 2.0s for the V2s, I am reminded of just how good looking of an iron they are.

I'm actually really looking forward to this comparison. They seem like pretty similar irons to me.

I'm actually really looking forward to this comparison. They seem like pretty similar irons to me.
They are close, the best way I can describe the difference, is that the V2 seems a bit more "compact" than the J40.

Heads up WE. I will be curious to see if you notice much difference in the leading edge.

Heads up WE. I will be curious to see if you notice much difference in the leading edge.
Will make sure I pay attention to that one for you.

Just went and compared the two, and they are quite similar. I am sure I will be flinging some divots out there with both sets tomorrow.

The V2's are still one of my favorite looking irons out there. They just look so sweet to hit!

Any further updates?

I think the testers are all very familar now and would be happy to answer any questions. I plan to add some more updates come April when I get these outside again. Used them yesterday for a round in the sim. My ball striking was good and the V2's have a soft yet solid feel when struck in the center. When I missed I could tell but nothing harsh. Tough to add a ton of feedback hitting on the mats.

I think the testers are all very familar now and would be happy to answer any questions. I plan to add some more updates come April when I get these outside again. Used them yesterday for a round in the sim. My ball striking was good and the V2's have a soft yet solid feel when struck in the center. When I missed I could tell but nothing harsh. Tough to add a ton of feedback hitting on the mats.

That's mostly where I'm at. Since the lessons, I do the bulk of my practice with the 6 or 7 iron. It was nice hitting them outside yesterday. I do think I'd like to get a little stiffer shaft in them now, but I do like the ballflight when I see it.

Any further updates?

I agree with what Howzat said, feel free to ask any questions you may have, as I am sure we will be able to help you out.

The V2s are not holding down a permanent spot in my bag right now, but I still play multiple rounds with them per month.

I want these. Dang you guys. I went back and reread a ton of this thread this afternoon. I think I want to have these to further cement my W/S homerism.

I want these. Dang you guys. I went back and reread a ton of this thread this afternoon. I think I want to have these to further cement my W/S homerism.

I'm with you, I need to get the Ci11's and the V2's to go along with my Di11's.

I want to take some swings with the 62s you posted pictures of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you, I need to get the Ci11's and the V2's to go along with my Di11's.

hahaha, why the hell not at this point? Just have a full on W/S closet. I could.

I want to take some swings with the 62s you posted pictures of.

I think they are easily as easy to hit as the V2's dude. No joke.

hahaha, why the hell not at this point? Just have a full on W/S closet. I could.

I think they are easily as easy to hit as the V2's dude. No joke.

How do they compare in club head size? The 62s look so tiny.

I've wanted them all along man

How do they compare in club head size? The 62s look so tiny.

You'd think they'd be a lot smaller but they really aren't. You know what I'm going to do for you tomorrow broski, I'm going to take my Nikkon and go to the golf shop to take some nice side by side's for you.

Back